Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
FF16: Far Cry 4 off-map side missions

im genuinely shocked by how lazy the worldbuilding is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

For every peasant we lose in rural Scosglen we'll pick up two Knights Penitent in Kyovashad

can we just have a simple plot about how the worldstone's destruction released the true latent power of the humans and they are now taking the fight to heaven and hell

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

triple sulk posted:

ff16 has more cutscenes than mgs4

imagine going back to 2006 and telling FF12 players we will regress from a semi open world and playable character count on hardware a thousand times faster

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Truga posted:

jedi knight 2/3 had it in the base game, you just had to enable it through the console

incidentally, they're now playable on your quest/pico, sabering through troopers in VR is so loving amazing

empire watching rodian gangsters with instant hit aimbot rifles: could we use them instead? nah that is too dishonorable

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Risutora posted:

ants love those sweet vent fumes

yeah i find the ones on the switch smell real nice unironically

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Grapplejack posted:

People always complain about turn based but both of the divinity games had almost no trash combat, everything was specifically built to whatever arena it was in and you only fought it once. Meanwhile pillars and pathfinder were both loaded with trash combat you alt clicked through

extreme powergaming for max XP and loot in divinity 2 was some of the funniest content i have ever seen

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SomethingBeautiful posted:

i think the fact you have to actively do it makes it bother people more but i wonder how people would react if it just happened in a cutscene without player input

yeah i prefer it if it was more subtle to mock libs more lol

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Buddykins posted:

the far cry games are nice for when you just want to turn your mind off and shoot mans and blow poo poo up

5 would have a perfect game if we could turn off the stupid plot and just kill cultist weirdos forever

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Homeless Friend posted:

lol this bed of chaos boss.... this is like something from roblox or something

demon ruins onwards is where the rushed development becomes obvious

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

i can't believe people like single player wow dailies

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Grey Fox posted:

some third-party publishers are said to have expressed concern that legacy support for Switch games could negatively affect sales of next-gen titles

oh gently caress off

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

i inflitrated hokkaido by moving everyone's dead corpses into the sauna

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

/r/mr_hootington

i wish i can punch every soyface meme

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

indigi posted:

I love playing a tank in games but I cannot keep aggro in XC3 unless I’m the only defender. the other one always pulls aggro from me within like 10 seconds and I can't get it back unless they die or interlink

i always loved dpsing with plate classes in wow but almost always forced to tank because nobody could tank a drat

also lmao at remembering my rogue being #3 in DPS with leveling quest greens/blues in a PUG raid long after the cata xpac release

oh an anybody felt their accumulated leet action gaming skillz over the decades had made you a pro driver on the real road? i certainly do

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

cool av posted:

mechanical keyboars are a placebo. they dont actually do anything. sorry to disapopint.

non-kosher keyboards

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
the last time i touched DnD was NWN1 and all i still remember was making a AC73 monk/cleric/druid dragonform god

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Whirling posted:

No clue why they went with ki either considering that the monk is ostensibly based off Chinese martial artists.

most of the interesting stuff in wuxia are philosophical anyway. like the greatest fighter is a janitor in shaolin no one heard or cared about, the greatest swordsman is the guy who has physically and mentally abandoned the sword, or how bunch of top masters ultimately got their coveted martial arts secret manual after they dropped their petty greed scheming for it

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

triple sulk posted:

i played it in 99ish, maybe very early 00, so it was still only a couple years old in the us by that point. it was in fact the coolest poo poo ever

also it was run on a 33MHz CPU with 2MB RAM

pretty sure that can't even move the mouse cursor in BIOS now

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

It could delete your C: drive if you weren't careful

lol, what, lmao

also nwn1 was fugly as sin even by 2004 standards

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

that's undisputed proof that azura is a manipulative bitch

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

oh i see we are at the "how is the game telling you exactly how to play any different from actual botting" discourse

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

a peace walker remake using the fox engine would've been incredible. too bad konami took a vow to never again make good games.

