Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

TulliusCicero posted:

:stare:

Uhhh, not to sound almarmist or anything but in history "Praetorian Guard/ Palace Guard showing clear signs of disloyalty" is a BIG old red flag for most empires and civilizations, like the "Heads on spikes" level red button. These fucks should be investigated and USSS should be purged.

Not sure why are decorum addled boomers think we as a Civilization are just special and safe from palace coups.

So when you are calling for purges, that is you not being alarmist?

It seems pretty apparent that this was an intentional effort by someone in the USSS to avoid complying with the subpoenas from the Jan 6 committee. It's good that this is being investigated by the National Archives and it will be interesting to see what exactly they determine the reason behind this kind of behavior was.

Even if the decision to purge the phones was planned months in advance, that doesn't really mean anything. Based on what the committee has discovered, the planning for jan 6 was definitely started many months prior. So it is definitely a big red flag that warrants a complete investigation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

mdemone posted:

I don't mind if the Secret Service stays in existence, but they have to fire literally everybody. Every last one of them, no purge, just completely raze it to the ground and rehire/rebuild it, use an independent board to do it if you have to.

You think arbitrarily firing every SS agent, people who have committed their entire lives to obtaining the positions they now have, is somehow going to lead to a better formation of that organization? Why would smart or talented people want to work for an agency where they can be arbitrarily dismissed based on pure speculation?

Jaxyon posted:

Guys, I dunno if having this secret police named the SS and staffed with goons loyal to a white supremacist fascist was a good idea

How are the secret service "secret police" beyond having the word "secret" in their name?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Lemming posted:

They lost *every single text message*. That doesn't happen without either a top down wipe without a single person making any backup themselves, or coordination between everyone to not back anything up.

And no, they did not actively work against Trump as a whole. Did we already forget that Pence was explicit about not wanting to go with them because he was pretty sure they were just going to kidnap him?

You think federal police are routinely making redundant backups of official work correspondence?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

mdemone posted:

Well my (apparently wrong) understanding is that you're not the target of whatever grand jury is looking at, so it's not about you and you can be compelled.

Then again IANAL.

You can always plead the fifth if answering a question has a real possibility of incriminating yourself.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Uglycat posted:

If Israel or The UK believed they had indications that Donald Trump was about to transfer custody of US nuclear secrets to the Saudis, for example. Would they inform Biden?

e: about the passports, there's this one little inconsistency that I keep coming back to.

Trump claimed 3 passports, one expired. The doc the feds sent indicating their return states that there's 3 passports, two expired. Nobody has commented upon this (seemingly insignificant) discrepency.

Why is it there though?

e2: the '2 passports (1 expired)' was the first we heard that he had more than one passport, and that caused a quick explanation for why it might make sense for trump to have exactly those passports. Then we see the doc from the feds (trump leaks that too, yeah?), and there's an inventory discrepency.

Most likely they would do what they perceived to be in their best interests to do - what that calculous is and the circumstances it depends on is too complex to really break down. Israel and the UK both have vested interests in the status quo with the United States positioned as world hegemon.

Who gives a gently caress about Trump lying about how many passports he has?

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 16, 2022

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

cr0y posted:

I've been on these forums for nearly 20 years and I still don't know what this emoji means.

You don't have to admit embarrassing facts just to get help

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Oracle posted:

"I had people who took care of that for me, I had no idea where my passports were."

This was actually even true while he was president. All your personal effects go into storage and your documents etc are taken care of for stuff like international travel.

Also amusing and presumably why he was so attached to it:

So you get the name of the person who was handling those documents, then you say you're going to charge them with these charges unless they cooperate, and they then testify that Trump directed them / had knowledge / whatever.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Fuschia tude posted:

More than "I hate cops and don't trust a single word they say"?

Saying poo poo like this just means some rear end in a top hat that loves cops and believes everything they say replaces you on the jury and votes to convict. If you hate cops you should keep it to yourself and participate in the jury trial

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Judge Schnoopy posted:

It occurs to me that in an insane world, Trump could have loaned out those documents for 'donations'. And that at the time of the raid they may not have been given back in time. Meaning that, in this insane world, somebody is out there holding classified documents they're absolutely not supposed to have with no way to give them back without admitting what happened.

But we can assume in our sane, totally normal timeline that the documents are all there, only disorganized.

