Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah the only 6mm game I've actually found people to play f2f was HoTT which did not grab me for whatever reason.

That was years ago and I've never played stuff like pride of lions or w/e

I really wish that Kings of War used 100x50 as its standard troop size because then I'd have the appropriate bases to at least try Warband. That looked fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

NTRabbit posted:

Depends what alignment you need them to have for an allied unit - as evil, they easily sub for Scavengers, Gargoyles or Tortured Souls. For neutral, Harpies or Giant Eagles. For good, they're clearly Elohi made from monkeys that touched a strange black obelisk.

Gargoyles and Harpies is a good idea, yeah. They'd blend well with my Undead or Goblins with some added witches for leadership.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Post from a Mantic group (not mine)

quote:

This Does Not Work: A Reflection on the Warpath Beta After Three Games
I am committed to Warpath being great, and to help make it great. As it currently stands, I think the game is the opposite of great, and that is does not really work as a game. Successful combat games have opportunities for advantage, and ways to counter those advantages. Napoleonic warfare perhaps epitomizes this in the advantages that Infantry, Artillery, and Cavalry each afford a commander, yet they also have weaknesses, this yields a nice paper/rock/scissors relationship. In other theaters combat, more units types result in a paper/rock/scissors/lizard/spock relationship and this is great too. I’ll speak about two successful Mantic Games, and how they work, Kings of War, and Deadzone 2nd Edition.
Kings of War succeeds in this paper/rock/scissors relationship well, each unit has a way it can be powerful, and has ways its weakness can be exploited. Deadzone succeeds in this very well also. Armor helps protect units, but one can use armor piercing weapons to negate this. If one plays lots of Armor piercing one can oppose this with Tough units, or with a large number of units with no armor which means the player using lots of AP us spending their points on nothing. Shooting in general is powerful, but in the game there’s enough cover, and units are generally defensible enough that they can get into close combat and wreak havoc.
Kings of War and Deadzone also each offer clear advantages to strive for. In Kings of War, one wants to flank their enemy, this results in rolling more dice of course. Also, single units in Kings of War are not generally able to destroy an opposing unit. Usually one must create a two-on-one situation to destroy an opposing unit. Again, this is a clear situation to try to create, and for the opponent to try to avoid. In Deadzone, one want to get clear shots in shooting, and get two-on-one close combat situations, or get big model against small model situations. Also the very statistics of a unit provides advantageous and disadvantageous situations. If I have a great shooter, I want him at a distance, and shooting down your low survive model. That great shooter probably has a poor fight value, and the opponent wants to get their good fight model in the same cube as that good shooter.
Models and units in Deadzone and Kings of War are also resilient enough that they can live to complete objectives. These games succeed in being about more than just destroying the opponent’s forces. In Warpath, units have such capacity for destruction that objectives are meaningless. Or if I have manages to hold an objective, it’s only a win-more situation.
In Warpath, there units who destroy other units with ease, Stormrage veterans, big tanks that roll lots of dice with high AP, and there are units not really capable of destroying units, Forge Guard, Steel Warriors, basically any unit that only rolls four dice (and that doesn’t have blast.) This is all to say there is a huge disparity between units that actually destroy other units, and units who pretty much fail at everything. In Deadzone and Kings of War, “weaker” units can be maneuvered to creat a situation where they are strong. This doesn’t happen in Warpath. Weaker units are just weak, and strong units and just strong. There’s no real way to create an advantage in Warpath. It helps for a unit to be in cover, but this doesn’t really help that unit survive. There’s so much AP in Warpath right now that my rolls to would are usually on a 2+. Close combat units have no chance of getting to the enemy without being destroyed.
My first Warpath game was Asterians vs. Forge Fathers. The Asterian objective was to live until turn 6 and then infiltrate of the sides of the board. To start, my high dice, high AP units destroyed some Forge Fathers units, and the Forge Fathers units then destroyed my units with high AP and good dice. Neither of us moved our forces very much, almost no maneuvering was needed. (And we DID have lots of terrain on the board!) By the end of turn two, I lost most of my forces, and the units I had left did not have enough AP to destroy Forge Father Tanks or Iron Ancestors. I conceded.
My second game of Warpath featured Astarians vs GCPS, in a take back the city scenario. My big Asterian Tanks immediately destroyed my opponents troop transport, I used a refresh order to let it attack again. My missle lauchers and shoot value of 2+ annihilated my opponents forces. I moved very little, I hardly made choices, I pretty much destroyed things and by the end of turn two, the advantage clearly mine, and we ended the game.
My third game was Forge Fathers vs. GCPS, and in this game, my opponent, Tyler, and I elected to use all infantry and/or bike style units. I wondered if the vehicles were the thing that was unbalanced and that by using all infantry the game would be balanced interesting and fun. The hypothesis was false. The same sorts of power differential came up in this game, that is the disparity between units who destroy other units, and units who are just weak. There was one instance of my Borkkr units charging into a building to destroy the enemy and take the building. Otherwise to Close combat happened. Again shooting is all-powerful. Stormrage veterans destroy things. My artillery units rolling 10dice 3ap destroy things Valkyrs destroy things. Meanwhile, Steel Warriors and Forge Guard pretty much failed at everything. The Forge Guard were hard to my opponent to kill, in but their measly four dice did not destroy enemy units, and were they to move out of cover to try and engage in close combat, they would never make it to the enemy before being destroyed.
In none of these games did I see clever play result in winning. No one needed to maneuver to create advantageous situations to win and destroy the enemy. Powerful units just destroy other units. The all or nothing result of casualties (because only whole teams are destroyed) only furthers the disparity between power levels of units. Once some casualties are taken, and one is left with some single teams, there’s really no way for these units to be effective at anything. They don’t roll enough dice to destroy another unit with a shoot action, they will never survive marching into close combat, and there aren’t enough command dice to give combined fire orders to coordinate these small teams with each other. If I have units on the board, there should be SOME way I can use them to my advantage. And currently in Warpath, this just can’t happen.
I ask the game designers and developers to really look at what makes the successful Mantic Games successful. Maneuvering forces needs to matter. One needs to create advantageous situations to win and to defeat enemy forces. Units that are strong on one way, need to have a weakness that can be exploited. Close combat needs to actually be able to happen, and be a viable strategy on its own (The Plague!). I urge the designers and developers to take time, and get Warpath both working and right. Currently, I don’t see it working, it isn’t fun because my decisions don’t matter, it feels like arbitrary destruction of units, and again the objective don’t matter because it’s so easy to destroy units.
Please contact me if you would like more clarity on any of the points that I have made. I want Warpath to be amazing. I’ve been looking for an alternative to WH:40k that has less expensive models and a single rulebook. Warpath is trying to be the game I want it to be, but right now, it’s not succeeding.

