Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I’m so glad Carrot and Yamato decided to join the crew and look forward to their adventures! :buddy:

You joke but the strawhats didn't say goodbye to someone important and they already have a habit of stowing away on their ship.

Caribou is going to be the next Strawhat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Remalle posted:

Will Luffy get a 10th Commander to balance out Blackbeard's 10 Titanic Captains?

Nothing is guaranteed but this seems pretty likely. Oda specified at some point that when Luffy said he wanted 10 Crew at the start he wasn't including himself so there's still one more spot. If Yamato and Carrot are out, my money is on Vivi now that she's relevant again but who knows.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

Zoro vs Mihawk is gonna happen in-story, but I'm not sure it's gonna be shown to the readers necessarily. The way the story's going Cross Guild isn't likely to end up being a major antagonist, especially cos they're not gonna rehash Crocodile as the arc boss. It's probably all Blackbeard and the WG from this point on, so when and how is Zoro vs Mihawk gonna happen on the way to the story's endgame? Defeating Mihawk specifically wasn't Zoro's dream anyway, it was to be the world's greatest swordsman and Mihawk was just a benchmark.

I think they're just gonna have a duel in some remote island off-screen that would last a week or something in the epilogue.

I think we are close to getting past the point where arcs just constitute a single enemy organization that the strawhats have to fight through one by one. We are more likely to get an arc with all the yonkos fighting one another at once over the one piece with the world government clashing against them all in the mix. Think of something less like Enies Lobby and more like Marineford in scope. So whatever happens at the end, Cross Guild is going to be involved in some fashion.

How else will Pirate God Buggy sneak the one piece out of laugh tale at the 11th hour while everyone else is busy fighting.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
I dunno, I think it would just be lame if Mihawk just got merced by Shilew or whatever before Zoro got a chance to fight him at his peak. There's so much build up for it since the early days of the comic when Mihawk crushed him with a tiny sword at Baratie. He's literally the example that Zoro has been striving to surpass for the entire duration of this comic since then.

Like Mihawk can be maimed or killed afterwards by whoever, but Zoro needs to beat him up at his peak first. There's really no other character that could take his place that would be anywhere near as impactful. Now if the point of the comic is that he doesn't get to accomplish his dream by the end then fair. Gives him an excuse to stay with Luffy for more adventures in the ending or whatever.

But if he does accomplish it he's not gonna accomplish it by beating some secret super mihawk 2.0 who jumps out of a bush in the final arc.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Delphisage posted:

It's not really an improvement to go from "I wanna know the people of Wano" to "I was scared of Shanks". Oda might as well have shown a retroactive panel of Yamato getting conked out by his Conqueror's Haki.

It's nothing about being scared? He's not afraid of shanks, it was Shank's Haki that scared off the admiral. Yamato is saying that Wano would have been in bad shape if it weren't for someone like that being around. He's admitting that Wano right now can't protect itself and so he has to stay to help defend it.

It does feel like a last minute thing because Oda changed his mind but as an excuse it make more sense than Yamato staying because he wants to sight see.

Though if Pluton is involved in the final arc, it probably wont be long until Yamato is back in the story anyways. After Blackbeard/Crossguild/etc attacks them for the weapon (whoever Caribou is leaking information to).

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I feel like Franky should have had more to do with the Pluton reveal since that was his whole "thing" in Water 7. Having it boil down to one reaction shot after the fact feels weirdly understated for how much of an influence the potential thread of Pluton had on his life.

That's a fair point. Franky really should have had more involvement in that. Hopefully in the upcoming arcs he'll get to do something. Maybe at least he'll get to interact with Vegapunk?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

goblin week posted:

Luffy would turn the island to rubber

If that's why they fear Luffy's fruit that would be hilarious. Screw Pluton, I want this to be how they counter Uranus.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

What if Caribou is the only person who wholly believes in Luffy's dream?

We never did see his reaction. It would be hilarious if this turns him into a full on Luffy supporter.

