Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

VitalSigns posted:

Awh, don't worry buddy, my cynicism about politics is well isolated from my personal life, I'm having a lovely week :)

That being said, now's a good time to invest in Glenlivet 15+. Prices can only go up up up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Solkanar512 posted:

That's not what he's loving saying, quit being so loving dense. His point is at trying to understand why a cop suddenly decides it's a good idea to unload over a dozen bullets into someone who's clearly not a threat.

They're afraid and think waiting 10 seconds would get them killed whereas just unloading on the guy would statistically not get them in trouble and probably would get them money and/or paid time off. There are really any consequences unless you really really gently caress up is kind of the problem with modern policing

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

He really is the worst. Dawkins too.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shifty Pony posted:

ID is not required to fly and TSA agents are supposed to let you through if you have some other means to verify your identity. It is right there on their website.

Of course the TSA routinely straight up lies about how procedures are used at checkpoints even when presented with overwhelming evidence that they are lying. An absolute clusterfuck of an incompetent agency that needs to be almost totally disbanded (and not replaced by private screeners either).

quote:

Identification
Adult passengers 18 and over must show valid identification at the airport checkpoint in order to travel.

A weapon permit is not an acceptable form of identification.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

speaking of dick dorkins. http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/nov/25/richard-dawkins-links-isis-child-who-beheaded-man-and-clock-boy-ahmed-mohamed
he really has it out for the clock kid.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

All I can think about now when I see Harris or Dawkins running their traps is that episode of Always Sunny when the gang goes around chanting REASON WILL PREVAIL!

Coelacanthian
Dec 23, 2008

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

That sounds like the West Side for sure. I'm in Detroit, so as far as I'm concerned, everything west of, say, Chelsea may as well be Indiana.

Whatever. Grand Rapids is by and large pretty progressive despite the VanAndel / DeVos influence. The problem, as with pretty much anywhere, is when you get outside of major population centers. Between GR and Lansing is a wasteland, as are all the goofy little communities around GR like Hudsonville, Zeeland (kill me), and Holland. Not like the East side is immune from it. Sorry for the Michi-chat, just repping for my West Michigan progressives. :buddy:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Coelacanthian posted:

Whatever. Grand Rapids is by and large pretty progressive despite the VanAndel / DeVos influence. The problem, as with pretty much anywhere, is when you get outside of major population centers. Between GR and Lansing is a wasteland, as are all the goofy little communities around GR like Hudsonville, Zeeland (kill me), and Holland. Not like the East side is immune from it. Sorry for the Michi-chat, just repping for my West Michigan progressives. :buddy:

gently caress ya! I am in Holland on the North side, so it's pretty well-to-do white conservative land all day every day.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

mcmagic posted:

He really is the worst. Dawkins too.

I think you mean Dick Dorkins

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/revealed-accused-minneapolis-shooters-fascinated-with-guns-militia-groups-and-the-confederacy/

In a shocker, investigation shows that the three guys arrested who shot at the crowd in Minneapolis are the same guys from the /pol/ video. They're gun nuts, Confederate weeaboos, and 3 Percenters.

quote:

Police questioned a fourth person, a 32-year-old Hispanic man and aspiring model who goes by the name “Saiga Marine” online, but he was released after investigators determined he had not been at the protests at the time of the shootings.

But why male models?

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Ron Jeremy posted:

But why male models?

The whole incident was actually a viral marketing stunt for the new Zoolander movie

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

blackmongoose posted:

The whole incident was actually a viral marketing stunt for the new Zoolander movie

But why male models?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ratbert90 posted:

But why male models?

Someone has to be ridiculously good looking for those that can't be ridiculously good looking.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Teddybear posted:

In many states-- not all, I think, but many-- a charge of first-degree murder also includes inherent in it the lower charges. It may not necessarily include manslaughter, and I don't know how Illinois law works.

Criminal law is my weakest area, though, so what do I know? :shobon:

You're a garbo lawyer dude

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Agnosticism is the morally correct position, imo

Maybe the big bang was caused by some greater being, maybe not, whatever, I keep an open mind about it

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

By itself no, but the TN HCP has name, address, and photo which is more than enough information to be used in combination with something else under the following provisions:

quote:

In the event you arrive at the airport without proper ID, because it is lost or at home, you may still be allowed to fly. TSA officers will request you present two other forms of ID bearing your name. One of the items must bear your name and other identifying information such as photo, address, phone number, social security number or date of birth.

There is no standard list of what alternate forms of ID are acceptable. Examples include: temporary paper driver's licenses, non-driver IDs, social security cards, birth certificates, marriage licenses and credit cards.

