Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Galaxy Brain posted:

Official r/r thread opinions:

1. Boobies are for tittyfucking only and any other use should be illegal
2. Any time a man does something wrong it's his woman's fault for not stopping him hard enough
3. Any time a woman expresses a preference her man feels she shouldn't have, it's because there's something wrong with her
4. Any problem a woman has that a man hasn't heard of is just something she's making up for attention
5. Women just need to communicate more, jeez!

Goddamnit just because the usual suspects said some dumb poo poo doesn't make it the thread consensus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Galaxy Brain posted:

Official r/r thread opinions:

1. Boobies are for tittyfucking only and any other use should be illegal
2. Any time a man does something wrong it's his woman's fault for not stopping him hard enough
3. Any time a woman expresses a preference her man feels she shouldn't have, it's because there's something wrong with her
4. Any problem a woman has that a man hasn't heard of is just something she's making up for attention
5. Women just need to communicate more, jeez!

generalizations are okay when I make them

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

tactlessbastard posted:

Goddamnit just because the usual suspects said some dumb poo poo doesn't make it the thread consensus

Like, I was just confused that one poster said "oh yeah women are shamed all the time against breastfeeding in public" when in my experience it's the opposite with clearly designated areas where it's ok. SF just passed a city ordinance that every single employer has to provide an acceptable breastfeeding area.

Galaxy Brain seems to have been very upset by this observation and is deciding to invent stuff that could have been said and if it had been said would be very bad :shrug:

Galaxy Brain
Dec 13, 2017

by Lowtax

tactlessbastard posted:

You should take a good honest look at the gender breakdown of who is determined to be at fault every time somebody posts a quote.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Like, I was just confused that one poster said "oh yeah women are shamed all the time against breastfeeding in public" when in my experience it's the opposite with clearly designated areas where it's ok. SF just passed a city ordinance that every single employer has to provide an acceptable breastfeeding area.

Galaxy Brain seems to have been very upset by this observation and is deciding to invent stuff that could have been said and if it had been said would be very bad :shrug:

"This problem doesn't exist because I haven't seen it" is a dumb and bad thing to say, yes, and it's something men have been saying to women in this thread every single time a woman's issue comes up. Just because progress has been made in small pockets of the country doesn't mean there isn't and never was a problem.

What's that RBG quote about umbrellas?

Galaxy Brain fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 20, 2018

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

tactlessbastard posted:

Yeah. I’d at least clean up some of the language in the bill to make things less ambiguous and do a straw poll in D&D first.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Babies do not die if you don't breast feed them in public, there are appropriate private areas to do them in like we take other distasteful bodily functions.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I suspect some women breastfeed in private because they don't want to expose themselves, and some other women just don't care about that. And I can understand some people don't want to see the intimate bits of people in public. What I don't understand is how anyone can be disgusted by it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

SirSamVimes posted:

So what are you saying that she should use pre pumped milk at all times just in case someone pops by?

Are you surprised he's endorsing a boob keurig

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
GB, your approach is all wrong, men are emotional beings and aren’t swayed by numbers or hard evidence. Their brains aren’t set up for it

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

COMRADES posted:

Why?

I grew up seeing art of Madonna and Child so legit I don't understand what the problem is why are Americans so weird and prude about stuff like this? I mean I get you, you're a gay dude so already you hate titties but like....... she's in her own house with a 5 day old baby?

TBH it sounds like what the issue in the story is that the OP is a mom who is realistic about the trevails of being a mom which means the mailman can see you breastfeeding your kid sometimes because the baby can't wait. She's okay with it and it sounds like the mailman is okay with it too. It's only her """friend""" that freaked out about it and if he's freaking out about it then it's because he's an irrational child that never grew up.

Most Americans are actually pretty cool with this stuff and also grew up seeing Serious Art. Three Olives is being foolish.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ham Sandwiches posted:

typical liberal assuming a coastal city is representative of the entire country

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Galaxy Brain posted:

You should take a good honest look at the gender breakdown of who is determined to be at fault every time somebody posts a quote.

There's a couple notable posters who will agree with literally every woman in the story, if the lady cheated the posters will make stuff up not mentioned in the story like abuse.

There's a couple notable posters who will agree with literally ever man in the story, even if the guy did something horrible it'll either be downplayed or there will be attempts to justify it.