Even if not, he could still be the means by which the world at large learns about Luffy's dream if he spreads rumors about it.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

tbp posted:

i think i've mentioned this before but it gets under my skin a little that the narrative weight is placed on pedro last there. it's implied that its bc he's the only one who is dead among those listed, but at the time of luffy saying this he should think that kinemon is dead and also pedro hardly has a relationship with kaido and his conquering of wano

Jack destroyed almost all of Zou because they refused to betray the Kozuki's by handing over Raizo. I'd say Pedro has some relationship with Wano and the Beast Pirates.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Tree Reformat posted:

Okay, so I'm convinced that by the end of the arc Vegapunk will permadie. The dude's dream is literally to become Helios from Deus Ex/the Borg from Star Trek/Instrumentality from NGE. That's never depicted as a good thing in fiction, folks.

No he's trying to do something much worse, he's trying to create the internet.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Eiba posted:

I understand that but it's not clear if that's true. Is shanks a worse swordsman with one arm? Does that mean he's currently a weaker fighter than he used to be? Is he somehow a worse swordsman but still stronger in general (maybe because of haki)?

This is my guess. There has to be some way for him to compete and earn his Yonko title. His crew has no devil fruits and his swordsmanship is worse since he lost the arm (according to Mihawk losing interest in fighting him, the guy seems pretty good at assessing sword ability). So Haki seems to be the place where he could make up the difference and for all we know Shanks is the strongest Conqueror's Haki user alive right now. Though fighting someone like that probably isn't interesting to Mihawk because swords is his thing. It's not like Mihawk is rushing to fight someone like Kaido.

So even if Shanks is stronger than Mihawk overall, it would still make sense for Mihawk to have no interest in someone who isn't going to match his swordsmanship.

But yeah, no idea who'd win in a fight, but I don't think Mihawk's lack of interest means that Shanks must be weaker than him.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah I feel like this is a chance for some dialog. Maybe Jimbei can get some things he learned from Who's-who confirmed or something. Lucci is smart enough to know when he's outclassed and isn't going to force a direct fight to try to beat Luffy. But there's a lot of ways they could still have a conflict with one another. Like Lucci could distract Luffy while the others go look for Vegapunk or he could try to kidnap Bonney as a bargaining chip or whatever. It seems like there's a lot of options for how this could go.

Lucci and Luffy being forced to work together somehow would be the most hilarious option though. Real Kuma showing up suddenly to bop everyone away would also be pretty funny.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

They seem pretty even in pure power given that they both launched each other back, so far only on real blow has been landed on Lucci and he recovered right away, so this will probbably be an intense fight given that CP0 should have control of the Seraphim. Kuma and Kizaru should both be heading for the Island as well.

I feel like that happened because it was a fun callback to Enie's Lobby and not because Lucci is matching Luffy. It brought a smile to people's faces and that's what Luffy does while using Gear 5 so it's on brand!
But yeah they are by no means equals here. Luffy completely outclasses him (I don't even think Luffy is using advanced conqueror's haki here?), that's why the seraphim are in play to even things out in Lucci's favor.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Scholtz posted:

Luffy (probably) doesn't need photon-gloves to punch Kizaru, though; Gear 5 should work just fine

He already grabbed lightning so yeah, Gear 5 should let him punch Kizaru (unless Luffy not being able to hit him would be funnier or something). Though Luffy could probably also do it with Haki alone at this point.

But the existence of the light gloves/saber makes me think someone else is going to end up fighting him. Since Luffy wouldn't need them. But he could still use them for fun I guess.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

I mean when that happened Luffy was also almost dead and at complete exhaustion. There's no concrete proof yet sure but there's also no reason to believe that Gear 5 is causing Luffy anywhere near the same level of strain his prior Gears did, considering those were Luffy brute-forcing his body to gain strength and speed versus Gear 5 which by all accounts should be completely fine since it's just his "natural" devil fruit ability.

Yeah, I think Gear 5 is going to be the norm from here on out. It's not so much a trump card but rather Luffy becoming his most true and free self. It is massive power creep sure but Luffy is a Yonko now and no longer the underdog that he used to be. So I think it fits.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Eiba posted:

I know Luffy knocked out Lucci just now, but it seemed to use up the last of Luffy's power.

