Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
One Piece!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
IVANKOOOOOOV

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

that feel when break week

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Probably worth noting that, other than Luffy, Robin has the largest bounty increase in the crew.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No Wave posted:

As someone who's crazy about Impel down I love that the entire breakout crew is in this chapter and is important to the story. This is my age!

Bentham :c

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Plutonis posted:

Still running the Newkama Land.

Yeah but I want to see

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Remalle posted:

Will Luffy get a 10th Commander to balance out Blackbeard's 10 Titanic Captains?

It certainly seemed poised to happen!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Two for two with the bad takes, there, Rody.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Julias posted:

Oda has said that he regrets introducing Crocodile as early as he did for power consistency reasons, especially since we saw in Marineford that he's no slouch.

I've often heard this but also never seen a source.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Renzuko posted:

Maybe he becomes a captain of a ship in the straw hat fleet.

The Pluton, presumably.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Last Celebration posted:

I think people like Luffy just wanna be the King because

Luffy has told us explicitly why he wants to be King of the Pirates.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Here's a fun observation - both Luffy and Garp have big scars under their eyes. People have noted that Dragon has a tattoo on his face that kind of fills that pattern.

But as long as we're talking about it, Crocodile also has a big scar under his eyes. And Garp says Dragon is Luffy's father - as far as I'm aware, Garp himself never says that Dragon is his son.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Crocodile and Dragon met at Roger's execution, really hit it off.

Crocodile is notably only depicted from behind at Roger's execution.

Waffleman_ posted:

We literally see Luffy get his scar in chapter 1, it's not hereditary.

...I mean, fuckin' duh, but like, symbolism,

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

It would be weird for Luffy to be Dragon's son but for Dragon not to be Garp's son seeing as Luffy is the spitting image of young Garp if he was less ripped (Garp and Dragon do have a very passing resemblance though, mostly in the brow.)

What I was implying was that maybe Crocodile was Garp's kid, and Dragon is Garp's son-in-law, in the context of this crazy theory.

It's fun to think about!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

YggdrasilTM posted:

Clearly there is no secret at all and It was justa a throwaway excuse created by Oda to male Crocodile

Yeah, exactly!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

He's knows drowning will kill him, so he's not going to do that.

I mean, he's a fish. It probably wouldn't.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Begemot posted:

The way Blackbeard was talking makes it sound like stealing devil fruit powers is something the darkness fruit can do. His "weird body"... is because he ate that fruit, not something weird about him from before that, which makes sense.

I feel like the darkness fruit is what allows him to steal devil fruit powers - and possibly bestow them onto other people, or at least direct them to specific non-devil fruits for consumption - but isn't what allows him to have multiple fruit powers himself. If that was the case, why even give the other fruit powers away instead of just keeping them for himself?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Drakkel posted:

Blackbeard mentions it helped him dethrone someone named 'Ochoku" who apparently was a member of the Rocks Pirates???

Fun fact; "Ochoku" is the literal translation, but the name is actually Wang Zhi, a name inspired by real-life Chinese pirate lord Wufeng.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

I think this is the first time we actually see Blackbeard use haki.

It strikes me as odd that in a series of chapters with big bounty reveals, we still don’t get Rayleigh’s.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Silver2195 posted:

Blackbeard specifically is horny and implied in this chapter that Haki can’t block her power. He just grabbed her and turned off her power with the Dark Dark Fruit before she had the chance to use it on him.

Blackbeard really must be way more physically powerful than we've witnessed if he could grab Hancock before she could react. I mean, she's fast.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I just realized that Wano ended and we didn’t learn a drat thing about seastone.

...god drat it you're right gently caress

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

I'm fine with Dr. Vegapunk just straight up being a woman and I don't get why that would be an issue.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

I got the tude now posted:

Gin is one of the least memorable characters and the I love gin bit is really tedious

If he’s so unmemorable, why come all us folks keep rememberin’ him.

Checkmate, World Government

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

lih posted:

we still don't really know why vegapunk considered it a failure but i'm guessing it'll turn out to be a really silly reason like 'the dragon was the wrong colour'

For now I'm holding on to the theory that it was supposed to be a devil fruit that gave you the physical abilities of Kaido himself as opposed to copying his devil fruiit.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I was expecting something real crazy after people felt the need to warn against checking spoilers

Uh, did you not notice aloha shirt Jinbe?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

You can’t stop someone from using their powers completely but you can stop their effects on you.

Reiterating a prediction for posterity; Shanks' haki will be so powerful that it just straight up turns off devil fruits.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

I share my birthday with Boa Sandersonia, who I love.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

MorningMoon posted:

lmao that's an excellent brook gag

I saw this movie in a theatre full of people and a lot of parents/partners were obviously there for someone else's sake, jokes flying over their head and whatnot, but this is the one gag in the whole movie that had every single person laughing.

Bleck fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 29, 2022

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Film Red kinda sucked and tbh was maybe even a little misogynist?

Anyway new chapter is making my eyes pop outta my skull like I'm in Gear 5

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

wielder posted:

Aside from liking or disliking the movie...not sure why you'd call it "misogynist". Certainly not more so than regular One Piece at least.

Film Red spoilers;

Uta's powers and almost the entirety of the plot are a contrivance to make it so Luffy doesn't have to punch a pretty girl in the face, and also Uta's whole character arc is arguably basically just "women are so emotional am I right fellas."

e: VVV good idea.

Bleck fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 4, 2022

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Gyges posted:

We still have no evidence that Luffy has a mom.

Excuse you but Crocodile is right there.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Julias posted:

I'm honestly not really a fan of the current one piece dub. It's competent, but most of the performances feel soulless to me.

It's very The Anime Voice Actors Doing Anime Voices and it's kinda meh.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

The thing I like about dendenmushi is that their physical appearances change to match the current user's expressions, but their accessories are added manually by their owners. So Law definitely obtained (made...?) a small version of his hat and put it on at least two different snails.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Lotus Aura posted:

We were told ages ago that no one in One Piece has died, or ever will:

:hmmyes:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

The artificial devil fruit being a "failure" because it's pink is funny but also essentially confirms that Vegapunk can successfully create copies of devil fruits.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

I think it's bunk when people make these static observations of Power Levels being this and that as though Crocodile couldn't also have had a two year timeskip that he spent becoming more powerful.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

If I recall Oda said he introduced Crocodile too early for his level in the story.

This has been said multiple times in the thread and every time somebody asks for the source and nobody has it, iirc.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think Lucci rematch could be a legit fight.

Like I said earlier this week, I feel like it'd be a disservice to the world of the story to have Luffy be able to become so powerful over two years but assume that every other character has to remain static. Why can't Lucci have grown more powerful in the interim as well? It'd be weird if Lucci were suddenly as powerful as Kaido, but I think there's probably a satisfying middle ground between that and Lucci just up and deciding he can no longer pose a threat to Luffy.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Last Celebration posted:

yeah, felt like that was more for the up until now implicit idea that you can just no-sell the ethereal otherworldly properties of devil fruits like “punching the air to make a air quake” with a high enough haki level.

I feel as though this has been explicit for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Electric Phantasm posted:

Weren't people joking earlier that the bug attracting lightsaber was gonna be key to defeating Kizaru?

The bug attracting light is gonna mix into Kizaru's light and he'll be a bug-attracting-light man and be covered in cool bugs.