There is no reason she shouldn't have been able to board the flight unless she was refusing to give any other info besides the HCP.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

JT Jag posted:

Maybe the big bang was caused by some greater being, maybe not, whatever, I keep an open mind about it

South Park Spiritualism.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

JT Jag posted:

Maybe the cop pulled the trigger 17 times, maybe God did it for him.

I guess we'll just never know :angel:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

mcmagic posted:

Am I really a dumb rear end for thinking that cops don't go to work wanting to kill a guy for no reason? Even if they don't have any humanity, why would they want to go through the paperwork? I'm just trying to get into the mind of a cop who just comes out guns blazing and shooting a kid who doesn't appear threatening at all. The best I can come up with is some sort of mental illness or PTSD?

This is the Chicago PD. They have operated their own extra judicial black site for over 40 years.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

JT Jag posted:

Were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

gradenko_2000 posted:

Were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?
Tell my wife I said... hello.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

computer parts posted:

South Park Spiritualism.

The only appropriate religious stance is that God is a giant robot which has been sealed away from us and the only way we can meet our destiny is by never stop trying to pierce the heavens and reclaim God from humanity's reactionary fear and doubt which will slowly destroy us.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Hey, whatever happened with that whole US special forces airstrike MSF hospital thing?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Buffer posted:

Hey, whatever happened with that whole US special forces airstrike MSF hospital thing?

"Whoops, our bad."

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Buffer posted:

Minor human error.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
In which Vox looks for a graceful way to avoid having to say "whoops, we were wrong" come July 2016.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Torpor posted:

I can see the officer not getting convicted in this case; I mean I can see him getting convicted also, but if he walks I would not be surprised given the facts at issue there.

The facts like, he shot a guy walking away from him and continued firing at a twitching body on the ground?

Mr Interweb posted:

So I saw something interesting about Turkey:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_NATO

Apparently they have the second highest numbers of active (and inactive) troops only behind the U.S.? Really? More than the UK or France? What's up with that?

Why would the UK or France have a large standing army? The odds of going to war with a neighbor is near-zero and for external threats if they can't handle it they just ask the US to do so.

Ballz posted:

Gonna be very curious to see how the right rationalizes the Chicago shooting after that video's released. Jesus Christ...

"He is black had a weapon" is all they need for their audience.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Not sure if this has already been posted but fun new facts from the Chicago shooting case were just broadcast on NPR:
- one of the witnesses of the shooting was apparently taken to a holding cell and told she didn't see anything :lol:
- the cop who went into the nearby Burger King to erase the surveillance video of the shooting...didn't erase the surveillance video of him erasing the surveillance video :haw:

Hahahaaaaaaaa. :saddowns:

You say this second point as if there's any realistic chance of them being charged for destroying evidence. I'd really love to be wrong and see the cop(s) involved all get strung up for it but I'm not holding my breath. :smith:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I've picked up on a trend in this election cycle that hadn't really been present, to the extend it is today, in previous elections. I initially chalked it up to just not remembering the full extent of previous primary cycles, but Vice has my back:
https://news.vice.com/article/its-increasingly-clear-facts-dont-matter-in-the-republican-presidential-primary?utm_source=vicenewsfb

Vice posted:

In case there had been any doubt, the past 72 hours have solidified that facts are not a priority in the current Republican presidential primary race. Despite making a stream of proven false statements in recent days, "outsider" candidates Donald Trump and Ben Carson are still at the front of the GOP pack — suggesting the candidates' disavowal of facts could actually be helping more than hurting them in this race.

Trump insisted for the fourth day in a row, at a campaign rally in South Carolina yesterday, that Muslims really did cheer and celebrate in the streets of New Jersey after the September 11, 2001 attacks. When ABC's George Stephanopoulos questioned Trump about his claims over the weekend, citing numerous reports from police and officials who were there said that this simply did not happen, the reality television star doubled down, insisting that, "It did happen. I saw it."

The same Sunday, he tweeted a graphic with false crime statistics saying that 81 percent of white people murdered this year died at the hands of African-Americans. According to the FBI, 82 percent of white homicides were perpetrated by other white people in 2014, not the other way around. The statistics that Trump tweeted were attributed to something called the Crime Statistics Bureau, which does not exist, and the graphic was actually traced back to a white supremacist Twitter account.

Trump's fondness for historical fiction began long before this past weekend. The New York Times reported yesterday how shortly after Trump bought a Virginia golf course in 2009, he ceremoniously dedicated a spot on the golf range to a Civil War battle that never took place. The plaque dedicated to the "River of Blood" is still there, between the 14th and 15th holes.

But none of these false statements seem to matter much to voters. According to the most recent CBS poll, Trump continues to lead in both of the key battleground states of Iowa and New Hampshire. When voters were asked what the their favorite thing about him was, the majority said it was that "he says things others are afraid to say."

