Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Phone posted:

I want to call into his show and ask if he can remember the model of plane he was on when he got popped with having boner pills in a bottle with someone else's name on it.

OF COURSE I DO. IT WAS HUGE AND LUXURIOUS AND I MADE SOMEONE ELSE PAY FOR IT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
i like the fact that the GOP can no longer legitimately claim to be the party of family values after Igrab Cuntra. Family values? well lets talk about Igrab Cuntra, sir.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
This is from yesterday, but still interesting (but not surprising).

https://twitter.com/anniekarni/status/786706815606284288

Did I get the tweet embed right?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Someone's burn on Twitter about Paul Ryan:

mauricio wokettino ‏@ranchandsyrup

@Philip_Elliott lmao he's a zombie eyed granny starver. gently caress that guy and you

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Also how do I change it so tweets automatically display?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This might be the sleeper nominee for new favorite Trump nonsense quote:

she's transobama

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost

Lastgirl posted:

A Sexmonster Slayer gangtag is being worked on currently, but you can only get it if

you go here and donate.

I didn't see her speech at the RNC. I hate her and I avoided the RNC, it sounds like I made a wise choice.

Few pages back but I donated because gently caress Trump.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

gently caress Ryan for trying to pretend that Trump isn't perfectly representative of their party. The only problem you guys had was that he didn't dog whistle enough.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Also how do I change it so tweets automatically display?

Wrap the full url in the {url}{/url} brackets (use brackets). It won't show right in preview, but will in the post.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Agrajag posted:

i like the fact that the GOP can no longer legitimately claim to be the party of family values after Igrab Cuntra. Family values? well lets talk about Igrab Cuntra, sir.

well Reagan got away with being the national security president while selling guns to Iran, we just live in a time where they get called on that poo poo

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Crow Jane posted:

He's destroying the GOP and making a complete laughing stock of himself that people (excepting his hardcore base) won't touch with a ten foot pole. I like to think that a hundred years from now, his name will be synonymous with abject failure but it'll be just another idiom that no one quite understands. Like, "wow, you really trumped that up" or "he got so drunk he made a total trump of himself at that party and now everyone hates him". Who he actually was will be forgotten except maybe as a cautionary tale.

Dave Barry once remarked that "Trump" sounds like it'd be something ill livestock do. As in "Git back Earl, she's fittin' to trump!"

I guess the British beat him to it though.

Lamb Chowder
Oct 5, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Tom Guycot posted:

You know, this brings up something else. What do you honestly do when ~40% of your population believes in conspiracies? Not just right slanted media or something, but outright, flat "this president is a gay terrorist lizzard, who's the antichrist and is plotting to destroy America with chemtrails!"

How the gently caress do you ever turn that around? Come back to normal? What the gently caress is going to happen as that keeps getting more and more ingrained? Just wait for them to die? Well that might work except all you have to do is look at the alt-right to see how that poo poo isn't falling off with a younger generation.

The ascent of social media with all the exposure to new and discomforting ideas as well as the inability to distinguish sincerity from trolling amongst all the base conduct on the internet, 9/11 and radical Islamic terrorism, the denial and rescinding of tentatively promised opportunity thanks to structural changes caused by the Great Recession, the rise of China, exploiting fears about the national debt and foretold disappearance of Social Security, the apparent multiplication of podcasts an talk radio, new Atheism and fundamentalism gaining broad media attention leading to a snider discourse, the election of a black President (a national trauma), the dual rejection of Mr. American Dream Mitt Romney/Trump (a reminder of that trauma), excessive digital immersion which partially lead to the decline of communal social interaction, police brutality and renewed racism, even the rising rates of autism, media scares about all these new diseases and more erratic weather -all of this stuff happened in less than two decades.

