Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Pieter posted:

It's always the same pattern in these Apache attacks, with extra bombs dropped on severely wounded people. Isn't that a war crime?

It's basically that or leaving them to die of their wounds (which chances are, won't be too long). If the enemy wounded are lucky, they'll be in shock or unconscious before then. So yea, it can be viewed as morally correct to at least ensure they die quicker than they otherwise would.

EDIT: Just saw the 'off-topic' warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Scarlet Hot Dog posted:

To be honest I think the general media is trying to bunch a dozen groups into one simple package as the 'Free Syria Army,' for convenience. It's just not that simple. There are a huge amount of groups including true freedom fighters, fundamentalists and all kinds of other splinter groups currently in play in Syria, each with their own agenda.

I'm really worried about the hardcore fundamentalist groups that have reared their head since this whole mess started.

Just another way Assad is holding the country together :v:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

I thought VX gas was something Michael Bay made up for "The Rock", that poo poo is real? :ohdear:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

keyframe posted:

I thought VX gas was something Michael Bay made up for "The Rock", that poo poo is real? :ohdear:

Yes.

The good news is that it doesn't melt you or turn you into a mutant in that movie before you die. The bad news is if a 10mg drop touched your arm, you'd be dead within minutes from your diaphragm spasming enough that you can't breathe.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

keyframe posted:

Pubmed offers some good stuff on its effects. Pretty disturbing stuff. May Sean Connery save us all.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=methylphosphonothioate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VX_(nerve_agent)

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Banano posted:

No, because they are merely combatants, therefore we can do absolutely anything we like to them.

not really

the main elements of international humanitarian law are 1. distinction between military targets and civilians, 2. proportionality, 3. not inflicting unnecessary suffering (plus treatment of POWs, etc)

1 has come into question recently since people are just going to claim "well we're fighting an irregular force!! it's not like they make themselves easily distinguishable from the civilians they hide amongst!! plus that baby looked threatening", but tearing wounded dudes apart from a helicopter may well fall within what's punishable under 2 and 3

then again, international law, ICC, laughing stock, etc

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
EDIT: Off-topic, don't want to catch a warning so I'm dropping this

Chortles fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 19, 2012

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
^^^^ Mod threw us a warning for getting off topic. So...

MoonTuna
Feb 11, 2011

by angerbot
HSBC is laundering money.

Helping sanctions-busting by Iran. Turning a blind eye to massive cash transfers out of a Mexican border area infested with drugs gangs. Refusing to cut off a Saudi bank suspected of having links to al-Qa'ida. Funnelling hundreds of millions of dollars in suspicious travellers cheques from Russian "used-car salesmen" through Japan to the US. Ignoring its own employees who warned that the bank was awash with dirty money.

A US Senate committee has just published a list of HSBC's failures to catch suspicious transactions and clamp down on money laundering, and it is a very long list indeed. A laundry list, if you like.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/analysis-and-features/accused-hsbc-in-the-dock-7953539.html

I like how too big to fail has become a washing machine to terrorist organizations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MoonTuna posted:

I like how too big to fail has become a washing machine to terrorist organizations.

Jesus, can't we declare that the banking industry is a clear and present danger to America and its interests and have their CEOs, chairmen, and board of directors gitmo'ed?

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Young Freud posted:

Jesus, can't we declare that the banking industry is a clear and present danger to America and its interests and have their CEOs, chairmen, and board of directors gitmo'ed?

I'm fiscally conservative. So I would prefer summary executions. For them, and some politicians on both sides of the isle.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Pieter posted:

It's always the same pattern in these Apache attacks, with extra bombs dropped on severely wounded people. Isn't that a war crime?

The reasons why the pilots finished off wounded combatants are tough. The fact that it happens sucks. But there was a need a to do it in this situation.

You're in a situation where you have many armed combatants approaching US soldiers. It's up to you and your wingman to prevent an engagement between the two, so you pick off the combatants a few at a time. Some are left wounded, but possibly able and willing to pick up their weapons and continue fighting. At the same time, there are still other able-bodied combatants running around. You're left with two choices - you can leave the wounded alone and take the chance of them firing at and possibly killing the approaching soldiers while you try to stop the other combatants, or you can kill them and remove that possibility. Even if all the able-bodied combatants were down, you still wouldn't be in a position to determine whether or not the wounded would continue to fight.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 19, 2012

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

SexyBlindfold posted:

i am very sad about Bruno being probated, I would love to see what he's got to say about this new development of the zionist plot :allears:
He's actively making comments in this blog

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MoonTuna posted:

HSBC is laundering money.