I'm just not seeing a lot of good stuff out about Warpath and that sort of bums me out because Warpath offers Mantic a really great opportunity to draw in from a huge pool of gamers with existing GW armies but it feels like Warpath is really just an afterthought for them. A half-baked afterthought.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I thought the afterthought was Firefight. That sounded like they were talking about Warpath proper.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
That should tell you how much of an afterthought Firefight is.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
So I've sat down to paint my salamanders and I've run into the thing I hate most about Mantic plastics. There are large chunks of the model where I just don't know what I'm looking at. Is that a chain of skulls? A bed roll? Scales coming off at an entirely different angle than the rest of the body?

I kind of wish these were as simple in design as the 1996 Sauruses.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
No you don't

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Why not? I just painted up 28 of them. No ambiguous regions where different textures run into each other. No details lost to the casting process. Very few suddenly completely flat surfaces. I could assembly line paint those without issue.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I remember them from the Warhammer 5th edition starter box and they loving sucked and were boring

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

fnordcircle posted:

Post from a Mantic group (not mine)

Sounds like they recreated the feel of 40k pretty well!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Maybe I can just play some very very large games of deadzone.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Captain Invictus posted:

I remember them from the Warhammer 5th edition starter box and they loving sucked and were boring

It's a trade-off. I can put two dozen of them together in an hour and then twice that to paint them. Their poses are boring, but they're easy to paint and I don't need them to be super interesting because they're my rank and file.