Everything else comes across pretty neutral imo, if all you see is one category it's probably cause you belong to the other.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Pick posted:

GB, your approach is all wrong, men are emotional beings and aren’t swayed by numbers or hard evidence. Their brains aren’t set up for it

This is actually true though. You know account sharing is a bannable offense, right? Who is this?!?!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Leon Einstein posted:

The post says nothing about her being a mentee when she was underage, does it? Youth pastors deal with young adults too.
In my experience (mainline Protestant), youth pastors deal 100% with children and not with young adults. It might max out at middle school or it might max out at high school, but I've never seen youth programs encompass people post-HS. If anything, if the church was big enough, there'd be a separate young singles program. But "youth pastor" means they're in charge of kids, not adults.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Babies do not die if you don't breast feed them in public, there are appropriate private areas to do them in like we take other distasteful bodily functions.

Private places like your own home

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Three Olives posted:

"Come in, the door is unlocked! Sorry, I'm taking a poo poo but feel free to make yourself comfortable until I get out of the bathroom!"

I never understand why people compare feces to breast milk; one of these substances is food and the other is literal human waste. That is absolutely not a valid comparison in the slightest.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

HIJK posted:

She's okay with it and it sounds like the mailman is okay with it too.

They actually added "sucked on titties" to the mailman creed right after "gloom of night".

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

rear end cobra posted:

Argue about short hair on girls instead

My boyfriend [21M] hates my [21F]haircut but everyone else loves it...

My girlfriend had short hair for a long while and it was cute as hell. Short hair for women is very trendy these days too. What a dumbass. He has no idea how good he has it.

Galaxy Brain
Dec 13, 2017

by Lowtax

Skutter posted:

I never understand why people compare feces to breast milk; one of these substances is food and the other is literal human waste. That is absolutely not a valid comparison in the slightest.

Misogynists spread the idea that everything related to a woman's body is filthy and shameful.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

dudeness posted:

They actually added "sucked on titties" to the mailman creed right after "gloom of night".

brb applying to be the post office

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
If you feel strongly enough about breastfeeding in public just knock the baby out of their arms and tell them to take that bullshit elsewhere.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

Three Olives posted:

And yet you insist on posting where we can read it.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dienes posted:

They are just having a meal like everyone else in the restaurant, dude.

Tbh I don't like it when people bring little rear end kids into restaurants on a Fri or Saturday night during dinner rush in general. I don't ever say anything to them about it ofc it just bugs me.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

dudeness posted:

If Charles Bukowski is to be believed, titties are a very real hazard encountered by mail carriers.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the one thing i'll give three olives is that it's slightly less stupid to be a gay dude grossed out by the natural body functions of a woman than the number of straight men who will sex a lady all day every day but need the fainting couch if they even hear the word 'period'

it's still pretty loving stupid, though

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Three Olives posted:

Some women have jobs without designated places to breastfeed. Some women have to breastfeed their kid out of nowhere while at a grocery store or movie theatre. It's also none of your goddamn business and purely up to the woman breastfeeding her kid.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

So what are you saying that she should use pre pumped milk at all times just in case someone pops by?

quote:

A friend of mine that I've known for the past 5 years called, asking if he could come over today at about noon

I would assume/hope that she does have pre-pumped milk for various occasions that might warrant it which includes I told my friend he could come over.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Galaxy Brain posted:

"This problem doesn't exist because I haven't seen it" is a dumb and bad thing to say, yes, and it's something men have been saying to women in this thread every single time a woman's issue comes up. Just because progress has been made in small pockets of the country doesn't mean there isn't and never was a problem.

If someone makes an offhand quote that women are regularly shamed for breastfeeding in public, on the basis of what seems to be nothing, when it's not really a widely held belief, then I'm going to throw out that it doesn't match my experience.

Can you provide some more information about who is running this campaign against women, is it like christian people that are banning breastfeeding in public for the sexuality? Is it an organized campaign in lots of states? Have there been lots of laws passed against it?

I googled around and 49 / 51 states let you breastfeed in public, are people getting prosecuted for it?

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

the one thing i'll give three olives is that it's slightly less stupid to be a gay dude grossed out by the natural body functions of a woman than the number of straight men who will sex a lady all day every day but need the fainting couch if they even hear the word 'period'

it's still pretty loving stupid, though

I will never understand how straight men can simultaneously be obsessed with the idea of sticking their dingdong in a vagina but also thoroughly disgusted by vaginas. Especially the ones that are terrified of wrapped, unused tampons.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Some women have jobs without designated places to breastfeed. Some women have to breastfeed their kid out of nowhere while at a grocery store or movie theatre. It's also none of your goddamn business and purely up to the woman breastfeeding her kid.

It's called a bathroom stall, they in fact have them everywhere for privately engaging in bodily functions.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Three Olives posted:

I would assume/hope that she does have pre-pumped milk for various occasions that might warrant it which includes I told my friend he could come over.

so if we're to follow your analogy do you throw your guests out when you have to use the bathroom

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pvt.Scott posted:

This is actually true though. You know account sharing is a bannable offense, right? Who is this?!?!

