Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I see the Poles are making the first move this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Silver Alicorn posted:

scott mueller’s upgrading and repairing PCs had a little story about how the computers at the Mauna Kea observatory needed special hermetically sealed drives because commodity drives didn’t work at high altitude

indigi posted:

hmm, it'd be nice if Mueller could upgrade and repair our government

flakeloaf posted:

this also involves raising a piece of shiny metal to an extreme height, then lowering it again

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

the toilet isfeminism

peeing in the shower is cucking your toilet

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The toilet is American political discourse

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
:pants: :allears:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

I seem to remember it being funnier

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

I seem to remember it being funnier

There were a lot of variations on it

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

syscall girl posted:

There were a lot of variations on it

Look at the thread title... :ssh:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Look at the thread title... :ssh:

Oh. your. god.

:negative:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

syscall girl posted:

Oh. your. god.

:negative:

Hey, don't bring my God into this! :bahgawd:

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Paladinus posted:

'I want to get off'
-Mr. Bones, Wild Ride

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BiggerBoat posted:

Luke Cage, Black Panther, Falcon and Blade are the first 3 black superheroes I name off the top of my head and none of them are lightning based. OK, Storm, but she gets all the weather so that only kind of counts.

Jedit posted:

You named five, but I suppose in America they only count as three-fifths of a superhero each.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Well, goddamn

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Holy poo poo. :stare:

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
What????

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

What do you mean what? :aaaaa:

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

its cool that he could be ignorant due to being nonamerican, or ignorant due to being an american.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Normal Adult Human posted:

its cool that he could be ignorant due to being nonamerican, or ignorant due to being an american.

She, and now I see it. Didn't read the right quote (3/5)

Sorry

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

don't apologise to the PYF denizens, you'll give them airs

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm sorry, but what?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Sagebrush posted:

it was a generically popular meme on 4chan for years and 4chan's /pol board has been a central structure in the formation of the alt-right. I assume they just co-opted a symbol they were already used to seeing and using in their political discourse.

the :frogout: frog is a far better meme anyway

Plus Pepe got co-opted by the 4channers "ironically" voting for Trump in the name of chaos, turning him into Kek, the Egyptian, frog-based god of chaos and discord.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Anyone have that quote from D&D about a goon going to a chess tournament and making up bullshit rules and getting everyone mad?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Choco1980 posted:

Plus Pepe got co-opted by the 4channers "ironically" voting for Trump in the name of chaos, turning him into Kek, the Egyptian, frog-based god of chaos and discord.

Discordia?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The worst submarine posted:

Anyone have that quote from D&D about a goon going to a chess tournament and making up bullshit rules and getting everyone mad?

It was referring to Victor, IIRC

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Who What Now posted:

It was referring to Victor, IIRC
Awful strange way of spelling Fishmech

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

hurrrr2 posted:

A better analogy would be if someone walks into a championship tournament, says "GEE I THINK I MAY HAVE TRANSCENDED THE UNDERSTANDING OF SOME OF YOU GRANDMASTERS HERE, WANT TO JOIN MY NEW SCHOOL OF CHESS STRATEGY?", then loses by scholar's mate twice in the first round.

This person then refuses to leave his seat, claiming that he needs additional proof that the queen in f7 actually ontologically exists before he will admit defeat, and that the rules of the CHESS ESTABLISHMENT were unfairly biased against him by disallowing the possibility of his king being able to leapfrog pieces.

Then he pulls out an ancient shopping list from 1905 and claims that "1. Eggs" means 'The King', "2. Butter" means 'can', and "3. Milk" means 'leapfrog'. This is admissible evidence for his case because he has lived according to the dictates of this list since he was a teenager, and it has drastically improved his quality of life. When the referees tell him that this makes no loving sense, he drags them into a three hour debate over the precise meaning of the words 'makes', 'no', 'loving', and 'sense'.

When people point out that there is more than enough evidence to suggest his list is just a scrap of paper from some long-dead housewife's purse, he rather proudly points out how close-minded they are in dismissing outright the possibility that the list was in fact a secret coded message on the best way to live life, originally formulated by Atlanteans and passed down through the ages disguised as everyday documents. After all, if one starts with the presupposition that such a document exists, then it would be very fair to argue that it is indeed in the form of his shopping list.

Never mind that his previous interpretations of the list led to three convictions and time served for robbery, hate crimes, and murder. These were just unfortunate misinterpretations on his part of the list's true intentions, he says. The list itself is blameless. In fact, the Atlanteans deliberately obfuscated the true meaning of the list in this way, so that it would require multiple failed misinterpretations before one would happen across its TRUE meaning, and in doing so appreciate it all the more.

