Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
There are a few dry counties in Ohio as well. Some of our guys would stay in hotels in another county just to be closer to restaurants where they could get a beer with dinner. Of course, sometimes you just need to stay in another county just to get a decent hotel when you're in the middle of nowhere.

But I've never had any trouble getting liquor. There are plenty of liquor stores around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

milk milk lemonade posted:

Your story is that you're proud to be from a state so terrible no one bothers to live there?

At least we have a view.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Your story is that you're proud to be from a state so terrible no one bothers to live there?
Say what you want but nobody disses Yellowstone Nat'll Park! :catbert:

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

How does it feel to have the name of your main mountain range translate to "Big Titties"

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Nessus posted:

Rename Cincinnati to Harambe City, imo

:yeah:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Gail Wynand posted:

How does it feel to have the name of your main mountain range translate to "Big Titties"

Awesome

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
DO you think Harmabe write ins will get more votes than Jill Stein?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Star Man posted:

At least we have a view.

ive been to laramie, you can't fool me

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Star Man posted:

At least we have a view.

Okay great so does Idaho, doesn't explain why you don't live in a place like Colorado or Utah instead of a state with the population of a small city whose primary exports are cows and pictures of barns

I'm sure the ~12 million people living in Ohio are crushed they can't trade their lackluster views for a shot at herding goats or being the assistant manager at a truck stop

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

GI_Clutch posted:

Speaking of southern Ohio being a wreck, the company I work for works with county Job and Family Services agencies. According to a worker at Meigs County, somewhere around 83% of the county was on government assistance at the time.

Meigs County is also known for its weed ('Meigs Gold'). I suppose some of them might just not have any legal income. The scuttlebutt was the poor county also meant there was little law enforcement which helped local growers but I dunno how true that was.

I thought it was just a local Ohio rep until many years ago on a lengthy inebriated tour of the West Coast with several guys who grew up in Athens we got asked a number of times if Athens was near Meigs County.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I saw some skyline chili once.

I can't think of anything worse I could say about ohio.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

Bassetking posted:

The best Ohio Joke:

Ohio.

We're still better than Michigan, though.

"You're from Ohio, too? I know a lot of great people who are from Ohio. Yeah, Ohio's a good place to be from."

(Sorry, I'm a Canadian who knows nothing about Ohio or Ohioans.)

I'm currently sick with a nasty sore throat (which is going to turn into an ugly head cold in a couple days) so obviously I thought the most productive use of my time at home was to catch up on the last 300 pages of USPol over the past few days. gently caress me. (I was determined not to go "Hay guise what happened in the last 300 pages? :downs:)

But I'm still chuckling at 4chan "loving o'keefe duckolded me!"

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Squeegy posted:

I'm about 30 pages late but I have family in Cincinnati and Columbus and I have always referred to it as the Nothing State. They have nothing going for them since American manufacturing ditched them, and it's basically Florida with fewer minorities. Definitely would not surprise me if they went for Trump.

e: Nevermind someone already said it better

Florida actually has Cattle going for it, but is going to eventually sink into the sea. So all in all, Florida actually has a future in store for it, unlike the two aforementioned cities!

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Please move to idaho instead. We have good spanish wine.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Okay great so does Idaho, doesn't explain why you don't live in a place like Colorado or Utah instead of a state with the population of a small city whose primary exports are cows and pictures of barns

I'm sure the ~12 million people living in Ohio are crushed they can't trade their lackluster views for a shot at herding goats or being the assistant manager at a truck stop

If there's one thing I miss about living in Wyoming after living in Denver for the last three years, it's that I miss being from a place where people don't act like they're better than you because of where they live. We're poo poo, but at least we know it and leave it at that. Anyway, thanks for dragging my unfunny statement on for this long. I'm glad you liked it :haw:

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Good news for me, I just found out that I'm having surgery next Thursday so I'm gonna be in the hospital completely hopped up on pain meds for the last weekend before the election.

I hope you recuperate quickly! I don't think posting on election night would be the same without you.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

AmiYumi posted:

Just looked it up. Christ, how broken do you have to be as a state to not just pass Blue Laws or something, you have to make sure to gently caress up everyone's drinks forever.

Fun left Ohio along with manufacturing jobs

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Colin Powell endorses Clinton.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tbf the owner of the Browns made his fortune running a chain of truck stops.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

FYI never travel to SE Ohio (except for Athens! :respek:) if you can help it. It's got some of the most gutted and economically-ravaged Rust Belt territory outside of, like, Detroit, and it's super loving depressing to witness in person.

