Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Cessna posted:

Lynn White's hypothesis can not die fast enough.

What hypothesis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ah, so that author decided to stirrup some trouble.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Dummy-do negation is the real big one. "John't didn't kiss Mary" WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT DO DOING THERE

Otherwise we'd have to deal with "kissn't'd" and ain't no one got time for that. :v:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

BalloonFish posted:

5)Sub-Lieutenants Under Training

Did they ever use the acronym form? :ohdear:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Xiahou Dun posted:

It also happens to be milhist-adjacent, but for Paris you can never go wrong with hitting up the Catacombs with half a bottle of red wine in you already.

I’m pretty sure the ghost of Victor Hugo is cheering you on if you do.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

A Festivus Miracle posted:

On the other hand, drinking alcohol out of a barrel meant to fire death allows you to experience truly novel things like the first case of tungsten poisoning known. dude drank wine out of the barrel for a FAMAS and it was a very bad no fun time

Is there a way around the paywall there?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

ChubbyChecker posted:

from the waffle images thread:

that was printed in 1900

drat, more hits than misses in there.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nessus posted:

They returned it too.

In theory you can make gold in a particle accelerator I think.

I think the Soviets did this by accident at one point, in one of their reactors.

The resulting transmuted gold was extremely radioactive.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

being officer to a forlorn hope (a unit which was to be in the vanguard to extreme danger, usually a breach in walls or an escalade) was highly coveted because it could launch great careers

Careers? As what, a corpse?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Oh, so it was the military equivalent of "get a job by walking into the store and handing your resume to the cashier while maintaining eye contact". :v:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Loezi posted:

E: Here's the "what teaching history is about" bit:

So you start learning history, but you never Finnish?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I googled Psamantha and found this:

quote:

My kids used to have friends in school whose names were Neptune, Galaxy, and Uranus. All girls.

And no, this is NOT a legend or a myth. Their parents were astronomers. Poor Uranus got it the worst.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

BTW, this came up in passing during the D-Day talk, but it’s something I’ve always wondered.

Someone mentioned that during WWII, the British had pretty much rolled up every German spy on the British Isles. Why was this? What was it about the UK that made the German intelligence services bounce off it?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Gnoman posted:

German intelligence was simply ludicrously loving incompetent.

Oh.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Cessna posted:

One thing that you need to remember about 1940s personal documentation is that it isn't like identification today where an agency or cop can instantly scan it in to check a database to see if it is authentic. Everything had to stand alone.

Yeah, nowadays 90% of what the border guards at the airport do is swipe your passport like it's a credit card. When you're not doing it yourself in an Automatic Passport Control machine, that is.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Groda posted:

I don't understand ski jumps. Can someone help me?

My uninformed opinion: The farther up in the air you go, the farther out you can glide before your wings have to lift you up.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

sullat posted:

Pretty sure the challenged party gets to pick the weapons so next time someone calls you out, go for it.

Monopoly - the house rules edition where there are no auctions and you get money if you land on Free Parking. :getin:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Comstar posted:

In conclusion, go watch Waterloo on youtube instead. Or Sharp's Waterloo which has better infantry combat with no more than 20 men on screen at a time.

In conclusion, go read the chapter(s) about Waterloo in Les Miserables? :v:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was watching a video about how important it was to develop a clock that would accurately keep time while on a ship without losing seconds/minutes for the purposes of determining longitude and it got me thinking: would a contemporary watch be good enough? Could I use my Casio F-91W to do this? If not, are there still clocks/watches made today for this purpose? Are they still mechanical?

A quartz watch (which is pretty much all modern watches), to my knowledge, is completely unaffected by environmental factors short of extreme heat or running out of battery. So in addition to what PittTheElder said, the mechanism wouldn't be subject to the fluctuations mechanical clocks of the time had to deal with.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

That's pretty cool. Thanks!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Libluini posted:

In an actual field battle Samurai would also use [...] Yumi

I dunno, mi, what's up with Yu?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

That book was really interesting. Grann's a good writer.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Everyone complains about Wikipedia, but no one actually does anything about it.

(So instead of complaining about it, next time...)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nenonen posted:

Cyrillicized forms of German and English names are also fun. You probably know who Genrikh Gimmler is. But who is Dzordz Uoker Buš?

It's Dubya! :v:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

You don't start what you can't Finnish.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

D-Pad posted:

Is it really called that or is that a typo? I started to Google it but then thought better of it so I am legit asking.

Manassas

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

:eyepop:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I have an old HP Envy (?) scanner that works pretty well for slides. It's got the transparency insert in the lid and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Saw this and thought of y'all.