Helping sanctions-busting by Iran. Turning a blind eye to massive cash transfers out of a Mexican border area infested with drugs gangs. Refusing to cut off a Saudi bank suspected of having links to al-Qa'ida. Funnelling hundreds of millions of dollars in suspicious travellers cheques from Russian "used-car salesmen" through Japan to the US. Ignoring its own employees who warned that the bank was awash with dirty money.

A US Senate committee has just published a list of HSBC's failures to catch suspicious transactions and clamp down on money laundering, and it is a very long list indeed. A laundry list, if you like.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/analysis-and-features/accused-hsbc-in-the-dock-7953539.html

Between LIBOR and this we really should just start the :commissar: and be done with it in a quick and clean manner.

Captain Hindsight
Jan 7, 2011

The Entire Universe posted:

Between LIBOR and this we really should just start the :commissar: and be done with it in a quick and clean manner.
Agreed.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

The Entire Universe posted:

It would be interesting to see an American-spring, so to speak. Though, nothing really violent. Just a hey, James Inhofe, step down or...ya know...accidents happen.

e: It's 5am in Damascus right now. Wondering what the next several hours will bring.

Kempo Yellow Belt fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 19, 2012

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
The Middle East's biggest Star Trek Voyager fan is also coming to the conclusion that Syria is now in a state of civil war. King Abdullah II also goes on to talk about the threat from chemical weapons, which seems to be becoming a big part of the narrative right now. I've got to imagine that the FSA are getting a great deal of pressure from outside to secure those stocks as soon as possible when (not if) Bashar falls. http://blogs.aljazeera.com/topic/syria/king-jordan-warns-full-out-civil-war-syria

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

truth masseuse posted:

It would be interesting to see an American-spring, so to speak. Though, nothing really violent. Just a hey, James Inhofe, step down or...ya know...accidents happen.

e: It's 5am in Damascus right now. Wondering what the next several hours will bring.
You mean like a peaceful protest were in cities all over the country people make protests about income inequality and market\bank deregulation while the state makes sure the big companies never collapse? :v:

truth masseuse posted:

I'm fiscally conservative. So I would prefer summary executions. For them, and some politicians on both sides of the isle.
I always liked American politics because even a nut like Ron Paul can come forward and say things that make sense. That's how screwed up American policy making is.

Even Newt talked about caring about animals.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Mans posted:

You mean like a peaceful protest were in cities all over the country people make protests about income inequality and market\bank deregulation while the state makes sure the big companies never collapse? :v:

I always liked American politics because even a nut like Ron Paul can come forward and say things that make sense. That's how screwed up American policy making is.

Even Newt talked about caring about animals.

Occupy was a failure. Things are just going to get worse...gently caress it. :shepicide:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Section 31 posted:

He's actively making comments in this blog

Bruno is just another idiot 22 year old Canadian with more money than sense. I don't really see the appeal in setting him off.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Kaal posted:

Bruno is just another idiot 22 year old Canadian with more money than sense. I don't really see the appeal in setting him off.

Pssh. Of course a member of the JIDF is going be dismissive of The Truth.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nenonen posted:

I wonder how the Assad clan reacts to a relative's death.

also,

Yes, Seryozha. That's why it's being proposed. :allears:

The last thing Putin wants to do right now is have his people see him as open to revolution against brutal governments. :commissar:

Brown Moses posted:

I wonder how Iran will react to this sudden turn of events. Any think there's a chance of military intervention from Iran?

Iran (openly) moving their military in to Syria would be pushing their luck and make sanctions against them just come that much bigger and faster. Plus the less military force they have at home, the less people they have to put down any potential uprising like a resurgence of the green movement.

If I were an Alawite in Syria I'd have probably fled the country by now because if the rebels don't take out their anger via some ethnic cleansing I'll be shocked as it'd mean those forces have all managed to temper their previous hatred towards the group.

Capt Murphy posted:

I love Western hypocrisy regarding democracy in the Arab world. Yes I realize you voted for him, but you voted for the wrong guy.

You should probably realize that this is the same mindset the western world has for its own elections.

McDowell posted:

Maybe the rumors of mass defections were from an order to use chemical weapons on the people?

