Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fell completely in love with this series and have spent the last few months going through it using One Pace, then the official anime for Wano, and now I’m finally up to date on the manga.

-Until the moment he shows up in the main story again I consider the Enel cover stories non-canon, as far as I’m concerned he just suffocated and died up there.
-Some of the animation in Wano was absolutely insane and way beyond anything I’d ever expect from a weekly anime
-I’m kinda bummed Yamato didn’t join the crew, hopefully he pulls a Jinbe and comes back to join later
-Buggy is the GOAT
-The biggest flaw in this series is that it needs 400% more Nico Robin
-Gear 5 is an S-tier shounen power-up
-Poor Kuma :smith:

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Robin masters armament haki instead of fishman karate during the timeskip, snaps all the admiral’s and elder’s necks, problem solved series over

Eiba posted:

You have very good One Piece opinions.

Except for the thing about Enel. Enel's moon adventures own and they are real. Enel is the key to everything. Any day now he will crash into the middle of an unrelated arc with an army of robots and it will be beautiful.

But you're especially right about Robin so I'll let it go this time.

his moon adventures are good but him dying in the vacuum of space is funnier :colbert:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sanji definitely reads corny romance novels (and also hentai)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

anyway here's my list of top OP moments that hosed me up so bad I had to take a break from watching
-Robin wanting to live
-Brook losing his crew
-Ace
-Ace again when Luffy remembers what happened
-Ace again when Sabo finds out about it
-Ace again when Yamato finds out about it
-All of Episode 1015, really
-Pudding wiping Sanji's memory
-That loving guy that dressed like a baby in Dressrosa?????

had heard going into it that this was a series that makes people cry but goddamn I was not ready

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 6, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gyges posted:

Look at this monster. Just kept trucking like it was nothing when Merry went to Valhalla..

oh whoops knew I missed one

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Paper Lion posted:

kuma just happening to see luffy when training and saying "ill use this move to stop anyone that wants to take my crew away" when hes the one that takes them away later....................

Its the move he used to finish off Arlong when he tried to take Nami away

Cat Machine posted:

I wonder if you just need to know of Nika’s existence for devil fruit powers to become Nika-like in some way. Maybe the WG want Nika’s name erased from history not just for culture/order reasons but also maybe because his will can manifest as literal power (like Oden existing as a katana but x100000)

iirc Luffy never heard about Nika before Gear 5

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

That's how they hunted though

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I like the Nika stuff becoming even more explicit because it means the “gently caress authoritarians” themes are getting even more explicit

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Silver2195 posted:

I have mixed feelings about the Nika stuff myself. The embodiment of freedom being a rubber cartoon man makes sense. But why is Nika also a sun god?
the sun being a symbol of freedom has been a recurring thing in this series for a really long time

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

imagine hating the arc where Robin becomes a straw hat, couldn’t be me

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Immediately nuking anyone who gets the Gum Gum fruit would kinda give away the fact that the government sees the Gum Gum fruit as a huge threat

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

tbp posted:

and that's all just pre-TS. they ARE trying to stop him, they literally just cannot.

Later on Sakazuki gave an admiral an ultimatum of “you’re not allowed to show your face until you kill strawhat” and even THAT didn’t work

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Luffy jumping between manga panels as Blackbeard vacuums them up with the awakened Yami Yami fruit

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Off topic of anything but I can’t think of a reason that Zoro and Mihawk ever fight in the manga until after everything else is resolved and they just go “okay now to duel to the death”.

Buggy is going after the one piece and that will inevitable lead them to crossing paths with the straw hats and when Mihawk and Zoro meet again they are both gonna want to fight.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

No Wave posted:

Mihawk trained Zoro for two years basically out of pure kindness. I dont understand what is supposed to be hype about this matchup Mihawk is the senpai regardless of outcome.

it’s hype because it’s a fight that’s been built up for 25 years between two extremely cool dudes

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

oda should have Mihawk be the one to kill Shanks to silence the haters

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

No Wave posted:

What I'm getting at is Zoro has already indicated he cares more about his duties as a first mate than he does the strongest swordsman bit.

