Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'll get better

-MoMA

MaMMAl is learning, guys. See, he'll get better, his posting is just in pre-alpha right now :gary:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Pebergehund posted:

I have been out of the SC loop for a while, have Croberts saved PC gaming yet?

Two Weeks.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Chris Roberts April 23rd 2013

quote:

Roberts is optimistic for the game industry as a whole. "I think the console business will be healthy for quite a while, I think the PC business, the tablet business, the mobile business, they'll all be healthy," Roberts said. "I think there's money to be made in all of them. I just like the PC business because there aren't a lot of people competing there."

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I'm trying to imagine designing and building an industrial facility with a 100 million dollar budget with no planning and flying entirely by the seat of one's pants

it's not a nice thought

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

VealCutlet posted:

MoMA - what did you think of EightAces latest post?

I don't have an opinion. 4 weeks: I'll just wait and see.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jason Sextro posted:

I'm trying to imagine designing and building an industrial facility with a 100 million dollar budget with no planning and flying entirely by the seat of one's pants

it's not a nice thought

Just get a really good concept artist to start with, friend.

And then maybe the best saleswoman on the planet of earth who always has been ever since she was a little girl.

Then you'll have a budget of $$∞ billion

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Beet Wagon posted:

That many billions can't be good for the economy, especially not the dollar-dollar one. Maybe that's why SC doesn't have an economy.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

They canned the Reliant commercial, a stretch goal, because its "all on hands on deck" for SQ42.

...but here's a Starfarer commercial b/c reasons

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

D_Smart posted:

No comment.

:captainpop:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Reminder.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
In today's war crimes update, we took out two of the biggest Shitizens, @WhitenightNL and @gawkd1 off Twitter. That's a total of six now. Several to go.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/712775715826057216

Legal is working on nuking their /r/Derek Smart/ hate-Red since it has already gone way past violating several of Reddit's own ToS. More as that develops.

Hey you assholes parked on that Sub-Red harassing me, I'm coming for you. Start planning where you will move to.

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

In today's war crimes update, we took out two of the biggest Shitizens, @WhitenightNL and @gawkd1 off Twitter. That's a total of six now. Several to go.

Legal is working on nuking their /r/Derek Smart/ hate-Red since it has already gone way past violating several of Reddit's own ToS. More as that develops.

Hey you assholes park on that Sub-Red, I'm coming for you.

:vince:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tippis posted:

That many billions can't be good for the economy, especially not the dollar-dollar one. Maybe that's why SC doesn't have an economy.

That's the secret - if you never build an economy, the economy can never crash

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

Just get a really good concept artist to start with, friend.

And then maybe the best saleswoman on the planet of earth who always has been ever since she was a little girl.

how many bitcoins would that make? Now you have me interested

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

D_Smart posted:

Hey you assholes parked on that Sub-Red harassing me, I'm coming for you. Start planning where you will move to.

lol I literally reported Whiteknight for harassment earlier today

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dear Diary,

Today was a good day. Today I got two guys kicked off Twitter. It was hard but it's a big accompleshment. I feel like I can do anything now, even beat my friend Chris at arm wrestling. Okay, time for bed, write more tomorrow!

Signed,
Lil' Derek

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Beet Wagon posted:

That's the secret - if you never build an economy, the economy can never crash

CRobber's visionary genius is once again revealed.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I dunno. EightAce is awesome, but he's got some real quirks in his writing that I'd usually explain with dyslexia

Some of it is so odd though that I half suspect he's consciously doing it, like him always writing "Stimporer" and such

I'm a supporter of any conspiracy theories you guys think up so go ahead

Yes. They're actively trying to identify him. They never will. Like ever.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

:gary:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

They made a topic about the guy being suspended but reddit is hosed so the comments don't show up :(

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Good news folks, latest patch is only 16GB.

I was poking around in the .pak files today. Man they have a lot junk and cruft in those.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Reminder.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I hope before this thing explodes we get more lore about Barktona

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

It sometimes feels like I'm doing that here, D1E!