The Front Wheel Drive street name and five different Portsmouths that look like living time capsules from the 1950s were kind of amusing, though.

e: More Ohio quick tips while I'm on this derail:

*Cincinnati is what I'd consider "Just OK" for an American city. Nothing really spectacular like you'd find in a more cosmopolitan city like Seattle or San Francisco or Boston but not that bad either. Non-natives are confused and horrified by the Cincinnati take on chili. I'm biased though since I'm originally from Cincy. :v:

*Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH, is in the very northernest-rear end end of Ohio, literally jutting into Lake Erie, but it's an awesome, magical place if you're a theme park (and ESPECIALLY roller coaster) enthusiast. Literally an All-Star ensemble of some of the best roller coasters in the world.

*Columbus is a little more liberal than Cincinnati, but really loving spread-out like Chicago is and is still pretty much "just average" for an American city. I've lobbied the State capitol building though, which is pretty modest if you're used to being in DC with their Capitol building

*Cleveland is the most liberal major city in Ohio (the conservative/liberal line tends to progress from Cincinnati diagonally through Columbus ending in Cleveland, Columbus being the main divider between Ohio conservatives and liberals), but it's cold whenever I've been there and always seemed really depressing to go visit.

*Every time I see a non-native spell Cincinnati as "Cincinatti," my blood pressure goes up just a tiny bit. Just a little pet peeve of mine. :v:

Uh, nothing really to add, I guess? I'm just from Ohio and I feel the urge to defend it whenever someone else not from here shits on it and dismisses literally the entire state as flyover country, even though I like to poo poo on Ohio a lot too and think most of the state is a wasteland myself. :shobon:

Really, there's an Ohio experienced by the people who live in the 3 C's and an Ohio for everyone else. The 3 C's are basically like living in any other major city that isn't literally NY/LA/SF/DC/Boston. They're no worse for sprawl than Atlanta, Chicago, or even Seattle, and it's really no worse to live in any of them than one of those 3.

SE Ohio is functionally just West Virginia outside of Athens honestly. I ran some polling operations in undergrad targeted at the area for a project I worked on, and I had respondents who would spend hours trying to figure out if I was the IRS/NSA/CIA/FBI/EPA trying to get information about them to gently caress them up. I know some Profs who actually proposed a "Zanesville Index" that could track rural economic activity as a proposed metric to predict the likelihood of local militia groups/activities from some of the experiences that came out of that research.

I grew up in Cleveland and consider it probably the closest to the Midwestern D stereotypes. It's still very much run by political machines, but it's also unironically got some absurd opportunities if you're in the right fields, and there are plenty of spots both within the city and in the inner-ring burbs that are very much worth living. You have to get used to the weather of living on the lake, but if you're in Engineering, Medicine, or Finance, you can land absurdly high-paying gigs with minimal competition in town and afford to live like a king here. The restaurant scene is good, and our sports teams are fun to go to as well. We have one of the best orchestras in the world, and the Cleveland Museum of Art is routinely ranked as one of the best in the country. If you seriously say there's nothing to do in Cleveland, you're probably the type of person who gets annoyed when someone doesn't compliment your moustache as nicely waxed that night. It's not for everyone; and, if you can't handle grey skies, don't live here. The outer burbs do get sprawly and stuffy, with the East side getting a rep for old money snobbery and the West side for all the terrible new money Developments with cul-de-sac after cul-de-sac of bleh. But if you live in the Lakewood/River/Shaker/Cleveland area, you can certainly maintain a fairly comfortable life and not have to deal with Tea Party bullshit or endless corn people seem to think the state has. It's Seattle without the ocean and hordes of Microsoft employees, and it gets an unfair shake despite doing a lot of things well these days.

Columbus is hideously location dependent, but I legitimately miss it. It's my favorite city in the state, but it's also not for everybody. It's sprawl-y, in the Dallas kind of way. But that said, it's great for some niche markets (insurance, computers and tech, banking, textiles) and is one of the hottest real estate markets in America right now as a result of that. If you're living in one of the nicer, older suburbs within 270/670, it's pretty nice, if a bit overpriced. It may be suburban, but it's more walkable than 90% of midwestern suburbs, and if you live in Columbus proper, you can usually pick a spot that's going to be close to at least some thing you like or at least within very short distance of your interests. Areas like the German Village or Short North actually have a pretty decent amount of character and are fun to live in and walk around, and it's probably still 1/2-1/3 of the price of living on a coast. If you're into Bike commuting, Columbus is really good for it outside ofthe snowy months and only getting better. Again, it isn't for everyone, but it's not the awful corn-infested sprawling hellhole so many people like to pretend it is. The politics lean Democratic but are mostly centrists who are interested in vaguely improving their communities at reasonable prices while never really pushing the envelope. You may get some crazies out in like Newark/Heath, but it's pretty tame in the Metro area itself and won't gently caress up your day.