Here's what I'm working with in my Salamanders army.

These are what my classic Saurus look like. I think one of the problems people have with them is that the GW studio painters at the time went with a super boring color scheme. They're lizards so they have to be green right? GW got a bit better with the later generation and just made everything, Saurus and Skink alike, various shades of blue. In comparison, my army is loving blinding. As you can see, even the classic Saurus can look great with the right color scheme. I fully acknowledge that I'm not an amazing painter, but it's hard to argue with these results.

This is the classic Slann palanquin being carried by Saurus Temple Guard. They're basically just more elaborate versions of the plastic Saurus from that era with skull hats. Still, they're pretty alright looking with the right paint scheme.

I wanted to include some Ceremonial Guard in my Salamanders army for Phalanx, but the actual GW models were too expensive. I got these modern Saurus second hand and they have options for spears there's no real difference to them and Temple Guard except for the lack of skull hats. While these models are way more dynamic, they rank like a bitch and all the extra bits and bobs on them mean they take forever to paint. Yes, I think they're the best looking unit in my army, but it took about two weeks to get through 16 of them.

Last we come to the Mantic model. It's still a work in progress, but you can kind of see what I'm getting at.

The photos aren't great, so my apologies on that. The detail all sort of runs together. His teeth are indistinguishable from the texture on his face. There's no clear indication where the hard scales on his hands stop and his soft finger skin starts. The feet have the same issue. I just had to arbitrarily decide that the hard scales were finished and the textured soft skin had started. On the back, the metal ring holding his straps on is a shallow bump that can easily vanish into the contours of the scales (why does he need leather daddy straps? he's not wearing armor). And another obvious thing is that the bottom tip of the ax head just melts into the arm. They're admittedly faster to paint than the modern GW Saurus because they lack so many extra doodads hanging off them, but I'd prefer cleaner lines in exchange for slightly less detail. Because when I have 20 of them ranked up, it's not going to matter all that much.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 21, 2016

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Fwiw, those saurus and that colour scheme are rad as hell

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

LordAba posted:

Too old for this poo poo.

Two weeks away from retirement.

Hey LordAba, did you ever receive this mini? And do you know if it was just a one off for you, or will they make it available for everyone to buy?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Sunber posted:

Fwiw, those saurus and that colour scheme are rad as hell

Thanks! They've been super slow to paint to get the colors as bright as I want them. I've got 15 more Salamanders to go and I'll be able to put the army aside... for now. I'll probably stick to grabbing the odd monster here or there and when Bones releases the lizardmen with spears in the near future I might make another unit of Ghekkotah Warriors.

In the photo of their backs, look at the guy one from the right. There's zero distinction on the side of his leg where the hard scales start or stop. I just picked a point and stopped painting blue there.

Overall, I'm not sue how I feel about the color scheme on these guys. I think the GW saurus have the advantage that the blue scales are limited to their backs and heads whereas these are blue all over. They're almost too blue. Oh well, I'm committed now.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Atlas Hugged posted:

Overall, I'm not sue how I feel about the color scheme on these guys. I think the GW saurus have the advantage that the blue scales are limited to their backs and heads whereas these are blue all over. They're almost too blue. Oh well, I'm committed now.

You could always portray it as armour instead of scales? I'm not sure how well it would work in practice but it would tone down the amount of blue they have

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Sunber posted:

You could always portray it as armour instead of scales? I'm not sure how well it would work in practice but it would tone down the amount of blue they have

Maybe in theory but the scales are too spiky and ridged to pull it off, plus there aren't straps holding them on so they'd look like they were floating. I can't really strip just the scales, so I'd risk sacrificing detail painting over them and unfortunately I can't hide these five in the rest of the unit. Each guy is glued to his base and tagged to let the unit fit together. No other arrangement would work. I think I'm stuck with them as is.

