Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Tolth posted:

So, we're in our final thread before the series ends, huh?

lol there are going to be at least five more threads before this series ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Holy poo poo, on top of being fourth, did they Duvalize his bounty photo AGAIN???

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Sindai posted:

Bold choice to have Junji Ito design the movie original character

What original character? Isn't that just Jinbe in the back?

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

This seems like a ridiculous thing to do now and not in 5-7 years

Check out my limited edition copy of 3/4ths of One Piece

That's cute that you think we're already 3/4 of the way through OP and not like 1/2.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I can't believe Imu killed Blackbeard just like that.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Marluxia posted:

I can't believe Imu killed Blackbeard just like that.

But seriously, what happened to Moda, Dr. Blackbeard and the other folks from Ace's cover story here? That was the same island that Imu just nuked :ohdear:

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

DeadBonesBrook posted:

It could be a case of Ohara not being well-defended, so a Buster Call would suffice in getting the job done (at least, that's what they assumed). The Special Im Cannon could be saved for bigger targets that pose more of a military threat, with this kingdom potentially having its own army/navy/fruit users that could cause a tangible threat to the established world order, especially if they get hooked up with Dragon's people.

They already hooked up with Dragon's people, that's how the king got overthrown. We see Moda from Ace's cover story personally take out Pinkbeard of Blackbeard's crew with the help of the revolutionary flag devil fruit woman.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I don't understand why people are so down on Fishman Island. The nosebleed gag turning into a plot point was bad, but like, Hody being a weak rear end villain is kind of the point?

He's a pre time skip tier villain facing off post time skip strawhats to show how they grew in that time skip. And him having no real motivation, again the point. He's institutional hatred personified.

It was cool to see the pay off to Fishman Island finally happening. Want was good too. Hopefully Elbaf is strong too.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

I liked FI a lot more on reading but still maintain it’s trying to do two stories at once and one of those isn’t a “story”, it’s the shonen standard post-timeskip “hey wow guys, look how much stronger everyone (except Luffy and Zoro) got” and the latter interferes with the former.

I get that but I think in this case it did help a bit that Luffy and gang could have solved the immediate problem at any time, but that wouldn't have helped human/Fishman relations in the longer term at all.

It would just be more of the standard white savior trope, so to speak. Luffy only coming out once the public started shouting out for his help transformed that situation from a human thinking they can just solve everyone's problem to the Fishmen telling the human that they can help.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Terper posted:

Yeah but they also ~visit places from their memories~, you can tell by the trailer that it's not them being there the first time, they remember everything

e: people are speculating by some imagery in the trailer that other potential memories will be Enies Lobby and Skypiea

Based on this portion or what? I can see the cloud for Skypeia, but I'm not sure how you get Enies Lobby from that. But I do see a fish, Fishman Island?

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Could you get much higher?

https://twitter.com/onepiecepanel/status/1411779884289040388

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Ma-Lady is an A+ pun but I have to wonder how that even works in Japanese.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

Everyone in One Piece makes gross tears, it's kind of a theme.

:colbert:

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

jesus christ Dr. Vegapunk is literally 5head personified

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Eiba posted:

I feel like he should be part of Vegapunk's supporting team or something, but we spent all this time introducing a bunch of Vegapunks so we're left with Sentomaru as the only non-Vegapunk character here.

spoilers: he's Vegapunk too.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Marineford and Dressora!!! Was there no specific trailers for those two?

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Odyssey trailer: Luffy saving Ace in this memory of Marineford would be incredibly weird and yet from that trailer, I could see the strawhats managing it. I don't know what to think about that.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

ThingOne posted:

You'd think somebody in the WG would've noticed that one of their top agents is the spitting image of a member of the most dangerous pirate crew to ever exist, but I guess that's what you get when you violently memory-hole anything that makes you look bad.

But the time gap between how Stussey the Rock pirate looked like, and how Stussy the CP0 looks like now is like 20 years. At best, maybe an old hand goes, "hey, she looks kinda familiar?"

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Oh no, Yamato being on that cover fills me with dread, considering everyone else there.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Geez you people. You're all overthinking it.

The Gorosei are real and both Imu and them are just shadowed so that we can get a proper surprise when someone fights them for real.

Kaido and Big Mom got the same treatment, are they shadow puppets of Imu too????

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

mabels big day posted:

Yes. Imu has the censor-censor no mi. He can censor and obscure any story details from the reader. Truly a sinister power

I mean, that would actually be a fitting power for someone like Imu/the Gorosei.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

As someone earlier pointed out, we can see awakened zoan clouds on at least two of the Gorosei. But I find it dubious that we would have two awakened zoan fruit users and three non awakened. And even being in the shadows like this, I think we should still be able to see the clouds on some of the others, which suggests to me that not everyone is a zoan.

