Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

site posted:

lol had to share this:

Rep says the Civil War was a Christian war against slavery and that's why same sex marriage is offensive and a bad call.

Wait, so were Washington, Jefferson, Madison not real Christians then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

Wait, so were Washington, Jefferson, Madison not real Christians then?

Jefferson? The "I have an official copy of the Koran" Jefferson?

Yeah, no loving way would he ever bend to the whims of a priest.

That was a good moment in US politics. In 2006 it was loving dire for the left, but a Muslim member of congress wanted to use a Koran for the swearing in ceremony the the right wing media lost its mind. Then, it came out that he was going to use Thomas Jefferson's personal copy and suddenly everyone went "Oh, well, how can you have a problem with a book that was owned by a founding father?" and shut the debate down hard.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 1, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Republicans posted:

Awwww, now they have no reason to allow Baphomet to go up as well.

What was the exact wording? Would it be possible to get the Baphomet statue up without the commandments?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

GlyphGryph posted:

What was the exact wording? Would it be possible to get the Baphomet statue up without the commandments?

The Statnic church that applied for a space for Baphomet said they wouldn't put it up unless the Ten Commandments were there as well. Something about Baphomet symbolizing the reconciliation of the irreconcilable.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Sounds like conservatives should be all over his poo poo then. Baphomet/Bush 2016! Failing our way to victory!

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Shbobdb posted:

Crucial Steps in Combating the AIDS epidemic

It's a great example of "small government" solutions from one of the greatest intellectuals of the Paleoconservative wing of the Republican Party. If anyone says they respect Buckley, tell them to go gently caress themselves.

He went all Islander later but that is a good starting point.

Funny how a column by the oracle of 20th Century conservative intellectualism, if it were written today, wouldn't meet the standard of any mainstream national media.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Heritage, not hatred.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/another-historically-black-church-south-carolina-burning-n384876

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's more they're arguing that laws coming out like "no you can't murder, disenfranchise, and mistreat X demographic anymore, knock it the gently caress off" put restrictions on their behavior and thus makes them less free.
Some idiot Texas lady on Hannity today said pretty much this. She said "the left" has always been against true American freedoms, and compared not being able to actively persecute gays to not being able to bring her concealed handgun into a daycare.

Naturally Hannity agreed and encouraged her to continue being fearful since things are only going to get worse.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

beatlegs posted:

Funny how a column by the oracle of 20th Century conservative intellectualism, if it were written today, wouldn't meet the standard of any mainstream national media.

I'm pretty sure Drudge is still 100% behind the idea of branding every HIV patient on the rear end so no one accidentally gets AIDS.

Plenty of mainstream conservative media are still this bad. They just aren't on TV or print anymore.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Has Fox described these black church burnings as an attack on Christianity yet?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
They'd have to acknowledge blacks as anything but looters and thugs in the first place.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Animal-Mother posted:

Has Fox described these black church burnings as an attack on Christianity yet?

At this point "Christian" only means "white people" as far as they're concerned.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

At this point "Christian" only means "white peopleRepublicans" as far as they're concerned.

FTFY

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Listened to Levin again tonight (I hate myself!) and he started going off on a tangent about some broadcast personality that has been saying poo poo about him. He said that if he did ONE MORE TIME, he'd devote an hour of his own show airing the dirty laundry of whoever this dude is.

Anyone know who the gently caress he's talking about?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

lowercase16 posted:

Listened to Levin again tonight (I hate myself!) and he started going off on a tangent about some broadcast personality that has been saying poo poo about him. He said that if he did ONE MORE TIME, he'd devote an hour of his own show airing the dirty laundry of whoever this dude is.

Well, he sure doesn't.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Obdicut posted:

Oh man how did I forget that so quickly, that was one of the stupidest things I've ever read in my life, and I've read a lot of Bill Kristol.
Counterpoint: it was funny to encounter actual anti-Italian racism in 2015, like I wanted to ask him what he thought of the Black Sox scandal

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Master Twig posted:

I'm honestly surprised there isn't an open movement on the right in this country to alter the 1st Amendment (with a new amendment I suppose) that removes the freedom of religion clause and tears down the separation of church and state. I don't remember the exact number, but a significant number of Americans want Christianity as the official state religion.

