Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I am just sitting here...sobbing...because I don't have my KS shipment notification yet.

For actual content: Board gamers are really weird with the 'destroying/changing stuff' of legacy elements. Are any of you guys actually planning on using removable stickers and what not for this? It seems bonkers to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

ShaneB posted:

I own the Broken Token insert, and assembled it, for a game I do not yet own. But it's pretty conclusively the best aftermarket one that isn't just a stack of Plano cases.

I'm probably going to wait until I get it to decide if I want the insert. I gotta see how much I hate myself setting it up first haha.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Oh no. I made a foolish mistake. I went to the KS page to see if the comments had any new US groups getting shipments and its basically just hyper board game nerds making GBS threads themselves in rage about shipping or lack of communication. Sigh.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Some Numbers posted:

This is fantastic news. Is that the last of the boats?

Pretty sure it doesn't unload gloomhaven in Cali anyway.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
E: ^^ YEAH YEAH. My brother in Seattle is already on his 3rd session. THIS DISPLEASES ME.

Some Numbers posted:

Fair enough, but Cali to Oregon won't take that long.

I just really want my copy okay? :(

You and me both. At this point I've basically watched every video I can about playing the game!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

CaptainRightful posted:

Did you have any add-ons? I was backer #2520 and I still haven't received my shipping notice. All I added were the solo scenarios. And I can't do the My UPS thing, because I get packages delivered to my work address.

I feel like back # has not played into shipping at all. Not that I could tell you the pattern haha.
E: Well...kind of know a pattern. I haven't seen anyone in Chicago get their copies via comments or bgg so its probably location based in some way.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 16, 2017

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Not to be that guy. But I'm okay with being that guy. Shipping notification for Chicago. Eta 21st.
My body is ready.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

:respek:

My buddy who is nearly as excited as I am asked if we can skip our Thanksgiving plans. It took me far too long to say "probably not" haha. Should start up that weekend tho.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Got my copy and punched it! I had only extremely minor issues, a bit of sticky spray stuff to rebind a map tile and a few spots where i had to use a knife to cut where the punch wasn't done well.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

ShaneB posted:

I didn't seem to get my invite to the opening play so get that to me thanks

hahaha
Did you get a KS copy or a pre-order?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
We are now 4 scenarios in to our campaign. Played with both 3 and 4 players.

Random thoughts about our experience so far:
Oh boy that setup. But the YASS plano setup has been quite solid at helping out with organization.
I thought I had a good copy, but basically in the few days since I've punched ~20% of the map tiles have split and I'll have to use spray adhesive to re-attach them.
It is very cool how different the classes are.
My group is taking the "We're a group of Merc's!" maybe too far - we often try and dick each other over while scraping by with a win.
We need to bump up the difficulty. The first game was our only truly close one and only 1 player has exhausted (me, because I ran around kill stealing others to scrape out more exp before I ran out of cards bc we had so much time)
Everyone likes to loves it.
I think for work night gaming sessions we could easily play a scenario in around 2 hours (basically have all decisions before starting the scenario made already and the game setup)
The game-play is just as fun and satisfying as we hoped. The chatting about general plans to the revelation of all actions...which then can often involve some improvisation...just feels great to play.
I unbelievably love the useless map and its dumb stickers.
E: Oh, also we like how the different scenarios mix up goals and how you play. If you didn't really like the first basic scenario then the game probably isn't for you (because its not radically changing), but we were very excited to how it can change up early in the campaign.

That is it at the moment. Man, I already love this game.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 27, 2017

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
At least if you hate it you can resell it quite easily. Don't feel like too much of a sucker.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Same actually. Cool.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Heck yeah. Doing our 5th scenario tomorrow.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
We retired our first char last night.
It took 5 scenarios!

Also tried playing at +1 difficulty and it was definitely better balance-wise. We may try +2 next time depending on the group I get just to see how that plays out.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

silvergoose posted:

We just leveled to 3, 2 player, which bumps up stuff to scenario level 2...and yeah that's a big difficulty jump, feels really good. One scenario so far felt super easy at 1, when we were level 2, but y'know, it's okay for difficulty to swing up and down as you're going through levels.

All in all, when a scenario starts out "holy poo poo everything went wrong in the first room, we're so hosed" and then we beat it by a narrow margin...it feels like the game is tuned pretty well.

Those are absolutely the best games. Usually mine go something like this:
Early game: This is fine....probably.
Mid game: Oh god we're hosed.
Late game: gently caress YOU IM NOT GOING TO ACCOMPLISH THE GOAL SO I CAN GO COLLECT THIS ONE COIN ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE MAP
End of the game: Good thing we spent 45mins on the last 3 turns and barely winning bc we're greedy assholes.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Some Numbers posted:

Hmm, I already ordered and received a bunch of Plano boxes, but I could maybe use those for other games...

If it helps, I love my plano setup for like 1/6th the cost of the Broken Token.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Not stickering the cards or map seems so foreign to me that I can't even fathom it. My mind just like breaks "But...what? But you're supposed to? I don't...what?"

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Mikey Purp posted:

So are there supposed to be a couple of blank white standees and one that is half white/half black in my punchouts? I have only gotten around to checking the component quality so far and everything looks good except for that and one board which is slightly unglued.

Yeah. It was a print change from v1 to v2, but the punch boards didn't change.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I really need to stop being lazy and fix all my split map tiles.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

malkav11 posted:

In my experience there's gonna be a lot of coins lying around unless you have certain classes with specific cards in hand. You'll have more options to gobble them up as the campaign progresses, but in general winning > getting another coin or two, and that goes double at low difficulties where each coin is only worth 1 or 2 gold. Chests are usually worth it, though.