I don't think we've ever seen an awakened logia user, but we have seen an awakened paramecia user, and they didn't have the zoan clouds. Some paramecia fruits can change their forms too, see Mr. 3 or Trebol.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

No Wave posted:

Thats what I mean tho 19 swords means everyone except lily swore subservience and stayed. So the one missing sword has to be Lily's, meaning Imu woildnt be one of these 20 people.

Surely no one would just.. lie like that??? Say they don't want to be the ruler and give up a symbol, when in reality they do??????

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Was it explicitly pointed out that Lily did not give up her sword? I know there was a whole conversation about there only being 19 swords, but this problem is solved neatly if we assume Lily did, and the one who didn't give up their sword was Imu.

Or all 20 in fact did give up their swords, but after Imu became immortal and everyone else died of old age, Imu just picked it back up.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I'm not entirely convinced that ISN'T transformed Imu up on the throne in that page, but I guess it's possible one of the gorosei jumped back really far after that fireball.

But take a look at the previous page, when Cobra is stabbed the first time with that tail or whatever it is, that's definitely from Imu. None of the Gorosei had transformed at that time, and then when Sado attacks Imu directly, you can see Imu's eye start to stretch out like so and he's eating the fire:

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Mercury could always have the fabled water water logia fruit. There is a blob figure among the five.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Larryb posted:

Her dad’s dead and the WG is hot on her trail, in other words there’s no reason for Vivi not to formally join the Strawhats now (also I hope Carue’s ok)

Agreed, but also her country will need a leader now more than ever, with Cobra's death, so I'm not sure.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Ronnz posted:

After reading the chapter again I noticed something that stood out to me, if we are to believe that the Nefertaris are Ds then why didn't Cobra smile when he died?

Him dying without smiling if he's supposed to the part of the D clan seems to be a pretty big oversight to me.

Cobra kind of didn't have time to smile, he was too busy dying trying to tell Sabo his last message. He wasn't afraid of dying at least.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I know the standard "you're a dead man walking but I'll answer your questions anyway" is a bit of a cliche but I like how it's presented here. Imu doesn't actually care about answering Cobra's questions, they're only bothering to because Cobra is asking dangerous questions that will kill him, and Imu's answers provides context for the question Imu is pretty sure they know the answer to, but want confirmation anyway.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

oh gently caress, Garp is throwing up death flags :ohdear:

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Mr. Beast Pirates

jesus christ

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Kild posted:

The villain in FI wasn't Hody, it was what he represented (racism).

Fishman Island was a good arc :colbert:

Nuebot posted:

The entire arc feels kind of off for me especially with how they just straight up kill? Monet which as pointed out feels kind of "out of character" given how the series rarely actually kills off characters and it doesn't really feel like the strawhats achieved or did much overall even though they did, narratively.

I think this is more a set up for the Dressora arc. The crew acts like a family, crushing that mook that laughed at Pica's voice etc.

But lurking back in your mind is the fact that Doflamingo ordered Vergo and Monet to die and they did so happily. Vergo was even Doflamingo's right hand man too. Any of those weirdo would slit their throat on the spot with a smile if Doflamingo told them to.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

yum posted:

It's been emphasized that Conquerer's haki is extremely rare, one in several million people, and not something you can gain through training. The cabinboy from East Blue had the qualities of a supreme king the entire time. Would it have been too sudden to reveal this during Marineford? Feels like a last minute decision sort of thing, but Koby needs a powerup like this if he's to be an admiral and be an analogue to the future King of Pirates.

I'm more or less okay with it since it's set up for the upcoming fireworks factory conclusion, even if it is an asspull on par with Sabo's rapid elevation to big fish. Oda has more than enough goodwill after all these years.

Dunno why people hang onto the one in a million thing so much. It's an one in a million thing because most people are lazy and don't really have any ambitions. Actual resident of the New World aside, anyone willing to be there, by definition have some kind of ambition.

Fraudhawk? Pfft, he couldn't even hurt Buggy, and constantly chickens out of fighting Shanks. Got really scared when Buggy suggested going after the One Piece.

He aint poo poo

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

God Ussop has Divine Haki, a level above mere Conquerer's Haki

"D" ivine Haki

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

rannum posted:

Fraud Mihawk is probably my favorite meme

What do you mean, meme?

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Which level of Impel Down would leakers end up on?

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

One Piece rules.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I used to be ironically excited about this live action show. Now I'm unironically excited.

Which is gonna make the inevitable Netflix cancelation after the first or second season painful.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Alabasta is about the furthest I'd see the live action get to as that would be a second season. Any further is pushing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Gologle posted:

Nami.............

Someone else has already said it, but how the gently caress did you forget "Luffy... Help me"??? That's the first time Luffy has willingly given up his hat to someone else, everyone else just waiting for that request, the whole goddamn walk to Arlong Park, cmon man. Also, the ending to the fight is just a continuation of that scene too!

That's going to be the big test of the live action show, every other scene pales in comparison!