Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Squeegy posted:

I don't really care either, except when someone tries to claim that they're a gay icon. Then I've got an axe to grind, because I don't really think they deserve that moniker. People should be honored for speaking against the grain, not conveniently supporting gay rights when the time finally comes where it is politically convenient for them to do so. We should forgive, but not forget.

Yeah, remember when the Clintons didn't do anything at all for Gay people and that not doing anything helped incite Congress to pass veto proof legislation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ascii genitals posted:

The Salad man is one crazy dude. There are pictures of him putting his ding dong in a hot dog bun and a video of him peeing into his own mouth up on tumblr.
a salad pee in he own mouth... a shameful salad.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Squeegy posted:

It was only glib until you went on to stubbornly defend it and claim that the LGBT community has been fawning over the Clintons for the past 8 years. Then it's a little more than a passing remark.

Also not sure why you're bothered by people debating & discussing in Debate & Discussion?

I don't really consider fishmeching a discussion :shrug:

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Jygallax posted:

I'm really curious to see the Utah results on election day.

In Utah and just cast my mail-in ballot. :getin:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Gyges posted:

Yeah, remember when the Clintons didn't do anything at all for Gay people and that not doing anything helped incite Congress to pass veto proof legislation?

I thought that was Baehr v. Miike?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

drat Steve Schmidt is almost crying on MSNBC right now over Trump making GBS threads on Democracy.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Turnquiet posted:

Holy shot piiiissssss I had no idea The Dana Carvey show had anything of value and that Colbert was in it. The wrong guy from Wayne's World got botched heart operations and a hobbled career.

Years before Jon Stewart was hosting The Daily Show, Bob Odenkirk turned Robert Smigel onto The Onion and a few The Onion writers collaborated with Smigel to produce parodies of TV news for the Dana Carvey Show with Colbert as the anchor. I don't think they ever aired, but one of The Onion writers (Ben Karlin) went on to be a head writer on The Daily Show as soon as Stewart joined, and was co-creator of Colbert Report.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Endorph posted:

a salad pee in he own mouth... a shameful salad.

lol

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
3 more Clinton votes in CO tonight from my household.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I voted on Friday and there was some fatass neckbeard haranguing the early voting staff at the county offices about "everyone has bias, only some care to acknowledge it" like he was some vapist heidegger dropping smug redpill knowledge on the lesser gender. I just saunter up to the counter and the lady's like "we get all types, welp"

Felt so loving ashamed, but then I got to cancel that rear end in a top hat's vote out so all's well in the world. Did it during lunch so after I voted for Hillary I went back to work. At a bank, owned by a massive multinational group headquartered in France. Parentheses all over the place.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 19, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

computer parts posted:

Romney did not do too well with Hispanics either, the electorate was just whiter then.

For some reason I was remembering W's numbers for Romney. Looks like, with the exception of Reagan and W(both got around 40%), Republicans are usually in the toilet. Still, it's better than their numbers with Blacks.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/788562193998614528

This is so loving brilliant.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Phoenixan posted:

In Utah and just cast my mail-in ballot. :getin:

I really hope you strategically voted for McMuffin!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Agnosticnixie posted:

Liberal pragmatism is cold comfort for people who grew up then and spent their youths fighting for poo poo that ended up being a knock-on effect of the late 90s way of doing thing. Canada had gay marriage in every province before there was a paradigm shift. Same with Mexico and Argentina's federal gay marriage laws.

Ultimately compromising did less than nothing if there was a veto proof majority.

Who gives a poo poo if someone had wrong opinions on gay rights in the 90s.

The entire strategy of the gay rights movement ever since the 70s was to change minds about gay rights. Putting people on trial for opinions they used to have after you worked to change their minds is stupid and counterproductive.

:bahgawd: Marriage is a sacred institution between a man and a woman, it's not for homos!
:sparkles: Actually, gay people are no different than straight people, we are all human and deserve the same rights and privileges. Look around, you probably know gay people. Your cousin loves his husband as much as you love your wife, are you going to tell him he doesn't deserve to visit his loved one in the hospital
:bahgawd: Hmm I guess you're right. From now on I'll support you as an elected official.
:sparkles: No way, get hosed you hypocrite!! I'll never forgive you and I'll never support you no matter what you do so you might as well keep working against my interests to get the bigot vote cuz you sure won't get mine!