We don't know if he truly expended all his power or not. He did the same gimmick during his fight with Kaido before he bounced back as if nothing happened right afterwards. He's not alone in that regard though. Lucci looks pretty good for someone who was just pummeled into unconsciousness a minute or so ago. Awakened Zoans are just built different probably.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Julias posted:

You gently caress with Luffy, the Strawhat armada and his allies will gently caress you up in retaliation. It's that simple really.

Yeah the one thing all Yonko seem to have in common is they have considerable forces under their sway. Even Buggy has his company which is an impressive force on the world stage. So it would be in the government's best interests to not pick fights with Yonko unless they absolutely have to. Because doing so is going to be very costly even if the government eventually wins.

Though ironically, an alliance between Vegapunk and a Yonko might be one of those things that justifies a war in their eyes. Even though the government is responsible for it happening in the first place.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

I've never understood the "well <character> can't join the crew, what would their position be?" argument. Like, it doesn't matter, Luffy would make up a position for them if they were a good friend, what matters is bringing your nakama along on this adventure.

Yeah that ship sailed so to speak when Luffy recruited an archaeologist. Which makes sense for the setting but is hardly a traditional role for a pirate ship.

Though to be fair in that sense, Carrot/Yamato did have pretty defined roles as Lookout and Chronicler/Record Keeper respectively. And you have roles like Quartermaster, Deckhand or even Swabby that are non-combatant roles that almost anyone could fulfill. Roger had two swabbies after all so it's not impossible. So there's really enough room to justify a role for just about anyone who might join.

For instance, I don't think many people anticipated that Jimbei would be a Helmsman until Wano when he officially joined. But he fits the part well enough now that we've seen him in that role.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Larryb posted:

Luffy said near the beginning of the series that he wanted at least 10 crewmembers, if Luffy himself doesn't count then we're still missing one

I remember reading that Oda (or maybe an editor?) clarified that Luffy wasn't counting himself. So if that's true there's still one left yeah. Unless plans changed or something.

Vivi seems the most obvious option for sure.

Though it could be a character from this arc + elbaf. Maybe Bonnie joins to finish what Kuma started. Since there's a lot of history with Kuma at least. Or Yamato joins after this arc in a similiar fashion to how Jimbei's joining was delayed. So there's some possibilities depending on how crazy things get.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

calling it now, Lucci and Kaku are going to end up joining Buggy's crew

Perfection. They deserve no less.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Sub Harrison posted:

It's still a total mystery who Caribou is working for. But he's got 2/3 ancient weapons figured out and going to tell somebody.

Actually poo poo, wasn't Caribou on their ship?

Yup, the strawhats gave him a ride because he helped Luffy out in Wano. Though he didn't want them to bring him to a government island so he's not on Egghead by choice. So it's likely he's currently trying to get off the island somehow though who knows what shennigans he'll get up to in the meantime. Either that or he's hiding in his barrel.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Cat Machine posted:

Said it months ago, will say it again - I bet Oda invented Cross Guild so that he could group all the misfit supporting characters together under one banner. Lucci and Kaku for Cross Guild 2025, believe it.

That's the perfect home for them. I'm 100% on board with this theory.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Eiba posted:

Hmm. You're right. I forgot they have multiple log rafts now. I was looking forward to Blackbeard vs Kizaru, darkness vs light.

But actually, in terms of Blackbeard-affiliated characters who it would be interesting to see fight Kizaru... it would be really cool to see Kuzan show up! With all these Ohara callbacks, it would be nice to see someone make an effort to protect the fleeing civilians from the oncoming Marine onslaught. And then kidnap Saturn for good measure.

Kuzan kidnapping/killing Saturn would definitely be an "Incident" so that could be what happens. Just getting a Kuzan/Kizaru fight would be interesting by itself too. Gonna be some cool chapters ahead regardless though.