If that were true we'd have heard about it by now as soldiers would've been very vocal on something of that scale. If you're given an order that makes you go from supporting a guy ordering you to shoot your own citizens, to defecting, you are going to tell people why.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

truth masseuse posted:

Occupy was a failure. Things are just going to get worse...gently caress it. :shepicide:

People are too comfortable. When the overall comfort level falls enough, the people will begin to revolt. Main difference between the US and the Middle East is that they don't have easy access to Xboxes over there.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

J33uk posted:

King Abdullah II also goes on to talk about the threat from chemical weapons, which seems to be becoming a big part of the narrative right now.

How long are neighboring states going to tolerate Assad's radio silence before they start agreeing that someone really should secure those chemical weapons?

Maybe it's just their media portrayal, but the FSA doesn't seem anywhere near as organized or unified as the NTC was when it basically took over things in Libya, so does anyone really feel comfortable with leaving things in their hands?

zero alpha
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Edit: I think I misunderstood you. Never mind.

zero alpha fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 19, 2012

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone have any idea about how Iranian civilians feel about the FSA/Assad conflict? I know the Lebanese generally support it, and Nasrallah continuing to support Assad makes Hezbollah look bad, but is the situation in Iran different? I ask because I'm wondering if they wouldn't be as eager to throw more support behind Assad in light of these new developments if it meant rocking the boat domestically. Gonna be an interesting day.

VVVV Yeah, we're definitely not in Egypt anymore. There's far less of a consensus about what post-assad Syria should look like than there was with other Arab Spring countries. It's going to be a tough situation for the Syrians to figure out.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 19, 2012

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

cgeq posted:

How long are neighboring states going to tolerate Assad's radio silence before they start agreeing that someone really should secure those chemical weapons?

Maybe it's just their media portrayal, but the FSA doesn't seem anywhere near as organized or unified as the NTC was when it basically took over things in Libya, so does anyone really feel comfortable with leaving things in their hands?

I'm concerned that a post-civil war landscape could be much more brutal than what is currently going on. I don't think anyone outside of Syria is in much of a position to do anything about it other than try to bring the parties together and hope for a peaceful solution.

Winning a revolution is the easy part, maintaining it is an entirely different thing.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Can anyone get a translation on this alleged FSA document? It supposedly details who died in the bombing and how it was executed.

edit: And this video, which is mostly a lovely night vision of the Damascus skyline taken early in this morning, is particularly interesting because around the :26 mark you see what appears to be a few bursts of AA fire into the night sky followed by a notable explosion on the ground around :40. While the AA could be video artifacts (although it seems pretty linear), it seems to suggest that someone in the city is putting up AA resistance against aircraft that might be conducting bombings. I suppose it could also be illumination flares, but the trajectory seems to place doubt on that.

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 19, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Young Freud posted:

You might have a problem with that since HSBC is a British bank.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
In response to the Apache video: I think since the US has been actively fighting Islamic militants in the last decade that the general position has been that no enemy combatant is truly neutralized until he is completely 100% dead. We arent fighting nazis anymore, a gunshot wound isnt going to make a hardcore Taliban fighter want to surrender to save his life. These people want to die, and take an American soldier with them in the process. If one of these guys isnt dead then they might have enough energy to detonate a suicide vest or pick up a rifle and take out an American soldier.

It reminds me of a very controversial video from the Falluja operation in 2004. A bunch of marines are in a building with dead insurgents all over the place. One of the marines sees one of the insurgents move, and the marine shoots and kills him. Now you would think this would be a major war crime, and legally speaking it probably is, but the fanatics these marines were fighting routinely were wearing suicide vests and I dont blame this particular marine for killing this insurgent and potentially saving the life of himself and his fellow marines.

Im not saying its right to kill an enemy thats already wounded, but like Ive pointed out I totally understand why they are doing it. And I would feel far worse if US soldiers were getting killed because they are trying to follow a Geneva convention that doesnt make a lot of sense when fighting religious fanatics.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If anything that would make it easier. No law restrains us in dealing with so-called "foreign nationals."

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
http://www.enduringamerica.com/home/2012/7/18/syria-and-beyond-live-coverage-un-talks-damascus-fights.html#disqus_thread

That blog cites a twitter saying that fixed wing aircraft are over the city.

The AA fire could be FSA against that, maybe?

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Charliegrs posted:

In response to the Apache video: I think since the US has been actively fighting Islamic militants in the last decade that the general position has been that no enemy combatant is truly neutralized until he is completely 100% dead. We arent fighting nazis anymore, a gunshot wound isnt going to make a hardcore Taliban fighter want to surrender to save his life. These people want to die, and take an American soldier with them in the process. If one of these guys isnt dead then they might have enough energy to detonate a suicide vest or pick up a rifle and take out an American soldier.

