Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Just send them pictures of clean hallways and windows, say the actual cleaning is still in alpha but you plan to release dirt culling very soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
July Set 5

Scruffpuff posted:

The general public's ignorance of video games is a large part of the reason CIG is able to lie in court. "Look, your honor, a substantial part of the game has been delivered." Where is the judge who'll look at the reality of what CIG has produced and say "Wait a minute, this is hot poo poo! This is like those fake games put together for television episodes that feature video games but don't want to pay for the license to show a real one! Get the gently caress out of my courtroom!"

Those judges do not exist. Hence CIG can lie in court and get away with it. That is, until you bring in expert testimony, which will be countered by CIG's own "expert" liars. Then again, it will be up to the judge to determine who's telling the truth, and yet again, their ignorance will make that difficult if not impossible.

Chris Roberts really found a great way to steal.

Scruffpuff posted:

I'd like to take this time to reflect on how inept Chris Roberts is and how little he has accomplished while saving PC Gaming.

- He promises a new Wing Commander game, with a multiplayer element, which explodes somehow into an MMO. Fine.
- He then immediately gets into a motion capture studio and starts filming as if the game's existence is a foregone conclusion. Tens of millions of dollars is lost.
- Tons of high-fidelity but unoptimized models are released that do not work.
- CGI trailers are released regularly that have no bearing on anything.
- A barely functioning model-viewer is released to the public and claimed to be a pre-alpha state game.
- No game is actually made.
- Early days.
- Moons.

Spiderdrake posted:

I can feel the Scruffpuff flow through me whenever people talk about upcoming ship promotions

“We have (ship not in game) and (ship not in game) for players to (mechanic not in game)

Tune in later this week so you can buy (the newest not flyable ship)”

No refunds!

Maltloaf posted:

This game is never going to make it. Never.

Necros posted:

:reddit: posted:

Join me in spending more cash, not because I want to help development any longer, but just to see if we can literally cause a hater to have a brain aneurysm.

Cause that's where I am at now, I'm spending just to hurt the haters.

A nerd stands in front of his computer alternating between burning $100 bills and punching himself in the mouth. The glow of blue LEDs illuminate his bruised and battered face. Blood drips from his nose as he yells at his collection of LCD monitors; "I'M DOING THIS *wham* TO HURT *wham* THE HATERS!!!".

Sandweed posted:

I don't see anything groundbreaking in Star Citizen whatsoever, especially on the project management front. What do you consider to be phenonemal, if I may ask?

The scale alone is worthy of praise, that is an accomplishment in itself, the "map" size is simply immense. The amount of persistent objects on top of that makes it stand head and shoulders above any other video game I can think of.
If you're not blown away by the technical marvel of a solar system with planets that orbit, spin, and allow players to explore them, then you're very hard to please.

The moons don't orbit though.

Beet Wagon posted:

The funny thing about the "I bet they got money from Amazon/Crytek/Jesus" fantasy is it doesn't even matter. Unless they received like another $200 million dollars no strings attached, they're still on borrowed time in the long run. Even the most optimistic redditors are still bracing themselves for another 3-5 years of development, and it's been years since they brought in more than they were spending on salaries and poo poo.

Amazon could have literally cut them a $20 million check and it wouldn't change a loving thing lol

Mr.Tophat posted:

Consumer protections are two part protecting the customer from predatory practices, and protecting the customer from themselves. I'm absolutely allowed to laugh and pity people who can't protect themselves when it comes to falling for the stunning trap of buying a $1000 jpeg, and I am absolutely allowed to be gleeful as the predatory business falls victim to it's own mission statement that, "it's never been done before," as it devours itself in ever more ravenous bites.

The small steps are tragic, the bigger picture is hilarious.

Scruffpuff posted:

This isn't a Theranos situation where it seemed reasonable until you dug into the concept, this isn't the situation where that guy said he could make you breathe underwater with a nose clip that preyed on scientific ignorance, this isn't an investment scam where the average person just has no idea and relies on trust. CIG has been recording their scam on video and broadcasting it from the beginning. With every single red flag fully visible and waved proudly at all times.

Scruffpuff posted:

quote:

Gaming media who shilled hard or stayed silent are complicit in the deceptive marketing. They need to take a stance on bullshots, scripted/fake gameplay, unrealistic promises, etc.

