Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Hi thread, newish player here. I've been playing this whole time kinda haphazardly and without looking at external resources (build guides, etc.) to help me progress, and now I'm stuck at Adventure Level 45 and can't beat the Ascension quest to progress to the next level. I have some general questions:

1. How can you tell -- within the game itself (so, not consulting external resources) -- which kinds of stats to focus on when picking artifacts for each character? For example, take elemental mastery -- where do I need to look within the game itself to learn that [Characters A, G, and M] need high elemental mastery stats but [Characters J, P, and S] don't?

2. Also within the game itself, what info will tell me which characters work well together in a team and which don't, beyond their elemental compatibility? For example, if I know I need a pyro character in a team and all my pyro characters are equally strong, what information would let me determine that (based on the composition of my team) I should use (say) Bennett and not Xiangling? So far, I've been treating the characters of the same element and strength as basically interchangeable except for how fun/annoying they are to play.

3. On the Talents screen, where it tells you the order of priority in building up each talent, does that mean you should aim to max out Talent #1 before moving on to adding any levels to Talent #2? (So after ascending a few times, your Talent #1 would be at, say, Level 6 and the other talents would still be Level 1.)

Or is it more like, if you've just ascended your character and all your talents are at (say) Level 2 and you've only got enough materials to put into one talent, first put them in Talent #1....then when you get more materials, put them into Talent #2? So that by the time you're ready to ascend, all of your talents will be at the same level?

4. In Sumeru and Fontaine, there are jewelry vendors (with their own diamond icons on the map) that won't sell you anything -- what's up with that? Is that future content that hasn't been released yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for your detailed responses! I will read them and internalize them slowly. :tipshat:

But:

Hobbes posted:

The moral of the story is: if you want to optimize anything or power up in a meaningful way, consult external resources.
Noooooo I stare at spreadsheets all day at work, don't tell me I need to stare at spreadsheets after work too noooooooo

(Uh...I'm not crying, it's just raining outside....)

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Meowywitch posted:

Furina is the new best character in the game. Honestly didnt think they could top Nahida but then they did
Ummmm....hellooooo Neuvillette???? :allears::coolfish::screamy::allears:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

sushibandit posted:

All claymore characters without exception also have godawful hitlag on their normal attacks which feels incredibly jarring in gameplay. In all honesty the only reason I'm still gonna pull Navia is that it looks like she more or less never uses her normal attacks.

Maybe this is less of an issue on phones.
I play on an ipad, and I don't think I've ever had a problem specifically with claymores' NA's lagging (saying this as someone who almost always uses Beidou in my overworld team). But the controls, in general, on a tablet are already so goddamn annoying, maybe it's just hard to notice this one issue rising above the others.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Re: Zhonglichat -- I downloaded this game in early September but didn't start playing until literally the day after Zhongli's banner ended, and I've been crying ever since. Does he show up in banners more often than once a year? :ohdear:

Do any of you play Ayato? Pages ago, I protested the need to rely on external websites/spreadsheets in order to figure out how best to build characters/teams, but I've now caved in to that need. HOWEVER...in the Ayato build guides I've seen (like this one), none of them recommend giving him HP artifacts, but his Elemental Skill description literally says: "After a Shunsuiken hits an enemy, it will grant Namisen, which increases the DMG based on Ayato's Max HP." So...why shouldn't I give him HP artifacts?

(That's what I've done, and his Elemental Skill is how he's doing the most damage....which is what I would expect, you know, given the in-game indication to build up his Max HP! Why are build guides steering us in another direction?)

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Meowywitch posted:

He seems dull to me
He's a low-key sadist with the face of an angel, playing long-con 7D chess with the Inazuma VIPs while obnoxiously slurping on the boba tea he hides up his sleeve and tricking Thoma into eating gross things. I-I love him. :allears:

...Funny, his boba tea slurping doesn't bother me, but Beidou's "glug-glug-glug-ahhhhh" idle line triggers my misophonia hard. So do the sounds she makes while climbing -- she sounds like she's repeatedly clearing her throat. The worst!