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

So is that just a donation every time trump tweets?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

FAUXTON posted:

I voted on Friday and there was some fatass neckbeard haranguing the early voting staff at the county offices about "everyone has bias, only some care to acknowledge it" like he was some vapist heidegger dropping smug redpill knowledge on the lesser gender. I just saunter up to the counter and the lady's like "we get all types, welp"

I told the lady at the county office that I wanted to take my early voting ballot back to where I'd seen some people holding up a Trump Pence sign on an overpass and make them watch as I voted for Clinton right in front of them.

Unfortunately they were gone by the time I got back. No stamina! :sad:

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Spaced God posted:

So is that just a donation every time trump tweets?

Yes.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Who has the dosh for that? If you made it a drinking game you'd die of alcohol poisoning.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

so many people are gonna hit the donation limit

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

U-DO Burger posted:

so many people are gonna hit the donation limit

Imagine being the guy who tells Trump that every time he tweets Clinton's campaign makes money.

Also Hannity just referred to the national enquirer article on air.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

computer parts posted:

I mean, except for all the people who did grow up then and say the Clintons are just fine.

Gays are a captive demographic of the democratic party, it's not like the LCR represents more than a handful of morons. Having the HRC seal of approval isn't really meaningful when the Human Rights campaign is itself a bullshit organisation that spent most of the aughties fighting against trans rights for fear that trans people having rights was too scary for the US public.

But sure, take them to task when they don't actually act up on progressive ideals unless apparently when it's unpopular, then it's perfectly okay to put rights down to popularity contests.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Night10194 posted:

Also, CNN had an article on how the American public is just plain getting sick of Trump's poo poo. Like, he's become boring for them.

Ever pick up a tv show, comic series, whatever and have it start off kind of entertaining but then just drag on waaay past it's sell-by date and get increasingly stupid? And like, by the end you just want everyone involved to die but you're too stubborn not to see it through?

That's how I felt about The L Word, and that's how I feel about the Trump campaign. I don't want to have to think about him anymore, but I have to see it through before I move on to something more pleasant

there wolf posted:

The worst candy is candy cigarettes.

I hear you say, "But I don't live in a rural-Gothic novel with a dilapidated gas station staffed by a dower old man with a thousand yard stare waiting on the usual clientele of ghost truckers and blues musicians on their way to meat the devil. I have never had a candy cigarette." Next time you down some ibuprofen, chew it. There's your candy cigarette.
Just wanted to let you know I enjoyed this post very much.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

GalacticAcid posted:

Evan Bayh is the next Joe Lieberman.

Oh god this is going to happen isn't it? The Dems will get 50 in the Senate and then Bayd will turn in to the biggest shitlord possible. :ohdear:

Squeegy posted:

I'm guessing the Fox News debate committee is not going to be as firm about this stuff as the last one was.

Both of whom are equally beholden to obey any decisions by the Secret Service. I doubt they see any of those people as a threat but if they'd say "this person isn't going inside" then that's the end of it.

Like, if when he invites Alex Jones there's a non-zero chance the Secret Service blocks his entry out of safety/sanity concerns.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Squeegy posted:

I thought that was Baehr v. Miike?

Baehr v. Miike was what started freaking out "good Christians" about the sanctity of marriage, having just finally started calming down from their freak out over Loving v. Virginia. However when the Clintons tried to get open gay service in the military that made it look like the insidious Homosexual Agenda might be going somewhere. Other things definitely contributed to the rear end in a top hat push to define marriage, but as I remember the fight over gays in the military was the second salvo as far as the religious right was concerned.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

XyrlocShammypants posted:

drat Steve Schmidt is almost crying on MSNBC right now over Trump making GBS threads on Democracy.

Yeah... I'm sure for a lot of fiscal conservatives they're realizing they created a monster, and now it's loose.

And now they understand that it may cause more damage than they thought it would.

Ugly Tony
May 6, 2005

It's not even Tuesday, dog

Riven posted:

Mine too.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Amazing. Clinton's digital media team is just pounding Trump's into the sand. Maybe into sand.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

On Terra Firma posted:

Imagine being the guy who tells Trump that every time he tweets Clinton's campaign makes money.

Riven posted:

+1 more. Hope that orange fascist chokes on it.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

VitalSigns posted:

Who gives a poo poo if someone had wrong opinions on gay rights in the 90s.

The entire strategy of the gay rights movement ever since the 70s was to change minds about gay rights. Putting people on trial for opinions they used to have after you worked to change their minds is stupid and counterproductive.