:agreed:

If there's one thing I've harped on repeatedly over the years, it was the gaming media reporting CIG's claims as actual foregone conclusions, when they hadn't earned that level of trust. Typically you can extend a certain amount of credit to an established company. If Ubisoft tells you they're working on Far Cry 6, and it will take place in Australia and let you ride in kangaroo pouches or something, you can pretty much go ahead and report that. It's not a big stretch to think they're very likely to have what they said. They've earned that.

When you report "Star Citizen is going to have capital ship battles with seamless boarding and FPS combat while nimble single-seater fighters zip around and it's all real with no loading screens or transitions and oh also it's 1000 people" - it is not okay to just report that. CIG has delivered nothing and has zero shipped titles to its name, and it headed by someone with an established history of failing at this exact endeavor. That's where the media was complicit: treating CIG like a game development studio like any other. It should have been repeatedly mentioned that this was a startup company, who was claiming that they wanted to do such and such a thing; not that they would do it, which is what they reported.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Imagine you live in the 1800's USA. You meet an old-timey salesman and gold prospector. He tells you that he knows about some land down California way which is rich with gold in the hills, and all the land can be purchased by you, right now. All you need to do is give him some few thousands to finance the sale and open the land up for commerce and mining. With the money, he promises to build a railroad track which will link the gold rich land to the east coast and is also going to populate the railroad with the best locomotives that can be designed with the days technology. Many people join in, excited about all the adventure and gold they will get.

6 years later you go to see the prospector. He tells you all about the railroad company he has setup and is allegedly constructing the track to California. He refuses to tell you how much track he has laid or how long it will take to finish. You realize that the company is run by his wife and they work out of an overpriced storefront building in New York City with ornate and expensive doors. While inside, you see they are actually working on a steamboat, not anything related to the railroad and train you were promised. The prospector tells you that the steamboat will come first, and the sale of it will provide the funding to finish the railroad which you already financed.

He then takes you to his New Jersey Estate. He shows you that he has actually constructed a 2 mile loop of track in the field behind his house. On it is an old locomotive leaking oil. Several billboards have been crudely erected along the length which shows poorly painted California landscapes. He tells you that this is where your money has been going, and that this track right here is already better than most tracks which are in operation throughout the country.

It is fake in that they're selling a universe simulation with instances meshed within instances allowing for dozens of people to have FPS battles aboard capital ships that are fighting other capital ships all crewed by additional dozens of players and NPCs, a universe simulation where there are eight NPCs for every player all capable of fulfilling the same dozens of professions and roles, a universe simulation with one hundred solar systems at launch, and yet what they actually have after six years of development is a single large multiplayer map with rudimentary AI and shaky netcode. There is no universe, there is no MMO, they're hoping to figure out basic FPS AI soon and they just recently added simple moon surface mining in their seventh year of development.

The miraculous, technologically revolutionary MMO Chris Roberts has described in dozens of videos and interviews is indeed fake. The PU is a facade. Saying 3.0 is a solid step towards the promised universe simulation is like saying a single brown pixel that could be a part of Mario's moustache is a solid step towards Mario Bros.

Sarsapariller posted:

https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/1019580148507664384

"Glad that there won't be any more refunds!" Says man who has invested 50,000 dollars in video game, unironically.

Zaphod42 posted:

Imagine being a player trapped in space floating around with gently caress-all to do until some player happens to bump into you IN SPACE Odds of this occurring should be astronomical

NONE of these game designs have been through-through AT ALL. Holy loving poo poo!

In order for "flying up to players who are stuck in space" to be a thing, players have to be able to be trapped in space. That's SO loving AWFUL. But now they can't playtest it and figure out that being stuck in space sucks and change the design, because they've already pre-sold a ship whose whole reason for existing is to pick up players trapped in space.

So now every SC player (if the game ever came out) will have to deal with floating around space for hours bored as gently caress in order to justify someone's $250 medic-ship purchase.

gently caress this is so bad.

I really really wish we could finish SC exactly as designed so that we could watch backers play it and admit they absolutely loving hate it.

Scruffpuff posted:

A lot to unpack here.

quote:

With the Hope class ship, do you see Medical as being a complete profession?
The medical profession* is one of the more important occupations** within Star Citizen, and it’s intended to be one of the larger and more flexible roles***. On the FPS combat front**** Medics***** will be invaluable. They’ll be able to perform field triage****** that can heal some injuries entirely and mitigate others enough so that the injured party is at least more functional*******. The effects of more serious injuries******** can often be slowed********* so that there is a better chance of reaching a hospital********** where more advanced medical apparatus*********** can improve the chances of survival************. Depending upon the cause of death*************, a well-trained************** Medic can occasionally restart a patient’s heart***************, although death may soon reoccur**************** if the root causes are not quickly addressed.*****************

