Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Hello, and welcome to the Bad With Money Thread 3.0!

I don't have too much to add, so for now I'm going to borrow from last year's

Previous threads:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555678
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819120

This thread is BFC's home for poking fun at the wide world of Bad With Money (BWM): six figure earners who live paycheck to paycheck, poetry majors with $120K in student loan debt, Silicon Valley venture capital flops, and everything in between. Well...almost everything. Having solicited feedback from the previous thread, I heard from over two dozen posters about what they'd like this thread to be. It is not my intention to squelch this thread under the weight of a thousand complex rules, but I think providing some basic guidelines offers clarity on how I will moderate this thread.

Therefore, without further ado, here are the BWM thread guidelines:

Things that could get you probated
This list includes actions that could get you probated. I say could because, as always, funny/informative/interesting posts are always welcome in BFC. However, the following types of posts usually don't add enough value relative to the trouble they cause:
  • Talking about yourself
    BFC boasts a wealth of threads for talking about yourself. Have a basic personal finance question? The newbie thread is what you're looking for. More specific questions? Check out the long-term investing thread, the credit card thread, the house-buying thread, the...you get the picture. Want to brag on yourself for a financial achievement? Tell us all about it in the Goons Getting Ahead thread, or challenge yourself to track your financial goals over the course of the year. Just have something small or cool or interesting to share that doesn't fit into another category? Pop in to the general discussion thread. And if none of these threads work for you, I love love love seeing new threads in BFC! You might even get a sticky out of it if your OP is interesting ;)

With so many places to tell us about how good or bad you are with money, there's no need to clutter up this thread with it. We all want to hear about your incredibly opulent/exceedingly frugal wedding, I swear, but not in this thread please! This also goes for asking for advice. Stories about family, friends, and coworkers where you play a bit role are fine, but stories about you belong elsewhere. Of the ~25 people who responded to my call for feedback, ~20 suggested a rule like this. Let's see which one of the 20 breaks it first :twisted:

• Getting the last word
    Disagreements are a natural part of this thread. The boundaries of BWM/GWM make for some pretty interesting discussion! There are many ways a disagreement can end, but one of everyone's least favorite is when someone tries to unilaterally end the discussion while also claiming the last word. For example, "I'm done with this derail, but [three more reasons why my opponent sucks and is dumb]" is lame as hell. Don't be that person! If you're done with a line of discussion, just drop it. We're all adults here.

• Getting mean
    Similarly, there is ample room to disagree without personally insulting your sparring partner. When disagreements turn to insults, the thread turns into an unpleasant mess for everyone else. If you feel like spitting some venom at someone, take a couple deep breaths first.

• Complaining about derails without adding content
    Derails thrive in a vacuum. Sometimes the thread gets stuck in a derail that most of the posters don't care about. If you see a derail that you don't like, don't just yell at people to shut up. Try steering the conversation in a new direction by posting a new BWM example or responding to a different, more on-topic comment from upthread. If you post new content, you are totally justified in asking people to knock it off and pay attention to your shiny new post.

The one exception to this is our thread mascot and forum hero, the derail bird. Please always feel welcome to post the derail bird at people who are badly derailing the thread. See the end of this OP for your derail bird starter kit. As for those (hopefully rare) situations where people are posting the derail bird at you? That means it's time to drop it or move the conversation elsewhere.

Other guidelines
  • I received some interesting comments about derails. Generally, it seems like people agree that derails are often good or interesting, or at least drive the thread forward when things are slow. However, derails become a problem when they (a) become too long and/or (b) turn rancorous. If the former occurs, the conversation should definitely keep going! But at that point the BWM thread is not the best home for it. Take it to another established thread, or better yet, start your own new thread here in BFC!

• On a related note, I received a few comments on both sides of the "take it to D&D" issue. Some posters feel that deep discussions about the politics and social norms surrounding money are better left in D&D. Others disagree; as one poster wrote to me, there's value in "admit[ting] that money is political." I tend to share the view of this latter group. Even as satisfying and unifying a hate-read as "If You Have Savings In Your 20s, You're Doing Something Wrong" implicates larger societal and political issues. HOWEVA: as noted above, discussions of this type should move to a different thread (if they get too long) or take a break (if people have moved from discussing to yelling).

Another way of putting this one is that business, finance, and career related D&D stuff is absolutely welcome in BFC (famous last words :suicide:), but the proper home for it usually won't be this thread.

• If you're sharing some of that purestrain Reddit BWM, please try to both copy/paste the Reddit OP and include a link. This helps other posters engage more with your thread, as we can go pull followup comments from the Reddit link and don't have to worry about the OP deleting their post in a fit of shame.