im struggling to think of any same or later era engine that was optimized better than fox

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

A Buttery Pastry posted:

i think it's just that people are like "wow, i didn't know people could make good games" and some developers being hurt by the implication that theirs are poo poo

caliisto protocol PR guys: peeps not paying a $2000 GPU and another $60+ on terribly written, made and optimized rendered movies is actually gaming genocide

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
we are oppressed by the Big Indie Monopoly

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
gently caress romance

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Chard posted:

im glad everyone is enjoying their tapeworm sex virtual novel, fortunately armored core 6 (a game) comes out next week

robosex

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ytlaya posted:

How many times does everyone think they're going to cry while playing Star Field?

Just watching the previews has had me sobbing (with both sadness and happiness, at the powerful narratives), so I don't know if I'm ready

is this an ironic post

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

CODChimera posted:

gw1 was amazing. just so much creativity and unique builds going on

the best part of GW2 was the jumping puzzles

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ytlaya posted:

I really wish my broke-rear end brain would let me enjoy games like BG3 or TotK more. I just have an extremely hard time playing them for more than very short sittings. It's not quite an ADD sort of thing, since it doesn't apply to stuff like reading (which I can do just fine). It's more the combination of something being slow(-ish) and it being open-ended.

I was trying to think about what it is that enables me to play certain games for longer sittings, and I think there needs to be a strong "directed gameplay loop." Something where you know what you're doing (or at least exactly what your options are) at any given moment. It's hard for me to fully "kick back and relax" when playing a game that is more open-ended.

There's probably also a big "psychochemical" element to this, where my time of actually feeling good (at least in a way that other people would recognize as "feeling good") is always limited to the ~2 hours after I've had a suboxone dose, and beyond that there needs to be some really strong "dopamine-creating" elements to keep me paying attention to media (unless it's reading, which for some reason I can do just fine for long periods of time - I think because of its more passive nature).

im ashamed to say that i still somehow love playing 2014 version of CS:GO deathmatch with 43 bots over and over

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Homeless Friend posted:

gamers complaining their procgen slop map not being big enough

there's never enough virtual room for our modded sex fantasies

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

smarxist posted:

they should just let stupid nerds wander an infinite proc gen hell scape for as long as they want. Space is huge and full of boring dusty rocks

you can say the same for the planet we're now on

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Real Mean Queen posted:

If we lived in a functional society, there would be rigorous faqs for every game and they would be coming out of a government lab and subject to peer review

AI/SEO/adsense garbage is 99.99% of the internet now

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

RealityWarCriminal posted:

one of my favorite rpg sidequests is from witcher 3 where you find a sad man outside a village. he tells geralt 'im a freak of nature, an abomination, and i was cast out'. geralt says hmmmmm lycanthropy? 'no geralt, i'm gay.'

i also like geralt has been through enough that he doesn't get surprised by anything besides stupidity anymore

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Jazerus posted:

even funnier are the ones that are like

mission 1: "raven, these terrorists are creating weapons of mass destruction. wipe them out for the sake of all of mankind"
mission 2: "raven, some fucker came in yesterday and hosed all of our poo poo up!! we need you to help us fix it"

the 1st mission after the tutorial is to merc for some chinese company, then the immediate next mission #2 is to merc against the same chinese company

lmao

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Xaris posted:

legit no idea who is actively reading PA in 2023 tho, I’d love to dissect their brain and study it however

i cant even remember the last time i saw their content

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
are you telling me the player would be a robogod if it was a helicopter

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
bethjank never fails at being unintentionally good

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ben Nerevarine posted:

it is pretty funny to see people poo-pooing that video while I’m sitting here silently pumping my fist going hell yeah, hell yeah we’re BACK

so how many buckets can we put on NPC heads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SirSamVimes posted:

go play outer wilds, the most solar system focused sci-fi

the causality-breaking wormhole puzzle alone is the most innovative gameplay i have seen in a looooong time