Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Flubby posted:

I don't know about this Bernie 2020 talk. I love Bernie and all, but he's going to be so old. He was already old in 2016. Turns out, in 2020, he may be even older.

its more like "Bernie please find us a candidate for 2020, ty"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
The only umbrage I take with identity politics is when it subsumes progressive economics.

There is no social justice without economic justice.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Peel posted:

i normally thump a tub about race itt but i have definitely seen some nauseating poo poo from Sensible Liberals Who Are Definitely Good And Smart Look At This Graph I Have talking about poor white people and it's surreal how they manage to finish their thoughts without realising what they're doing. it's the same creepy feeling you get when pleasant europeans suddenly become klansmen when discussing roma

it's not racist (poor whites, not roma), but because it's not racist the filters they're used to applying to what they say don't apply

Well I mean, it obviously is all racist, but they've had a metafilter banged into their minds that says anti-white prejudice can't be racist. "Demographics are destiny" is literally what animates the terror of all the white nationalists in the alt-right.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Darkman Fanpage posted:

lmao hillery blaming comey. she has no self-awareness.

shes right to lay blame on comey, but she should also be taking blame herself. plenty of loving blame to go around.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLG9g7BcjKs

The election in a nutshell.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. There are valuable parts of identity politics that should remain and I don't think it is completely incompatible with Marxist/Marxist-lite class politics. One thing that must go is the overemphasis on representation in politics and media. One of my favorite stories of the importance of representation is Nichelle Nichols wanting to quit Star Trek and MLK telling her that it's important for little black girls to see a black woman who is on TV and not just a maid. Mae Carol Jemison, the first black female astronaut, cites Uhura as an important inspiration for her own path to space exploration. That's loving awesome and I love that and we need more of that. However, Hillary being a woman, Huma Abedin being a Muslim-American woman, Donna Brazille being a black woman...none of this added up to a candidacy that women of color and white women found incredibly appealing. Representation matters but it can't be everything because being a woman doesn't mean you can't be oppressing women too.

I should be high for this poo poo.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

You guys are making me misty, I wish I could move to Point Pleasant, my favorite place in the world

No jobs :(

Jaminjami
Jan 26, 2015

lol?

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

It is time now for all believers to bow down and worship at the idol of Willa Rogers, who we know is the true Khaleesi of C-SPAM! Our Cassandra so often so right and yet receives such poo poo for it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3680205&pagenumber=1146&perpage=40#post449513434

Willa Rogers posted:

Let's see if the millennials actually come out to vote for Hillary if she wins the nomination. I don't think they will.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3680205&pagenumber=1145&perpage=40#post449512794

Willa Rogers posted:

See, I see the exact opposite: Millennials will vote for Bernie in the primaries but if Hillary wins the nomination, say hello to Pres. Trump, because younger (and especially white male) voters would as soon drive nails through their eyes than vote for her.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743840&pagenumber=117&perpage=40#post451755735

Willa Rogers posted:

Yeah, shame about those backroom deals Obama made with PhRMA and the AHA, which effectively killed a public option + drug pricing controls. Too bad Pryor, Nelson & Lieberman held a gun to his head to make those deals, huh?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3540057&pagenumber=50&perpage=40#post420761966

Willa Rogers posted:

They are terrible. Luckily for Congress, it gets only the Gold-level plans that the ordinary joes can't afford.

You're the one who can't make up your mind, and who deigns that the unwashed masses should love the exchanges, but then gets all :qq: about Congressional staffers having the same lovely plans. I'm consistent in my disdain toward the bronze and silver plans--you know, the ones most Americans who don't work for Congress are compelled to purchase from the one or two private insurers operating in their states--instead of maintaining it's good enough for thee but not for me.

eta: It's especially rich to see all the :qq: about poor staffers when no one's raised a peep about Chicago and Detroit dumping their muni retirees onto the exchanges. No wonder labor's pissed as hell at the Dems.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Larry Parrish posted:

Racism is when you apply base assumptions,
especially negative behavioral ones, based on something as retarded as melanin content or eye shape or what have you

So I don't know where this idea that you can't be racist to whites simply because the bourgeoise is disproportionally white comes from.

Institutional racism.

If you don't have it behind you, you only have the power to be prejudiced not racist. Mainly because for the most part you can't harm the subjects of your preexisting views from a distance and without lifting a finger.

Case in point, right now millions of Americans that may have never met a single representative of the minority and even immigrant groups they dislike have picked up the ability to make the lives of these people much much worse.

It was out of anger. Anger that came from poverty yes, but minority groups can't punish the rest of the country for being disadvantaged.

White people can. That's why they can be racist and we can't.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

NumberLast posted:

I grew up in coastal city la la land stronghold of liberal Democrats and we definitely do not learn about organized labor at all.

Unless you take AP American History (or whatever they're calling it now) the Labor Movement in the US is basically a paragraph of text in a social studies class. This is one place that I go full Chris Hedges on things and will state, without a femtosecond of hesitation, that academia, sanctioned by the liberal elite, have fully glossed over an absolutely enormous part of our shared history. That they have fully capitulated to the worship of false meritocracy.

