Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

A.o.D. posted:

what if he's not joking? :ohdear:

I hate to break this to you, my friend. But we're all dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Arglebargle III posted:

DS9 is good and deserves to be watched in something fairly close to its entirety. Season 1 and season 7 are the only ones with more than a few skips

As much as people rag on DS9 s7, there were still some top 10 episodes in there. Like Treachery, Faith and the Great River. But of course, I'm a sucker for Weyoun.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Yeah. I’m pretty sure that for the Klingons, at least, the title was a hold over from before the great houses wrested control from the monarchy. Plus, names don’t matter even in real life. Does anyone think North Korea is actually democratic, a republic, or even “of the people”?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MuddyFunster posted:

That's good as long as there's more of Gowron and his face.

Robert O'Reilly's Gowron faces were the perfect blend of sadistic creep and weaselly politician.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

FlamingLiberal posted:

One counselor for like 1000 crewmembers is Starfleet malpractice

DS9 didn’t even have a counselor. They had Bajoran religious leaders and Vic Fontaine.

Edit: And I think Keiko at one point?

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 27, 2023

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Eighties ZomCom posted:

DS9 did in fact have a counsellor. They're mentioned in the O'Brien Mind Prison episode as someone O'Brien is seeing. You just never see them.

Oh yeah. Forgot about that.

I thought Ezri coming onboard as the station counselor was a whole new billet, honestly, BECAUSE of all the crazy poo poo that happens there.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tighclops posted:

I've seen literally every cop show ever (I have a problem send help) and DS9 even with its flaws is still light years ahead of all of them

Now BSG, that's a loving cop show

lol. Not to start a massive derail, but you can't put that kind of label on BSG. The scenario is waaaay too foreign a concept to make that kind of judgement. Every character massively fucks up at several points. And the nature of military != law enforcement, except when they have to be is so unthinkable to American audiences that there is no way to make a reasonable comparison.

Re: Odo. I just want to point out that the Cardassians were literally the first solids he ever interacted with. The fact that he was "raised" in that environment and still managed to be as good as he was is more telling than anything.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tighclops posted:

Lmao adama threatened to blow the wife of a labor organizer out an airlock if he didn't end a strike

Which has zero bearing on describing it as a "cop show" considering: 1) It wasn't framed as a good thing and 2) Anti-Labor != Pro-Cop. There's a metric poo poo ton of decisions every character makes which end up being framed as bad calls. You're just proving Der Kyhe's argument that yelling "copaganda!" is becoming a tired, unhelpful ad hominem.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Soul Dentist posted:

It loving absolutely does

Kesper North posted:

have you ever read history. like ever

I don't agree. I'm not saying the two aren't easy bedfellows, but there's a million ways to be anti-labor without bringing law enforcement into the picture.

Regardless, the example is a poor one because Adama threatened to airlock Cally because of the work slowdown on the Galactica. Not because of the strike on the tillium ship. He specifically says that and it's still framed as a jacked up move. And Tyral got his audience with Roslin for it.

But I'm just going to end it here. Go to the Sci-Fi Wi-Fi thread if you want to continue the BSG slapfight.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I don't know if its the best low-stakes B-plot, but the one that always comes to mind for me is Nog "navigating the Great Material Continuum" for parts O'Brien needs. :allears:

I think that's also the episode with two Weyouns. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

jeeves posted:

The Dominion war just always seemed so uneven, mostly due to the structure of the 26 episodes a season:

War!
A wedding!
Some bullshit with loving over O’brien again.
Feregeni gonna Feregen…
Morn dies?!
War!

I mean, I get it due to ongoing plot lines being like a extremely foreign concept to late 90s tv, but it still makes me laugh to look over the episodes of like seasons 5-7 of DS9 until the 10-part ending. Even those final episodes still have the “god damnit another Kai Winn scene ugh” unevenness.

Also I always laff that the most strategic choke point for the entire side of the Galaxy is the wormhole and yet the Federation is like “eh guys some lovely ex-Cardassian station and a single war ship without even a dedicated crew is good enough to protect it.”

