Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Keep talking dirty, moola is almost there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

JerryLee posted:

My main problem with the Republic/Resistance split was that the way it was pulled off seemed like it was tailor-made because they wanted a Rebellion-like organization to be in exactly the same position that the Rebellion was in at the Battle of Yavin, like they couldn't figure out (or didn't want to) spin a Resistance plot that deviated from that in any meaningful way onscreen.

Yeah sounds like they were trying to put the genie back in the bottle after the end of Jedi. I get that they wanted to make some really Star Wars-y poo poo that reminded people of the good movies, but I understand the disappointment if you were hoping that there would be some big changes to the on-screen conflict.

Captain Rufus posted:

If the HH novels were like 5-6 books to cover the important poo poo and show us how it all went down that's cool.

Even then, why not just leave well enough alone? Sometimes it's nice when there's a little bit of mystery remaining in your dumb sci-fi setting. People have imaginations and they'll probably imagine something cooler (to them) than you can write anyway.

Captain Rufus posted:

Instead it's like 30+ novels plus novellas, graphic novels, and audio dramas that's been running for 10 odd years now. That's gone far beyond milking it. I'm not even sure there is a term for that.

How about "pulling out all the stops to prop up a dying IP for as long as possible"? Forge World has been doing 30k for a while and then they did Calth so unfortunately for them I think they've hit Peak Horus.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
holy poo poo you loving nerds

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
If this thread keeps turning anti-EP7 I'm buying from GW again.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
you just want an excuse to buy those horrible naked dwarves

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
like how hard is it to stay on topic about GW being bad

Get some new reading material every month for six months with the Munitorum Supply Drop. At least £240* worth of eBooks and MP3 audios, for just £100** – and you won't know what you're getting until it arrives each month. Discover some new favourites and enjoy great fiction from Black Library.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I liked TFA. :shobon:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

fnordcircle posted:

We could talk about the new hit anime of 2016, Ojisan to Marshmallow

Davincie posted:

strong start

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Moola posted:

you just want an excuse to buy those horrible naked dwarves

I really do. i really, really do. Is this what rock-bottom feels like?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
if you want to know what rock bottom feels like

buy those dwarves and start touching

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
:siren: DO NOT BUY GW GOODS AND SERVICES !!! :siren:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

wanna see that concept art

Here you go m8 I'm in between sets right now and I am dumb enough to take a longer break just to post this. It's a good art

Chill la Chill posted:

Apparently this was concept art of TFA:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
its like a BXY-wing I love it!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I know right? (Leg extensions now so I can post while warming up :3:) so much better than the lame speeder

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

thespaceinvader posted:

It seems a little silly on the face of it but the thing they're not saying is that presumably the First Order has taken control of a decent chunk of space and the Alliance or the Rpublic or whatever isn't willing to visibly fight them.

But fortunately, they didn't see it as necessary to go into that sort of detail in the movie, having learned from the mistakes of spending any minutes at all in scenes set in the loving senate in the prequels.

Supposedly there will be some deleted scenes expounding it a little on the DVDS release. There was a scene where Leia is sending an envoy to the senate to plead with them to take the New Order seriously and then the resultant senate scene where Leia is dismissed as a crazy old warhawk.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next movie has the Republic declare war on the Resistance for provoking the First Order.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the next movie has the Republic declare war on the Resistance for provoking the First Order.

lmao that would be so contrived and idiotic.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

fnordcircle posted:

This is what we in the biz call "cutting off your nose to spite your face".

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bad Moon posted:

I straight up bought the album of the band that did that song after watching that the first time.

GW IP is best handled by anybody but GW

is it good?

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
But what if you payed $0 for the rules (AoS is free after all)? Does having to go online to download a PDF with a points system (ClashComp if you want one playtested and updated regularly by the UK tournament scene) constitute a major burden? There's even a free online army builder to go with it. That's if you want a system to balance things, which I personally like, so I use it.