Everett False posted:

However I do assemble teams based entirely on vibes and my commitment to the bit so most of them are bad anyway. They are optimized for gently caress all. My teams based on who's invited to the cookout versus who's at Dennys at 2am will continue to not thrive and I refuse to change. I'm still deciding which of my bad teams I'm willing to sacrifice to build a team themed around chronic illness.
This is the way. Eagerly awaiting the days I acquire Zhongli and Alhaitham, just so I can throw them on a team with Neuvillette and Xingqiu = Teyvat's Pub Quiz All-Time Champions.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

i think its fair to criticize the game for being insanely stingy tbh. some people milk it for drama but also, at this point they would not lose a single cent if they were more generous.
The game is weirdly stingy in general. Like, when you hit AR 60, you're awarded 100 companionship points. You make more than that just doing your dailies; WTF kind of reward is that for the months of effort it takes to reach that level?! It would cost MHY literally nothing to raise that to 1000 points, and it would leave the player feeling more satisfied and psychologically invested in the game.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

haypliss posted:

Why would anyone care about this of all things?

This was just the first thing that came to mind. I understand the game being parsimonious with its primogem awards, since increasing them could cut into their profits, but it's a mystery to me why it's not more generous with, like, "feel-good" rewards that would take truly no cost or labor to implement.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you’ve ever wished you could see Zhongli in a wifebeater and shorts chilling on the couch with Guoba, boy, are you in luck.

From this video:
https://www.bilibili.com/festival/genshin2024?bvid=BV1mB42167GL

God, I wish I understood Chinese.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
OK, I hate to be That Guy and ask a boring "should I pull" question, but I have to be That Guy.

I really, really want Xiao and have 168 wishes saved, 24 pity. I have Welkin pass, but am otherwise F2P. (And FWIW, according to Paimon.moe, I'm in the bottom 17% for luck with pulling 5*s.)

Looking at Xiao's guide at https://keqingmains.com/xiao/, the only characters I have that are good batteries for him are Lynette (C0) and Faruzan (C0). The only support character I have is Bennett (C2), and the only flex characters I have are Furina (C0), Fischl (C0), and Xiangling (C4).

I've also been thinking of getting Ningguang during Lantern Rite, since I have no other Geo characters besides Noelle.

My questions:

1) Is Xianyun that good of a partner with Xiao that I should risk spending 66 wishes (to reach 90 pity) to pull her, leaving me only 102+ wishes to guarantee Xiao? (I am in AGONY over this dilemma! According to this spreadsheet, 168 wishes gives me over a 99% chance of pulling Xiao, but dropping to 102 wishes drops me to less than 65%. But what's the use in pulling Xiao if I don't have a good team to build around him??? :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear:)

2) Is Ningguang a decent shielder for Xiao?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Thank you for holding my hand, you guys. :kiddo:

I'm going to forgo Ningguang in favor of Gaming's C1. And I'm going work my butt off to earn as many primos as possible until the very last day of Xianyun's banner, when I can then better gauge how many wishes I'm willing to spare from Xiao's allotment.

Because, as God as my witness, I will be getting Xiao. I...I just love that little guy. :3:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ooh, I have Layla. She's sitting at Level 1 with no artifacts or weapons, but I do have her!

Besides Noelle (and I guess Layla), the only other shielder I have is Thoma, but I don't like how his shield doesn't last as long (time-wise) as Noelle's. I main Neuvillette C0, and he needs a shield to keep his charge from getting interrupted

(Oh, that reminds me: as God as my witness, I MUST get Neuvillette's C1, and isn't he supposed to be on the next patch's banner? Which means I can't spend all my wishes on Xiao. gently caress! Xianyun, ma'am, I'll catch you next time.)

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ha, I started a second account last month (because I wanted to actually pay attention to the Mondstadt and Liyue lore this time....and, okay, yes, hang out with Zhongli again). That account is stuck around AR 42 and every overworld enemy is at least 20 levels higher than anyone in my party and it's a goddamn chore to kill any boss, even the regisvines, and of course my artifacts are poo poo because I can't farm for them yet.

And I'm sitting there going, Jesus, I don't remember it being this hard when I started my main account. This is such a pain in the rear end. {Insert 20 minute boss fight} Wow, this is so frustrating, I know I would have stopped playing if it had been like this the first time around. How come it was so easy before?