Honestly, I can't help but think this story is best told as a documentary. It's one thing to read about botched year end live-streams, jank player animations, endless credential embellishments, on camera eye-rolling, Peter Gabriel parody videos, hilarious Derek Smart moments of scene-chewing monologuing and all of that--- but to hear and see it unfolding, it's just hold-your-sides laughing funny "I can not believe this stuff ACTUALLY HAPPENED!" cinema. It would be funny even if it was only $10m raised but $110M+ is A Story Of Our Times. Yet it's infuriating and tragic, too-- for reasons we know too well. So it has all the requisite ingredients for a fantastic documentary-- even if you didn't get participation from CIG players.

A book could never be half as fun or funny. Plus, the gaming press (or business press) when they DO finally, finally pull their heads out, nut up and actually start telling this story are going to feast on it for months. It will get skinned, gutted, and sold for meat for ages, so that might dampen demand for 3rd party accounts. (There's much they'll miss of course, because they're lazy, incurious and will focus only on the obvious but hey, that's what they get paid for!)

This is however why an SA compendium would be a gem-- I know I can't stop reading it. I think a chronological compendium of the best posts of the SA Star Citizen threads (going back to thread 1) would be an incredible book-- better in some ways that a straightforward narrative account. It would be an editing nightmare but drat, what a way to give readers a realtime picture of the rise and fall. (Derek's eventual arrival on the scene and eventually into the thread itself is STILL AMAZING to me sometimes-- yet it's just one bizarro plot twist in a story that never stops serving them up.)

Derek's blog posts and other outside material would of course be needed too but I can't imagine any book providing more laughs while also serving the useful historic purpose of depicting the story arc of Star Citizen.

Still, the world needs a documentary of this. And not the one CIG is wrapping up.

Don't worry. It will happen. I know things :)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jason Sextro posted:

how many bitcoins would that make? Now you have me interested

Well as you may or may not know, one of the benefits bitcoin has over fiat currency is that it's not tied to any sort of limited production method. In this way, runaway inflation doesn't harm bitcoin like it does traditional money, because bitcoin IS inflation. So I'd say you could probably have as many bitcoins as there ever were and ever will be.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

How is it Chris is so much worse at speaking now than he was in 2013?

Cortical neurons don't regenerate.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:five: :five: :five:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

What's Space Sims?
Is that like a mod for Sims 4?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

hakimashou posted:

Chris Roberts is famous even in ukraine!

There's a game called Naval Action where you sail around sailboats and fight, its pretty good, devs are ukrainians.

Some spergs on their forum were complaining about a change in the last patch, and one of them asked the dev if he even played the game, dev put a screenshot of his like 1,700 hours in it he has on steam:

aw snap

:iceburn:

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Hey what page is EightAce's new post on?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Jason Sextro posted:

I hope before this thing explodes we get more lore about Barktona

Sadly no new Barktona stuff.

But there is a dude writing fictional Yelp reviews of space restaurants.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

natetimm posted:

Hey what page is EightAce's new post on?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=2534&perpage=40#post457776045

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sadly no new Barktona stuff.

But there is a dude writing fictional Yelp reviews of space restaurants.

I want a Barktona/Stimpire crossover.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

gently caress meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

this fuckin' thread :psyduck:

How can you people keep doing it day after day? I love you guys.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

D_Smart posted:

:gary: :yarg:

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I dunno. EightAce is awesome, but he's got some real quirks in his writing that I'd usually explain with dyslexia

Some of it is so odd though that I half suspect he's consciously doing it, like him always writing "Stimporer" and such

I'm a supporter of any conspiracy theories you guys think up so go ahead

i thought it was because of chris' huge pores

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Quick! Someone make me a meme for my social media feed:

"Several years from now when you are surrounded by your cats, meds, and teeth in a glass,
and they ask you what did you do during the second greatest gaming battle between Derek Smart & Chris Roberts,
you can look them in the eye and say:

I helped prove that Derek Smart was right about Star Citizen"

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i wonder if gary parpman is the A lister mad about this being a clusterfuck

or if its Mark Hamill the big time star wars actor

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

such a great thing

another great thing is something you should read: The Silo Series by Hugh Howey

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silo_(series)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Yesterday wasn't a fluke, sale is poor, they'll be hoping to pick up at the weekend, maybe push something special on Friday to generate buzz.

• Locked thread