Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Koos Group posted:

I'm not sure what you're referring to. I've only given one joke response in this thread, to a user who seemed to be joking themselves (Harold Fjord), and it was not at any particular person's expense. I also don't believe I've done anything to discourage feedback, and I welcome feedback that is critical of my or my team's decisions, because as you say doing otherwise would defeat the thread's point.

Referring to CZS who seemed to be running the thread, or at least was replying the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Victar posted:

I, uh, didn't really understand the Ukraine thread crackdown on discussion of a leaked US congress-signed open letter about aid to Ukraine, but if the hypothetical alternative to accepting that crackdown were losing CZS moderation, then no trade no deal - I would not want to gamble the D&D Ukraine thread on any other mod.

What happened there is that in addition to the discussion of the leaked letter, which was very reminiscent in tone to the conversations about the DSA that the thread used to have before I cracked out on them a few months into the war, there was also an ongoing discussion about how the economy of California is or is not better than the economy of Germany, that was absolutely irrelevant to the thread. As I explained there:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

No, this is a current events thread for a war in Ukraine, and the last page about economies of Germany and California, months old words from random members of the lower house of US parliament, and some theoretical wanking about what could or could not happen at some point in the future was broadly irrelevant and tedious to read.

But for the purpose of feedback thread, I'm happy to go into more detail.

So, the opening question on the economy chat was questionably appropriate for the thread. In part because it's a nonsensical question, and there's some baseline expectation for doing your own minimum research before posting, and in part since it has a rather dubious connection to the current events of the war in Ukraine.

khwarezm posted:

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1584641718049464320

Ok, so I've noticed that there are some increasingly apocalyptic commentary on the state of the European economy and predictions about Europe being turned into some kind of wasteland in the next few years, and its a talking point popular among an eclectic group of people who seem to swarm around ideologies like isolationist American nationalism, European nationalism (often of the fascist variety), pro-Russian triumphalism and Tankie inclined Leftism. Like this guy wrote the book 'Fully Automated Luxury Communism' which seemed to be popular with Leftists for a while so he's not nobody. I know that the next few years will be tough, but is there much value in predicting the end of Europe as an economic power like I'm seeing these people do?

No, an economy the size of the US is not going to die because it has to pay US for the gas instead of paying Russia for the gas, and no, wild speculations for events that some person could imagine happening some number of years in the future does at best struggle to qualify for a current events discussion.

As a follow up to this post, a number of replies were made on the topics of the economic competitiveness of California or the United States, that are broadly irrelevant to the thread, and which I would've preferred to not have been posted to it at all:

WarpedLichen posted:

I wish I had a crystal ball as accurate as these pundits, probably could make a killing on the markets.

I like how every country is battling recession fears (because guess what we live in a global economy and disruptions affect everybody) and people are trying to pick winners and losers that probably won't be apparent until at minimum 5 years from now.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The irony of that chart is that a lot of California's current GDP growth is credited to renewables. If anything, the current crisis should show Germany / the EU that not only is cheap Russian energy a dire political choice, but a questionable economic choice in the long term.

Tuna-Fish posted:

The problem with this is that renewables work a lot better in California than they do in Central or Northern Europe. What renewables do you propose to power Germany with in the winter months when there is basically no sunlight, and when very cold weather typically coincides with zero wind?

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I was more speaking industrially than trying to reboot the German energy debate. Germany's industrial expertise should theoretically apply to manufacturing renewables, even if the domestic market is small. Granted it would be far easier for that sector to develop with a strong domestic demand, but it's not impossible - just look at Germany's status as a shipbuilder.

What I'm saying is, go all in on fusion.

archangelwar posted:

Not only does Germany have huge existing renewable exploitation, but they also have huge potential renewable exploitation both domestically and within close proximity with the right partnerships. Renewable energy doesn’t just consist of rooftop solar and lowlands windmills in Munich.

WarpedLichen posted:

By what measure of renewables are we really talking about anyway?

It's kinda interesting because the percentage of renewables in terms of electrical power in CA and in Germany are actually comparable.

CA looks like its at ~33% of total electrical power https://www.energy.ca.gov/data-reports/energy-almanac/california-electricity-data/2021-total-system-electric-generation and Germany is at ~41.1% https://www.umweltbundesamt.de/en/topics/climate-energy/renewable-energies/renewable-energies-in-figures

Kinda not apples to apples, but renewables really isn't the catch all answer to economic woes especially when heating and manufacturing are considered.