You’d think the Bajorans would be desperate to invite in an entire fleet of Starfleet battleships to be permanently stationed there as they have a recent history of being occupied by the Cardassians so the Dominion probably isn’t going to be any better…

Honestly, that's pretty realistic. Life still happens even with a war going on. There are always going to be times with less action. When advances are stalled or lines fall back to defensive posture for regrouping/refitting.

As for fortifying DS9's sector, IIRC, they did that fairly quickly after the initial Dominion fleet arrived to include mining the entrance to the wormhole. Hell, the reason the war was so even was because mining the entrance kept the Dominion fleet at a manageable size. If they didn't have the Cardassian Empire's territory to build new shipyards and cloning/ketracel-white facilities, they wouldn't have been nearly as big of a threat.

Soul Dentist posted:

No I'm done with it now

:rolleye:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Feldegast42 posted:

Flintstones as someone mentioned, but a lot of looney tunes and such were played before movies back in the day and had references that only the adults would get

Yeah. All the first and second generation cartoons (e.g.; those that were used as previews and interstitials for films, and the first few out on TV in black & white) were all adult oriented.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

skasion posted:

“Masks” is missing an end reveal. I think it gets bogged down with theatrics in the build up and runs out of time to tie it together. It succeeds in being cosmic and weird but not in coming down to earth. Like, Picard figured out they were reenacting the story of a myth, okay. cool. So…why did the alien space station do that? It feels like a more aggressive version of the probe from “Inner Light”, but with those guys, you end up with a strong sense of why they would create a probe that would mind gently caress you. This thing opens a dimensional portal to myth, okay, but what for? It ends up just being a “huh, glad we got the gods out of Data” rather than telling us anything about the guys the episode was about.

But it gave us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upSm_V2OxUc

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sir Lemming posted:

What ultimately makes Wrath of Khan great is that despite the obvious, the theme of the movie is NOT just "guy wants revenge, should hero want revenge?" That's just the catalyst for a whole bunch of much deeper character stuff. Whereas in future attempts, the theme is just REVENGE?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_HtGcBlRp0

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Atlas Hugged posted:

The two Doctor episodes so far were pretty good. There's the Grendel episode and the Barclay episode that I've seen.

The best Doctor episode is him meeting his Andy Dick-shaped replacement. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Knormal posted:

I think Vulcan society would also probably be pretty boring to watch. Mostly just lots of Vulcans sitting around in endless debates. The ritual battles to the death are presumably very limited compared to the Klingons.

Vulcans are space elves. Look how boring Tolkien elves are with a couple named exceptions.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nessus posted:

Someone hasn't read the Silmarillion

I'm well aware of the storied history of the various elf factions and their civil wars and shifting relationships with Dwarves and their battles against Morgoth's armies and all the crap with Celebrimbor and the rings and yadda yadda yadda.

The problem is the Silmarillion is an history book. It doesn't engage with the characters or society. :colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just rewatched Wrath of Khan, and the only thing going through my head the whole time was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-je6hkGoL0

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tighclops posted:

Masks rules and masaka is waking

What is it with bridge officers and masks?! STOP TOUCHING MASKS!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Leicester, North Carolina is a fun one. Looks like "Lie-cester" (and that is how residents there pronounce it) but it's supposed to be pronounced "Lester".

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

HD DAD posted:

Vic Fontaine rules

Indeed.

Of course, for me, I think this comes down to my dad's side of the family being a bunch of Hoboken Italians.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

davidspackage posted:

Speaking of controls, I watched the DS9 episode last night where the Defiant gets hit with sabotage, and because they can't use regular communicators, everyone's talking and repeating commands, and Nog has to repeat all of Sisko's commands to Engineering. I guess they were going for like a submarine style operation, but I'm really glad it was just for the one episode (I think?). That poo poo got real old, real fast.

Except that's one of the most realistic parts of the series.

Ever driven a warship from aft steering? All bridge commands are repeated back as standard procedure, even when you're not dealing with comms from completely different compartments of the ship.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Arivia posted:

It does a good job of adding to the tension in BSG, which turns the space navy dial much higher.

I’ve said this before, but BSG is the most accurate portrayal of carrier life to ever grace the television.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just watched First Contact for the first time in years and lol, I forgot it was where the tommy gun scene came from.