I've gotten into it with my crunchy Seven Sisters and Ivy League friends about this, too. I don't think it got this heated since Occupy Wall Street when the locals sent huge numbers of shop members down to Zuccotti Park in solidarity and that union (no pun intended) lasted about a day.

And yeah, I'm a card carrying shop member of the CSEA.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. There are valuable parts of identity politics that should remain and I don't think it is completely incompatible with Marxist/Marxist-lite class politics. One thing that must go is the overemphasis on representation in politics and media. One of my favorite stories of the importance of representation is Nichelle Nichols wanting to quit Star Trek and MLK telling her that it's important for little black girls to see a black woman who is on TV and not just a maid. Mae Carol Jemison, the first black female astronaut, cites Uhura as an important inspiration for her own path to space exploration. That's loving awesome and I love that and we need more of that. However, Hillary being a woman, Huma Abedin being a Muslim-American woman, Donna Brazille being a black woman...none of this added up to a candidacy that women of color and white women found incredibly appealing. Representation matters but it can't be everything because being a woman doesn't mean you can't be oppressing women too.

Not only are identity politics and marxism compatible, they're inseparable.

The problem is social analysis without class analysis (the raison d'etre of the Democrats in the past 20 years) is regressive as hell by way of artificially dividing the working class against itself.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Vox Nihili posted:

shes right to lay blame on comey, but she should also be taking blame herself. plenty of loving blame to go around.

Yeah, she can't blame Comey without having to admit her campaign was a fragile little soap bubble that would pop in a light breeze. More email stuff sank her? Against Trump? In that case she was already doomed.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

christ, they're gonna "learn" the lesson but be entirely inauthentic about it like the republicans are, aren't they?

and once they "learn" that lesson, they're going to prevent anyone with any sort of authenticity towards that message from actually accomplishing it.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Unless you take AP American History (or whatever they're calling it now) the Labor Movement in the US is basically a paragraph of text in a social studies class. This is one place that I go full Chris Hedges on things and will state, without a femtosecond of hesitation, that academia, sanctioned by the liberal elite, have fully glossed over an absolutely enormous part of our shared history. That they have fully capitulated to the worship of false meritocracy.

I've gotten into it with my crunchy Seven Sisters and Ivy League friends about this, too. I don't think it got this heated since Occupy Wall Street when the locals sent huge numbers of shop members down to Zuccotti Park in solidarity and that union (no pun intended) lasted about a day.

I took IB History of the Americas, which mostly focused on the various anti-colonial revolutions.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Is this why Willa got ran out of D&D because lol

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

lmao

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

This vid gets thrown around a lot lately, but he's punching left way too much to take his analysis seriously.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I talked to an English professor at church a few months ago about how adjuncts are being treated. I asked if they had unionized and he asked me when has unionization ever helped a worker

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

hey dems

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Smoking Crow posted:

I talked to an English professor at church a few months ago about how adjuncts are being treated. I asked if they had unionized and he asked me when has unionization ever helped a worker

un-unionized labor hates unionized labor with a unique passion

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

NumberLast posted:

Not only are identity politics and marxism compatible, they're inseparable.

The problem is social analysis without class analysis (the raison d'etre of the Democrats in the past 20 years) is regressive as hell by way of artificially dividing the working class against itself.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Smoking Crow posted:

I'm honestly going to say I'm impressed because at universities, especially in States that haven't eviscerated labor protections, the faculty union is usually the strongest entity on the campus. I mean we're talking they get some serious perks.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Smoking Crow posted:

That is especially weird considering I guarantee he is a union member and is very interested in how the union negotiates his contracts.

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Hey progs!

How was the fireplace while we were voting?

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Kinda off topic but related to chat that happened here back a bit, does anyone have any links to clear explanations about whether or not accepting poor immigrants makes it harder for working class people to find jobs? I kinda suspect it does at least in the short term but would like to read what people have to say. (Or should I take this to another place)

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
Honestly, it's kind of depressing that "Identity politics" doesn't automatically bring personal means to mind, as that's definitely a huge part of identity.

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Fidel Castronaut posted:

That is especially weird considering I guarantee he is a union member and is very interested in how the union negotiates his contracts.

Exactly. I worked in a University and adjuncts are normally covered by the adjunct's Union.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
You need a good base message to start with and the economy(re: getting hosed by the rich/whites/men) is something every one of the Democrat's base groups can relate to. From there you can easily tailor you message to specific groups but in the end the message is still the same.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I'm honestly going to say I'm impressed because at universities, especially in States that haven't eviscerated labor protections, the faculty union is usually the strongest entity on the campus. I mean we're talking they get some serious perks.

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Ohio State University doesn't have a professor's union

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Princess Di posted:

Hey progs!

How was the fireplace while we were voting?

apparently u weren't voting LOL

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Princess Di posted:

Institutional racism.