FishBulbia posted:

European states individually are mostly depopulating or stagnating places with limited natural resources. IDK how them no longer being comparable to the productive end of literally continent spanning countries is supposed to shocking unless you were frozen in like 1912 and just woke up.

Cicero posted:

In a lot of more left leaning discussions on the internet, the framing is that the US is pants on head idiotic policy-wise compared to (Western) Europe. While this is frequently accurate, it somewhat conflicts with the US going from strength to strength economically: if the US keeps picking poo poo policies, why is it doing so much better in terms of productivity?

And talking about natural resources doesn't make much sense especially in this context, California isn't really a petro or mining state, its economy is driven more by tech and media, often tech and media that is successful internationally.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Not to derail, but as much as people say "America is like playing a game of geopolitics on easy mode with cheats on" if California were a new country founded yesterday it would be ludicrously competitive from a natural resources and climate/geography standpoint.

WarpedLichen posted:

I mean how much of that is because of global hegemony and being the world's reserve currency? Effectively unlimited borrowing is pretty good for the economy.

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

This article goes into those talking points (not reproducing the diagrams here):

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/28/opinion/us-dollars-currency.html

At least according to Krugman, they're BS.

Boris Galerkin posted:

For the average American who isn’t terminally online, they see these news articles about massive billion dollar aid and weapons packages to Ukraine and then they look at the dwindling number in their bank account.

Morrow posted:

A little derail, but there's a convincing argument that while it's good for the US financially, it hurts the broader economy because the dollar is going to be artificially strong and increase the cost of imports.

The US economically is weird, I went to grad school with a lot of South Koreans who pointed out that a lot of things they were learning were very specific to the US and other countries need to have different considerations (because, as mentioned, they're not playing international economics on easy mode).

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

I had posted a reply on this page to the post you’re quoting. It addresses the “easy mode”.

WarpedLichen posted:

I don't think the letter being from June/July makes it any less dumb. The lack of content or meaningful call to action is what makes it dumb. That it got picked up by the media closer to the election as a political weapon is just taking advantage of its inherent dumbness.

Not to continue the derail for much longer or to be a crazy conspiracy theorist, but Bernake has downplayed the role of being the reserve currency since 2016: https://www.brookings.edu/blog/ben-bernanke/2016/01/07/the-dollars-international-role-an-exorbitant-privilege-2/. I'm just not fully convinced that economists are right (granted they are far more likely to be right than me) because its so hard to measure and we don't have a world where the US isn't the reserve currency to compare against. We do know there are some supposed perks and influence because other countries like China do desire a piece of the pie.

I'll just say that this is a lot of posts for something that's neither clearly about the titular purpose of the thread, nor intrinsically interesting to me or my assumptions about what the sum of posters and lurkers frequenting the thread derive good value for their time from.

Simultaneously, the other conversation branch surrounding the Caucus letter began like this (a bit earlier than the economy chat, chronologically, but most of the posts I take issue with are in the second half of it):

And the bolded text did set it on the bad foot right away, since every time I've seen something like that phrased towards the DSA, AOC, Sanders, the rest of the Progressive Caucus in the thread, it was a tedious derail where posters were much more interesting in springing to the opportunity to rehash their pet peeves about domestic politics. Before I continue, the expected appropriate analytical response to this would be to note that 30 House liberals mean gently caress all in the current political environment, in the context of bi-partisan support on the Hill for aiding Ukraine, and in the realities of this conflict. To my delight, to the tune of two dozen posts were also made with perfectly normal commentary about it, e.g.:

sean10mm posted:

A handful of reps with dipshitty foreign policy ideas in general writing a dipshitty letter about foreign policy (that Biden is going to throw in the circular file immediately) isn't really a sign of anything, good or bad. It's just Monday in DC.

And that letter is real fuckin stupid, it's like 500 caveats about how Russia is totally bad and Ukraine is totally right to defend themselves BUT: have you considered asking them to stop?

MikeC posted:

I don't see what is wrong with the letter other than that it assumes Biden hasn't already tried from time to time to find some sort of negotiated solution. All it is really saying is that it would be better if the war ended sooner rather than later while reaffirming the stance that the US should never impose or pressure Ukraine into a settlement that they are not happy with. Is it redundant that what they are asking for is already being tried? Yes. But I don't see anything in the contents of the letter which would make it "stupid".