If it is actually Kuzan I wonder if that's how Luffy will learn about Koby being kidnapped. Maybe find out what happened to Law as well if Kuzan gets a call via snail while hes here. Though maybe that would derail a potential trip to Elbaf which feels like something that should happen before the big blackbeard confrontation. But who knows.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Dammerung posted:

I have no doubt that Kidd would have done much better if he just planned on fighting Shanks. But he didn't. He tried to kill as many people as he could, abandoned his defense, and paid one hell of a price for it. If Kidd wasn't who he was, the fight would have gone much better for him, I'm sure.

Oh yeah, by all accounts it seems that Shanks would have been happy to have a chill fight and let Kidd walk away after. He was even concerned about whether his wounds had healed. All Kidd had to do was not immediately resort to murdering bystanders under Shank's protection.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

mabels big day posted:

Kid should join Cross Guild now

He'll be coworkers with their previous newest recruits Kaido and Big Mom.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Larryb posted:

I am curious how the meeting between Luffy and Shanks is going to go considering the latter isn’t straight up evil like a lot of the other Emperors (though he does make some questionable decisions at times). Speaking of, what territory is the latter in charge of anyway?

Probably something that echos Oden/Whitebeard vs Roger. They'll go all out and hold nothing back. Then they'll have a party afterwards regardless of whoever wins.

Like there is no way they don't fight each other with the biggest smiles on their faces.

That's assuming they meet in some situation where they have time to act as they will. If they meet in some sort of Marineford or God Valley type situation then they might not have time for a duel like that.

Like Luffy is for all intents and purposes Shanks' protege, down to inheriting his will and way of doing things. It's not going to be a grunge match or something even if they are both after the one piece. Not that they'll hold back either though of course.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Not sure why Blackbeard thinks the WG would give him a position again after he betrayed them last time.

One possibility is that he doesn’t actually think they will; it’s just an opening offer to make what he actually wants in return for a hostage seem more reasonable.

Koby alone won't be enough likely but If Kuzan/Devon/Lafitte/etc are headed to egghead then that's an opportunity to capture Saturn. That's a valuable piece to have under blackbeard's control if nothing else. It's the sort of thing that could start a global war too. So maybe that's how its going to happen.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

umm, Sanji trashed that poo poo. There was even a part where he wistfully said goodbye to woman’s bathhouses.

Then Sanji was able to mimic the invisibility power anyways by just moving really really fast. But yeah I can still buy him fighting Shilew just because he's annoyed that he has the fruit.

Zoro's probably going to end up fighting Mihawk or an Admiral somehow around that time or something. Or maybe that secret 10th commander is relevant to him if it's not Kuzan. The final battle is likely to be messy and all.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Do we know if Kuzan is supposed to be the 10th commander or not? Or is he just some kind of advisor or something? Was it ever said either way?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Also holy poo poo, Mihawk speaking of Luffy in hushed tones shows you just how far he's come in the world.

Yeah that was nice to see. To be fair, Mihawk has known for a long time that Luffy is really dangerous. He knew it at least as far back as Marineford. Mihawk gives respect where it's due, except for Buggy.

Though that'll change when Buggy becomes king of the pirates. Probably.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Njashi9 posted:

If anything I think Law got off worse, since although he and Bepo got away, the rest of his crew is now at Blackbeard's mercy. Surrendering to Shanks is far preferable.

My current bet is that Kidd and Law are still going to have some presence in the final race towards the One Piece. Shanks will keep Kid and Killer on his ship since they would be to dangerous to be left imprisoned on Elbaf, and Law will end up pledging himself to Buggy.

Shanks is merciful to friends but not towards people who threaten them. He seems like the type that when it's time to get serious he goes all the way. So I don't think we can assume he showed them mercy.

So there's a non-zero chance that Kidd/Killer are just dead now.

Roger did kill entire crews so it's not out of the question.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

Shanks however stopped his attack when the kid pirates surrendered, it was the GIANTS who wrecked them and the ship at the end

He jumped off when he saw that the giants were going to destroy the ship. If he meant to give them mercy he would have told the giants to stop or blocked the attack because the Kidd pirates were already absolutely defeated at that point. Or even take Kidd/Killer off the ship so they don't drown if nothing else.

