Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

therobit posted:

Of curse not. OP is a big whiny baby.

does that mean he can get time off to take care of himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Pick posted:

does that mean he can get time off to take care of himself

hell, if that worked i'd never work a day again in my life

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

maskenfreiheit posted:

this was brought up in the thread as the only possible corn nugget.

OP said the boss said she'd allow a single father off too but it hasn't come up yet.

so no, not discrimination

Are they single moms tho?

I mean if they have it in pretty plain writing/emails they might legit have a case but regardless the OP is in fact a weenie.

putrid aidsman
Apr 13, 2017

by Lowtax

maskenfreiheit posted:

How do I flirt with girls and date a bunch of them at the same time ? (self.dating)

someone please pm me about tripps chick crack technique

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

maskenfreiheit posted:

How do I flirt with girls and date a bunch of them at the same time ? (self.dating)

Hell, how do I do this with one?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Unrelated I'm in Portland right now and all the legends are true. Understated, even.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

maskenfreiheit posted:

Piss diffuser.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Is it okay to have sex with my attorney before my court date & case is over? - MS

quote:

Hi... I was arrested for a [removed] related misdemeanor (I'm 24, college senior) and hired an attorney. My court date is still a month away. My case has gotten more and more involved as we've ended up having to file [removed] charges against other people involved. The other day my attorney (50s) and I ended up having a really wonderful talk for three or four hours. Since then we've been flirting, and he invited me to go on a trip with him *and some friends. I'm completely into him as a person (he was an athlete in college and incredibly fit) and really want to pursue this.

So far he's been very very neutral with his flirting and pretty much everything could be interpreted as just being overly friendly. I want to be more forward, but I don't want to necessarily put him in an uncomfortable position. Is it okay to have sex with my attorney, or will he be breaking some rule or expectation somewhere?

Edit: I'm not doing it, it's not against the law to ask or think about it. I don't know why you people want to criticize me for asking, when in the end it was this thread that talked me out of it... mental illness doesn't just fix itself, and people stop asking for help if they're treated like this.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Danaru posted:

Is it okay to have sex with my attorney before my court date & case is over? - MS

in most states the lawyer would get in trouble but this is mississippi so who knows

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Danaru posted:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

fruit on the bottom posted:

Unrelated I'm in Portland right now and all the legends are true. Understated, even.

I'll take you to coffe if you're bored

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My [30 F] mother [58 F] called me "inhumane" because I actually had to go to work.

quote:

So I work every Saturday, from 8am to 3pm. Today my mother would go shopping in a mall near my workplace, so I agreed to give her a ride. My workplace is a little far away from where I live (a 40-min long drive), so I have to leave home a little early if I want to get to work on time.

So today I was halfway there when my grandma called me on my cellphone. I'm a medical doctor, and she told me she had palpitations (her heart was beating really fast). I know for a fact my grandma doesn't have any condition or heart condition, and she's usually very anxious and she has palpitations quite often, but this time she said they were more severe.

I told my mother that it would be better if I went to work and my mom could go to my grandma's house and take her to the hospital, but my mother was shocked when I said that. I told that I had to get to work on time - not only because I can't get late to my shift, but because I am the head of the emergency room, in a hospital where I have to teach and tutor a few residents. If any severe case is admitted and I'm not there, the hospital supervisor may very well fire me and report me to the medical council in my country.

My mother said that my suggestion was ABSURD and that she wanted me to go to my grandma's house at that very moment. I had already driven halfway to work, I thought it was stupid to go back. But my mother got insane and basically started screaming in the car, that I was inhumane and I tried to reason with her saying that I HAD TO GO TO WORK.

Anyway, I went back to my grandmother's house, and I picked her up. Her heart pace was really fast, but she had no other real symptoms.

Meanwhile, I was trying to find anyone who could cover my shift - I texted many colleagues and none of them could. I tried to find a substitute because I wanted to be with my grandmother, but nobody would help me. I HAD to go to work.

That being said, I left my mother and my grandmother at the hospital (it's not the hospital where I work, because it's not covered by my grandma's insurance) and left my car with mother, and told her I'd leave my car with her in case any other emergencies came up and she needed the car; I would take an Uber to go to work (I was already late and had already called the hospital to warn them I had a family emergency and would arrive late).

Anyway, my mother started screaming again saying that I'm a horrible granddaughter and me, as a doctor, should show more compassion for my own family. I told her my grandma would be appropriately examined and treated at the hospital, but I HAD TO GO TO WORK.

When I got to the hospital where I work, I called my mother and she wouldn't answer the phone. Five hours later, when she finally answered it, I asked about my grandma and she said "Oh, as if you cared". Fortunately my grandma is doing fine and it was just a sinus tachycardia, alas, nothing serious. After work I went to my grandma's and my mother was there. My mother's been passive aggressive to me since then and has told my grandma all afternoon that I'm a horrible granddaughter.