Sounds like your group doesn't jeopardize the win for marginal rewards enough.

...but seriously, how has my group not lost yet considering how much we fight over coins.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Jordan7hm posted:

And if one of them draws a shuffle card, you don't shuffle until the end of the turn.

Shuffling modifier decks is an end of round effect, so yes.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Kiranamos posted:

Check the art on the Living Bones. He's got multiple arms he swings at everyone :getin:

Wait whaaa...
The things I've missed.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

KPC_Mammon posted:

My issue with this is that I'm at the point where I don't want any more perks because I've thinned my deck and have good modifiers. I'm also always attacking with advantage. This means all the random +1s and rolling modifiers make me worse, not better since I'm more likely to miss and less likely to draw +2 fire/ice.

That is the point where I'd be making a hard push to my retirement goal. My brute still could benefit from a few more perks so leveling/gaining checks feels great. Once that is past or I'm bored with his style...
I guess I am coming also from a really easy to accomplish retirement goal of Beat 3 crypts to get a character unlock mission - Cthulhu-like logo.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Im curious how you guys tabletalk or don't.
We talk about our actions like "I'm moving extremely fast and hopefully taking that guy out" or "I'm moving at avg speed and trying to get up in there to tank" etc.
I wonder if that is why we tend to crush these scenarios at +1 or +2 difficulty even while fighting like dogs over the coins/treasures.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Our communication is typically along the lines of "I've got that guy", "I'm going fast", "stay close to me", and "can someone set *element*?".

When cards are revealed and people are making their actual moves, there's a bit more communication along the lines of "Oh god please don't stand there", because while we could all look over each others cards and math things out silently, that doesn't really add to the game.

I feel like I need to switch my group to something more vague like this. It'll make turns faster and more interesting.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Are the rune messages something we're meant to decode on our own, or is the translation key an unlock at some point?

I thought the alphabet was included in the box on a sheet.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

KingKapalone posted:

Are 3D printers a common thing for us nerds to own now?

Hah that's how I feel. I am constantly surprised by how many people I know who own one.

On topic: wooooo! I get to play tomorrow after 5 weeks off! I need to review the ai movement/attack rules heh.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Mikey Purp posted:

I haven't actually used this yet, but it looks like a really good resource for navigating the monster AI rules: https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1ea-3nzBPMBkOF726D4W7ZT6XUYsa3xf0wffA21BrLjY/edit?usp=sharing

Ah perfect. Thank you!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Some Numbers posted:

Man, I got super excited yesterday because I get to play for the first time in two weeks tomorrow. 5 weeks would make me go stir crazy, I think.

It was very rough :negative:

We did unlock Enhancement though! So we're starting fresh off with that.
..Of course my Brute has ~4gold to his name...drat Scoundrel.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Played two scenarios yesterday. Honestly both came super close to losing but we were able to squeeze it out. In one of them we started really disadvantaged bc of a road event then won on the scoundrel and tinkerers last turn while the brute was already exhausted ( toooo much tanking). Hella fun.
I think we're tackling the Brutes retirement mission next to unlock Cthulhu symbol!!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Yeah, assuming they are in the same party. Downside being that the items they have purchased remain unavailable until they retire.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

FunkMonkey posted:

No. When you drop your current character, either through retirement or making a new one, they're gone forever. If you could stable characters like that, you'd effectively bar other players from taking all those classes, which would be kind of bullshit.

Where in the rules is that said? AFAIK both in the rule book and FAQ they just talk about creating a char whenever you want (in gloomhaven) and swapping already created chars in at will which would imply the opposite.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Tendales posted:

One thing we found that helped us keep track of original vs. summon is to put a coin on the HP box of every monster that's placed in the scenario, and move it to the board when the monster is killed. Summons/spawns don't get that coin, so you don't have to remember if they were OG or not.

....That is so simple and obvious. Thanks for this.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Afriscipio posted:

Scenario question in regards to retirement goals: is Scenario 8 a boss scenario?

Spoilering just in case someone cares about the answer...
The scenario book says (Boss) next to the bodyguards...also they use the boss deck so I would have to say "yes it is" haha

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

KPC_Mammon posted:

What kind of glue should I use for split cardboard? One of my bandit archers lost the top printed layer.

I am using a craft spray adhesive for all my poo poo that splits.

...I've had a lot of things split.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

misguided rage posted:

It's pretty rare that we end up getting all of the coins (with an exception when a certain class is present...) and if we do we normally take it as an indication that we need to bump up the difficulty.

Pretty much our approach. If we can loot everything then we're playing on too easy of a difficulty setting. That said, if you want to loot everything and don't care as much about the challenge...then do it big, both are legit.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Heck yeah, might unlock Cthulhu symbol tomorrow as our first retirement/unlock. I'd be retiring my Brute, but hes had a good run at level 6.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Tekopo posted:

The Brute got much more interesting once he had a couple of level-ups, I feel. His starting kit is kind of limited but once you get a few options, he has a lot of scope for different builds/strategies. It's true for all characters but I feel that some of the other ones have more scope at lower levels when compared to the Brute.

I definitely had a similar experience. I slanted towards a tank role because I play in a group of 4 with 3 other squishy characters (scoundrel, mindthief, tinkerer) but honestly now I am a pretty fun jack of all trades who also can tank the most in the group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Bum the Sad posted:

I want removable stickers before I gloom the havens. Fuckers are selling them for $50 on eBay for vinyl stickers.

You can play without stickering anything for a bit if you did want to start but wait for your weird removable stickers.