I'm really enjoying AoS, more than any other tabletop game I've played in the last 30+ years, and it's making me kinda sad that such a small problem is being used as a massive stick to beat this game with.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I'm going to assemble my new Steamhead Duardin while watching a cam of The Force Awakens and getting ready to caucus for Trump.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Soulfucker posted:

Get some new reading material every month for six months with the Munitorum Supply Drop. At least £240* worth of eBooks and MP3 audios, for just £100** – and you won't know what you're getting until it arrives each month. Discover some new favourites and enjoy great fiction from Black Library.

How about the upcoming rumored release of a combined Admech book, after you spent $100 on the two separate books less than a year ago?

Or the rumors that there won't be an updated Chaos Space Marine book until 2017. There's not even a fancy new "get started" box/formation for the army.

It's like GW is actively sending the message "gently caress you, go buy something else."

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

dominion war, highlight of the series or the worst part???

highlight

Broken Loose posted:

DS9 is a loving treasure and I'll fight anybody who claims otherwise.

I am glad we agree.

I'm Mantic saying this to GW

boom boom boom posted:

I didn't watch much of DS9, because when it started it was all about the Bajorans and I just don't give a poo poo about the Bajorans.

Sup Spoonhead

And this is when I gave up on modelling

Saint Drogo posted:

i haven't seen TFA

thanks for listening guys.

same

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Even then, why not just leave well enough alone?

It's because it has Space Marines in it and for the most part, because of how they've marketed them, anyone who is still buying 40k is probably a fan of Marines.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Just how much is the anime industry paying boom boom boom to constantly shove their terrible dorkbots into this thread?

.50usd a post

Apollodorus posted:

Actually, now that I think about it: a comic about creating plastic miniatures would be way better if it were about GW and its slow death spiral into the toilet.

agreed

you are amazing

Jonny Nox posted:

It's on the official gundam.info account

https://youtu.be/MVAlkOHdNME

now it is private

Leperflesh posted:

Someone linked the Tim Tebow chronicles up in here yesterday and I read it instead of working for a few hours and it was pretty good. The beginning was especially great. The ending went off the rails a bit into poorly-thought-out science fiction land but was still satisfyingly melancholy so I liked it.

It is probably particularly good if you have some inkling of who Tim Tebow is (he is a remarkably good terrible football player), and have the standard level of American awareness of Canadian football (which is to say, you know it exists and have heard they only have three downs and that's all you know about it).

It does take a long time to load, and has to be read using that loving interface they're using, but if you can just let it pull down however many unnecessary hundreds of megs of data it's trying to shove down your browser's throat, it's OK. Don't try to read it on a phone.

here is the link again if anyone missed it.

what have you done to me

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Soulfucker posted:

Ah gently caress someone at gw HQ heard about loot crates

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

As soon as GW learns about Loot Crates, get ready for Loota Krate, which will come with (a slight chance at) a one-off limited edition figure, trial size 1oz paint cup, random Krate-exclusive Formation / Warscroll, promotional poster, an old WD, and maybe a keychain or pin of a faction nobody likes.

It'll cost $30USD / month, be guaranteed to contain (in GW prices) AT LEAST $70 VALUE! and cost them $0.37 to produce.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Herr Tog posted:

now it is private

I am a very incorrect person.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Jonny Nox posted:

I am a very incorrect person.

The Gundam Official YouTube is very GW in that they overestimate the value of their IP outside of their home nation and generally do stupid things and then wonder why the poo poo didn't work. Apparently the only reason their channel even had half of G Reconguista up for the world was an error then at halfway point they blocked most of the planet from seeing it for reasons and then I stopped giving a poo poo at even watching a bunch of weirdoes act weird at like Lucas levels of unrelatability.

The main Gundam is pretty rad looking though. ( Then another stream site had the current Gundam series which I found instantly boring and with an un relatable cypher of a main character who has a Sigmarine like level of regard for human life whilst still being kind of Autist. I don't like that main robot at all though.)

