Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Huh, I didn't know they made a sequel to that weird Jotaro/Kakyoin doujin where Kira and Shigechi had an egg-child together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

TheLoneStar posted:

If only DIO was alive to see the worthlessness of Cheap Trick.

Hey, Cheap Trick is incredibly good in its use case of "potentially killing a shitload of people in a suicide attack." Imagine if you showed your back in a crowded place.

Imagine if you showed your back on live TV :stare:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Vookatos posted:

Oingo Boingo might legit be in my top 10 fights of the series because every moment is gold. It even spoils the punchline at the beginning, so you can concentrate on the insanity going on.
Iggy bringing the team trash orange and them going "Oh, that'll be a nice gift for Kakyoin" is the funniest poo poo.

You think Kakyoin does the weird tongue cherry thing but with a whole orange?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Augus posted:

rewatched the Josuke vs Kira fight and man Hayato really doesn’t question the “ghost dad flying around inside a photograph” thing for even a second lol. He’s just like “oh wow when did he get there, I didn’t notice him at all.”

Though I guess if you had the kind of day this kid has had nothing would surprise you anymore.

God, what does all of that whole exchange look like to him, a mundane person who can't see Stands? The inscrutable being that stole his dad's face and trapped him in a time loop is commanding the weird plant-animal thing he found in the attic to levitate in mid-air and fire invisible disintegration-missiles at the nice high-school kid who can heal wounds and reverse causality with a touch

This is poo poo that in olden times would inspire heroic epics and the founding of new religions, and it's the big final battle in a shonen manga that in context is impressive, yeah, but not THAT out of the ordinary. It doesn't even have a vampire in it!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

It'll be legally distinct Bisney characters like Ricky Rat and Scorpion Man

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I'm not sure Araki has every really given a poo poo what other people think about his creative choices, outside of a "what I find boring to write/draw will be boring for someone else to read" kind of way. It made thematic sense to him, take it or leave it. It's not like it's the first or last time that's happened.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Pucci's backstory makes me feel bad for him. It doesn't absolve him for all of the bullshit that he does afterwards, but still. :smith:

"He would later die of a cold."

At least he got freed, but :negative:

It never specifies how much later, maybe he died in his 90s. The point being, yeah of course he'll eventually die, everyone does, but it's still nice he got free and given a little bit longer to enjoy life.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I figured it was that when Emporio killed Pucci mid-loop and he got erased from the timeline, the thing causing the timeline reset was itself reset, causing a weird retcon-of-a-retcon creating some hosed up bizarro universe that didn't quite make ANY sense

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Darko posted:

Part 3 DIO gets his head smashed and can have limbs chopped off and put them back on. Part 1 DIO is cut in half and puts himself back together. I'm still not quite sure how getting punched on his Stands left leg makes him explode at the end, even with his left side weakness, but whatever - that's yet another weird Araki ending (I think he was saying DIO's spirit got weakened too, but who knows).

"Stand takes damage = User takes damage" trumps Vampire Immortality I guess. Dude got punched in the soul so hard it shattered, regeneration ain't gonna fix that.

It does make me wonder how the Stand Arrow's "either it kills you or it gives you a Stand" deal interacts with vampirism. Like is whatever magic mojo it uses to kill people something Dio would always survive and thus it's forced to give him a Stand by default, or was there a legit risk when he used it that it would just insta-kill him regardless? We know that Crazy Diamond can heal a lethal Arrow shot and it then just gives you a crap Stand because it has no choice, but Crazy Diamond bullshit is a league beyond Stone Mask bullshit.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Sweet, a battle between the two Stardust Crusaders that barely got any fights because they're both too broken for Araki to find ways to use them that aren't hilariously instantly lethal.

Maybe it'll turn into a three-way battle with Fugo :v:

(that would own actually)

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

So doing a watchalong with my sister who's new to the franchise and we just got to Tower of Grey, and I told her that going forward a lot of stands would be references to horror movies and she made an observation that shook me to my core;

Is the term "stand" itself a reference to Stephen King's The Stand?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Ah, so it's a complete coincidence that it's the name of a Stephen King book, like how DIO canonically isn't actually named after Ronnie James Dio

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

somepartsareme posted:

I want to say that Carne wouldn't have risen so high in the organization with a stand that does nothing, but keeping someone around just for the threat of sending them to kill themselves at someone sounds like something that would happen in Jojo

The Boss respects suicidal loyalty, what can I say.

A hitman who is basically 100% guaranteed to take out any conceivable target even if they die in the process is also nice to keep in your back pocket, even if it's only a one-time thing.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Because early Jojo's was really lacking in confusing animal cruelty

At least the crow didn't get hit by the rock and explode into gore?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Maybe that's the catbird

Man I wanna see what catbird's up to, would've been a good jobro

God that's like something out of a Lovecraft story, Dio's creepy chimeric familiar lurking around to this day like Brown Jenkin in The Dreams in the Witch House

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Josuke's arms are clearly not holding Okuyasu either, while Okuyasu has one non-visible arm that could plausibly be wrapped around Josuke's midsection.

Otherwise, they're magnetized together I guess.

Josuke and Hol Horse know each other, is it that impossible that he met Mariah too and this situation is Bast's doing?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

The sheer Tonio disrespect happening rn

Tonio hucked a knife at Josuke for entering his kitchen without washing his hands. He's an rear end in a top hat, just in the normal way all chefs are assholes.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Bisse posted:

Hahaha they pretended Avdol died just to gently caress with Polnareff, i’m dying

If I was Polnareff I'd never talk to these assholes again, y'all can fight DIO on your own

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

No Dignity posted:

I'm glad there was a Looney Tune JoJo

post/av combo

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Bisse posted:

- Netflix censoring, black airbrush over gore but also over JoJo smoking a cigarette??? What is this, China?