Ben Domenech, a Republican commentator and columnist, says that the desire for an outsider candidate,manifested by an all-time low trust in government, has allowed for candidates like Trump and Carson to get away with saying whatever they want "as long as they're viewed as somebody who is also calling BS on the current system."

The only other candidate who seems to be saying whatever they want as much as Donald Trump is Ben Carson. The former neurosurgeon mistakenly claimed on Sunday that Thomas Jefferson helped "craft" the Constitution. Jefferson was not on this side of the Atlantic when the Constitution was written, something that Carson himself acknowledged in his own book on constitutional theory, A More Perfect Union. Another of his tomes, the autobiography Gifted Hands, has also endured multiple false fact accusations.

Then on Monday, Carson agreed with Trump and said he saw a video showing crowds of Muslims cheering in New Jersey after September 11 attacks. Hours later, his campaign issued a statement saying that Carson was actually mistaken and "he wasn't really thinking about New Jersey."

"It's not quite clear that reality matters to the electorate right now," said David Brooks, a conservative political commentator for the New York Times, on Meet the Press in September, discussing Republican candidate Carly Fiorina's sudden surge in popularity. "There are some people who are great campaigners and some people that are good in reality, and so far the good in reality people aren't doing so good in the polls."

Fiorina rose to the top of the polls after her debate performances in which she insisted she had seen a video showing Planned Parenthood doctors conducting an abortion of a live fetus in order to harvest its organs. Despite it later becoming abundantly clear that no such video existed and Fiorina was clearly lying, she was still able to hold on to her lead for several more weeks.

Of course, this is not the first election in which politicians have taken liberty with the truth — let's not forget that during the 2012 election Michele Bachmann said that the HPV vaccine caused mental retardation, despite there being zero scientific evidence to support that claim — but Domenech thinks this primary race has given the notion of "fact-checking" a whole new meaning.

"There's a difference between [2012] and the comments you see now," said Domenech, "Where there's a lack of seriousness and lack of engagement in policy." Much of the sparring between candidates in 2012 was over difference of opinions but still, relatively, grounded in facts, he added.

In other words, the leading presidential candidates in 2012 said plenty of controversial and untrue things — but no one tweeted fictional crime statistics from a Neo-Nazi Twitter account, invented fictional Civil War battles or compared women who have abortions to slaveowners.

I was just thinking last night how the last two election cycles have seen the GOP "get serious" and conduct some "soul searching" which only ended up resulting in a doubling down. If Trump or Cruz end up taking the nomination, or Trump runs third party and attracts a significant piece of the electorate, I think we may actually see the GOP go through an actual reformation. The GOP has been on the bandwagon of government doesn't work for so long that their electorate is fully in agreement despite all evidence to the contrary and yet, ironically, their leadership knows intrinsically that they need to operate within the framework of a functional government but are caught between doing this and advocating against doing this due to the state of their electorate. I think it's very possible that if this cycle doesn't pan out that we may actually get to see a shift in the establishment GOP towards the center with a platform that not only embraces functional government, but casts aside the economic policies that are currently championed for those that will actually benefit the middle class.

Or at least I'm hopeful :allears:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Evil Fluffy posted:

"He is black had a weapon" is all they need for their audience.

The cop's lawyer is, unsurprisingly, already flogging the "he legitimately feared for his life" line, which will likely have the expected traction with the depressingly large number of people who consider fear the natural and reasonable reaction of being near/hearing about people of color.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The cop's lawyer is, unsurprisingly, already flogging the "he legitimately feared for his life" line, which will likely have the expected traction with the depressingly large number of people who consider fear the natural and reasonable reaction of being near/hearing about people of color.

he was extremely terrified of black people, which is why he needs to continue in his employment as a city of chicago police officer

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the GOP won't seriously consider reform until they lose all branches of government

the GOP establishment has been pushing 'lets not be racist' for 20 years and they just get more racist every year.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Get ready for the usual voices to start screaming about this.

http://thinkprogress.org/world/2015/11/25/3725790/senator-says-white-men-more-of-a-threat-than-syrian-refugees/

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

He's not wrong (that will be ignored and the right wing will scream for his head)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Boon posted:

I've picked up on a trend in this election cycle that hadn't really been present, to the extend it is today, in previous elections. I initially chalked it up to just not remembering the full extent of previous primary cycles, but Vice has my back:
https://news.vice.com/article/its-increasingly-clear-facts-dont-matter-in-the-republican-presidential-primary?utm_source=vicenewsfb

I was just thinking last night how the last two election cycles have seen the GOP "get serious" and conduct some "soul searching" which only ended up resulting in a doubling down. If Trump or Cruz end up taking the nomination, or Trump runs third party and attracts a significant piece of the electorate, I think we may actually see the GOP go through an actual reformation. The GOP has been on the bandwagon of government doesn't work for so long that their electorate is fully in agreement despite all evidence to the contrary and yet, ironically, their leadership knows intrinsically that they need to operate within the framework of a functional government but are caught between doing this and advocating against doing this due to the state of their electorate. I think it's very possible that if this cycle doesn't pan out that we may actually get to see a shift in the establishment GOP towards the center with a platform that not only embraces functional government, but casts aside the economic policies that are currently championed for those that will actually benefit the middle class.