Actually Bandai/Sunrise is a lot like GW in general at not loving getting the picture and making GBS threads all over their own money factory through sheer idiocy and a lack of realizing every other market isn't their home one and thus poo poo that flew there ain't gonna fly elsewhere.

Except at least Bandai makes really rad models with tech a good 10-20 years more advanced than GW. Though for traditional styled kits Fine Molds has like stupid levels of detail. And gently caress, some of the current Snap Tite kits in US stores have as much detail as a GW kit before they went stupid. And are mostly snap fit prepaints with electronics!

Because some companies want to grow the hobby and not just expect the same aging neckbeards to prop them up forever and ever. Even FFG and Steve Jackson Games know you gotta grab the mass market and not expect everyone to go to specialty shops. Because most parents ain't going to them with their kids ever. And this kind of stuff isn't really advertised anywhere folks who aren't already a little knowledgable go.

Basically I just want a new Space Crusade goddamnit. I loving love that game.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

moths posted:

As soon as GW learns about Loot Crates, get ready for Loota Krate, which will come with (a slight chance at) a one-off limited edition figure, trial size 1oz paint cup, random Krate-exclusive Formation / Warscroll, promotional poster, an old WD, and maybe a keychain or pin of a faction nobody likes.

It'll cost $30USD / month, be guaranteed to contain (in GW prices) AT LEAST $70 VALUE! and cost them $0.37 to produce.
For it to truly be Orky, one of the options has to be something terrible for you. I suggest a chainsaw to the face.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Nah, just regular ork models will do fine.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Tyranid Starter Army.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Herr Tog posted:

is it good?

It's pretty good. 10 songs and about half of them are good and half forgettable but none overly bad.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

wdarkk posted:

Tyranid Starter Army.

1 box of warriors and a box of genestealers (plus the rippers?). Bam, full army!

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Trashcan posted:

The author of that Tebow piece, Jon Bois, is a goddamn treasure. If you haven't, check out his Breaking Madden series, and his explainer on 'what a catch is' (written in the same style as the Tebow article).

Also also too too, he has a good Twitter account.

edit: GW is bad.

and now i know breaking madden exists you have undone me

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
GW under scrutiny in the Financial Times today:

quote:

... Fantasy model games weren't so high up on Christmas lists this year it seems, as the company, which exports to countries including the US, Australia and Japan, warned sales in December were "below expectations"... As a result of the recent disappointing performance, GW is warning that full year pre-tax profit is "unlikely" to exceed £16m, which will leave it with lower profits than the previous year.

Go go, Age Of Sigmar!

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Well, they did what they could. People just don't like fantasy games, you know.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

As the saying goes. Age of Sigmar cannot fail, it can only be failed. :v:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
That does follow the broad trend of high street business reporting disappointing sales for December. The head of Marks and Spencer resigned yesterday over it.

Still, combined with their previous notice of lower sales, shows a downturn.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
True, but the rest of the boardgame hobby industry seems to be going nuts at the moment. Asmodee, driven by an investment group, announced yet more purchases and takeovers recently and new online policies that'll drive up costs. With new core sets released for both core games, GW should be showing an increase in sales (though probably decrease in profit)

:eng99: clearly the problem lies in the high street shops. Get rid of them and GW can fall back on their £4m website plus... err.. maybe some sales via... all the other online options? Oh dear

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The Supreme Court posted:

True, but the rest of the boardgame hobby industry seems to be going nuts at the moment. Asmodee, driven by an investment group, announced yet more purchases and takeovers recently and new online policies that'll drive up costs. With new core sets released for both core games, GW should be showing an increase in sales (though probably decrease in profit)

:eng99: clearly the problem lies in the high street shops. Get rid of them and GW can fall back on their £4m website plus... err.. maybe some sales via... all the other online options? Oh dear

Come on Asmodee, buy GW. Then give the IPs to FFG.

• Locked thread