I am genuinely shocked no one thought GB was an alt of mine, but as I've said before and is the god's truth, I have no alts or parachutes. There is only Pick :shrug:.

Galaxy Brain
Dec 13, 2017

by Lowtax
Oh poo poo 3O is this your roommate

Me [21F] with gay roommate [30s M] of 2 months, his casual misogyny, butt-slapping and rudeness are bothering me

This guy Steve moved into our apartment at the beginning of December but was rarely here until January started. He's a man in his thirties who also goes to school. We live with two other women in their early twenties--it bears mentioning that both of them are a little more "easygoing" than me. He's gay, which I'm mentioning because I've definitely had experiences with gay men who think that certain social rules i/r/t respecting women don't apply to them. He seemed really nice and shy at first but I'm getting really pissed off at his casual misogyny, mostly in terms of touching me without permission and making sexual jokes about me.

Points of interest:

The other day I was putting my boots on using the chair as leverage and he walked by and slapped my rear end. I was really surprised and was like "dude what the gently caress" because...that's not okay. I don't really do physical contact with people as is.

Makes gross sexual jokes about me, e.g. our sink makes this nasty suction sound and he's been like "hey that's the sound that AssSlapThrowaway's rear end in a top hat makes"...he's made similar jokes along these lines and they're not really funny

He's called me a bitch before in an 'endearing way'

This morning I was eating a piece of toast and some veggie scramble (using a fork to put it on the toast) and he told me I "eat like a pig". I was ice cold and told him to gently caress off and that he was being rude, and he was like "I'm just telling the truth" and didn't apologize....? I have an ED history and am paranoid about people seeing me eat as is so I probably just won't eat in the common space anymore.

How do I draw a firm line that this kind of poo poo makes me uncomfortable? Even if it's okay with my roommates (and I've never seen him act this way toward them!!!), it's definitely not okay with me. I feel like I'm supposed to "lighten up" and deal with his annoying personality, but I should be able to feel comfortable in my house.

tldr: Gay dude roommate slapped my rear end, calls me a bitch, told me I eat like a pig and makes sexual jokes about me. It makes me really uncomfortable and I'm not sure what to do.

Galaxy Brain
Dec 13, 2017

by Lowtax

Ham Sandwiches posted:

If someone makes an offhand quote that women are regularly shamed for breastfeeding in public, on the basis of what seems to be nothing, when it's not really a widely held belief, then I'm going to throw out that it doesn't match my experience.

Can you provide some more information about who is running this campaign against women, is it like christian people that are banning breastfeeding in public for the sexuality? Is it an organized campaign in lots of states? Have there been lots of laws passed against it?

I googled around and 49 / 51 states let you breastfeed in public, are people getting prosecuted for it?

Jesus christ, gently caress you dude, no, I will not cite my sources for The Female Experience. Take a break from anime tiddies and learn a little about the world you live in.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Galaxy Brain posted:

Jesus christ, gently caress you dude, no, I will not cite my sources for The Female Experience. Take a break from anime tiddies and learn a little about the world you live in.

Lol so you're 100% making stuff up to post generic "gbs hates women" posts, got it

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
As we all know, once something is made legal all stigma around it completely disappears forever and societal attitudes change overnight and there are no more problems with the thing ever again

Jesus Christ

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
you need women to feed babies so they grow up to be the 16-year-old twink you shitcan your husband for

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

so if we're to follow your analogy do you throw your guests out when you have to use the bathroom

I would assume if she had let him in fully clothed and politely excused herself for a moment, you know, as well mannered people do when they need to engage in private business that it would not be an issue.

In my experience when people have guests over they do not announce "I need to take a poo poo, I'll be right back" in the middle of a social engagement much less leave the door open during it.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 20, 2018

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

COMRADES posted:

Tbh I don't like it when people bring little rear end kids into restaurants on a Fri or Saturday night during dinner rush in general. I don't ever say anything to them about it ofc it just bugs me.

Valentines day I was out on a nice date with the gf at a decently upscale sushi restaurant, packed with couples. There was one family with a screeching toddler that was wailing for a solid 5-10 minutes, not like baby crying but active tantrum for attention testing out the capacity of their lungs 3 year old. Eventually the mother took him outside and there was an audible sigh of relief from the entire restaurant, at this point he was screaming for his daddy still at the table. She came back in 30 seconds later, toddler still belting at the top of their lungs. A few minutes later the dad took him out, this time he was yelling for his mom, which was kind of funny.

Dad stayed outside until the mom finished up and paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

you need women to feed babies so they grow up to be the 16-year-old twink you shitcan your husband for

Sorry, this is wrong to say. I know it's wrong.

"for which you shitcan your husband"