Or at least I'm hopeful :allears:

they realized that "soul searching" is hard and it would be easier to just double down and hope for the best. and now the establisment is relizing that they hosed up big time.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

seriously, that's what they are going with. He shot him 13 times after shooting and incapacitating him, plus he has a ton of other sociopath like complaints on his record.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they realized that "soul searching" is hard and it would be easier to just double down and hope for the best. and now the establisment is relizing that they hosed up big time.

seriously, that's what they are going with. He shot him 13 times after shooting and incapacitating him, plus he has a ton of other sociopath like complaints on his record.

Man, if cops are that terrified of being out there on the streets we should be hiring braver cops.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mcmagic posted:

Am I really a dumb rear end for thinking that cops don't go to work wanting to kill a guy for no reason? Even if they don't have any humanity, why would they want to go through the paperwork? I'm just trying to get into the mind of a cop who just comes out guns blazing and shooting a kid who doesn't appear threatening at all. The best I can come up with is some sort of mental illness or PTSD?

In 4 out of 5 cases I assume that the cops are sincere when they say they were scared and panicked. That shouldn't be a valid excuse for murdering someone and these people should either be better trained or not cops at all and this speaks to the overall training/hiring processes in play. But I'm willing to assume that cops are more often incompetent and scared then evil murderous bastards.

There's also the fact that they know the system is "supposed" to protect them. Chicago went all wrong. The cops destroyed evidence and intimidated witnesses, the prosecutor dragged out the investigation, the media stopped caring after they got stonewalled, and the family got bought off. That's supposed to make it go away. In this case one reporter actually pursued the release of the footage and it made the whole situation blow up. But every cop who panics in a situation knows that usually the whole system is rigged to cover up his mistakes and let him get away with it. If you're scared and killing the guy seems like an option to address than there's no real consequences for that choice. Which is really the heart of this problem.

Of course that doesn't eliminate the fact that some of these cops probably ARE evil bastards. Some people unquestionably get off on the power of being a police offer and I'm sure the job draws some percentage of people who secretly (or openly) harbor a desire to hurt people. And there's the general corruption issue where a cop may be tempted to break laws when an opportunity presents itself and that starts him down a path where he may have to do bigger things he justifies in the name of protecting himself/his family.

Sir Tonk posted:

The right has been obsessed with white knighting Chicago black on black violence for how long now? I swear it gets dropped every single time some pundit wants to handwave some instance of police overreach or poo poo on protestors.

The pattern of "cop kills a black guy in a clearly illegal and/or unnecessary way" has grown to the point that they kind of know they can't keep up the "few bad apples" or "nothing wrong" narrative. The videos and stories just come too frequently now. So their whole move now is to pivot and say "yeah, that's bad but really the black people are the problem and the fact that they don't protest against themselves proves that really this is all political (and secretly racist, but that's a dogwhistle so shhhh)."

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Ezra Klein: I know that Nate Silver says to not look at the polls and has a bunch of different reasons for why they don't mean very much right now ... but look at the polls!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I don't think it's quite that. They had two consecutive presidential cycles where they historically were likely to lose. An unpopular two-term president and then an incumbent. Meanwhile they had wins in state and federal legislatures. They really didn't have a reason to change.

Now, however, it's different. They might maintain their legislatures, but their established policy is proving disasterous and the policy of the chucklefucks on stage that crushing them make even less sense, if at all.

The GOP, in short, has leaders but it does not have leadership. I think that will have changed by the decade's end.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

mcmagic posted:

Siege mentality. A large portion of people get sucked up into this us vs. them mentality, a fair number of them in uniform. Some get really deeply entrenched in it and do a lot of unethical stuff to maintain the illusion.

Goes both ways. Far too many folk are convinced the cops are the bad guys anymore. And this kind of stuff doesn't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Shifty Pony posted:

By itself no, but the TN HCP has name, address, and photo which is more than enough information to be used in combination with something else under the following provisions:

There is no reason she shouldn't have been able to board the flight unless she was refusing to give any other info besides the HCP.

She boarded after showing her Congressional Voting card. She wants the handgun permit to be sufficient on its own.

• Locked thread