Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Are Nazis in control of Ukraine's government? No.
Do they make up a significant or influential part of its legislature? As near as I can tell, no.
Do the root causes of Ukraine's conflict with Russia involve Nazis in any significant way? Absolutely not.

And with this being the case, my firm belief is that anybody who tries to point to the existance of Nazi militias in Ukraine or lovely individuals on the ground as some kind of gotcha is being both disingenuous and a shithead. Ukraine may have a problem with Nazis, same as many other places — but these problems have absolutely nothing to do with why Russia wants political control over the Ukrainian people and their territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Raskolnikov38 posted:

don’t forgot to include the hundreds of millions the west dumped into ukraine the past few weeks over this incredibly obvious farce

E: b =/ m

I mean Javelins are expensive but they're not that expensive.

e: didn't catch your edit

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Regarde Aduck posted:

Brave Ukranian militiaman fleeing surprise bombardment: "I did nazi that coming!!!!!!"

you're really dedicated to just making the worst possible posts, aren't you

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Rodiel posted:

How would the US government react if Russia tried to make an alliance with Mexico? You and people like you act like you cant understand Russias actions. I'm calling bullshit, I think you understand them very well.

This literally happened in World War I. Imperial Germany proposed a military alliance with Mexico in the event that the United States entered the war on the allied side, and even suggested that Mexico could get Texas back after they won the war. Mexico's government responded "what no that is the worst idea we've ever heard." When news of the proposal was leaked by Britain, most people thought it was clearly propaganda, until the German foreign minister straight-up admitted that it was true.

This isn't a particularly useful historical parallel since the context for these proposals, who wanted what, and the responses to them were entirely different, but it is very funny.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
oh lol you brought it up! And got the Mexican response completely wrong! Which considering how much knowledge you've demonstrated of both history and geopolitics in this thread is a completely unanticipated result. just utterly shocking. truly.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Rodiel posted:

its also very timely

mexico rejecting a nonsensical offensive military alliance with germany is not in fact a timely comparison to ukraine seeking a defensive alliance against a hostile neighbor.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Rodiel posted:

its not that complex, people think you are retarded for this

really incredible meltdown, absolutely terrific, keep it up

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Rodiel posted:

im sorry, im not explaining the imf to you, do some reading

Frankly speaking I doubt you'd be able to explain it correctly anyway, so thank you for sparing us.

e: thank you cinci for sparing us from more of their posts

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Really that's alot of it, command and control is a great book that goes over how dumb the military really was at times with nuclear weapons, and removal and disposal is a massive undertaking that no one wants to initiate because of logistics and saving face.

The weapons there should be removed though, especially with how turkey has been the last decade.

Will second Command and Control as a very good book. Relevant to the conversation, it's mentioned in C&C that at various points US security around Jupiter Missile batteries in Italy and Turkey were so hilariously minimal that all either country would have had to do to become a nuclear power was to brain a 2nd LT with a key around his neck with a rock. Which in turn was a big reason why the US was fine with removing the Jupiter batteries from Turkey after the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Grape posted:

There are many people who would deserve that red text, but Majorian isn't one of them.
I frequently disagree with him but the dude is fundamentally chill, and that rarest of rare, a true good faith debater.

:lol:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Baronash posted:

Sure, but OP has talked about vehicles in a number of their posts:

I'm completely willing to believe that's true, but I don't understand why. This isn't like when we left Afghanistan and had no reasonable way to bring all that equipment home, it's all still in their own country. These are vehicles that are presumably meant to move soldiers through uneven terrain in hostile territory, and they've been rendered worthless by what? 500 miles of highway driving?

Tanks and other AFVs are large, heavy vehicles that don't like to move very much. If well-maintained and a supply of adequate spares, they're more than capable of driving through extremely harsh terrain — but if they aren't maintained, breakdowns can be frequent and debilitating. Especially if there isn't a healthy supply of spare parts.

Of course, Russia isn't going to leave a top-of-the-line T-90 rusting away in the Belorussian mud. But it is very likely that the longer the Russian army sits on the border with Ukraine, and as more vehicles are concentrated in remote places, they're going to suffer an increasing number of breakdowns, and retrieving those broken-down vehicles is going to be increasingly expensive and difficult.

Vehicles breakdowns aren't going to cripple Russian forces, of course (...probably), but it's another reason as to why a long-term mobilization on the border is inherently unsustainable.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
loving Rubio, but:

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1496689463761817600?s=20&t=Vb_uFadgzxGoOjTnFgcBBA

e: beaten

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Charliegrs posted:

So who the hell is this guy and why should we believe what he is saying.

Come on people.

I believe it's coming from the Ukrainian military's facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/UkrainianLandForces

what a loving age we live in

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Tomberforce posted:

https://twitter.com/SAQI8732/status/1496730226679709698

Can't really tell if this is a bullshit fake video or not to be honest. Allegedly Kyiv....