Honestly, I don't know what to do. I understand that my mother was really worried about my grandma - and so was I - but to call me "inhumane" is a little too much. First, what I did was really that horrible? And two, how do I make my mother understand that I had to go to work, and if I skipped it I'd risk not only being fired, but also reported to the medical council?

tl;dr: My grandma had a medical emergency but I had to go to work and couldn't stay with her at the hospital. My mother called me inhumane for that and won't understand that I need my job and can't be fired.

Bonus round:

quote:

My grandma is pretty much okay about it. She herself told my mother I had to go to work and that she'd be fine.

My mother on the other hand is pretty pissed with me.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
My [24f] boyfriend [24m] is annoyed by my "fake", "forced", "damaging" cough. I'm annoyed that he basically scolds me every time I cough and won't believe ME about MY cough.Dating (self.relationships)

quote:

Background: My boyfriend used to be a smoker and believes that he may have exacerbated his smoker's cough by forcing his coughs back then. I do not smoke and have some mild scarring in the top of my lungs and part of my throat that means I'm sensitive to inhaling spices, allergies, etc. It doesn't happen all the time but it isn't exactly uncommon.

If something irritates my throat I usually do two to three short coughs and clear my throat, problem solved. I don't deep cough using my whole lungs or anything, just sorta the upper part of my lungs usually. My boyfriend thinks the fact that they're short and I clear my throat afterward means I'm coughing too hard. He admits I don't put my voice into the coughs and they aren't particularly loud. If I cough at what he thinks is a reasonable level I have to cough for longer and then end up coughing again, and again for several minutes and have to drink several glasses of water to get my throat to feel "clear".

I'm really tired of him sniping about it every. single. time. he overhears me cough. It's the same circular argument of him trying to teach me how to cough and me telling him to stop micromanaging my bodily functions. He's not nitpicking or controlling about anything else and the only reason he has given me for being so adamant about this is that it "isn't good for your throat". Leaving the room to cough doesn't work either because he can hear me anywhere in our thin-walled apartment and will bring it up.

I'm considering taking my boyfriend with me to the doctor to settle this once and for all but honestly I think I'd end up resenting I had to get "an adult" to tell my boyfriend to let me cough.

tl;dr; My boyfriend and I are bickering over my occasional cough and I don't know how to settle the issue once and for all.

edit: We've been dating for two years.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

maskenfreiheit posted:

My [24f] boyfriend [24m] is annoyed by my "fake", "forced", "damaging" cough. I'm annoyed that he basically scolds me every time I cough and won't believe ME about MY cough.Dating (self.relationships)

quit dating larry david

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Oh my gosh, what an utter dillweed

My [21 M] SO of 9 months [21 F] wants to try clubbing and crazy house parties, but I am not comfortable with it, need urgent advice.

quote:

u/poke1024
I got into a fight last night with my SO about her going to clubs and crazy house parties. She says she wants to try it at least once.

A lot of people I was close with are addicted to this lifestyle, so I believe it is very easy to get caught up in that life and I am very PTSD'ed by it. I don't want her to go down that road, especially cause she is very susceptible to peer pressure. I really love her but something like this is a deal breaker for me. I am really torn because I also don't want to make her feel like I don't want her to have fun.

tl;dr: SO wants to get turnt, I don't like it. What should i do?

Man, it must be tough for him to hear Scooter blaring out and get a thousand yard stare as he remembers the time he had to wait 20 minutes at the bar by the sticky bit. The horror, the horror...

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Lol you're 21 go to the clurb you dumb nerd.

This is like the origin story of "angry my wife told me weed makes her super horny" guy.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Mama Mia! is actually great, though.

Mama Mia! did dark, terrible, things to ABBA and the plot is "lol, my mom is a whore." It is not great, in my opinion.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Lol you're 21 go to the clurb you dumb nerd.

This is like the origin story of "angry my wife told me weed makes her super horny" guy.

i get not liking clubs but this guy is treating it like a substance abuse problem lol. also i don't know who doesn't like crazy house parties

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

blarzgh posted:

I had a case in bumfuck central Texas where a guy (who lived 50 miles away) was renting a house to some tenants, who eventually got tired of paying rent and decided, "Hey, here's a good idea: lets sue our landlord, claiming we own the house and that HE owes us rent!"

He never showed up because they served his papers by posting it to the door of the house he owned; the one THEY were living in. $10,000.00 judgment against him. It eventually got thrown out b/c defect in notice is grounds for throwing out a default judgment.

But, not before they filed bankruptcy in Mississippi, and listed the house as an asset (didn't tell him, or serve him), got a court order to liquidate, and then 'sold' the house themselves (no realtor) to this other family, and absconded with the down payment. My guy only finds out about all this because he drives down to do some repairs, and walks in on a family of people he'd never seen before.