That's not Netflix doing that, that's how it was censored when it aired on Japanese TV, they have rather strict rules about portraying underage smoking over there.

It IS Netflix's fault for not using the blu-ray release that isn't as goofily censored

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Bisse posted:

- Koichi dating the psycho who tortured and tried to murder him, yeah right sure.

Let's be totally honest here: was Koichi ever gonna do any better?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

You know I just thought of something.

Didn't Araki say once that originally Fugo was planned to be a secret traitor and was gonna turn on the heroes, but he decided that was too depressing and just wrote him out of the story instead?

And Green Day is ALSO a hosed up bioweapon stand that melts people, sorta vaguely like Purple Haze?

...was the Green Day fight recycling ideas from a planned-but-scrapped Fugo vs the Gang fight? It would explain why this dickhead villain of the week earned himself a solid seven pages of punch rush. Like yeah guy was evil af, but Giorno muda-mudaing a former comrade who betrayed them all feels like it would really earn that sort of cathartic beat down.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Wasn't there some thing where Pillar Men also assimilate the knowledge of the people they absorb? Like that was how Santana learned English/German instantaneously?

Maybe one of the Nazis they ate in Rome was a big Burroughs fan :shrug:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Hol Horse almost certainly has a higher body-count than Kira, dude's still bad. He just does it for money and the Assassin Lifestyle rather than sexual gratification, which is... better?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

If I recall, Kira Sr somehow acquired an Arrow independently of Keicho directly from Enya. I guess they met at some point and bonded over being the late-in-life doting parents of troubled children? :shrug:

But yeah, Kira committed his first teenage murder of Reimi et al, his dad found out, and used the Arrow to give him some power to hopefully protect him from the consequences of his own horrible actions.

e:

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

If I was a stand user i would simply sit around stabbing myself with the arrow for a week or so

The danger with this, I think, is that every stab of the Arrow rolls the dice on "you get a Stand OR you die." You might have been worthy once, but can you be sure you'll be worthy again?

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 27, 2022

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Quote is not edit

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I wonder if the Arrow kills people in a way that DIO would be able to survive with Vampire Bullshit, and thus could have just kept jabbing himself with it over and over until he had all the powers, and he just never thought to try that. Or does it kill you via unblockable magic death curse or whatever? How do Meteorite Bacteria work here?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

In the manga, I don't think they ever try to explain why his hair is different.

I like to imagine that to signify his new lease on life, Kira did something like this off-camera and just decided to make the best of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNhGe07EzAg

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

bobjr posted:

I wonder if they tried to explain anything to the ambulance driver to make him feel better

Well the EMT lady at least heard him babbling about being a prolific serial killer and Boner haver, so she might have softened the blow for him a bit. With the way his body seemingly lurched under the tires of its own volition, people probably just assumed it was a "you'll never take me alive" style confession/suicide.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I will always appreciate that Dio stabbed himself with a mysterious ancient artifact that kills you and/or gives you awesome superpowers... twice. A century apart, on different continents, with totally unrelated magic artifacts.

Did DIO get out of that dredged up coffin and just start raiding museums and antique shops and stabbing himself with whatever he found on the logic of "Well it worked once, and it's not like it can kill me to keep trying"?

Is that how he found Anubis?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don’t think he admitted to being a murderer, and no one knew about Yoshikage Kira being a murderer.

He totally tells that EMT "My name is Yoshikage Kira, I've killed 48 women with beautiful hands, and you alone will know my true identity"

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Bisse posted:

I wonder what Hitler's stand was?

Armageddon Dildos

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I could sort of understand if it was a bunch of Stands, those can look sorta vaguely Pagan and supernatural and could be generously interpreted as "demonic" if you're especially conservative in a Satanic Panic sort of way.

This is just finding anime androgyny to be the work of the Devil

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Yinlock posted:

e: Also Giorno man hold your own flag don't make the old man do it, look Josuke is holding his just fine

Joseph's hands are tied in this matter, Giorno's his uncle so he gets seniority

...the Joestar family tree is weird

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

https://jojo-news.com/2022/12/04/part-9-jojolands-protagonist-will-be-a-joseph-joestar-descendant/

Araki did an interview for a magazine and gave our first bit of info for JOJOLANDS in that the protagonist will be a descendant of the SBR timeline's Joseph.

He is also interested in making a Thus Spoke story set in the Americas.

So... does this mean that at some point, Joseph hosed a penguin?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

Here's hope Araki comes up with the main antagonist before the last eighth of the story this time

Joke's on you, it'll be DIO again somehow

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

99.9% sure it's all dependent on people being like "that's a weird place for an electrical outlet" and touching it :science:

So Mariah basically has to hope her targets are curious enough or really need to plug something in for some reason.

Hence why it was a genius move on her part in that Hol Horse spinoff manga for her to team up with that guy who made all the illusions in Dio's mansion. Now ANYTHING can be a magic outlet and you'd never know you touched it!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The painting thing wasn't some esoteric requirement for the use of his powers that Araki forgot later, Kakyoin is just kind of a dramatic highschool edge lord. He's just a touch more restrained about it after the flesh bud removal.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

hey

hey guys

Jojo Rabbit

Part 9 protagonist is gonna have Stroheim as an imaginary friend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Bisse posted:

holy gently caress

Is this basically Rohan going to the Louvre and critiquing art and being an infinite fuckwad as usual? Cause if so take my money

If I recall, it basically follows the format of a Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe story where he confronts the Evil Opposite VantaBlack Mona Lisa, and also his ghost-ancestor