:bahgawd: Marriage is a sacred institution between a man and a woman, it's not for homos!
:sparkles: Actually, gay people are no different than straight people, we are all human and deserve the same rights and privileges. Look around, you probably know gay people. Your cousin loves his husband as much as you love your wife, are you going to tell him he doesn't deserve to visit his loved one in the hospital
:bahgawd: Hmm I guess you're right. From now on I'll support you as an elected official.
:sparkles: No way, get hosed you hypocrite!! I'll never forgive you and I'll never support you no matter what you do so you might as well keep working against my interests to get the bigot vote cuz you sure won't get mine!

Or you know, primary the fucker. Also this is generally a terrible argument that only feeds a relatively complacent, liberal view of how things progress. Without angry people, the assimilationists would have gotten nowhere.

It was in no way the entire strategy of the gay rights movement, it was a strategy used by some of it. You might as well claim that outings were a deliberate strategy of the whole gay rights movement because some people adopted it as one.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Trump is going to do what he does best and cause a lot of bankruptcies.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

there wolf posted:

The worst candy is candy cigarettes.

I hear you say, "But I don't live in a rural-Gothic novel with a dilapidated gas station staffed by a dower old man with a thousand yard stare waiting on the usual clientele of ghost truckers and blues musicians on their way to meat the devil. I have never had a candy cigarette." Next time you down some ibuprofen, chew it. There's your candy cigarette.
I can't believe candy cigarettes were still acceptable in the mid-90s. My cousins had those, plus little flashlights that looked like Bic lighters. Lo and behold they both grew up to be smokers. Last time I checked they still sell the shredded beef jerky that looks like chewing tobacco.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Nm

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

isk posted:

Amazing. Clinton's digital media team is just pounding Trump's into the sand. Maybe into sand.

No, no... pillars of salt.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hollismason posted:

LGBT rights have in the last 20 years move forward tremendously in the USA which is pretty amazing.

Yeah, I can only assume that people who are attacking the Clintons for not being pro-gay enough in the 90s don't actually remember the 90s.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Crow Jane posted:

Ever pick up a tv show, comic series, whatever and have it start off kind of entertaining but then just drag on waaay past it's sell-by date and get increasingly stupid? And like, by the end you just want everyone involved to die but you're too stubborn not to see it through?

That's how I felt about The L Word, and that's how I feel about the Trump campaign. I don't want to have to think about him anymore, but I have to see it through before I move on to something more pleasant

This is basically where I am. Plus, you know, we all thought there'd be a twist, but there isn't. He's just a massive, pissbaby rear end in a top hat who does the same thing over and over again, then finds a new way to dig deeper and make it worse. There's no secret plan, he's not secretly skilled at anything, he's just an idiot who tapped into a vein of white rage and is going to get embarrassingly close but almost certainly get crushed.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Casimir Radon posted:

I can't believe candy cigarettes were still acceptable in the mid-90s. My cousins had those, plus little flashlights that looked like Bic lighters. Lo and behold they both grew up to be smokers. Last time I checked they still sell the shredded beef jerky that looks like chewing tobacco.

Guess you never heard of Big League Chew.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Squeegy posted:

I have no problem with that either and I don't recall saying I did. Ally is a little different from hero.

And hero is also different from icon. A lot of Hillary's popularity in the gay community comes from the fact that electing a woman President of the United States will inherently challenge traditional ideas of gender roles and norms, something gay people have been fighting to do for decades. It's at best tangential to her 90s policy work, whatever your view of that may be.

e: and obviously it's by no means universal, there are people in the alphasoup community who think hillary is a lizard people and that doesn't delegitimize their identities or whatever, it's just a general sense that a lot of people have.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SSNeoman posted:

Holy hell this is gonna be a shitshow.
1) Moderated by Fox News
2) Has all the conspiracy mongers invited
3) Trump unchained, probably gonna rant about media bias and poo poo nonstop.

Can...can we just stop it? Too much is too much. Like even Jerry Springer would call this a farce.

There was a moment in a recent NPR Politics Podcast where one of the presenters said, speaking of the election, "this needs to be over" and sounded so tired and disgusted

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Gyges posted:

Guess you never heard of Big League Chew.

Ugh, I'd forgotten that chewing tobacco was a baseball thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Guy Goodbody posted:

There was a moment in a recent NPR Politics Podcast where one of the presenters said, speaking of the election, "this needs to be over" and sounded so tired and disgusted

22 more days!

• Locked thread