Pablo Bluth posted:

The problem is it ignores that Russia is an entirely bad faith actor when it comes to negotiations and honouring their commitments arise from said negotations, while providing something Russia can use in bad faith to waive around and say "Why won't the west negotiate?".

Unsurprisingly, the undesirable posts that I was concerned about were also quick to follow:

mobby_6kl posted:

They should send these cops to Bakmut

Eric Cantonese posted:

I hope it isn't terribly off-topic to state this, but some of these people are also the ones who drag their feet on condemning Iran while clawing at each other trying to put the boot in on the Saudis. It's a very annoying pattern among legislators I otherwise usually like a great deal.

Let's take a look at the letter itself...

https://twitter.com/QuincyInst/status/1584616518469312512/photo/1

Yup. Cori Bush, AOC, Ilhan Omar and Ayanna Pressley are among the signatories.

The wording's not quite "make Ukraine surrender," but it's definitely showing that we're getting closer to a western breaking point, which is exactly what Putin is counting on.

Mooseontheloose posted:

It's a nothing letter so the Progressive Caucus can say they that we need more money for social programs and maybe see if there is a peaceful solution. I wouldn't pay it much mind.

WarpedLichen posted:

Is Biden asking the progressive caucus for opinions on what to do during the war? Are they providing an idea on how to achieve peace? Is there somebody in the administration who will slap their head and go geez, framework for peace, I can't believe nobody thought of that before?

As far as I know, nobody asked the progressive caucus for a plan, so there is no need to put out a public facing statement on the subject except to make it clear what your positions are for next election. Which is fine, but it seems like a weak statement to make.

WarpedLichen posted:

They're perfectly entitled to say anything they want, whenever they want. Just because they are entitled to put their foot in their mouth doesn't mean they have to do it.

Not sure what you're trying to say.

AOC can post on twitter saying "I like little kids." It's allowed but it can still be dumb.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

that's largely my feeling, the letter just doesn't say much (albeit if it doesn't say much, why the gently caress even release it other than obvious electoral considerations)

the really bad part were the progressive caucus' tweets in support of it. This one in particular
https://twitter.com/USProgressives/status/1584611024116015105?s=20&t=RvBLlDbbQ0mSPJ3Bp3MTag

yes there is 100% a ukrainian information blackout (albeit obviously it's not perfectly effective). Russia has also blown up internet and cellular infrastructure in Kherson as well as having recently cracked down on Russian mil bloggers so there's not much info coming out of any side right now.

Rinkles posted:

What was the impetus for yesterday's "call for negotiation" from the Progressive Caucus? The midterms?

Rigel posted:

Also, aside from stupid assholes like Cruz who aren't liked and would never get the job, Senate Majority Leader is not a job any of the other reasonable alternatives really want. The speaker has more of an ability to be a bit of a firebrand in the house as long as they don't go too far, but the majority leader has to always keep 50+1 wanna-be future presidents in line, never gets credit for making that happen, and always gets the blame from activists whenever he fails. McConnell always gets support because if he quits, someone else has to take over.

Nenonen posted:

So y'all saying that Trump would be the perfect speaker?

And a few more borderline posts, and then half a dozen to a dozen posts long questionably necessary conversation on whether if the letter really is or is not from July or whatever.

Summarising, from my perspective, I had just read about 80-120 posts (I don't let myself fall behind more than 2-3 pages even if my day is slammed), out of which the thread could've missed 25 to, say, 40 posts – not in the least since 2-3 legitimate topics did drown in that noise, e.g., the story about the long-range missile crew from Russia. Since the common denominator for the two conversations was "bloviating about the USA", I posted a corresponding warning:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I must have missed when this became a US politics thread.

A few people asked questions related to the warning, and so I made it more clear with a subsequent warning:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

No, this is a current events thread for a war in Ukraine, and the last page about economies of Germany and California, months old words from random members of the lower house of US parliament, and some theoretical wanking about what could or could not happen at some point in the future was broadly irrelevant and tedious to read.

Hardly the best warning I've ever written, but should not be a particularly ambiguous one. Alas, it was not, so after a few probes I even dropped a third warning:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Instead of derailing the thread further with the most :thunk: caveat "I hope someone else makes a relevant post", consider being the change that you want to see.