Cincinnati is a mixed bag and almost overwhelmingly an insular breeding ground for future residents of South Carolina outside of the urban areas. If you're white and into consumer packaged goods, consumer finance, market research, insurance, or consulting, you'll probably live like a king here and have the same Hotel California experience everyone seems to have of showing up, never leaving for whatever reason, then waking up and retiring to Hilton Head or Orlando. Like the previous poster said, it's fine. If you're non-white, you're going to probably deal with a worse shake than any major city north of the Mason-Dixon line as far as I've seen, and I"m being completely serious. There are Gen X/Boomers with literally fond memories of the race riots here who wish they could pull out the fire hoses on the uppity minorities and who still unironically use terms like "coloreds" and "negros" even in polite company. I have a guy who sits behind me at Bengals games who talks about refusing to hire black people because he doesn't want to get sued for discrimination if/when he fires them. Part of that is because this is easily the most white, old money city in Ohio because it just isn't vulnerable to crashes the way Cleveland or Columbus are which has led to an honest-to-God established aristocracy (Those 2 rely on things like steel or tech while Cincy has P&G and Kroger selling soap and groceries in any economy), and part of it is the fact that there's some level of upward flow from Southern states into the city for whatever reason. It's an entrenched enough structure that you can actually get grown men to rattle off country clubs by their reputation for things like age of money, celebrity, or image more easily than for things like their goddamn facilities, to the point where it feels like living in a gigantic fraternity row rather than an actual city.The most common question you'll be asked is "Where did you go to school?", which specifically refers to HS around these parts, largely because anyone from the area can immediately place your likely class and status just from that information and immediately knows within about a 10 block radius of where you live because almost every suburb here is a tiny township or village, and answering with something that isn't a local school will be met with a blank stare as they remember that transplants can be from places other than northern Kentucky. There's opportunity if you really like the idea of living somewhere that people still drive H2s, are willing to vote for Jean Schmidt/John Boehner, and where every burb elects more officials through the GOP primary than through the General, but that probably makes it easily the least appealing of the C's for young people and is probably why the city is doing things like the Streetcar project or gentrifying the gently caress out of Uptown to convince people to stay in the area or come here. If Ohio somehow goes for Trump, a lot of that will be on the back of the Cincinnati/Dayton corridor and surrounding counties. Also, the chili is gross, and you can't acquire a taste for it unless you literally grew up on it as I've quickly discovered.

Dayton/Youngtown/Toledo/Akron are all depressing as gently caress, and you shouldn't live there. Most of my extended family lives in the outskirts of Akron or Youngstown, and it's like stepping into a Stephen King novel everytime I go out there. Don't do it.

TheGreyGhost fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 26, 2016

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

I think you mean "the owner of the Browns made his fortune defrauding the customers of his chain of truck stops"

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

computer parts posted:

i thought the point was to prove that truck stops weren't synonymous with failure

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Speaking of truck stops and Ohio, I stopped at one to buy a pack of smokes, and commented to the lady how cheap they were compared to back home. She asked me where I was from, and when I said Baltimore she said "Oh, I hear it's just beautiful there! I'd love to visit someday!" in the same way I'd talk about like, Paris or Marrakech. It was sort of crushingly sad

I haven't had the best Ohio experiences

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I had the best steak of my life in Columbus, so at least it's got that going for it.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Crow Jane posted:

Speaking of truck stops and Ohio, I stopped at one to buy a pack of smokes, and commented to the lady how cheap they were compared to back home. She asked me where I was from, and when I said Baltimore she said "Oh, I hear it's just beautiful there! I'd love to visit someday!" in the same way I'd talk about like, Paris or Marrakech. It was sort of crushingly sad

No, no. That is as good as it gets; That is Ohio.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Northeast Ohio is lacking in jobs but everything else is mostly OK.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

TheGreyGhost posted:

Really, there's an Ohio experienced by the people who live in the 3 C's and an Ohio for everyone else. The 3 C's are basically like living in any other major city that isn't literally NY/LA/SF/DC/Boston. They're no worse for sprawl than Atlanta, Chicago, or even Seattle, and it's really no worse to live in any of them than one of those 3.

Is your forums title from the Grey Ghost of New Orleans?"

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"
So I just got a phone call from a blocked number saying are from a company called "quantum" or something like that.

Saying they were doing a poll and not gonna sell me anthing, They just wanted to ask me about some issue regarding my state.

I told them I already sent in my ballot. They thanked me for my time and hung up.

If it was poll then does it matter if I already sent in a ballot?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dicky mouse posted:

So I just got a phone call from a blocked number saying are from a company called "quantum" or something like that.

Saying they were doing a poll and not gonna sell me anthing, They just wanted to ask me about some issue regarding my state.

I told them I already sent in my ballot. They thanked me for my time and hung up.

If it was poll then does it matter if I already sent in a ballot?