(CW: no violence in video - just planes passing overhead. Still scary poo poo though)

That's almost certainly footage from an airshow with an air raid siren put on top of it. Aircraft are not going to fly that low, in that tight of a formation, in the middle of a combat zone.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Eggs posted:

"ghost of kyiv" comes across as such a blatant psyop.

Psyop? Dude it's very clearly war thunder/ace combat nerds trying to project their dreams into reality, there's nothing nefarious about it

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

From this angle I think it's definitely an aircraft of some kind — it looks like there's a trail of flares behind the debris cloud, which obviously didn't work.

The real question is what kind of aircraft it was, and what it was doing over Kyiv. Maybe trying to drop a precision munition?

If nothing else though, pretty solid evidence that Russia clearly didn't knock out all of Ukraine's air defenses. Unless it's actually a Ukrainian fighter that got smacked by a long-range missile

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Unless it's actually a Ukrainian fighter that got smacked by a long-range missile

Ah, hell. Unfortunately, though it's nice to hope otherwise, I think this is the most likely scenario for what happened: the Ukranian fighter was doing a low-level, low-speed combat air patrol, got picked up by a distant Russian SAM, and probably didn't begin evading/dropping flares and chaff until it was already too late.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

freebooter posted:

I admire Zelensky's decision to remain in the country but couldn't you argue it would be a better long-term decision to have a legitimately elected and recognised government in exile in a safe foreign country? Like de Gaulle in WWII?

de Gaulle wasn't elected, he was a charismatic colonel who refused to surrender and managed to get himself recognized as the leader of the Free French through sheer force of will.

For Zelensky, I don't see leaving the country while it's being invaded is a realistic option. It's the same reason as to why the British Royal Family didn't evacuate to Canada during World War II: If you're the leader of a country under attack, then it's hard to order people to fight and die when you're comfortable and safe. Better to risk becoming a martyr than be branded a coward and have the country lose faith in your leadership during its darkest hour.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Air raid sirens going off in the Kyiv livestream.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

FishBulbia posted:

Good thing there's no evidence of conscripts in this invasion

A hefty percentage of the Russian military is conscripted so it would be more surprising if there weren't conscripts involved.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Baronjutter posted:

It's insane to me that the west isn't flying and shipping in as much "lethal aid" as the transport network allows. Just drown the country in anti-tank missiles and portable AA systems.

Anything the west tries to fly in directly risks being shot down, and most Ukrainian airfields are damaged or disabled.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Fill Baptismal posted:

Modern anti air, especially the kind capable of taking down current gen warplanes with countermeasures, isn’t just a stinger missle on some guys shoulder. It’s a whole unit with radar, vehicles, etc. that need logistical support and training.

This is also a big factor. I'm sure Ukraine would love a couple of Patriot batteries, but without training they'd be almost useless, and would likely be destroyed before they can accomplish much of anything.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

fuctifino posted:

I've seen this posted in a few places as footage of the II-76 that was supposedly shot down:

https://twitter.com/mitkofx/status/1497361983523414021

That's from last night, which was (probably) a Ukrainian Su-27 that got hit by a Russian SAM.

Zhanism posted:

This is part of the plan. Airfield are priority first strike targets. The Ukr AF likely began to disperse days before the balloon went up.

That definitely would have been the smart move.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Eggs posted:

why is that word banned?

the word in question is, in the US, typically seen as extremely vulgar and misogynistic. Obviously it's not seen that way everywhere (see: Australia), but given that the mods/admins are primarily US-based it's not surprising they're policing it heavily.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Despera posted:

Like holy poo poo these people believe the United States is the only country with any agency throughout human history

gavrilo princip was a cia plant

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

punishedkissinger posted:

i thought Tractor Plant meant Tank Factory?

No, it's a literal tractor factory. Both the Kharkiv plant and the famous Stalingrad tractor factory, among many others, were built during Stalin's first Five Year Plan to build tractors, in order to help modernize and mechanize the Soviet Union's agriculture. During World War II, the Stalingrad plant was converted into a tank factory, while Kharkiv was evacuated and destroyed. After the war both reverted to producing tractors, which Kharkiv does to this day. Or did, anyway.

Fun fact: Both the Kharkiv plant and the Stalingrad plant were designed by the Detroit, Michigan-based firm Albert Kahn Associates. Kahn was an extremely influential industrial engineer, and some of his other designs included the Ford River Rouge factory (the biggest in the world when it opened), the Detroit Arsenal Tank Plant, and the Willow Run Bomber Plant.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

The Kingfish posted:

Seems like an insanely bad idea to just hand out thousands of guns to an untrained civilian population.

Ukraine has conscription, so a large percentage of men have already had basic training on how to fire and maintain these weapons.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

the popes toes posted:

Yeah, and what's the difference, in effect, between a blockade (war war) and a full and total financial denial (not war war)?

A blockade prevents anyone from trading with the belligerent, sanctions prevent those within a certain country from trading with them.