Also, why did Worf have a self-destruct authorization code for the Enterprise-E? :psyduck:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

LividLiquid posted:

Owen's an internet friend of mine! We met on a Discord and video call from time to time. His channel is nothing but HD remasters he does of abandoned properties.

He calls them AI remasters because he's painfully British and doesn't like taking credit for things, but he puts a ton of work into them.

I ripped the DVDs of Fox's old miniseries ROAR for him, which was Heath Ledger's big break that wasn't so he could upscale and preserve them and he's gotten messages from cast and crew members thanking him for his work.

He's a giant sweetie.

Oh poo poo. He remastered That Michell and Webb Look?! And Wing Commander? This guy is my hero.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Apollodorus posted:

Also Fascism is a ludicrously inefficient form of government, and the idea that it is otherwise is, in itself, Fascist propaganda.

Not to get too PolSci in here but fascism isn't a form of government. It's an ideology that can inform how a government is formed or operates. If you mean totalitarianism. And matters of "efficiency" is such a broad topic, I won't go into it, there are aspects of dictatorial/totalitarian regimes that are in fact more efficient than democracies or hybrid states. Executive flexibility means a lot in certain situations. Historically, the gains don't outweigh the losses of human rights and general stability, but it isn't just propaganda to say they can be more efficient.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

dr_rat posted:

Okay everybody, we gotta make sure this poster never get stranded on a primitive planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6RfltyAg7Q

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

LividLiquid posted:

Right on! I bet that's why they wrote his character in Far Beyond The Stars as they did.

I’m pretty sure they gave all the actors huge amounts of leeway in defining their characters is that episode.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Oh, poo poo. That was him?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Small Strange Bird posted:

I'm still genuinely surprised that none of the TNG main characters died heroically in S3 of Picard, but I guess Matalas was such a TNG fanboy - or so scared of being the target of the kind of terminally online chuds he palled around with - he didn't want to. (So he killed off Ro and Shelby and Legolas instead, and even then tried to weasel out of it all three cases.)

Wait. They killed off Ro Laren in S3 of Picard?

I thought I knew all the myriad reasons to call that show garbage, but I am continuously surprised.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Pretty sure TNG's Mark Twain shenanigans pre-dates the Ferengi/Roswell fiasco. :colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Arivia posted:

"and this is the mawwiage between warp core and plasma manifold"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiJ6tsuUPAs

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 8, 2024

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just found out there isn't a bluray release for DS9 or VOY and we're probably never getting anything official due to how the originals were edited. :(

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Rewatching some TNG season 1 and I completely forgot they were still using the short-skirt one piece uniforms for some background characters almost straight out of TOS.

But then in Conspiracy, there's a shot of a male officer with a bald spot sporting one of them and it just comes out of nowhere. Truly the most progressive of shows.:D

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 5, 2024

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just found this.

https://www.kotobukiya.co.jp/en/product/detail/p4934054032167/

lol

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Accipiter posted:

Knight Rider is still awesome what is wrong with you

Unless like, you’re talking TKR or the Val Kilmer knight rider, that doesn’t even deserve capital letters.

Why was it called Knight Rider? The cars name was Kitt. No one rode Michael Knight. :wink:

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think Doctor Who never did the whole thing of an immortal robot following a time traveler just by waiting until after Data did it.

Chrono Trigger did it too.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just got to The Icarus Factor is my rewatch of TNG, and loving lol. That sport Riker and his dad engage in at the end. Just the dumbest American Gladiators setup fused with the worst Japanese appropriation. It took me two listens to realize they were saying よろしくお願いします to each other at the start of each bout. Just random kana and kanji all over the ring and their suits. :psyduck:

But the icing on the cake was the previous scene with Troi and Polaski discussing how barbaric the sport is when they're fully armored up fighting with padded jousting sticks. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
There were two sets of kana prominent on the side of the ring. One was definitely the katakana for Yuri. The other was kanji but I don’t recall it reading as Kei (though I wouldn’t be surprised). Regardless, Kei’s name is usually written in katakana too. But that poo poo would be funny if true.

Apollodorus posted:

Like the Nausicaans, named after that famously violent and surly princess of the valley of the wind.

Although this is even more lol-worthy if true. I never considered that anything more than a coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
:v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohP1XJWDXGg