What exactly are you trying to suggest?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Trump is bringing back his unsold intel in exchange for clemency #truestory #buttryemails

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
They do have an appeal filed. :rolleyes:

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Rigel posted:

Just a reminder that PPP "loans" were never meant to really be loans from the very beginning. They were always intended, and everyone involved knew this, to be a bribe to businesses to not lay off their employees. It was structured as a loan to force them to pay the money back if they didn't hold up their end of the bargain. And yes, for businesses that were doing well and never intended to lay off employees, it was free money, but it was a crisis and we didn't have time for complicated bureaucracy.

lol yeah totally, it was the best system they could come up with. Definitely not free money to businesses with almost 0 strings attached.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Bel Shazar posted:

Slow walking a prosecution due to political concerns should be obstruction of justice.

lol this would result in so much stupid bullshit in practice, it's an absolutely insane solution

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

FilthyImp posted:

I don't know what sick thrill Tigel gets from carrying water equivalent to the Pacific for Trump and the seditionists but that must be some exhausting release man.

Just like laughing at the nerd going "b...but the LAW says..." when Trump and Co wiped their crusty taints with the concept.

"Oh, I mean MTG and Boebert we're just excited to show all these 3%er Militia Men and Planning PPl all around the capitol! Especially Pelosi's office and egress routes!"

"Well of course they were tweeting and texting the movements of the Reps! They didn't want anyone to worry!"

Honestly! Why give any of these freaks the benefit of the doubt! Why!?

who is tigrel? When I goggle search that name all I get is a weird mobile game

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Is confusing coop with a coup a minor spelling mistake?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

VitalSigns posted:

I was about to ask why she would tell Trump to gently caress off after bending over backwards to help him any way she possibly could but then I clicked the article and read that the appeals court gave her no choice

Lol that someone this incompetent and/or unethical gets to be a judge for life, what a system

I uh, have some bad news for you. It's about all governmental positions since the beginning of time. You may want to take a seat...

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Inner Light posted:

Hey folks. How soon do you all think we will know if these criminal referrals are a nothingburger just like almost everything Tyrmp related the last 5+ years? Few more months, few more years?

Is it tiresome to post like this? if you don't think this process has any valid purpose then why follow and comment on it? Would you prefer that they not make a criminal referral?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i have no idea if this process ever leads to the crowning 'gotcha' moment that plenty of people would love for it to lead to, but I don't think even the staunchest of nothing-matters poster 2 years ago could look at the current state of the republican party and trump's personal stock as a candidate and come to the conclusion that there have been no consequences or that this is anything other than a big loving deal for republican politics.

and it continues to be a major issue which will directly effect the extent to which Trump is ever held to account for his actions. The idea that this is a nothinburger is strange to me - we are in completely unprecedented waters for U.S. politics. The idea that anyone on this forum can draw any solid conclusions about the impact of this committee and what transpired on January 6 is doubtful.

What is clear is that there are factions wthin the republican party that want to be done with Trump - in many ways they have been handed a tool that could be used to accomplish that goal. Whether anything that major will happen remains to be seen.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Jesus if yall are gonna do... Whatever this is, would you at least take the time to quote each other's earlier posts? This tepid drek can't even really be called flaming, and it certainly isn't debate.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I dont think any U. S. Congressional committee is going to effectively dismantle the power structures of American fascism, and certainly not in one go. There are definitely cracks in the right's armor, however, and this committee has helped bring some of those deficient participants on the right under public scrutiny.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Bel Shazar posted:

I would have been happy with fully acknowledging them, rather than ignoring the root causes.

What do you feel like was left out? I think they painted a pretty clear picture where anyone with the interest to do so can connect the dots

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Bel Shazar posted:

Well personally I would go back to the 3/5ths amendment compromise but it would have been enough to start from Nixon and the southern strategy.

You'd prefer the committee produce an overbroad report that nobody would bother to read?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Bel Shazar posted:

I believe that one purpose of the probe is to insulate the wider republican party from any guilt related to January 6th.

Uhhh why do yiu believe this?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Dr. Faustus posted:

Do you mean when they showed Rhonna McDaniel, the head of the RNC, testifying before the Select Cmte. the RNC assisted Trump with the fake electors scheme? Because that would be the opposite wouldn't it.
Or was it when they outed legislators who requested pardons after J6?

That was the red herring used to nuddy the waters so the real culprit, the illuminati, could slip away!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Tayter Swift posted:

They sell those things? There's a PDF though.

There are published hardcopy versions of most big congressional special reports like that. Unfortunately all the people who would have bought them are succumbing to covid 19

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
This discourse is why everyone hates internet leftists

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Judge Schnoopy posted:

And the confederacy lives on to this day. What a loving mistake that was. We probably shouldn't make that mistake again or chuds will be flying thin blue line and Trump flags 150 years from now.

This guy hates flags!!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
to much q_q-ing about "mattering" it's easy to see why the fascists keep winning

UGH NO ONE IS COMING TO SAVE ME!!! WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH PROBLEMS OURSELVES!11 WAHHHHHh

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

bird food bathtub posted:

How many of them did more than pay some fines? Not even ruin-your-life level fines that can happen to normal people, just fines.