So Russia is still technically free to trade with anyone who's not sanctioning them, but unfortunately (for them) most of the world financial system goes through the US and Europe.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'm not sure those pictures are even from tonight, looking at the Kyiv livestream the city is almost entirely blacked out.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Telsa Cola posted:

56 tanks is a lot a lot so id want a couple other sources to verify things like that.

Could be lumping in APCs and IFVs. Would still be one hell of an ambush though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

KitConstantine posted:

Apparently Russia is digging some vehicles out of mothballs. Can any tank guys verify the ids in the tweet

Stretched thin on equipment across three fronts or didn't have as much modern stuff as suspected?

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497712081759522820?t=QrW3_occsYk15yBN9BFUSg&s=19

Jesus, T-72As? Those were obsolete in the loving Gulf War.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

the popes toes posted:

And if anyone can answer? Where is Ukraine's armor?

My understanding is that there's a major push by Ukrainian social media not to post pictures or video of Ukrainian military movements or positions. So we don't know where many Ukrainian regulars are, but that's the point — because if we know where they are, then Russia does too.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 27, 2022

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

cinci zoo sniper posted:

US probably knows where the modern strategic bunkers are. Random pundits definitely don’t. Forget about mansions, those are just meant for gaudy photo ops.

There's rumors that Russia constructed a big ol' bunker complex at Mount Yamantau, but those are just rumors. It's probably most famous for showing up in Metro: Exodus, wherein it's filled with cannibals who lure in refugees by claiming to be the remaining Russian government on an emergency broadcast frequency

As an aside, I didn't realize that the developer of the Metro series, 4A Games, was originally based in Ukraine.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Dante80 posted:

The above is 100% correct.

It's absolutely nonsensical. The statement demands "immediate international antiwar response demanding de-escalation, [and] international cooperation," but also "opposition to unilateral coercive measures, militarization, and other forms of economic and military brinkmanship that will only exacerbate the human toll of this conflict." What does this even mean? Are they suggesting that if the world sits down and asks nicely enough or protests hard enough, that Putin will stop firing MLRS into a city of 3 million people? That if the US says "Okay, Ukraine won't be in NATO" (which is already the effective status quo) that Russia will cease trying to eradicate Ukraine's democratically elected and popular government? As a statement it is both contradictory and utterly deranged.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

TulliusCicero posted:

Is it possible it's quiet in Kyiv because the Oligarchs and Putin are having a friendly "chat" about the money situation and nobody in command knows who is going to lead Russia by next week?

If Russia is planning on a full-bore assault of the capital, they'll need time to gather their forces and prepare the assault. This is very likely the calm before the storm.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

It means take poo poo from the rich that are funding this war ya dummies.

And what does this even mean? Take poo poo from the rich? You mean the Russian oligarchs that have already lost a tremendous amount of wealth from international sanctions and the cratering Russian economy? Or is this somehow referring to the Western world, whose supplies of arms are one of the major factors in preventing Ukraine from being overrun? So that to create peace, Ukraine's ability to defend itself must be crippled?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Exactly.
I’ll believe the west actually gives a gently caress when the UK takes that poo poo and gives it back to its citizens or donates it to refugees.

Taking the oligarch's toys isn't going to stop the war, and believing otherwise is hopelessly naïve. They don't run the show: Putin does, and his motivation to invade Ukraine has nothing to do with money.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

TyrantWD posted:

Putin runs the show because he has the backing of the oligarchs. He would have likely died years ago as a retired KGB nobody with cirrhosis if the oligarchs didn’t put him power.

Putin rose to power because of the oligarchs, but that was twenty years ago. In the time since then Putin has become immensely wealthy himself, and personally concentrated much of the power of the modern Russian state. He's certainly had no compunctions against murdering those who've crossed him, or putting others in jail for years.

rrradical posted:

He's not worried about Ukraine becoming a gas supplier on par with Russia?

Maybe some part of him is, but that's not his overarching goal. This man sees the 1990s as the greatest tragedy to befall Russia, and has spent almost all of his career seeking to restore Russia's borders and international prestige. He's not invading Ukraine because they're an economic threat, he's invading because he believes Ukraine to be a core part of the Russian Empire, and them attempting to become closer to Europe is an insult and a disgrace.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

gay picnic defence posted:

The relationship is a bit more complex than that. The oligarchs are definitely strongly influenced by Putin but Putin needs their support and in return he makes them rich. Beyond that they don't seem to have any particular loyalty to him or to Putin's dreams of restoring the Russian empire so it's entirely feasible that some or all of them decide that there's more money to be made with someone else running the show.

It's a complex relationship for sure, but at the end of the day Putin is still the one firmly in control — he is the one, after all, that has command of the FSB's assassins, and there are rumors that his personal wealth eclipses that of the rest of the oligarchs combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

gay picnic defence posted:

For sure, but by targeting the oligarchs you are targeting the only people who have any chance of putting pressure on him (aside from a popular uprising among civilians or the armed forces).

I do absolutely agree with this, but unfortunately that probably won't be enough.