It was a rather perfect storm of change that challenged the ability of people's latent ability to adapt. I remember growing up with severe depression and being relegated to spending a lot of time on the internet. The horrible way people act online combined with painful experiences with roommates at college lead me to become incredibly fearful and anxious about almost all other people for some years. I've overcome a lot of it, but the anchors of tradition, community and expectations that allow people to feel confident about their decisions, that was ripped out violently by technological progress and information overload. I think in the future things will be far more settled for several decades until the next major traumas.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Alan Smithee posted:

well Reagan got away with being the national security president while selling guns to Iran, we just live in a time where they get called on that poo poo

Its much quicker for people on the fly to pull up clips of people contradicting themselves. All people who endorsed or defended Trump have thrown that argument out the door for a while. They'll still use it, I have no doubt about it, but at least they'll be called out.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Paul Ryan and his ilk are way more dangerous than Trump.

If I have to deal with a racist, I'd rather deal with the loud shouty one than the conniving and surreptitious one.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/786988245380898816
:getin:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Lamb Chowder posted:

The ascent of social media with all the exposure to new and discomforting ideas as well as the inability to distinguish sincerity from trolling amongst all the base conduct on the internet, 9/11 and radical Islamic terrorism, the denial and rescinding of tentatively promised opportunity thanks to structural changes caused by the Great Recession, the rise of China, exploiting fears about the national debt and foretold disappearance of Social Security, the apparent multiplication of podcasts an talk radio, new Atheism and fundamentalism gaining broad media attention leading to a snider discourse, the election of a black President (a national trauma), the dual rejection of Mr. American Dream Mitt Romney/Trump (a reminder of that trauma), excessive digital immersion which partially lead to the decline of communal social interaction, police brutality and renewed racism, even the rising rates of autism, media scares about all these new diseases and more erratic weather -all of this stuff happened in less than two decades.

It was a rather perfect storm of change that challenged the ability of people's latent ability to adapt. I remember growing up with severe depression and being relegated to spending a lot of time on the internet. The horrible way people act online combined with painful experiences with roommates at college lead me to become incredibly fearful and anxious about almost all other people for some years. I've overcome a lot of it, but the anchors of tradition, community and expectations that allow people to feel confident about their decisions, that was ripped out violently by technological progress and information overload. I think in the future things will be far more settled for several decades until the next major traumas.

As go the goons, so goes the nation.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
How do third party poll numbers bear out I reality? Is Johnson actually going to get 10% of the vote or are people that respond in a poll saying they'll vote third party too unmotivated to actually go vote?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Paul Ryan and his ilk are way more dangerous than Trump.

If I have to deal with a racist, I'd rather deal with the loud shouty one than the conniving and surreptitious one.

luckily we live in an age where it is very easy to associate Paul Ryan and his ilk to Trump's platform.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

funkymonks posted:

How do third party poll numbers bear out I reality? Is Johnson actually going to get 10% of the vote or are people that respond in a poll saying they'll vote third party too unmotivated to actually go vote?

Usually they collapse before election day. But they also usually don't poll as high as they are polling this year, so who knows!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

funkymonks posted:

If you've noticed he's been slowly dropping in support as the election goes on.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

funkymonks posted:

Not even close. In 2012 Johnson was polling around 5% and got around 1%.

Perhaps this election will see a few more third party voters than normal, but I don't see him breaking 2-3%.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Johnson gets the "generic Libertarian" support, but he's a terrible candidate. If the Libertarians had run someone worthwhile this year it might be a good year for them.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

Johnson gets the "generic Libertarian" support, but he's a terrible candidate. If the Libertarians had run someone worthwhile this year it might be a good year for them.

"worthwhile"

"libertarian"

pick one

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
I think Johnson was their 'someone worthwhile'. Libertarianism doesn't attract a lot of people who are very gifted politically.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/johnpodesta/status/786988264985100288
:thurman:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dunno if this was posted already
https://twitter.com/ghostfxcker/status/786753908332982272

The Site:
http://www.trumpisnotateamplayer.com/

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I think Johnson was their 'someone worthwhile'. Libertarianism doesn't attract a lot of people who are very gifted politically.