Being a convicted felon is a significant punishment

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

V-Men posted:

He did a short amount of time in federal prison, which arguably matched what he pled guilty to. But it seems small in view of the larger scope of the crimes he did. And being a convicted felon is a significant punishment for people who apply to jobs who screen people with convictions, or rely on sorts of government welfare, etc. But is it a significant punishment for a guy who already makes around 100k from his pensions alone? His being a convicted felon won't ever block him from accessing anything he wants.

Just because someone is able to survive or even do well in the aftermath of a criminal sentence doesn't mean the sentence wasn't significant. In fact the number of lives destroyed by criminal sentences in the USA is a critical flaw in the US justice system that needs to be addressed immediately. The solution isnt to make the system more punitive.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

cr0y posted:

No, gently caress that poo poo. These judges need to stop even opening the motions, The entire strategy is delay delay delay delay.

The response needs to be an immediate "TLDR. Denied"

Yeah, that's not how you want any court to operate, ever.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

mdemone posted:

I feel awful for whichever judge has to read that 483 pages of nonsense

Their clerk is gonna paw through it first and the Judge signed up for that poo poo. it's the cost of getting to wear whatever you want under your robe in a courtroom and having goon bailiffs that do your bidding.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

AtomikKrab posted:

Jokes on anyone who things the Judge isn't into exactly that poo poo, and if they are not a trumpist judge will also directly enjoy tearing apart that nonsense in a scathing manner.

Jesus it is tiresome reading this schlock from posters with locked in syndrome, whether its about Covid or Trump. Please take your fake-Cassandra rear end to a street corner to spread the good news from a soapbox kthx.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 21, 2023

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Red posted:

Delaying is the tactic; even if SCOTUS doesn't bail him out (and who knows), there's still bullshit related to what they're forced to do

Seems like a losing tactic at this point. All of these investigations seem to be gaining steam right as the 2024 Presidential election is taking off. I'm not sure the timing could be worse.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Deteriorata posted:

Fine and probation seems likely for this type of crime. It's relatively small potatoes compared to the other stuff in the docket.

Maybe they'll sentence him to community service. Let him serve soup to homeless people for six months.

You've read the indictment?

I really doubt the Manhattan DA's office decided they'd like to risk their health and safety to nail the president for a minor fine and some community service. But hey, keep the dream alive.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 31, 2023

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Deteriorata posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/03/30/donald-trump-indictment-what-it-means/?itid=hp-top-table-high_p002_f002

Whatever, dude. Rage on.

I fully expect Trump to spend some time in jail, just not for this particular charge.

That person opened up their article by saying they have no idea what the actual charges are, so they're basically talking out of their rear end about the entire thing. There is nothing "usual" about a President being charged with a crime in state court, let alone 30+ counts. Nobody has seen the indictment as it's still under seal, so nobody has any idea exactly what he's going to be dealing with other than the DA's office. I can tell you that DA's don't enjoy trying difficult cases, doubly so if they're politically sensitive, so I doubt that this is going to be some run of the mill case. Every DA in that office is about to get targeted by the Right Wing hate machine and their lives are going to be turned upside down to one degree or another. That's not a scenario that they would undertake without a significant reason for doing so, in my estimation.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Alterian posted:

I saw my unhinged neighbor and her husband (who was wearing a red had) frantically clean out their van and throw luggage in it and leave last night. Any word on where the crazies are going to protest?

I would think either Mar-a-Lago or NYC,. but that is just a straight up guess.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Guest2553 posted:

I'm a rando on the internet and I think setting the precedent of indictment is the bigger deal and part of why this one happened first.

Thanks for reading!

Hell, maybe, but I'm not sure that kind of idealism would carry out the day when you're dealing with a case of this magnitude and profile. There is a reason that Trump has evaded charges up until now. I'm sure the reasons are diverse, but the ideal of "setting the precedent that the (ex) President is not above (state) law would have been present at numerous other opportunities.

But I don't have any special insight into this thing so we will have to wait and see. Its entirely possible that the Manhattan DA office is already bungling this thing and all we will get to witness is them crapping the bed, but I hope that's not the case

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Sounds like some sources are suggesting Trump will be facing 34 felony charges. Class E felonies carry a minimum sentence of a year in Prison, though it looks like there can be circumstances where a judge could go lower if the circumstances of the case warrant it.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Oxyclean posted:

Isn't Trump the guy that said cops shouldn't do the thing where they protect the person's head when they're putting them in the cop car?

Just sayin it's kinda hosed up we don't at least get to see him in cuffs. Not just from two-tiered justice perspective, but like, karmically.

yeah uh if you want justice or karmic balance don't look to the criminal court system