Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

moose face posted:

I really like how there's a decent probability that we might all die and that theres this weird acceptance and often a longing for it. Like meh whatever we'll just all die lol

This is a symptom of people in America becoming nihilistic because they lack a value structure. Religion used to serve that purpose. People haven’t replaced it well enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

Outrail posted:

Real talk, does he think he's being 'presidential'? As in does he think his behavior is on the same level as any of the past 45 presidents?

e: 44 presidents. Shouldn;t we have had more than that? It's like 2023 or something right?

trump doesn't think things

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Wait, did I miss Trump saying something boneheaded about the 11th school shooting this year?

that article title is a lol

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Tenacious J posted:

This is a symptom of people in America becoming nihilistic because they lack a value structure. Religion used to serve that purpose. People haven’t replaced it well enough.

i'm not a nihilist i'm an annihilationist

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Tenacious J posted:

it could have been VR

and then Palmer Luckey gave money away to autistic awareness by making us aware that he and his friends were all autistic trump supporters and we decided humanity was forfeit

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Wait, did I miss Trump saying something boneheaded about the 11th school shooting this year?

Copy cat shootings are such a problem that people think that sensationalism in the media causes a few itself. Just like how they now say "the death was not suspicious" after a suicide to prevent a wave of more suicides.

I never would have thought they would be desensationalised because they became so mundane and boring

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Tenacious J posted:

Wrong

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
we have a value structure, it's just that accumulating wealth is its sole virtue

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

this is the only trump tweet that makes me question whether he really is a genius

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

FuhrerHat posted:

this is the only trump tweet that makes me question whether he really is a genius

It's like a catapult that allows you to fling poo poo at random strangers.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Man, I can't believe you guys decided the guy who plays a boss on television should be boss of the whole country. I just realised the significance of that right now. Like wow! that is powerfully dumb

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Turns out a country built on racism really really couldn’t handle a brown guy being the boss whoda thunk it

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

Turns out a country built on racism really really couldn’t handle a brown guy being the boss whoda thunk it

he wasnt brown he was dijon (even worse (sad!))

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Love how quaint the political discourse at the time now seems.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I was getting a little personally nervous about the immigrants being deported thing because I immigrated here as a kid but then realized that I came here from Iceland and I'm super duper white so lol

Lol.

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/22/578930256/undocumented-irish-unexpectedly-caught-in-trumps-immigration-dragnet

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I really don't like to attribute everything to race war centric explanations. Sure racial tensions inform a lot of things, but I think it has really dark implications when everyone starts immediately using race as the primary cause of everything.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Moon Atari posted:

Man, I can't believe you guys decided the guy who plays a boss on television should be boss of the whole country. I just realised the significance of that right now. Like wow! that is powerfully dumb

In a rational world, you'd want an experienced pilot to fly your plane, or a real doctor to operate on your balls. Instead, almost half of the country thought that this sack of rancid poo poo is a legit choice to lead the most powerful country on the planet.

Lol

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Moon Atari posted:

I really don't like to attribute everything to race war centric explanations. Sure racial tensions inform a lot of things, but I think it has really dark implications when everyone starts immediately using race as the primary cause of everything.

Dark implications huh?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

withoutclass posted:

Dark implications huh?

Like violent race war without purpose. Like people get so mad at racial differences in so many contexts that they stop actually trying to achieve beneficial aims and instead just gently caress each other up even more severely.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

cda posted:

If you're a trophy, it would feel pretty bad to get moved to the back of the shelf for a shinier, more fuckable trophy

If the money's still rolling in and it means less/no more loving your grotesque orange lardo of a husband that seems like a pretty good deal to me.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Holy poo poo, some 15y old kid stabbed a 14y old classmate to death here in Germany(he was talking poo poo about his mother) and it has been national front page news for two days now. I can't imagine what the gently caress 11+ school shootings per month even means. This is insane. This is not fine.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Burt Sexual posted:

Where is the quote from?

It's from an interview with a German college professor in They thought they were free - the Germans 1933-45 by Milton Meyer.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Hmmm, as any proper Anglo-Saxon should know, the Irish aren't white...

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Holy poo poo, some 15y old kid stabbed a 14y old classmate to death here in Germany(he was talking poo poo about his mother) and it has been national front page news for two days now. I can't imagine what the gently caress 11+ school shootings per month even means. This is insane. This is not fine.

Blaming Samsung!

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Lol America is dying

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress u sammo hung!!

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Jukebox Hero posted:

Lol America is dying

On one hand it's really sad that the common response to this is lol or apathy. On the other hand death to America.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I'm loling about Israel making the lady journalists stand behind the men journalists on Pence's visit to the wall and Israel saying "what's the problem, this is how we did it for Trump too!"

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Yeah, good luck with that.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I think he's referring to Trump clarifying that yes he is a moron.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the article is framing it as that guy being a fan, when it is clear he is a doctor who wants to diagnose trump.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/956123173807906816?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E1

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hey just part and parcel of living in the big city vOv

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

In what world do two people alone have 50 thousand texts?

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/956134228726558720

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
It doesn't matter whether it's feasible or realistic, they just need some bullshit line to swallow.

Donald Trump gets caught having sex with a dead dog -> OBAMA PLANTS MIND CONTROL DOG CORPSE IN STREET, TRUMP SEDUCED BY SINISTER STENCH, BY THE WAY HE'S TOTALLY TOO MENTALLY STRONG TO BE MIND CONTROLLED ANYWAY

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

TontoCorazon posted:

In what world do two people alone have 50 thousand texts?

Probably talking a lot in single words and very short sentences, emoji or reaction images. Each text is a single utterance rather than a full conversation so it probably adds up pretty quickly.

Chernobyl baby
Jul 19, 2011
I'm not so worried about America dying. I'm worried about the dead-end nationalist and fascist ideology taking hold and all the decent people fleeing, leaving only the mentally unstable with a lot of nukes and guns to then find a convenient target* to blame for the cultural and economic decline

*((target))

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer

Lpzie posted:

that boy ain't right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

lol did anyone post the video of reporters in the White House yesterday yet (can't find a link to the video, sorry)? In his first public appearance since the shutdown, the President was asked about Mueller and just said "He'll do a good job" and "We'll see how it all works out" and "We're looking at a lot of things" as Hope Hicks scrambled back and forth in front of reporters, shooing them out of the Oval Office. Apropos of nothing, after a long pause, "There won't be a trade war, by the way!"