It reminds me of a very controversial video from the Falluja operation in 2004. A bunch of marines are in a building with dead insurgents all over the place. One of the marines sees one of the insurgents move, and the marine shoots and kills him. Now you would think this would be a major war crime, and legally speaking it probably is, but the fanatics these marines were fighting routinely were wearing suicide vests and I dont blame this particular marine for killing this insurgent and potentially saving the life of himself and his fellow marines.

Im not saying its right to kill an enemy thats already wounded, but like Ive pointed out I totally understand why they are doing it. And I would feel far worse if US soldiers were getting killed because they are trying to follow a Geneva convention that doesnt make a lot of sense fighting religious fanatics.

This is a grotesque apologia for barbarism. You should be ashamed of yourself. "Legally speaking this is probably a major war crime, but I don't blame him for doing it?" loving Christ, man. "These people" don't want to die, they want the U.S. occupying forces out of their country.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Augure posted:

This is a grotesque apologia for barbarism. You should be ashamed of yourself. "Legally speaking this is probably a major war crime, but I don't blame him for doing it?" loving Christ, man. "These people" don't want to die, they want the U.S. occupying forces out of their country.

Im pretty sure jihadists want to be martyred. You know, the whole going to paradise with the 72 virgins thing? Why do you think suicide bombers are so prevalent in conflicts that involve islamic fighters? And like I said, Im not apologizing for "barbarism" But Id rather see a half dead insurgent get a bullet in his head than a US marine get blown to pieces trying to provide some medical aid to said insurgent.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Charliegrs posted:

Im pretty sure jihadists want to be martyred. You know, the whole going to paradise with the 72 virgins thing? Why do you think suicide bombers are so prevalent in conflicts that involve islamic fighters? And like I said, Im not apologizing for "barbarism" But Id rather see a half dead insurgent get a bullet in his head than a US marine get blown to pieces trying to provide some medical aid to said insurgent.

You either have a child's understanding of the last hundred years of Middle Eastern history, or you're doing a pretty poor job of trying to troll a very informative thread.

e: looking at your post history I see that you post in this thread fairly often, so how in the goddamn hell can you still think this way?

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Just a reminder that mods said cut the Apache talk. Maybe rules of engagement could be its own thread?

edit: And if the FSA is putting up even limited AA in Damascus proper I'd say that represents a noteworthy step.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Augure posted:

Just a reminder that the Taliban are complete pieces of poo poo who will continue to murder their own people with or without a U.S. presence there. There's room for debate about how that situation should be handled (although not in this thread), but I don't have any more sympathy for these people than I do for Assad's soldiers getting executed.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It still was a top ten bank in the United States. Swiss and French banks also have huge influence here in the States.

Edit: Truthers in Syria

http://amanpour.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/18/in-wake-of-damascus-killings-a-bizarre-scene/

quote:

The attack took place in the heart of Damascus. And Van Hoorn reports, “Nobody has given me a good explanation for how it could be that only one hundred meters from the site of the supposed blast, people were just acting as if nothing had happened.

The key words there are ‘the supposed blast.’ When asked about conflicting reports of what

happened, Van Hoorn said this: “I was in the hotel, so I should have been able to hear it. I didn’t.”

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 19, 2012

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
On topic please. Nobody gives a gently caress about your moral outrage at what another poster said. If you absolutely have to continue discussing it, make a new thread.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I wouldn't dismiss this yet. The situation around these attacks remains unclear, and it may have been a coup attempt rather than an FSA bombing. Are there any photos of the bombed area? That video captured near the site really does look as though nothing happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sum
Nov 15, 2010

MothraAttack posted:

edit: And this video, which is mostly a lovely night vision of the Damascus skyline taken early in this morning, is particularly interesting because around the :26 mark you see what appears to be a few bursts of AA fire into the night sky followed by a notable explosion on the ground around :40. While the AA could be video artifacts (although it seems pretty linear), it seems to suggest that someone in the city is putting up AA resistance against aircraft that might be conducting bombings. I suppose it could also be illumination flares, but the trajectory seems to place doubt on that.

To me it looks it might be a ricochet. If they were truly trying to put fire on an aircraft they probably would've shot at it for an extended period.

• Locked thread