Zoro doesn’t treat those as two different things, in his own words he can’t properly be the first mate for the king of pirates if he isn’t the strongest swordsman in the world

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

scary ghost dog posted:

nami and robin have only ever looked bad in the anime

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I liked Robin's Wano look and Nami's late Whole Cake look with the red dress and tied hair

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 14, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

best part of strong world was the straw hats showing up at shiki's palace dressed like mobsters

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

can wit studios borrow megumi ishitani from toei to direct the Arlong Park Walk episode

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gologle posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't want this? I like most of the old animation style

I like a lot of the old animation too but I would also like to be able to recommend the one piece anime to people without sounding like a crazy person directing them to download a fan edit that trims the filler to bring the series down to mere 700 episodes

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Infinitum posted:

They mean the localisation of Stand names on Netflix/Crunchyroll, and how terrible they are.

If you just :filez: them you get the proper names

No they mean that Stone Ocean got screwed by Netflix’s release model which led to a huge dropoff in viewers.
DavidPro’s adaptation of Stone Ocean (especially its ending) was still great sure but that had absolutely nothing to do with Netflix.

Also Netflix’s translations have a tendency to just be really really bad. They devolve into downright broken English at times.

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 17, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

This is why you watch the dubs

it’s an issue with their subs and their dubs. Their localization of the fourth evangelion movie was a mess

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zoro Zolo having the same VA as Guts was perfect

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if the 4kids dub had kept going Sakazuki would definitely have been a goofy R Lee Ermey impression

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Paper Lion posted:

theres only 2 things that instantly make anyone who sees/hears it have the singular reaction of pure laughter: whatever they found at laugh tale, and

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Well Manicured Man posted:

I think if you put a pecan pie in front of manga Luffy and live action Luffy you'd just get the "this pie is so good i could die/this pie is so bad i could die" scene except instead of Luffy and Blackbeard it's just two Luffys.

it still owns that Oda introduced one of the major villains of the entire series with a comic relief scene centered around food

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

*draws tarot card* Leonardo DiCaprio will play St. Charlos

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 20, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Willem Dafoe as Crocodile

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Man, that last page is heartbreaking. :smith: No wonder Conney rushed right in to stab Saturn after seeing all of that

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Well, keep in mind that is the accumulated damage Luffy took from his whole time on Thriller Bark. Then imagine taking all of that damage at once in a single instant. Yeah, that'd knock out even the heartiest of pirates.

Unless you're Zoro, that is. :zoro:

This also includes the Nightmare Luffy bits, where Luffy was fighting on a level way beyond what he otherwise would’ve been capable of at the time

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean whether or not Kaido actually died from his lava bath the stated goal throughout the arc was definitely “kill Kaido”, not “kick Kaido’s rear end”.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CatstropheWaitress posted:

No, it was "free Wano from Kaido's rule" which includes "kick Kaido's unkickable rear end". Kill Kaido technically does that too, but I don't think we got a panel of Luffy going "I'm going to murder".

the characters definitely said “We’re gonna kill Kaido” and “We’re taking Kaido’s head” and variants of that a bunch of times, Luffy included

Like I don’t think Luffy is particularly opposed to killing so much as he just doesn’t fight people out of malice, if the fight ends with a KO and that achieves his goal then that’s good enough for him.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 22, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Watched One Piece Film Red last night. The fights were a lot of fun and the music was good and there were some fun moments of fanservice like Usopp and Yasopp having an actual interaction but the plot felt a bit messy tbqh. I think they were trying to squeeze in too many ideas in a short period of time while also making room for all the musical segments. Tota Musica was really weird and overly-convenient as a plot device.

Those 10 seconds of animated Gear 5 were probably a lot more exciting when the movie first came out lol.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdz-H62awWM
the songs in that movie definitely went way harder than I at all expected

Spanish Matlock posted:

I kind of unironically love Tot Musica. Things like Tot Musica and the Florian Triangle shadows serve to remind the reader that things in the once piece world are weird and don't need an explanation. Sometimes your childhood friend gets possessed by a music demon. It's fine.

I think mainly it's just that the way it was introduced and explained ended up being kinda clunky because the movie was trying to keep the "Is Shanks a baddie? :ohdear:" fake-out going.

Augus fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 24, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

No Wave posted:

Nuisance????? Come on!! They have to do better than that!

yeah "trouble" was a better translation imo

I Am Fowl posted:

Also, how old is Bonney, like twelve?

she apparently turned 10 right around the timeskip so yeah 12

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 24, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, since her adventure started at ten before the skip. I wonder if Luffy’s gonna use his observation haki to do a Namek Goku and magically just be up to speed

Luffy doesn't need to know the entire story to know who needs his help and who he needs to punch

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Luffy needs to fight Blackbeard because Blackbeard is Luffy's direct contrast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the two of them need to face off to settle once and for all whether the cherry pie was awful or delicious and whether the booze was really good or really bad