* There are no professions in this game
** There are no occupations in this game
addenda: The implication is that "professions" and "occupations" are two separate things, meaning the game is so deep you have need synonyms to describe multiple career paths - this is false.
*** There are no roles in this game, ignore implication that there are multiple role levels of importance ("larger role") and variance ("more flexible role")
**** Our "FPS Combat" is a poo poo-tier basement-barrel joke, when it works, which is almost never
***** There are no medics in this game
****** They will not be able to perform field traige. There is no field triage in this game, nor are there designs for such.
******* There are not multiple injury types in this game, nor are there different levels of healing, nor designs for such, nor a substructure that supports the concept.
******** There are not "more serious" nor are there "less serious" injuries in this game.
********* There are not injury conditions that can be "slowed".
********** There are no hospitals in this game.
*********** There is no advanced medical appratus, nor are there the implied less advanced medical apparatus, nor hospitals to house them, nor game mechanics to support them
************ There are no "chances of survival" gameplay elements in this game
************* The only cause of death in this game is a meter reaching zero.
************** There is no training in this game, nor designs for such, nor code infrastructure to support it, nor are there Medics to apply them to.
*************** There are no hearts, there are no body parts, there is no way to "restart a heart" or do anything else in this game related to anything medical in any way.
**************** There are no death and recussitation mechanics in this game.
***************** There are no time mechanics within which you must treat "root causes," nor are there root causes, nor are there mechanics in this game.

CIG is like the WinRAR of lying.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

July Set 6

Daztek posted:

https://www.criticalhit.net/gaming/star-citizen-backer-loses-4500-refund-case-thanks-games-cunning-terms-service/

quote:

Long story short, Lord got screwed and is now stuck with a game he can’t even play while RSI cunningly updates their terms of service to protect them from anyone demanding a refund as the game sinks deeper and deeper into development hell, as PC Gamer detailed over here. In many ways, Star Citizen has become the video game equivalent of Christian evangelism: It has a charismatic way of attracting converts, it has plenty of zealous followers and it’s possibly the biggest scam ever seen since a lightbulb went off in the mind of Charles Ponzi.

:drat:

Scruffpuff posted:

The backer narrative appears to be "This lawsuit is good for Star Citizen! Now they've plugged the financial leaks by stopping refunds!"

When the actual event is closer to "Now the media has another reason to rip a bloody shred out of this project, and backers have yet another thing dissuading them from propping up this scam."

There's no fork in the road where CIG hasn't taken the wrong path. I've said they're inept before; I think that's the wrong word.

If a baseball player strikes out every time he's up at bat, and never hits the ball, he's inept.

CIG holds the bat at the wrong end, swings when there's no ball coming, the pitcher is actually using a football, he's throwing it the wrong way, half the team can't find the venue, they're playing in a hockey rink, and the game is tomorrow.

Maltloaf posted:

Space Scam short movie out now.

https://i.imgur.com/rJDw556.mp4

Ghostlight posted:

I'm catching up on 300 posts, but nobody has said Store Citizer: Multiple Scammerosis yet.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Hello Roberts, my old friend
You put a ship sale up again
Because the cultists softly bleating
Gave their minds to sickness feeding
And the posts that were downvoted in the thread
Still remains
Within the sound of scamming

In Derek's game I walked alone
Narrow halls of low-res stone
'Neath the pain of a wrist cramp
His July blog became too damp
When my tweets were stabbed by a flash of the Warlord's might
That sparked a fight
And touched the sound of scamming

And on the naked whale I saw
Ten thousand dollars, maybe more
People buying without blinking
People playing without thinking
People flying at 7 frames without care
And no one dared
Disturb the sound of scamming

Spergs, said I, you do not know
Funding like a cancer grows
:justpost: that I might teach you
Crobears that I might reach you
But my posts, like Crytek's engine fell
And echoed in the wells of scamming

And the cultists bowed and prayed
To the game dev god they made
And the TOS changed its warning
MS refunds it was blocking
And the goons said, that journalists found their balls
And funding falls
And whispered in the sounds of scamming

Beet Wagon posted:

quote:

• "Good, now they won't play and we won't have nonbelievers in our midst who sully our utopia with impure thoughts like 'This game isn't good' or 'The framerate is very poor' or 'There's not enough gameplay to stay engaged'!"
• "Good, now CiG should blacklist these people so they can't even get what they *did* pay for when it comes out. Such is the penalty for sacrilege."
• "Good, anyone who criticizes the progress CiG made deserves to have their money taken away."
• "Good, now we'll have a population of begrudging players who won't invest a lot of energy into the game and will man my 50-player SPERG chariot!"
• "Good, now CiG should force them to play and man my 50-player SPERG chariot.