• Please no internet detective stuff.

• Sometimes the BWM comes from elsewhere on SA. You can definitely share those posts here in the BWM thread. Don't go poo poo up other threads, though, and if it gets too helldumpy I'll put the kibosh on it.

• Remember that this thread is most enjoyable when it's punching up. It's frequently enjoyable when it's punching sideways or down too! It's depressing when it's punching the mentally ill and addicted. Let's leave this last category alone.

• Please feel free to report things! Before I became a mod, I thought reports were only for stuff that deserved a probation. Perhaps this is the case in other forums with heavier report loads, but BFC is a pretty easy forum to mod. It is totally OK to report a post for any number of reasons, e.g. "funny possible thread title", "potential for this derail to get out of hand", etc. Just make sure you include a note about why you're reporting it.

The Derail Bird Resource Center

Old thread names, missed a few

it's not solicitation if you use counterfeit money
holy moly I'm gettin PAID why don't I own a boat yet
so that's how I ended up living in this giant hot dog car.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Hello, crossposting from the shitcoin thread

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-03/tesla-stock-on-a-blockchain-offers-hint-of-where-crypto-s-headed

A digital exchange opening next week will enable investors to trade in companies including Apple Inc., Facebook Inc. and Tesla Inc. outside of the U.S. even when the stock markets are closed.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Cacafuego posted:

My life is a BWM—->GWM story.

:frogout:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I bought a Mustang after getting no girls. Now I still got no girls and a $25,000 debt.

Too long for a thread title :(

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Is 25k rich?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I really like ancient architecture. Do they have a pyramid-themed investment option?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

So how attached are we to the thread title? This one seemed to be the most wanted.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

BonerGhost posted:

It's not exactly black magic why it works; marketing is the application of psychology to prey on people's fears and vanity. When it comes to marriage and relationships, most women have been socialized to expect a husband to take care of them in some way, or at least be able to. Not only does the ring help quantify that mate's value as a provider, it signals how much they value you. Most people when asked are going to tell you that money alone doesn't make a good mate, but when you present them with a situation in which someone spends less than the norm on them, they get uncomfortable and dissatisfied. There's the joke about the guy who takes a woman to McDonald's for a date and only lets her order off the dollar menu; everyone knows this guy isn't worth seeing again and he's a comical dirtbag figure. Add in that it's taboo to talk about money except obliquely and in jokes, yet everyone is interested in what others make/have, and you end up with this hosed up situation in which everyone is in a competition to light the most money on fire. Rings are a huuuge status symbol among many women. I'm fortunate in being rainman's cousin so most of that stuff just doesn't work on me, but I'd also be lying if I said I wasn't very pleased that my husband could and was willing to spend 3 months on a ring if I wanted one.

It's objectively dumb to spend money on things you can't afford, but at a certain point it just comes down to preferences and values. I don't wear much jewelry and a lot of the reasons its worn just don't interest me, so a large outlay for it is bananas for me. That said, I'm sure many people would think my hobby expenses are stupid af.

Does knowingly dating someone who is questionable with financial decisions and wide eyes for future spending make me The BWM?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Fhqwhgads posted:

So that's why you bought the M2

Which gang tag would you like?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

uvar posted:

640 sq ft ought to be enough for anybody.

Tell that to my ex

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

One of my facebook memories from 2017

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

therobit posted:

Holy poo poo. I thought there might be something more to it, but if you look at his rap sheet it is nearly all probations because a mod doesn't agree with his/her point of view. And this was in C-spam, not in D&D, which makes it even more strange since C-Spam is supposed to b a lot more tolerant of bullshitting and poo poo posting.

Occasionally when I see he's been banned or on a long probation, I'll check and see what post it was for and think "really?" :what:
I've seen times when there's nothing to consider as a rules violation, just disagreement or offering a different view.

I've seen some definite rule-breaking stuff, but then again, some mods appear to be a bit trigger happy.

Maybe it's because I mod like a hockey ref.

e: I don't know what the fascination is with arguing against the dogmatic political skew of the forums. It's like shoveling sand against the tide, and those :10bux: rereg costs add up. It's like going to the_donald and trying to push liberalism.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 18, 2019

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Is it a bad sign when someone who was employed all year with a decent salary tells you their savings account total is actually down from last year?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

In keeping with the theme I've been posting, is it a bad sign to hear "when I get those forms from my investment company and enter them in while doing my taxes, it makes the refund go down. I never see that money anyway, so I just leave them out"

Followed by "my dad transferred his timeshare over to me, do I have to pay taxes on that?"