If you don't have it behind you, you only have the power to be prejudiced not racist. Mainly because for the most part you can't harm the subjects of your preexisting views from a distance and without lifting a finger.

Case in point, right now millions of Americans that may have never met a single representative of the minority and even immigrant groups they dislike have picked up the ability to make the lives of these people much much worse.

It was out of anger. Anger that came from poverty yes, but minority groups can't punish the rest of the country for being disadvantaged.

White people can. That's why they can be racist and we can't.

Hillary did worse with every minority demographic than Obama. You can't just draw the end of your analysis here without tangling with the issue of why 8% of the black vote went to Trump.

How many of those voters were motivated by hatred of Hispanics or Muslims? How many are simply a traitorous bourgeoisie?

There is for sure, far more racial motivation among whites than any other group, but racism won on the margins - it wasn't all white folks.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

No, this is exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

I studied history in college, so I got a headful of what the worst in race, sex, nationality privileges actually looked like. So Idpol stuff was like an alien language to me. I think young people are especially vulnerable to that kind of rhetoric because those are the issues which most directly affect their lived experiences so - while they're still important, they also don't fear the need for healthcare, or (usually) don't have kids to raise. The tangible threat of material danger doesn't occur to them.

I am taking history as major in college right now and i feel the same way and i am thier age plus i need the healthcare. i feel likes its matter of them wanting to FEEL right and good, rather then actualy do things. plus more stuff i assume. when i have seen it's very rairly minority students, its well off white kids with a chip on their shoulder.

Fidel Castronaut posted:

100% agreed. i think its more how they do it and not what they are saying(well partly what they are saying) you basicaly need to fight for both the minorites and the working/rural whites. and you can do both.

http://fredrikdeboer.com/2015/03/10/critique-drift/

http://fredrikdeboer.com/2015/01/29/i-dont-know-what-to-do-you-guys/

this guy explains it better then me.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Smoking Crow posted:

Ohio State University doesn't have a professor's union

Haha what the gently caress. They don't even have right-to-work in Ohio, what is OSU doing?

Either way, I'm in a grad student union, which is super rare, and it owns because I get a very good stipend and I get health, dental, and optical insurance. That poo poo has helped this worker plenty. Tell that guy he can get his PhD in sucking my dick.

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

No, this is exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

I studied history in college, so I got a headful of what the worst in race, sex, nationality privileges actually looked like. So Idpol stuff was like an alien language to me. I think young people are especially vulnerable to that kind of rhetoric because those are the issues which most directly affect their lived experiences so - while they're still important, they also don't fear the need for healthcare, or (usually) don't have kids to raise. The tangible threat of material danger doesn't occur to them.

Omg, they absolutely fear for their healthcare and plenty of young minorities have kids to care for.

How blacks are affected and treated in this country absolutely affects their experiences attempting to get and maintain healthcare as well as their ability to care for their kids.

You realize it's more difficult to get birth control, healthcare, pain management, physical therapy, good schools, passable schools, money to feed those kids, ability to be found eligible for food stamps vs their counter parts in rural areas, or any other type of government assistance compared to their rural counterparts.

Then there is the criminalization of young black people.

Yeah identity politics are "a distraction".

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
:smugdog:

anime was right posted:

how loving terrible is the hillary campaign lmao

jesus, you have like the easiest edge in history and yet you continue to blow it. if anyone gets bernie as the nominee, or a republican in the white house, its going to be entirely because of her campaign

anime was right posted:

the debate will be hillary doing a bunch of word salad and then at the end of each word salad top it with a bit of "and my opponent is a failure since he declared bankruptcy four times" and trump will get a little annoyed and say stupid crap and somehow he'll go up in the polls and nothing matters

anime was right posted:

so is hillary winning in like every swing state but barely winning nationally a sign that she's just losing by higher %s in red states than she's winning in blue ones?

anime was right posted:

is clinton gonna run a good "hey vote for me and not against the other guy" ad this season or what

i still dont know what her like, theme or message is. because "not trump" is p zzz and will probably not motivate certain groups of voters.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

(i got a ton of poo poo wrong too but shhh)

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Princess Di posted:

Institutional racism.

If you don't have it behind you, you only have the power to be prejudiced not racist.

When did people agree on this new definition of the word "Racism"? I hear it a lot, but I never got the memo.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I am taking history as major in college right now and i feel the same way and i am thier age plus i need the healthcare. i feel likes its matter of them wanting to FEEL right and good, rather then actualy do things. plus more stuff i assume. when i have seen it's very rairly minority students, its well off white kids with a chip on their shoulder.

If you want a good time, start researching primary documents written by slave masters while you still have access to a university library. The 19th Century South was like if alt right dweebs were allowed to run society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Cubey posted:

sanders is good people and if he feels he's the only hope for the dems in 2020 i think he will do it even if it literally kills him

I think this is absolutely true. I also think that he's a shrewd and careful man, and will have people in place to take up and carry on if it does.

• Locked thread