I have literally seen all of those opinions in the wild. If you peel back the extremely thin veneer of "I'm just pledging to support the game" it becomes almost immediately apparent that these people want to buy their way into a caste system that punishes the people they don't like.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Ahhhh poo poo it's the most dramatic Star Criticism video yet

==New ‘It’s a hospital’ ship jpeg==

happyhippy posted:

Daztek posted:

Geno is the way.
The path is the way.

Zaphod42 posted:

"You can use this ship to perform medical duties"

Should be

"You should be able to use this ship to perform medical duties when the game is completed" or "You will hopefully be able to use this ship to perform medical duties"

The entire website is just fanfiction some writers have made up which isn't tied to game design and won't cleanly map to an actual game spec.

Scruffpuff posted:

There's always a small part of me that wants to see this game come out, so I can watch the best laid plans of mice masquerading as men collapse in a heap of tears and rape threats.

A good example is this newfangled "Medical Ship and Associated Gameplay."

The Dream:

A massive pitched battle with fighters and capital ships, people boarding enemy vessels, it's absolute mayhem. But what's this? Medical frigates are hovering around on both sides of the battlefield to support things, sending in Space Ambulances to bring commandos back to the ship for medical treatment, then sending them back out into the fray.

The Reality:

There is no version of reality where anything these broke-brained morons are thinking makes it into this game in any form, even if Chris vanished tomorrow and a real game developer took over. We've witnessed years and years of MMO developers promise gameplay that's literally impossible to balance, or introduce mechanics that never, ever play out in reality the way they do in people's minds. From the Everquest developers being flabbergasted that gamers didn't run through their dungeons as intended but rather sat on their rear end for weeks at a time camping the same mob, to Garriott being stunned that his delicately balanced fauna ecosystem was ripped to poo poo by gamers killing everything in sight as fast as they can, we've had years of lessons that the problem isn't coming up with "ideas" for the game. It's understanding player psychology and coding the game to keep players on track. Whether it's an open sandbox game or a linear story-driven RPG, you have to understand that people are going to lean on the walls every time.

Commando B'tak posted:

seeing Store Credit money treated as 2nd Class... I too have closed my Wallet as a protest.

Why do we need to make this contest in between "old" dollars and "new" dollars on which has helped or will help the Development of Star Citizen the most and, thus, deserves more prizing for their use ?

Why, CIG ?

STAR CITIZEN = PRESIDENT TRUMP

GAME FAKE NEWS MEDIA = MAINSTREAM FAKE NEWS MEDIA

PUBLISHER GAMES = HILLARY CLINTON/OBAMA

ANTI SC TROLLS = ANTI TRUMP HYSTERICAL COMMUNISTS (='DEMOCRATS')

EVERY CIG ACCOMPLISHMENT IGNORED AND DIMINISHED = EVERY TRUMP ACCOMPLISHMENT IGNORED AND DIMINISHED

SC BACKERS = PUTIN/RUSSIA

OBJECTIVE SC PRESS = PUTIN/RUSSIA

HATERS+MEDIA WANT SC TO FAIL AND SHUT DOWN = DEEPSTATE+MEDIA WANTS TRUMP TO FAIL AND WW3

Krycek posted:

So wait, are we dead, gay and irrelevant? Or are we the ever present, master fudsters of all the internets? Because it can't be both. Goons are everywhere, yet completely irrelevant at the same time.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Virtual Captain posted:

quote:

Commando B'tak posted:
Is that the B'tak of "I feel grief" meme fame I remember from back when I read the main thread? Man, that really shows how dire the situation has become.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

July Set 7

PederP posted:

They have 24 open "engineering" positions. For example, they are looking for a UI Engineer with (among other things) Flash/ActionScript experience. Lumberyard doesn't have a Flash/ActionScript UI systems... but CryEngine does (Scaleform).

Scaleform is pretty horrible to work with and a performance hog. Strange decision not to use the Lumberyard UI system, as using Flash/ActionScript would require integrating Scaleform into Lumberyard. A daunting task considering that Autodesk are no longer selling licenses for Scaleform or offering support after the current term. But I am sure CIG got that sorted out in the two days it took them to migrate to Lumberyard.

(They're still running on CryEngine).