After which the posters keen on ruminating about American politicians did finally agree to move on, besides Herstory deciding that it was a great opportunity for some backseat modding:

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Am I missing something because the direct politics of american support for Ukraine seems incredibly in the purview of this thread called "War in Ukraine"? particularly while it's still a developing story

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

When, in fact, the “no DSA chat” rule of the old thread, that I had forgotten to copy into the rules of the ongoing thread when rebooting it, was very specifically meant to shoot down the posts like the one they made, with poo poo some leftist American org said somewhere on the media, on their approach to the thread.

tl;dr: It was 2 US-centric convos totalling to at least 2 dozen dubiously contributing posts, spread across merely 2 pages, that set me off to intervene at an arguably slow and soft, for me, pace, not just a mere invocation of congressional politics.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 31, 2022

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Just want to highlight this as an example of moderation that curates the conversation in its thread or forum (if, as czs notes, a bit more slowly and softly than he usually does). Lots of folks have heated opinions about whether that's a trait of good moderation or the worst moderation, but it's worth noting and a nice opportunity to understand the thought process and actions behind it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
While I think that some of CZS's actions are a bit heavyhanded (for example, some of the derail posts they highlight are providing direct sourcing and context that serves to explain why the US Reps letter is irrelevant), it's infinitely better than choosing to not enforce the rules, or entertain users who come to the forum seeking a reaction they can then take back to a group socialized around opposing the forum's purpose.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

While I think that some of CZS's actions are a bit heavyhanded (for example, some of the derail posts they highlight are providing direct sourcing and context that serves to explain why the US Reps letter is irrelevant), it's infinitely better than choosing to not enforce the rules, or entertain users who come to the forum seeking a reaction they can then take back to a group socialized around opposing the forum's purpose.

I agree that there’s much to be gleaned from reading the poll figures in the article linked in the tweet by Herstory. On Herstory’s post, I take issue with the intent behind the post - I parse it as “look at the bad thing the caucus Twitter said”, rather than “here’s a factual supplement for this discourse”.

Perhaps there’s also something good in the Quincy Institute tweet thread, I didn’t study it thoroughly. On the Eric’s post, I dislike just the first sentence, and would’ve not mentioned the post at all without it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm a jokey guy but I was serious. If you're considering stats, post them.

Vox was right about the first secone part of his post.

Discendo Vox posted:

ll
You should not use the number of reports as a metric of quality; Campbell's law applies. There are reasons for the report number to decline that don't have to do with things getting better. Users leaving, activity shrinking, and users being taught that reports will do nothing, will also cause the number of reports to drop. You need to start with what you believe the forum is supposed to be, and directly tie it to your evaluation of "quality," preferably with more explicit terms, and with prior identification of carveouts.

For example, if you believe that the subforum should be educational, then people asking more factual questions that get answered can be a sign of healthy discourse, and that standard can be explicitly exclusive of people asking rhetorical questions intended to derail discussion. I could give a big rant about functional form here, but unless you think that "quality of the subforum" is inherently a number, you should treat numeric measures with skepticism- you'll tend to overvalue them.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 31, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Harold Fjord posted:

Vox was right about the first part of his post.

I have no idea what numbers you expect to see or think that we are tracking.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I have no idea what numbers you expect to see or think that we are tracking.

Koos Group posted:

Yes, generally speaking based on the feedback, the day to day thread quality, and the behind the scenes metric of reports, D&D seems to be doing better than it was.

I assume they're referring to that mention of numbers.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Harold Fjord posted:

Vox was right about the first secone part of his post.

All of those were my impressions, not figures. Thread quality cannot be quantified, and while reports could, making those numbers public would run afoul of Campbell's Law in the way Vox pointed out.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Koos Group posted:

Thread quality cannot be quantified
why you got to hate on the rating system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
Since we seem to be winding down and I'm going to be gone for the rest of the night, I'll call it there. As always, thank you to everyone for their sincere feedback. A few takeaways for me:

• As Main Paineframe said, we may have been slipping on enforcing guideline I.A.3: acknowledge rebuttals to your arguments. This was in the context of posters getting facts wrong, then becoming obstinate when they were corrected. This can be a difficult rule to enforce because it involves looking across multiple posts and often following sources, but it seems necessary for quality discussion and we will do our best.
  • After investigating Robot's claim that we were not properly probating for violations of I.B: assume good faith, I found him to be correct. There were multiple reports where posters accused others of acting in bad faith that were not acted on. I've spoken to all the mods about this and it should be enforced more consistently in the future.
  • While this is not new, it may be helpful to clarify. We are now giving non-US regional threads as much autonomy as possible and will continue to do so.