...Ohhhhhhhhhh that's right, I got :krakken: a couple weeks into the game. He makes everyone bow before him. Sovereign dragon lord of my heart ehe

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I wish one of the bumper car modes was cooperative, and instead of knocking people over and making them lose points, you'd knock into them to boost them into the air to get coins you otherwise couldn't reach. Then you and the player you knocked into would both be awarded those points.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Heizou IS really fun to play. He's like a pocket-sized anemo Wriothesely with his hand-to-hand attacks, but with extra moves like a nice kick-flip.

I don't have a good team built especially for him (he's always a flex character for me), but he's really handy to use when exploring the desert since his normal attack applies anemo and will blow away sand dunes for you. (Edit 2: Wait, that sounds like I'm damning him with faint praise. No, he's good in combat too!)

Edit: PS. I now have 182 wishes, so I'm guaranteed to pull Xiao in 12 days. :neckbeard: The only other character I currently lack that I really want is Zhongli, who probably won't be returning until the fall, so it will be nice to play the game for a while without obsessively searching for ways to earn primos. (Neuvillette's C1 would be really sweet, but not game-changing. However, to anyone reading this who does not have Neuvillette, get him. No hand-wringing or hesitation necessary. 100% get him.)

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 8, 2024

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Can we talk about Zhongli and Neuvillette in today's Lantern Rite quest? I'm dying for them to meet, so I was on the edge of my seat during the entire conversation today.

I've seen some comments on twitter, etc. saying Zhongli avoided Neuvillette because he's afraid of him -- no way, man. Zhongli just doesn't want their first meeting to be a random encounter on the side of the road when they're both on vacation and off their game (and Zhongli's got Hu Tao with him, so he's still hiding his identity). Zhongli was no doubt scoping Neuvillette out from a distance and trying to learn as much as he could about him.

And boy was his conversation with Furina and co. illuminating of Neuvillette's character -- he learned that N's extremely dedicated to his job and well-respected, he's a very proper gentleman to the point of being stiff, but he's also not arrogant and doesn't mind doing menial tasks like carrying the ladies' shopping bags home for them. And despite his high position and stiff manners, the ladies clearly respect him but aren't intimidated or uncomfortable with him. And AND not only does he share Z's love of history, but he too places great importance in keeping his promises (keeping his contracts).

(Zhongli, probably: How intriguing....once we get past that whole "usurper" thing, we could totally be BFFs!)

So now Zhongli has a very good idea of what to expect from him when they meet and is no doubt already formulating a plan of attack to charm the pants off persuade him into being allies. Leading eventually to Zhongli and Neuvillette working together to destroy Celestia...it's going to be so gooooood :neckbeard:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

bagrada posted:

They really should add in an event archive even if its just cutscenes to watch with automated dialogue. Or insert an in-game link to that youtube channel that archives them all.
:agreed:
I kick myself for missing the amazing Venti-Zhongli awkward dinner party at last year's Lantern Rite, and I'm legit sad for any new players after next week who will have missed the single greatest moment in the game to date (IMHOYMMVTYVM): Neuvillette's gift of the Neuviladle. (Hopefully, for their sake, the game will let you buy that later from a Fontaine vendor.)

I also wish we could replay story quests the same way we can hangouts.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hey, guys? What’s the deal with this radiant sphere under a force field barrier north of Qingce Village? Can we get down in there somehow?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ohhhh yeah I have vague memories of that quest.

This is why I created a second account — I do pay attention, and I like reading all the dialogue and books for lore, but my memory’s as bad as Bosacius’s.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Y’all I just got Xiao!! :sparkles: And I only had to spend 20 wishes (starting at 24 pity)!

I pre-farmed for him and now he’s Level 80, talents at 7/6/8, with R2 Lvl 80 Deathmatch, 4-pc level 20 Vermillion Hereafter, but his Anemo damage goblet is only a lvl 16 purple quality from The Exile.