He knew it would happen and just let it happen. So you can't really say he had nothing to do with it since if he didn't want it to happen he could have easily stopped it.

Which again isn't that surprising, what we know for sure about Shanks is he will tolerate a lot, but if you gently caress with people he likes it's over for you. That was established very early on with the scene with the bandits.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 30, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

r00tn00b posted:

Kidd never once fed luffy, he will not care

Oh wow, I just realized Luffy is BFFs with Caribou now isn't he.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

I feel like it's about to all tie together. Sabo explaining what really happened tying into why Kuzan is allying with BB which will tie into whatever happens to Egghead.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if Bonney/Kuma's past also directly ties into the world government and what Sabo witnessed at Mary Geniose as well. Would explain why we've had to wait for so long for the flashback, we need the context from Sabo first.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 9, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Sub Harrison posted:

Reading Cobra's final words all I can think of is the Tenacious D "We are the D, We are the D, We are the D, We are the D"

e: I'm guessing Imu convinced all the kings that the D Kingdom are a threat to the world and must be stopped . Once they took over Imu reveals his true plan of becoming immortal, taking control of the kingdom's super weapon and thus the world. Everyone who helped him and would keep his secret got to live as gods in return.

How did Lili accidently scatter stones all over the world though? Sounds like she's the OG paw-paw user.

If so, maybe this is knowledge that Kuma has somehow. It would be one way to explain why we had this huge delay before we see what Bonney saw in his memories.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Did I misread it or did Wapol not actually get seen by anybody peeking through the hole in the wall? So if he hadn't panicked and just gone to the meeting with the other nobles and pretended he hadn't seen anything he probably would have been perfectly fine? Because :lol: if so but how perfectly in keeping with Wapol to just absolutely lose his poo poo and do the stupidest and most cowardly thing possible immediately :allears:

The kings got a message that Cobra and Wapol wouldn't be returning before he started crashing through walls so I think he was probably screwed to begin with. Though this would be really funny.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Nephthys posted:

Mihawk also recently indicated that the idea of fighting Shanks, Blackbeard or Luffy is absurd. It's entirely possible that Mihawk doesn't want to fight Shanks because losing one arm diminishes his technique/skill, not that Shanks couldn't still beat him just through haki, speed and strength. Just like how Luffy or Garp could grab a sword and pound his face in with the pommel but wouldn't have defeated him as a swordsman.

It's possible that Mihawk is on par with Yonko's like Big Mom, Kaido, BB, Shanks and Luffy but he hasn't done anything that shows it so far imo.

It's one thing to go 1 v 1 with a yonko in a duel. It's another to start a fight with a yonko plus all of their subordinates. Not just their own crew/commanders and the armadas but also aligned nations and everything else, like it's a lot. Even Shanks who has a notoriously weak armada, has a very powerful crew and is allies with the giants and potentially other strong nations as well.

So starting a fight with three different major military organizations all at once is going to be a hassle to put it lightly. And someone like Milhawk probably just doesn't want to bother with that. It doesn't mean that individually he's weaker than the yonko themselves.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Nephthys posted:

Er, Zoro hasn't beaten Big Mom, Kaido or Shanks so I don't know what you mean by that. I think it makes sense for Zoro to become the World's Strongest Swordsman but still be solidly below Luffy and people in Luffy's weight class like those 3.

It doesn't mean he's weaker than them, no. But for the same reason him not wanting to fight Shanks doesn't mean that he's stronger than him either. They're both equally ambiguous in what exactly they mean.

That's true, we can't know for sure unless we actually see him fight a Yonko. Though I think it's safe to assume he's at least Yonko adjacent, even if he might be above or below particular Yonkos. It would be a bit of a disappointment otherwise you know?

This guy is Zoro's goal after all.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

HerraS posted:

Which planet is called Poseidon again?

Neptune

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Star Platinum posted:

I thought he used Captain John's treasure to start up his merc business

Yeah I kinda assumed this was the implication too.