In fact, he does have some evidence to back up his claims. Why, just last week during his daily meditation on the list, he felt it telling him that something good was about to happen in his future. And yesterday, wouldn't you know it, he found a twenty dollar note on the sidewalk! Evidence of the list's prophetic powers if I ever saw one. And believe him, he has many more stories where that came from.

By now, the debate has splintered off into innumerable tangents, with the one man against literally every other player and referee present at the tournament. Finally, he graciously accepts the possibility of defeat in some of the myriad topics now being covered. OK, maybe the tallest player doesn't always get to go first. Fine, I will concede that there isn't much evidence to support my third-invisible-knight hypothesis. But that's all irrelevant. What he wants to concentrate on, and what nobody has yet been able to disprove, he adds, is the ability of the king to leapfrog over other pieces.

The argument drags on for weeks. Finally, one afternoon, the beet-faced referee exhausts his last reserves of decency and throws his arms up in frustration and despair. "YOU loving RETARD, HOW CAN YOU LAY CLAIM TO KNOWING ANYTHING ABOUT CHESS STRATEGY WHEN YOU DON'T EVEN GRASP THE MOST BASIC RULES!?" He shouts, just as a new entrant walks through the door. "I'm sorry," replies the man calmly, "I simply cannot discuss the rules of chess with such an 'official' if you insist on using such strong and uncouth language. Please retract your insults or I will be forced to plug my ears whenever you say anything from now on."

Seeing only this last exchange, the new entrant pipes up. "He's right, you know. If he did something wrong, then you as the referee have every right to tell him he is so, but it should be done with a patient and thorough explanation of the details of his error. Hurling ridicule at him solves nothing and won't change anyone's mind."

The lazy eye of the retarded List-following, King-leapfrogging man twitches almost unnoticeably, as he cranes his head towards the source of this new voice. A welcoming smile cracks, inch by beaming inch, across his face. He licks his lips. He clears his throat.

"So glad to know decent people like you still value a polite discussion. Care for a game?"

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Hesitantly, I ask if anyone has the context for that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Hesitantly, I ask if anyone has the context for that.

From the same text-file I had that saved to:

Threads:
A Christian Call to Action
A Christian Call to Action, Continued

hurrrr² is the OP of the second one.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Kenny Logins posted:

Awful strange way of spelling Fishmech

No, I was right

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Sagebrush posted:

it was a generically popular meme on 4chan for years and 4chan's /pol board has been a central structure in the formation of the alt-right. I assume they just co-opted a symbol they were already used to seeing and using in their political discourse.

Pepe memes like "feels good man" and "feels bad man" had escaped 4chan, and "normies" had started using them. Channers, who strongly identified with their version of Pepe (a depressed incel, versus the original friendly easygoing frog dude), spread the hoax that they were secret white supremacist memes — as they had already successfully done with trollface — to make them distasteful to the successful and attractive normies who didn't need or deserve the memes (and were "using them wrong" anyway), and kill their commercial value before some poo poo like a Meme Movie happened (a laudable goal, actually, and probably what they have in mind when they say that "conservativism is the new punk rock"). At some point, the hoax became real, in the now familiar process of death of irony

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

hackbunny posted:

Pepe memes like "feels good man" and "feels bad man" had escaped 4chan, and "normies" had started using them. Channers, who strongly identified with their version of Pepe (a depressed incel, versus the original friendly easygoing frog dude), spread the hoax that they were secret white supremacist memes — as they had already successfully done with trollface — to make them distasteful to the successful and attractive normies who didn't need or deserve the memes (and were "using them wrong" anyway), and kill their commercial value before some poo poo like a Meme Movie happened (a laudable goal, actually, and probably what they have in mind when they say that "conservativism is the new punk rock"). At some point, the hoax became real, in the now familiar process of death of irony

Wait, the troll face guy is a white supremacy thing? What?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Spanish Manlove posted:

Wait, the troll face guy is a white supremacy thing? What?

It's not, never was, but I read that they came up with that hoax to prevent it from becoming mainstream. Pepe went through the same process, but ended up becoming mainstream the other way around, and it stuck

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

hackbunny posted:

I hate that I understand all of this.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Hey guys, hope no-one co-opts me for any dumb political poo poo.
/

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

A lot of the 4chan hoax was people joking about being Nazis to hide the fact that they really were Nazis.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

rodbeard posted:

A lot of the 4chan hoax was people joking about being Nazis to hide the fact that they really were Nazis.

Na, they're not Nazis, they're just German Nihilists.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Na, they're not Nazis, they're just German Nihilists.

That sounds exhausting.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Paladinus posted:

Hey guys, hope no-one co-opts me for any dumb political poo poo.
/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i'm part of it but it's not my joke

A Major Fucker posted:

is he talking about hoew he wants to gently caress your sweet cute pussy

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

no but someone else pmd me about wanting to gently caress my rear end

which is close

A Major Fucker posted: