Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
When are we going to see varying amounts of classic English "Tradie Crack"? If you could genuflect in front of some of them while praying, it would be a great series of pictures.
Sort of like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

poo poo, now I kinda want a bulkhead door leading to some kind of random drawing room/pantry.

As long as you lose the knee-knockers

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

NotJustANumber99 posted:

also separately what the gently caress have i been left with here? from a brickie that is now refusing to come back...

WTF? Kill a farm animal and leave its head in his bed, or at least on the doorstep.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think I didn't explain very well before the strategy that we have fallen upon (maybe ill chosen terminology) for erecting the trusses.

So I've got this scaffolding arrayed outside the building and similar inside. We drive the digger up with a few trusses on the forks. Then my brother and I walk them sideways off the forks, across the scaffolding and into position. Fix with some temporary bits of wood and shuffle down one and repeat. I'm sure this isn't the way to do it but lol I dunno its the best way we've got to do it.

Making OK progress

Lol so you can sort of see why they left me the brick mario fresco, with the other end of the vaulted room similarly unfinished waiting for the oak purlins to eventually be installed. But that isnt what we agreed and it isn't even to the right height.

Further lol as I'm looking back through my photos at this point Ocado left me a magazine for a student style meal which I just had to make. Potato waffle bean bake.

The trusses are going up pretty quick. I haven't shown you, hmm, need a photo of it but the outer leaf of blockwork is actually too high so I'm having to machine out a little groove for each truss to sit down in. More block layer woes.

So we have a day away to excel for a home build show thing, first one really that I've seen since covid. Its rubbish nothing there, windy day too so pub meal outside is called off.

get back and ah

yeah been windy

Builder absolutely won't come back now.

So what actually fell over, I can't tell? Also, don't concrete block walls get some kind of reinforcing rod grouted in vertically?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Jaded Burnout posted:

The top of the block wall opposite the mario wall fell off. You can see it in the drone photo.

Depends on where in the structure it is, but not as a matter of course (lol). Once it's all together they're not required to freestand like that against the wind.

OK, that all makes sense, thanks!
ed: yup, now I see it.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lost all the car batteries and a compressor. Neighbours lawn mower. A day faffing around. My sense of security. My faith in humanity.

Did the bricklayer ever come back?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
OK, so why aren't the builders coming back? Can you sue for breach of contract?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Read the sentence as "Well a standard UK house is just under 1.9L in volume..." and was perturbed for a few moments.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

SpeedFreek posted:

In the end when all that is left are the cockroaches and your foundation there should be a record left behind.

"This place is a message...and part of a system of messages...pay attention to it!

Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.

This place is not a place of honor...no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here...nothing valued is here.

What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.

The danger is in a particular location...it increases toward a center...the center of danger is here...of a particular size and shape, and below us.

The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.

The danger is to the body, and it can kill.

The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.

The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited."

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

:buddy:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Biscuits are very stale now. Tea bags covered in cobwebs.

Artisanal Hardtack

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Foxfire_ posted:

Plan Exuberant Elk (buy heat pump stuff in Sweden, import it yourself via ferry) seems at least vaguely practical, especially if you're willing to accept the simplified (more expensive) tariff schedule and pre-declare + pre-pay everything so you have parts, a bill of sale, and completed customs paperwork that all match when you show up at the border. It would also be a new entertaining boondoggle for the thread, possibly with exciting pictures of scenic scandinavia!

I like this idea, along with the name

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
What is the firewood market like around you? Availability? Cost? Lead time?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Nice piece of fish posted:

I'm curious about that too, actually. What if you get a strong wind up there (that slatwork is for ventilation, right?). Won't it just make crazy fart noises in winter?

A farting roof to piss off the neighbors is the best idea I've heard for shelter.

ed: Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses › Towards an L shape architecture: the roof makes fart noises

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

:drat:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

NotJustANumber99 posted:

eurgh. ratty is such a shitbag.

Anyway.

So the whole vehicle thing is a real pain in the arse. Part of being a self builder is being able to disappear off on ebay money savings. But I need a vehicle, and roofrack and towbar and such to do that.

So... given the saab failing its MOT so heavily, I've instead spent that money on...

A pickup truck. I am now loving cool.

Yeah so...

driving it home from some incredibly dodgy wonk eyed yokel. Its blown up.

the AA are, completely out of alphabetic order, total C words about it.

Accuse me of driving without tax and insurance and stuff. gently caress you I just bought it heres all the codes, come pick me up you fuckers.

Which they do... after quite a while. its a sunday so the guy explains he has to take me to like a motorway service area.

This is further from my house than where I broke down? He says someone will come to check on it, hes just removing me from the dangerous hard shoulder location.

This is like 3 o'clock in the afternoon.

theres an app. but my job keeps disappearing off it. my phone is now dying.

pushing midnight...

after midnight.

so yeah I dropped 4k on a truck that instantly blew up and then spent all sunday with the aa subcontractors lying to me and dragging me around to different motorway service areas so they dont need to deal with me.

so again. here I am monday morning with my works vehicle

So what can you do to remedy the situation? Who did you get the truck from, a reputable dealer or somebody selling it from under a bridge arch?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Oh my
:cripes:
I hope things somehow work out.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—“A vast and L-shaped house of stone
Stands in the village... Near it, on the sand,
Not sunk, a great foundation lies, whose floor,
And heating track, and aerate bricks out fanned,
Tell that its builder well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The thread that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is not just a number, ninety nine;
Look on my house, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The surprisingly level foundations stretch far away.”

Yowza!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

WhatEvil posted:

If you'd seen his posting in other threads you probably wouldn't think it's an undue amount.

Eh, I'm just interested in his posting here. I'm impressed by his undertaking and progress, though I sometimes moan and think "what are you doing that for".

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Spray adhesive on the walls, then spray finely chopped wool. A good flocking should up the r value and add color and texture to the house. Want 3D patterns? Get out the ol’ beard trimmer and go to town.
Some examples:
https://imgur.io/gallery/iMI1qy7

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

sebzilla posted:

This is how to stress test a door

https://youtu.be/9v34zHuW_uQ

Use the Kool Aid guy instead

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

goatface posted:

Big metal gate to secure all your gas canisters and highly volatile liquids.

A 400lb block of concrete would deter burglars

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Leperflesh posted:

ummmm
so with those two wood corner brace things there I'm assuming this won't be an overhead/roll-down door? And now with the floor sloping from both sides of the drain I'm wondering how you'll have swing open doors without having to cut them really high and leave a gap at the bottom?

have you considered the door situation is what I'm asking I guess

He could use a barn door on a track
https://www.richmondau.com/product/country-style-black-steel-3m-barn-door-hardware-kit-bhr005/

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

LloydDobler posted:

Also might be time for a locking gas cap given the site history.

Yup, every chav needs a new tracksuit sometime.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Foxfire_ posted:

OSHA thread found some of your brickie's other work:
https://i.imgur.com/snp3VSj.gifv

They built too greedily, and too high

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Action movie idea: “A Hedge Too Far”

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I forgot to include my new idea for tidying and separating cables in trunking to aid with cooling and meeting grouping requirements.

Need a squishy rubber divider you put in every metre or so but has to be removeable, as in not have wires passing through actual holes.

I couldnt find anything online so invented my own to 3d print in some squishy rubber and become a millionaire this time next year rodney.

The trunktopus:

Iä! Iä! NJaN99 fhtagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nafh N R'lyehaa NJaN99 wgah-nagl fhtagn—

""Hail! Hail! NJaN99 Downloads! In his house at R'lyeh, dead NJaN99 waits for bandwidth.""

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

NotJustANumber99 posted:

spent today penetrating

[

Coupled with the inability to actually source a store tank since the one i wanted went out of business. I had a glimmer of hope on ebay, finding a much bigger and higher spec carbon fibre pressure vessel than I actually needed. It wasnt intended for this use and would have required some modification but the seller has gone weirdly silent in the last 36 hours or so?

Was it made by OceanGate?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Splode posted:

I'm imagining a thief knocking off the doorbell, plugging in a laptop and hacking the front door smart lock.

Meanwhile, his colleague breaks a window.

As a Russian, he used a rock.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Been waiting for this the entire thread

He has the courage to show the toilet.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

goatface posted:

Use it for your hottub.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Good, gently caress Munger and all of his vile allies and supporters.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses > Towards an L shape architecture: I pump my gunk in

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Gasmask posted:

Stop whining about your blocks. This is what they look liked when they're proper hosed:

https://twitter.com/ProfPaulDunlop/status/1686869987183501312

I foresee a new IRA weapon in that region: the Wall-Piercing Scone

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

"There must have been a mighty crowd of dwarves here at one time ‘ said Sam; ‘and every one of them busier than badgers for five hundred years to make all this, and most in hard rock too! What did they do it all for? They didn’t live in these darksome holes surely? ‘ "

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So I have trodden in poo poo today.

Round the back, right by the plant room door. Stunk. No way it's a deer or anything.

Like dog? But where from? So is this a human poo poo?

I took a photo. Do we want to see it for analysis?

Bring it out

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

It looks like you bought the world's most complicated DIY bong

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

everdave posted:

Will he be making GBS threads in the bushes along the way?

I’m glad someone else also had this thought.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses > Towards L shape architecture: Just use Aluminum Composite Material cladding, it’s very cheap now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
<Kramers in, panting wildly> Why don’t you build another roof over top of the first roof so your upper gutters will drain right into the lower gutters?