This is why title insurance exists, but I am guessing this family is too dumb to get it.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

He's angling to minimize the chance of his girlfriend meeting anyone who is fun and interesting.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

I'll take you to coffe if you're bored

I'd take you up on that, but my whole day is pretty much family reunion stuff and then I leave tomorrow morning.

That and I drove down with my parents and I don't know if I really want to explain SA to them.

Still, I do appreciate the offer.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Looking forward to the homegrown r/relationships story brewing here.

Me (spiderwoman/f) politely turned down by goon(?m) over coffee. Should I mail him vintage skull fragments?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I'd take you up on that, but my whole day is pretty much family reunion stuff and then I leave tomorrow morning.

That and I drove down with my parents and I don't know if I really want to explain SA to them.

Still, I do appreciate the offer.

"well mom and dad, i'm meeting a lady from a dead gay internet comedy forum named 'pick.' she often posts about her unrequited love for an autistic man in a wheelchair or various tenets of her neo-puritan belief system. don't wait up,"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

"well mom and dad, i'm meeting a lady from a dead gay internet comedy forum named 'pick.' she often posts about her unrequited love for an autistic man in a wheelchair or various tenets of her neo-puritan belief system. don't wait upleave me alone with her,"

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

As a native born, now ex-portlander my city has become completely loving insufferable at some point in the last decade, so much so that I wonder if it was like that before I left and I just didn't notice without distance and years to give me perspective

Edit: going back for eclipse week, excited to see if there are still thousands of tents pitched on every green patch of ground in the city limits

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 13, 2017

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

"well mom and dad, i'm meeting a lady from a dead gay internet comedy forum named 'pick.' she often posts about her unrequited love for an autistic man in a wheelchair or various tenets of her neo-puritan belief system. don't wait up,"

"What's so great about the forums? Well, we're mostly for a man opening his rear end in a top hat to the world and raising thousands of dollars for a failed hotdog shack in Alabama"

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Me (spiderwoman/f) politely turned down by goon(?m) over coffee. Should I mail him vintage skull fragments?

Yes, yes you should.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
That would be rad, actually.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

"What's so great about the forums? Well, we're mostly for a man opening his rear end in a top hat to the world and raising thousands of dollars for a failed hotdog shack in Alabama"

"oh and there was at least one time we got subpoenaed by the secret service because somebody made ironic assassination threats against the president"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
How old do the skull fragments have to be to count as 'vintage'? Asking for a friend.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Haifisch posted:

How old do the skull fragments have to be to count as 'vintage'? Asking for a friend.

They need to predate the move to polymer skulls in the 80s.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

andrew smash posted:

As a native born, now ex-portlander my city has become completely loving insufferable at some point in the last decade, so much so that I wonder if it was like that before I left and I just didn't notice without distance and years to give me perspective

Edit: going back for eclipse week, excited to see if there are still thousands of tents pitched on every green patch of ground in the city limits

I was raised here but went somewhere else for college and then work and was gone with the exception of a few months from 2000-2007, spent a year here, and left again to Japan for a couple years. I was super strange when I came back during college after about a year of absence and found the brewery blocks torn down and a Diesel store in their place. And of course, the entire Pearl district being a neighborhood for rich assholes instead of a shooting gallery and graveyard of derelict warehouses. I liked the empty industrial space better.

Any time you ask a newcomer what brought them here they say "Well I just wanted to move to Portland, because it is Portland."

At least heroin is making a comeback.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

"oh and there was at least one time we got subpoenaed by the secret service because somebody made ironic assassination threats against the president"

"Pretty sure at least a few of us killed people. Oh, and there was that child molester. No, mom, they're GOOD people"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

"Pretty sure at least a few of us killed people. Oh, and there was that child molester. No, mom, they're GOOD people"

Yes, that mans grave has a video game boss on it and the mountain dew logo

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

really just show her that famous triticum guzzler post about forums proposals vs. reality

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Unironically, I've only had good experiences meeting people from Something Awful. So that in itself isn't a bad sign.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I hate these ones where the answer is an incredibly obvious'yes'

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Unironically, I've only had good experiences meeting people from Something Awful. So that in itself isn't a bad sign.

I had a guy who looks exactly like you'd expect a goon to approach me in a crowded room and loudly ask if I was Tubgirl Cosplay. Also a irl stairs in your house.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I had a guy who looks exactly like you'd expect a goon to approach me in a crowded room and loudly ask if I was Tubgirl Cosplay.

Well are you?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
No for sure, I just didn't leave anything open on my trip. Drove straight down to the reunion, driving back up in the morning, texting from the passenger seat, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

No for sure, I just didn't leave anything open on my trip. Drove straight down to the reunion, driving back up in the morning, texting from the passenger seat, etc.

i'm going to assume you're from washington and taking I-5, but i hope at some point you drive down US-101 through WA and OR, it's absolutely gorgeous