Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
im pretty sure georgia is evacuating the coast just because the state/local governments are still catching a lot of mockery for loving up the 2014 snowstorm. ever since then the governor's office has been in panic mode with regards to hazardous weather

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

canepazzo posted:

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeed/status/784135153987846145

Perfection.

E: please wordfilter Ted Cruz to Demogorgon

holy loving lmao

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

WampaLord posted:

Are you saying the posting of one thread on a dying comedy forum is that important to our national discourse?

No, I was saying that asking the far-right to show restraint on a potentially-political topic is a fool's errand that will only harm your own ability to get your message out. Staying silent about the hurricane will do nobody any good.

I wasn't specifically talking about this thread or SA, just the general concept of dialogue.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I live on the west coast in Canada but my co-workers parents live in Florida is she is stressing out. I feel that this qualifies me to say that Drudge should put his money where his mouth is and he should start taking up surfing lessons off the Florida coast today.

Antti posted:

I suggest Drudge does some on-location reporting and goes to Florida in person to make sure the hurricane's not that bad.

This works too, especially if he starts that reporting from the beachfront.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Gort posted:

No, I was saying that asking the far-right to show restraint on a potentially-political topic is a fool's errand that will only harm your own ability to get your message out. Staying silent about the hurricane will do nobody any good.

I wasn't specifically talking about this thread or SA, just the general concept of dialogue.

I'm pretty sure everybody else was specifically talking about this thread.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

lozzle posted:

Not likely. The first amendment is a powerful thing, for better or worse.

I mean, you can face criminal liability for telling someone to do something that foreseeably results in them being harmed. The problem here would probably be linking Drudge's posts with somebody's decision not to evacuate

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pierson is the kind of person who'd be talking loudly about how awesome everything is the day after the Trump administration reinstates slavery of non-whites and she's being slapped in irons.

Night10194 posted:

Have you noticed Trump is kind of stupid.

So are tens of millions of voters.

Doctor Butts posted:

Assuming even Florida makes any halfway decent efforts to capture the vote in (what I believe to be) heavily blue areas.

There's been a massive GOTV and registration drive in Florida for Dems so far this election season.

Does he live in Florida? Because I'd be 100% ok with Drudge sitting in his home in the middle of the storm's path and letting nature roll the dice on him and his stupid bullshit.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

jesus what broke Drudge

President Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

lozzle posted:

Yeah, I was just talking about this thread. In a "can we not be dicks to the people in Florida/have family in Florida in this thread" way.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

I mean, you can face criminal liability for telling someone to do something that foreseeably results in them being harmed. The problem here would probably be linking Drudge's posts with somebody's decision not to evacuate

He's not saying "go stand out in the hurricane, you'll be totally fine!" It's very carefully couched in "well maybe the government is LYING about the hurricane! It's a CONSPIRACY!" which would likely be protected even if it is ridiculous and dangerous.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The election isn't for a month, what does Drudge get out of inverse 'Chicken Little'ing?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Moatman posted:

Can he be arrested (or at least sued) if someone dies after not evaccing because of his tweets?

Maybe in some sort of alternate reality modern day Nazi Germany or something.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

ocrumsprug posted:

The election isn't for a month, what does Drudge get out of inverse 'Chicken Little'ing?

A smug sense of superority and the ability to feed his paranoid delusions.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I am personally hopeful that Killary's neo-Stazi rounds up people like Drudge and we never hear from them again. :shrug:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Of all the hills to die on why the gently caress is Drudge choosing a conspiracy regarding a hurricane?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Of all the hills to die on why the gently caress is Drudge choosing a conspiracy regarding a hurricane?

Because if he's right (unlikely) he can build it into a narrative of "See, Obama is trying to SCARE you with FALSEHOODS (and Trump isn't really scary)" and if he's wrong nobody will call him on it

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I am pretty ok with it.