If you believe in Libertarianism and you're politically able, you'll be a Republican.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The more I think about future candidates being under a microscope the more I'm reminded of this old ethics puzzler

quote:

TWO TOUGH QUESTIONS:

Question 1: If you knew a woman who was pregnant, who had 8 kids already, three who were deaf, two who were blind, one mentally retarded, and she had syphilis; would you recommend that she have an abortion?

Read the next question before scrolling down to the answer of this one.

Question 2: It is time to elect a new world leader, and your vote counts. Here are the facts about the three leading candidates:

Candidate A: Associates with crooked politicians, and consults with astrologists. He's had two mistresses. He also chain smokes and drinks 8 to 10 martinis a day.
Candidate B: He was kicked out of office twice, sleeps until noon, used opium in college and drinks a quart of whisky every evening.
Candidate C: He is a decorated war hero. He's a vegetarian, doesn't smoke, drinks an occasional beer and hasn't had any extramarital affairs.
Which of these candidates would be your choice? Decide first, no peeking, then scroll down for the answer.

Candidate A is Franklin D. Roosevelt
Candidate B is Winston Churchill
Candidate C is Adolph Hitler

And by the way: Answer to the abortion question - if you said yes, you just killed Beethoven.

Pretty interesting isn't it? Makes a person think before judging someone.

Fallacious or not, it's an interesting what if. What if we pick the outwardly moral guy vs the drunkard despite the former being the reincarnation of hitler? It doesn't apply in this case since Trump is such a fuckup on all fronts but it certainly won't stop the deplorables from claiming we could have had the Antoninus Pius of presidents but nooooo we hated him for chasing girls on the playground

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
That Ryan speech makes me real goddamn worried about what happens when the GOP eventually takes back the White House and presumably has a majority in both houses of Congress. Unless something happens to whisk away gerrymandering and/or Dems actually figure out how to get out the vote in midterm elections, it feels like it's inevitable. And it'd only take them months if not days to send us back like eighty years. Even if we have a liberal Supreme Court it makes me really nervous.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

"worthwhile"

"libertarian"

pick one
A person who can convey their ideas without loving up basic poo poo like not knowing what Syria is. That doesn't make Libertarian ideas good.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A politically able Libertarian is just Paul Ryan.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

That Ryan speech makes me real goddamn worried about what happens when the GOP eventually takes back the White House and presumably has a majority in both houses of Congress. Unless something happens to whisk away gerrymandering and/or Dems actually figure out how to get out the vote in midterm elections, it feels like it's inevitable. And it'd only take them months if not days to send us back like eighty years. Even if we have a liberal Supreme Court it makes me really nervous.
They've had the house and senate for years and the worst damage we've seen was from conservative SC decisions.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

The good news is the Ryan contingent, if they have any power at all, won't be relevant by 2020.

The bad news is the replacement will probably make you pine for the Ryan contingent.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

The more I think about future candidates being under a microscope the more I'm reminded of this old ethics puzzler

Boy that is really loving dumb.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tom Guycot posted:

You know, this brings up something else. What do you honestly do when ~40% of your population believes in conspiracies? Not just right slanted media or something, but outright, flat "this president is a gay terrorist lizzard, who's the antichrist and is plotting to destroy America with chemtrails!"

something like 80 percent of americans think jfk was killed in a conspiracy when it's insanely obvious it was oswald alone.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

BDawg posted:

Wrap the full url in the {url}{/url} brackets (use brackets). It won't show right in preview, but will in the post.

You don't actually have to do this. The link alone will automatically embed.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Boy that is really loving dumb.

yeah if you leave out the whole "murdered millions of jews, roma, and homosexuals out of a weird personal vendetta" it's easier to paint hitler with a rosy brush.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

The GOP will control all three branches when they stop thinking the way Paul Ryan does.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

what happens when the GOP eventually takes back the White House

this isn't happening unless the party goes back to being rockefeller republicans. dubya was right when he spoke to that aide. he's gonna be the last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Groovelord Neato posted:

something like 80 percent of americans think jfk was killed in a conspiracy when it's insanely obvious it was oswald clone.

• Locked thread