This is not a gimmick

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Slugworth posted:

Horse trainer, GWM
Horse owner, BWM

Horse psychologist, GreatWM

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

150 retired racing greyhounds kenneled at a dog blood bank as blood donation slaves

Someone's been reading my diary

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I have nothing to offer except anecdotal evidence, but someone told me one of their friends bought a 750sqft non-luxury apartment in HK for like 1.25 million, and pretty much because of the school system

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

That's only like 200k USD

Whoops, 1.25 USD

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Sure, [Region] is expensive, but they don't even have [Regional Chain] Burger

And the beer there is all the same

And the drivers are bad

And the weather. Changes every five minutes, it does

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

This is at its heart a thread from BFC. So if guns are insurance in the case of societal collapse your team winning a Super Bowl, what would be considered the whole-life insurance of guns?

Whole-life insurance of cars: Tesla (honorable mention: 90k truck)
Whole-life insurance of pets: Horse (honorable mention: monkey)

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

For the next move, I nominate TCC, Games, or comics, all of which can be terribly bad with money.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/aq5xfk/dealership_changed_tradein_to_100_lost_2000_down/?st=js394qlu&sh=a464c56d

Dealership changed trade-in to $1.00, lost $2,000 down payment posted:

Hi guys,

I’m not entirely sure where to post this but personal finance seems like the best place. In June of 2018 I purchased a used car through a local dealership.

I got scammed. Hard. I now work in public finance in a federal position. After doing an in-depth training at my current job regarding loans, I decided to go back through my auto loan terms. I found out that the dealership changed my trade-in amount (which was going to be my down payment) from ~$2,000 to $1.00.

Of course at the time I was not aware of this. Not an excuse, but an explanation: One of their employees sexually harassed me while they were running my credit and I was kind of out of it when I went to speak to finance. Naturally, they seat you in a dark office and print the contract in the lightest ink possible.

My auto loan is ~$22,000 with 11% interest at 72 months, making the total over $31,000. Having that $2,000 trade in/down payment would have brought me down to the KBB price, meaning I could have traded it in for something cheaper now that my financial situation has changed. I tried contacting the dealer but they were extremely rude and naturally refused to even listen to me.

At this point I just want to know how to get myself out of this hole. My monthly payments are high and due to the interest, the principle isn’t going down.

Unfortunately, trading in and eating the losses isn’t an option for me right now. 1. I need a car for work, and no the bus doesn’t service my work. 2. I am unlikely to be approved for a personal loan to cover the difference, or even a new car loan for a cheaper car.

Is my only option to continue paying until I can refinance? And at that time, my amount owed cannot exceed the value of the car, correct?

TL;DR: Car dealer changed trade-in/down payment to $1.00 without my knowledge or consent. They’re refusing to correct this.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I don't know about my heart, but I know what my :dong: tells me

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Sock The Great posted:

If Watto's not your thing and you've only for $450 to spare.

But is there an oriface?

That'll work, thank you

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

BFC?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Nocheez posted:

The rules are the same for everybody: it's free to borrow, bring it back on time. I consider myself pretty progressive, but I don't see this being a class problem.

Rich people don't borrow books, they buy them from Amazon and have them shipped to their house or download to their kindle.

:can:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

:dogout:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

Counterpoint: We should permaban aneveryone

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeBjr8Bm_wA&t=570s

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Is there anything worse than going back to work after a bad vacation

Spending time with your family

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Hoodwinker posted:

from Wisconsin

Say no more

BMan posted:

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Are Timeshare Sales Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Don't Buy The Timeshare Like Nigga Close Your Wallet Haha

Definitely say no more

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Is there a case where time shares ever make sense?

Three words: time share horse

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Tree law is all bark, no bite

Wood you cut that out?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

DTaeKim posted:

Since we're talking about scams, I received an automated call about setting up an online bank account with the Bank of Scotland. The problem is that I live in the United States. I wanted to call them and ask about it, but it requires an international call. Do I chalk this up to a mistake or should I look further into it?

I live in Australia and got a collect call from the International Drainage Commission in the states. It cost me nine hundred dollars.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Eh worst case scenario is just a little kick in the bum.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Midjack posted:

Does Australia not warn you that you’re about to accept a collect call?

I had no time for that- I was worried about the bidet.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I thought Australia used the "Dollarydoo"?

Banned

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Midjack posted:

See this? This is my serious typeface.

:chloe:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

You can take this thread to the bank. The money bank.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

BonerGhost posted:

I really wish you had to pay :10bux: to make that joke.

I will make a donation in your name to the Human Fund.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

totalnewbie posted:

The law now states:

I'm guessing the Maine legislature is salty.

Is this a canned food pun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

therobit posted:

Maybe if he got smuckered into the deal.

When he gets in to a jam, he doesn't turn to jelly.