Generally they just pretend the bits of the constitution guaranteeing the separation of church and state don't exist and are a lie constructed by deceitful liberals. Pretending it says what you want it to say is a whole lot easier than actually changing it to say what you want it to say

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Reminds me of a guys shirt I saw a few years back.
"It's freedom of religion, not freedom from religion."

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
It's freedom of Sharia Law, not freedom from Sharia Law. :eng101:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Eh, don't know if it fits here, but saw this gem on Google News: Jim Carrey Brands California Governor "Corporate Fascist" Over Vaccine Law.

Apparently the years being with Jenny McCarthy did do something; delayed onset downs syndrome is a thing, right? Also, he wants to make it clear that he's pro vaccine, but anti neurotoxin.

~~words have no meaning~~

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

lowercase16 posted:

It's probably Michael Savage. They've had a dumb feud going for years and years. A few years ago they publicly "buried the hatchet" at CPAC, but it wouldn't surprise me if it flared up again. They both think the other is an arrogant prick, and they're both right!

From my perspective it looks like Levin hates feeling like he can't make arguments from authority because Savage has a Ph.D. from U.C. Berkeley while Levin only has a J.D. from Temple University. According to Levin, Savage mentions his Ph.D. too often on the air. Meanwhile, Levin never loving shuts about being a political appointee in the Reagan admin under Edwin Meese and filing amicus briefs to SCOTUS with his lovely legal foundation.

Levin is one of the most insecure talk radio personalities I have ever listened to. He literally cannot handle a caller even mentioning the name of another national radio host on his program. He will find an excuse to cut the caller off the second it happens no matter what the person is calling about. He also spends about half of every show plugging his books. I used to think that describing it as "half" was being unfair to him, but then I really started paying attention to it. It literally is nearly half of every show. Another quarter to a third is filled with ads. By my calculation there's probably about 30 minutes of actual content in his show. The rest is either ads, him repeating himself, him arguing with callers who call in to agree with him, or going off on a non-sequitur about the bump-in music.

The only reason his show still exists is because his dinner time slot is ratings garbage and he does marginally better than news bulletin repeats. During sports seasons, any of them, he gets pre-empted in lots of markets.

He's also not really what you would call a brilliant legal mind despite constantly saying he has important opinions on constitutional matters. He doesn't appear to have ever actually read a supreme court case, and that includes the ones that even people who aren't self-proclaimed legal scholars have read. He's a political hack and his critique of supreme court decisions is always political. He will never ever engage with the text of an actual decision. He is Dunning-Kruger, constitutional edition, writ large.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jul 1, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Master Twig posted:

I'm honestly surprised there isn't an open movement on the right in this country to alter the 1st Amendment (with a new amendment I suppose) that removes the freedom of religion clause and tears down the separation of church and state. I don't remember the exact number, but a significant number of Americans want Christianity as the official state religion.

They could never ever get 38 states to agree with that as a new amendment for a whole host of reasons, and being forever stuck with like 25 at best would just be embarrassing for them.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

"Thanks" largely to this thread I've started hate-listening to talk radio. :mad:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Evangelicals also believe that literally everything that might lead somebody away from The One True Faith is literally the devil deliberately trying to lure people away. A common belief among the fundies is that Earth is a battleground between good and evil (as in, God and Satan) and that we must be vigilant, keep an eye out for the devil's influence, and work to crush it however we can. That's why they hate secular culture and secular ideas so much. They believe somebody saying "it's fine to be gay or not Christian" is being influenced by the devil to say that so he can lure people away from Jesus.

No.

Seriously.

People actually believe this.

I wish I was making that up.

He's not joking. I can confirm this.

On a related note, here's 81 things that Mike Huckabee has denounced. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2015/07/01/81-things-that-mike-huckabee-has-denounced/

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

AsInHowe posted:

On a related note, here's 81 things that Mike Huckabee has denounced. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2015/07/01/81-things-that-mike-huckabee-has-denounced/

The funniest version of this is E.W. Jackson saying yoga is part of the path to worshipping satan because during yoga you "empty yourself" and satan is happy to fill that void. He tried to walk it back, but his 2008 book was very clear on it.

Like, gently caress, you would think stretching and being calm would be pretty non-controversial. Nope. Think again. It's satan tempting you! The thinking appears to be "the only moral X is my X" taken to the extreme and applied to all the minutiae in every piece of your life.

edit: That list is a pro click. Holy poo poo.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 1, 2015

usbombshell
Oct 29, 2004

Boom!