When they're on the table next to my other lizards they look fine so I'll stick with it for this unit at least.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I think they look fine tbh

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Everyone at my games club has dismissed Mantic's models as terrible and I think they look fine. The biggest LoW player there has both Mantic dwarf and undead armies, but everyone else uses Games Workshop armies they've rescued from the Sigmaring.

Speaking of which I bought some of Warlord Game's Thirty Years War infantry to make a Kingdoms of Men army. Gonna tercio the poo poo out of those undead.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Deleter posted:

Everyone at my games club has dismissed Mantic's models as terrible and I think they look fine.
lol are they high

Mantic's stuff lately has been looking outstanding. The Forge Fathers are some of my favorites and pull off "Space Dwarves" a lot better than any other attempts, but Enforcers are fantastic as well. Asterians aren't my jam but I can see folks liking them, etc etc

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
They're right, Mantic's stuff is hideous.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Well I mean one guy turned his Lizardmen into the KoW equivalent and it's hard to argue with him because Lizardmen own. Mantic's undead beat GW's for sure and yeah the Deadzone stuff looks great. It's not an argument we're super invested in anyways.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

sassassin posted:

They're right, Mantic's stuff is hideous.

Come on, you can do better than that.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Not a viking posted:

Come on, you can do better than that.

I have no real modelling experience but maybe? Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Keep the trolling in the death thread or the sad thread please thanks

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
:siren: DO NOT ENGAGE WITH SASSASSIN :siren:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Those lizards up page are ugly as sin despite the tidy paint job, with the painter himself complaining about the poor quality of detailing. I am no troll.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Are there any good multibasing tutorials? The OP doesn't have them and I'm coming off my break shortly so I can't look any up for a while.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Deleter posted:

Everyone at my games club has dismissed Mantic's models as terrible and I think they look fine.

They're basically complaining that this Mac & Cheese isn't orange enough to be real Kraft brand Mac & Cheese, their favorite food product because it's all they'll eat.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Some stuff they do is good. Some stuff they do is ugly. In conclusion Libya is a land of contrast.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

moths posted:

They're basically complaining that this Mac & Cheese isn't orange enough to be real Kraft brand Mac & Cheese, their favorite food product because it's all they'll eat.

Mantic's models look even worse when you compare them to a wider range of modelling companies, though?

They might look remotely decent if your only other exposure to model is GW's monkey-armed back catalogue.

Mantic's mac and cheese is an acceptable replacement for GW's. But no one should be eating this poo poo.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The new Mantic Bone Daddies looking good - http://www.beastsofwar.com/kings-of-war/exclusive-empire-dust-mantic-games/

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Please shut up and/or go away.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

they need to do a full hard plastic skelly archers kit imo

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Captain Invictus posted:

lol are they high

Mantic's stuff lately has been looking outstanding. The Forge Fathers are some of my favorites and pull off "Space Dwarves" a lot better than any other attempts, but Enforcers are fantastic as well. Asterians aren't my jam but I can see folks liking them, etc etc

I really like Asterians and I'm eager for the new plastic troops from Warpath - to use for Deadzone, though. The mass-battle scifi game around here is all 30k.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Warpath has been split into two waves. Apparently the Chinese hosed up.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Atlas Hugged posted:

Warpath has been split into two waves. Apparently the Chinese hosed up.

But hey, they'll take advantage of this to reopen the pledge manager and sell you more stuff!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

They're also using the opportunity to push finalising the rules back; everyone gets a PDF in wave 1, and then they have extra time to make sure it isn't hosed up, and avoid all the publishing mistakes that drive Leperflesh crazy.

e: Wait no, they didn't say that, but everyone in the comments is imploring them to do it

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 23, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

thegodofchuck posted:

But hey, they'll take advantage of this to make a new kickstarter campaign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The GCPS Mule is also being changed from resin to hard plastic due to high demand, so there's that going for it. the Plague upgrade bits may be on the sprue, or may stay as resin upgrade bits, they haven't decided