Are these stats okay? (I know I’ve got to improve his anemo dmg)

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

gotta fix your crit stats, crit chance above 100 does nothing and ideally you want them in a 1:2 ratio. carries should aim for 75% / 150% if possible; this typically requires a crit weapon in addition to a circlet and good substats, and should not take priority over enough ER % but (for most DPS characters) should come before anything besides that

e: going by KQM's recently updated guide Xiao wants about 120-140% ER (although this probably assumes a team with 3 anemo and possibly Favonius procs as well)
Thanks, will do! Ooh, his ER is so close, too!

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah by the looks of it you have a crit rate hat which I’d change to a a CDMG hat and Xiao needs a hefty amount of ER because he’s nothing without his burst. And focus on getting a good Anemo cup. Also, if you have her, Faruzan is a must-have as a battery, especially if she’s C6.

Yes, that’s right — crit rate hat and his weapon gives him 33.5% crit rate, too. Welp, now I know what I’ll be focusing on for the foreseeable future.

That, and I’ve put him on a team with Faruzan (C1, lvl 60), Furina (C0, lvl 70), and Layla (C1, lvl 50), all of whom are half-assedly to okayishly built, so I gotta work on them, too.

Would swapping out Layla for Heizou, creating a 3-anemo + Furina team, work well, too? Or Lynette (C1)?

…And since I had a lot of wishes saved, I just went and got Xiao’s C1! (And also got a new C0 Ningguang, plus brought up Noelle from C1 to 2 and Yaoyao from C1 to 6). Stopping here and saving the remaining 130+ wishes for Neuvillette’s C1.

LOL I’m in such a good mood now! :parrot:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So I've been playing with Xiao and, uhhh, Little Man is so angry he stresses me out. :ohdear: Wish I could wrap him up in a thunder vest like my cat on July 4th.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I have Dori. She stays at Level 1. She could be more OP than Neuvillette and I will never use her because her voice is just that annoying.

Speaking of.... Xiao. Knowing that he doesn't sound like a constantly surly rear end in a top hat in CN/JP/KR but soft-spoken and just emotionally detached, and the fact that the EN voice direction has changed over time to make him sound more in line with the other languages (like in this past Lantern Rite), I wish they would re-record his standard voicelines to reflect this more accurate characterization.

Actually, somewhere (youtube?), I've seen comparisons between the English translations and his original Chinese dialogue (just the words, not the voice acting), and even the English translations are off and unjustifiably skew his character into rear end in a top hat territory.

It bugs me. Like, the EN Xiao we're getting is not really Xiao, you know?

PS. Poking around the internet for Xiao lore has revealed to me that there are a concerning number of people who think that Zhongli is Xiao's father. They're not joking, they don't think he just acts like Xiao's father, they think he's actually Xiao's father. And hey, maybe these people just can't read, but some of them think that the proof of Zhongli's paternity is the "fact" that Zhongli and Xiao have the same eyes. Which they don't. So not only are these poor things illiterate, they're also hallucinating. :qq:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Izzhov posted:

I use the CN audio for this game and don't find any of the characters' voices to be particularly annoying. I even like CN Paimon's voice tbh.
Ah, I'd do that, but then I'd lose Ray Chase as Neuvillette, and his voice is to me what Venti's flute is to Xiao.

I too yearn for Zhongli. Soon I shall have C1 Neuvillette and thus will effectively become immortal, but I could still use a really good shielder for other teams.

BTW, call me illiterate or hallucinating, but doesn't this line from Lantern Rite foreshadow a mutually beneficial collaboration between Neuv and ZL in the future (like, to take down Celestia??? :tinfoil:)

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Genshin shower thoughts: Has anyone ever tried to look at the stars in the night sky and locate the characters' constellations?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
When can we expect Zhongli to return on a banner? ("September" is the answer in my head, but I don't know if I read that somewhere or am just making that up.)

On my second account, I finally finished his second SQ -- I had completely forgotten about Azhdaha being blind under the earth until Morax gave him eyes.

...Honestly, I think the lore in this game is probably my #1 reason for enjoying it. Not just the metric ton of connections to IRL world mythology and gnosticism*, but all the little details that give it color.

*I was a psychology major in college, but my favorite class I ever took was an elective on Gnosticism. Really fascinating stuff.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Whooo, 50 wishes got me that C1 for Neuvillette and finally Xingqiu's C6....life is good.