ErIog posted:

It's probably Michael Savage. They've had a dumb feud going for years and years. A few years ago they publicly "buried the hatchet" at CPAC, but it wouldn't surprise me if it flared up again. They both think the other is an arrogant prick, and they're both right!

...Levin talk...

I had swine flu a couple of years back and stayed in bed for a few days. My local radio played an hour or two of Levin before Coast to Coast AM, so I listened to it drifting in and out of fever dreams. For a couple of days straight, he literally read from whatever book he was plugging at the time--not quotes or passages, but page after page for almost the entire show. It was bizarre.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Had a cousin post a Trump image macro "Why would MSNBC hire liar Brian Williams but fire Trump for speaking his mind" that was hosted by "Fox & Friends". So I am guessing Trump is at least going to pick up a part-time contributor position when his time in the race is over.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Was watching C-Span this morning, and they were having callers in to discuss Chris Christie's declaration of intent to run. One woman called in and was complaining about how State workers in NJ are the highest paid in the nation, and how "teachers are paid $55,000 to start! This is what we're talking about competing with!"

And yet she was a Christie supporter because he seemed like "a good guy." I don't think even she knew the point she was trying to make.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

AsInHowe posted:

:irony: posted:

People who are constantly taking offense. “Being offended is a full-time job for many. It’s a tedious task, for it requires enormous amounts of imagination and creativity, [and] relentless pursuit of an audience willing to swallow the notion of the offense.”

This is the list of a man who has never once had a moment of introspection or critical self examination, lest his head explode.

Klaus88 fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 1, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Not a Children posted:

Was watching C-Span this morning, and they were having callers in to discuss Chris Christie's declaration of intent to run. One woman called in and was complaining about how State workers in NJ are the highest paid in the nation, and how "teachers are paid $55,000 to start! This is what we're talking about competing with!"

And that's a bad thing? I thought most people agreed that teachers probably deserved higher salaries, even across party lines.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

While profanity can sometimes be the lashing out of a feeble mind, what Huckabee fails to realize here is that it can also be really fun

Keeshhound posted:

And that's a bad thing? I thought most people agreed that teachers probably deserved higher salaries, even across party lines.

Yeah but you're not actually supposed to do anything about it. You're just supposed to hope out loud, which is free

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Keeshhound posted:

:happened: Nowhere in the goddamn country are teachers being paid 55k to start without some incredibly significant footnotes attached.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Keeshhound posted:

I thought most people agreed that teachers probably deserved higher salaries, even across party lines.

ahahahahaha

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

How many days have Kansas teachers cut from the school year due to budget cuts again?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Cythereal posted:

:happened: Nowhere in the goddamn country are teachers being paid 55k to start without some incredibly significant footnotes attached.

They're probably including benefits in the figure somehow.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

I meant that whenever the subject comes up, people fall over themselves to posture about how criminal it is that the people we entrust our children to are so horribly underpaid, and then nobody does anything about it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

I meant that whenever the subject comes up, people fall over themselves to posture about how criminal it is that the people we entrust our children to are so horribly underpaid, and then nobody does anything about it.

Well Jesus said that money is inherently corrupt and that the rich will burn so it's important that those our children are entrusted to are kept as morally pure as possible

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Well Jesus said that money is inherently corrupt and that the rich will burn so it's important that those our children are entrusted to are kept as morally pure as possible

"That's right! If you pay them less, you'll get the teachers who are there because they want to teach, rather than just sit around, spouting liberal nonsense, and getting rich! In fact, that's why I homeschool my children, so they can get the best education possible from my wife!" :bahgawd:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Karl Sharks posted:

https://www.njea.org/teaching-and-learning/jobs-and-certification/teaching-jobs

Based solely on the above link, it seems like there are some school districts that have a 55k+ starting salary. I'm sure getting into one of those jobs is highly competitive, though, and someone with a masters degree getting a starting salary of at least 50k sounds pretty basic to me. No idea what benefits if any they're including in the calc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

Karl Sharks posted:

Or, as I overheard someone arguing, "they only work for 9 months out of the year, so it's like they're really getting paid $50000+ per year."