It matters if it was a push poll

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

Epic High Five posted:

It matters if it was a push poll

Would it be a first amendment issue if there was a law to make these people clarify that they want your opinion vs wanting to sway your opinion.

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

Tom Guycot posted:

I saw some skyline chili once.

I can't think of anything worse I could say about ohio.

Yo, I will talk a lot of garbage about Ohio, and it deserves it, but I will face god and walk backwards into hell before I hear an unkind word said about Skyline Chili.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

TheGreyGhost posted:

Dayton/Youngtown/Toledo/Akron are all depressing as gently caress, and you shouldn't live there. Most of my extended family lives in the outskirts of Akron or Youngstown, and it's like stepping into a Stephen King novel everytime I go out there. Don't do it.

Dayton is great! We've got the Dayton Dragons, Marion's Pizza (which is technically Marion's Piazza but everyone calls it Marion's Pizza), and Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, where they stored the aliens from Roswell! We gave the world Guided By Voices, Kim Deal, Nancy Cartwright, Erma Bombeck, Phil Donahue, and the Wright Brothers!

Come see the Beavercreek Popcorn Festival, the Bookery Fantasy comic store, and Xenia, the largest American city that starts with the letter X! It's all happening in Dayton!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Bassetking posted:

Yo, I will talk a lot of garbage about Ohio, and it deserves it, but I will face god and walk backwards into hell before I hear an unkind word said about Skyline Chili.

A woman displaying the appropriate enthusiasm for skyline chili.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Night10194 posted:

Colin Powell endorses Clinton.

I wonder if he's lying

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Crow Jane posted:

this is literally the exact same thing that happened to me when i told a lady working behind the counter at an arby's in provo that i lived in baltimore

it was sunday night and i was there for work and it was the only thing that was open okay

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Dayton has been getting better the past 4-5 years. It's mainly the people who live in the country areas surrounding it who are legit scared of it for some reason who weird me out.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

:bisonyes:

Shifty Pony posted:

The Hastert Rule will be non-negotiable sacrifice #1 which the democrats will demand in exchange for their support of any speaker candidate.

It should be an easy sell too.

"Hey, the guy this rule is named after is a convicted serial child rapist. Think of the attack ads if you continue to defend this poo poo."

It's a shame that she's probably going to be 100% on board with the GOP again as soon as the election ends because she looks so close to just snapping and telling them all to gently caress off but she never will. She'd still be a quasi-white supremacist either way though.

I'd have had a newfound respect for her if she said "Mr. Spekaer do you really want sex scandals from the 90s brought back up? You? Of all people? Are you sure about this?" Does she not realize she can make Newt go silent or completely lose his mind by pointing out he was cheating on his (dying?) wife while going after Bill for his affair with Monica? Or does she know that bringing it up could make the GOP go nuclear against her or Fox News if they wouldn't immediately shitcan her?

oh my god, one of the twitter replies to an alt-right shithead whining about the kelly file:

:perfect:

computer parts posted:

Considering what Bettis used to do to the Browns he clearly didn't know how to run a bus stop. :getin:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 26, 2016

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Tom Guycot posted:

A woman displaying the appropriate enthusiasm for skyline chili.

Oh that's just the closest thing to a smile anyone who doesn't love huffing corn farts and thinking about their cousin's laundry can muster while in the Midwest.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

TheGreyGhost posted:

...and part of it is the fact that there's some level of upward flow from Southern states into the city for whatever reason.

Kentucky. It's Kentucky.

Cincinnati should literally annex Newport, KY since so much of Cincinnati business and money is funneled into the fun palaces just across the river.

Also, you were spot-fuckin'-on about the whole "where did you go to school?" thing here implying HS instead of college. It makes me a little sad and ashamed that that's our bar for educational attainment as a state. :sigh: Then again, I think that has less to do with being uneducated yokels but that there's a greater sense of local identity based around the HS you went to because, as you mentioned, people get stuck here after growing up here or moving here then never leave or otherwise leave so far away they go to the moon.

Me? I fall into the latter category.

Once I have the money and job experience on my resume lined up and the lease is expired, I'm packing my poo poo and heading to Seattle or LA.

e: Forgot to mention that the Cincinnati CVG airport is literally located across the river down into northern Kentucky. :psyduck:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Del Capitan
Feb 9, 2007

Congratulations! You have brought Chaos to the world!

bobjr posted:

Dayton has been getting better the past 4-5 years. It's mainly the people who live in the country areas surrounding it who are legit scared of it for some reason who weird me out.

Dayton's got black people, and the local news breathlessly reports every crime and traffic accident they can find and little else.

Also all these people fronting on Cincinnati chili are just mad because it's the real deal, rather than confederate tomato stew. :colbert:

• Locked thread