If the hurricane misses and it isn't so bad we all, Drudge included, get to feel pretty good about it. If not, then we all get to feel bad.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

At one time, he could have been the champion of the world

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

and if he's wrong nobody will call him on it

He's being called out on it right now, but only us Twitter-following losers are paying any attention.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

lozzle posted:

Oh. Carry on, then.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

exploding mummy posted:

At one time, he could have been the champion of the world

but this time HE's the one blaming the authorities

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
i think the real question is why he only has 4 tweets

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What is particularly galling is that he is calling it out while it is still loving happening. This is like someone saying the Twin Towers didn't fall down on 12 September 2011.

As far liability, I put Drudge up there with idiots who say vaccines cause autism in spreading harmful and damaging misinformation.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

General Motors former CEO endorses Hillary

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I'm here in Ireland and I'm with Drudge.
Unless I see actual poor people houses torn to shreds by idiot local journalists, this hurricane is a muslim false flag Obama and Hillary conspiracy!

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

:dukedog:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

ocrumsprug posted:

People talking about him.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Of all the hills to die on

He's going to be dying to Hills a lot in the next few years.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

As somebody in the path of the hurricane I can only hope moron campaigns remove all the political signs (they're loving everywhere, holy poo poo). Cause the prospect of somebody being impaled by a flying TRUMP PENCE sign is just too much.

This is no joke, those stupid signs are going to go flying and act as missiles.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

so we're at the literal loving point where we're unskewing the weather

It's more that Drudge/Limbaugh/Alex Jones are approaching cult figure status in that people literally believe only them and that the rest of the media is maliciously lying 24/7.

awesmoe posted:

i think the real question is why he only has 4 tweets

He constantly deletes his old tweets, probably to avoid having a disprovable paper trail.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Rhesus Pieces posted:

He constantly deletes his old tweets, probably to avoid having a disprovable paper trail.

I love the authentic crazies

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.
This link says the op-ed is in the Washington Post, but I can't find it on their site. No link in the post itself either.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ImpAtom posted:

Because if he's right (unlikely) he can build it into a narrative of "See, Obama is trying to SCARE you with FALSEHOODS (and Trump isn't really scary)" and if he's wrong nobody will call him on it

But that "unlikely" is so unlikely that there is no way the risk/reward works out.

I mean even the true nutters that think chemtrails and crisis actors are things would say that the government caused the hurricane using HAARP or something. They wouldn't deny that it existed in the first place.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

awesmoe posted:

I love the authentic crazies

Honestly I'm shocked Trump hasn't cleared out his Twitter history yet, it's been nothing but a liability to him the whole campaign.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

It's not really campaign focused but if you like intersectionality boy do I have the W. Kamau Bell podcast for you: Politically Reactive

Hoo boy, I love this one, but the latest episode (with Green Party candidate/rapper Rosa Clemente) is pretty infuriating, if you think voting 3rd party is a bad idea.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

ZobarStyl posted:

This link says the op-ed is in the Washington Post, but I can't find it on their site. No link in the post itself either.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...m=.069b86b74389

It exists, it's just ancient. :shrug:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

It's good for Hillary and everything but what the gently caress man, Obama saved the whole US Auto industry through sheer political will and this motherfucker backed Mitt, who would have gladly let Detroit burn in Hell.

Remember: after this election, "reasonable Republicans" will still be powerful garbage.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

What motivates someone to be a hurricane truther?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pakled posted:

What motivates someone to be a hurricane truther?

He's a bad egg

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GalacticAcid posted:

Remember: after this election, "reasonable Republicans" will still be powerful garbage.

I'm hoping Clinton reminds voters of that between now and November, because her strategy should be to get out the base and trash the GOP as a whole. Downticket gains need to be a priority.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

This is cool and all but

quote:

“And I have always voted for Republicans for president. Not this year.”

I look forward to the day when uttering this causes people to be taken aback. You voted for Nixon, Goldwater, Reagan, both Bushes...and you're proud of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

Hoo boy, I love this one, but the latest episode (with Green Party candidate/rapper Rosa Clemente) is pretty infuriating, if you think voting 3rd party is a bad idea.

Yeah it's the one podcast I don't auto-subscribe to. I always check who their guest is and decide if it's something I want to listen to. Sometimes because it's like this, other times because it's too depressing and I have to kind of ration that in my media diet these days.

• Locked thread