...Now to actually use Xingqiu.

It's so hard to remember other Hydro characters exist when :love::allears::krakken::allears::love: is right there, you know?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Anora posted:

Though honestly, it's wild that Genshin introduces characters and tries to make you like them, and generally succeeds (except Childe, go away)
:same:

Yeah, good job MHY, his SQ is what took me from "neutral" to "actively dislike". I LOLed when Skirk tossed him into the Abyss and then said she didn't talk to him much while training him because "I simply did not have anything to say to the weak." A woman after my own heart. :allears:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is 4.6 going to expand the map?

If not, when is the next major map expansion? (Natlan when?)

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Awesome, I love Fontaine's underwater stuff. (Literally the only underwater region of any game I actually enjoy. It's like a healing balm after the torture of Subnautica.)

E: Subnautica literally triggered a thalassophobia panic attack (while exploring the underwater scaffolding of the crashed spaceship, of all places). Like, my chest got tight and I couldn't breathe and everything. Maybe I drowned in a past life, idk.

Anyway, underwater Fontaine is lovely and chill and has never once made me feel like I was dying, so A+++ will explore again.

Best exploration team is the Varsity Swim Team:

Neuvillette: +15% underwater sprint speed
Freminet: -35% underwater sprint stamina consumption
Furina: -30% cooldown time on underwater weapons
Lynette: shows recovery fish on map

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 10, 2024

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
4.8 is coming in late July, right?

(I swear I once saw a calendar of dates for all the 2024 patches with brief content descriptions, but ofc google turns up nothing now.)

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Note Block posted:

I'm the weirdo that loved sheer cold and balethunder and I wish I could turn balethunder back on permanently.
Whaaat.

My #1 favorite thing to do in any open-world game is explore the landscape, so any game mechanic that prevents us from exploring at our leisure aggravates tf outta me. If Natlan is designed to roast us alive, I hope there's some kind of goulash equivalent to cool us down. (Ooohh, like horchata...)

Meowywitch posted:

Let me ride on him in the sky
:krakentoot:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I love the Childe's little brother quest but not because it makes Childe look better. It just makes him look stupid, when previously there was some room to wonder if maybe it was all an act, which is hilarious.
:hmmyes: You get it.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Over the weekend, I cleaned up a ton of Sumeru desert achievements/hidden quests/etc. I didn't even know I was missing, and I'm still not finished.

Last night I was so excited to see the Sumeru desert map expansion, the first thing I did after the update was book it over there to explore....aaaaand there's nothing there. :classiclol: All that terrain and no enemies, animals, materials, nothing.

Anybody privy to leaks know if that area's going to be populated with stuff in the future?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
For me it's Bao'er and her goddamn lost relic :argh:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ray Chase is the single reason I don't switch to the CN dialogue track. I yearn (YEARN) to listen to my Xiao speak with his authentic characterization, but at the cost of losing Ray Chase? :fireman:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is it just me, or do the tappable notes in these minigames not always correspond to notes in the music as you're hearing it? Meaning, there's nothing going on melodically or rhythmically that you could listen for as cues when to tap the note....you have to just use your eyes and watch when the circle hits the bottom line?

(Wait, maybe this is the case in the fan-made songs I was playing through, not the official ones. idk but it's annoying.)

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This is the coolest fan vid I’ve ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av5xTnxHOTs

…And that’s just because of the visuals! (Rex Lapis’s entrance:tviv:) There are comments that explain all the references to Chinese mythology — really interesting!

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just put 30 wishes into Baizhu’s banner and got: Jean, Baizhu, 4 Laylas, 1 Faruzan, and 1 Xiangling. Oh yeah and I started at 0 pity!! I will never be this lucky again.

Tbh, I’m most excited by those Laylas (now at C5) — I’ve just recently brought her out of storage and built her up, and her shield is amaaaazing. Even at C1 Neuvillette still gets interrupted sometimes, but not anymore with this narcoleptic elf(???) girl by his side.

If you are woefully Zhongli-less like me (one day my prince will come :allears:) and in need of a shielder ~~don’t cry, give Layla a try!~~