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Hey CIG Intern since we know you read this thread and I know you guys are sweating on the idea of actually having gameplay for medics that isn't just holding the use key to make them sit up, don't worry I got this. You take this to Chris and you tell him that I give him full permission to use this idea, because let's face it he was going to steal it anyway and gently caress it up. So we've got the golf swing, we've got the whatever it is you do with mining to get shale. We get that. Absolutely brilliant ideas that keep them coming back for more. So how do you properly simulate triage in space? How do you accurately but quickly capture the essence of fixing a person up in a way that'll be engaging to do but won't eat the wounded person's time up any more than just respawning and getting stuck getting out of bed would?

Well Intern have I got the idea for you. Operation. You remember right? You have to slowly pull pieces out of a busted up dude with a set of tweezers without hitting the sides. All you need to do is translate that onto any player model on a 3D plane and remove the "hurt" carefully without hitting the sides. But you're probably wondering where the challenge is right? Easy. Make it so that the it's performed directly on the player model on the position they're in. What this means is that removing water on the knee becomes a loving terrifying ordeal because the knee has glitched into spaghetti and is trying to escape into the ventilation system (that doesn't actually exist on the ship don't worry about it). Want to sort out that wounded gut? Well first you have to convince the wounded commando's head to stop trying to pop up through via the rear end. Can you reset a broken arm when both shoulders are on one side of the body?

Just follow my idea and you'll perfectly capture the harrowing nightmare that is combat triage. IN SPACE. Name the next ship that renders all the other ones obsolete while costing fifty bucks more after me, thanks.

https://twitter.com/LStimperor/status/1021432144101625857

hot balls man no homo posted:

1. If they get the game working properly, I will definitely grief.
2. When I grief, I will use every cheat and exploit I can find in their tangled mess of spaghetti code.
3. When I die, I will buy a new supership for $5 from someone in a foreign country grinding out ships for a fraction of what backers are paying for them now.
4. The grief will be so much saltier because of how much backers paid in to be the invincible ruling class of their perfect dream world.

How's that for some theory crafting

Zaphod42 posted:

G0RF posted:

On a related note, it’s absolutely incredible to me that it’s 3 years since the much ballyhooed Squadron 42 shoot and yet we’ve still not seen a second of footage with either Gillian Anderson or Sandi Gardiner. 3 years!
I wonder if the footage isn't terrible and now its too late to bring back the actors for reshoots. Chris is no director after all; the wing commander movie was loving awful.

This is pretty hilarious when you think about it though. They spent literally millions of dollars so Chris could act out a power fantasy that didn't amount in ANY contributions to the game at all.

Kickstarter: Help me hire my wife and Gary Oldman to dance around in their underwear while I film it

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I watched a "highlight" reel of Wing Commander. Oh god, CR's vision on the space military is almost childlike, though most children aren't that dumb. Even Warhammer 40k has a more realistic depiction of military life.

Name one real world unit that would erase the name and forget that a fallen comrade ever existed, or not even bother to attempt to rescue a potentially injured pilot but would bulldoze them off the deck like trash hilariously. Because trained pilots have never ever been a valuable resource in any wars we can think of right?

G0RF posted:

In a French forum discussion about Squadron’s uncertain release date was found a true gem.

quote:

No, but it does not really matter, that it comes out in 2022 or 2023 or 2030 it does not matter, it's the fault of backers who do not know patience and should learn that a work that aims to revolutionize video-game world and more broadly the human culture of entertainment is not created in 5, 6 or 7 years.

Chris Robert is not just a video game developer president and founder of CIG, he's a prophet, a man who has a vision and who is guiding his teams to territories that have never been explored before. Immersion and loyalty, millions of people around the world have been convinced by this vision and every day thousands of new citizens join this revolutionary project by donating their money to see this project evolve towards Chris's ultimate and perfect vision. Roberts.

Because all together we have the opportunity to make the dream, the extraordinary vision of a real man, it means buying now the new medical Apollo vessel and convince the most people around you to join us, all together to that the dream of a man, become the dream of a community, becomes a reality.

Except that a dream is not realized in a snap of fingers, outside the millions it takes time, a lot of time, so I think that people who moan and criticize have not grasped the scale, the scope , and the Copernican revolution that represents this project, otherwise you would just close it and buy more Jpeg.

Dying.

Kosumo posted:

Over the last few days there has been lots of post about how bad/silly the medic ship is because of its unknown gameplay …. THATS NOT THE POINT ….. Just the fact that Chris Roberts is selling these internet spaceships/DLC/add ons for something that does not yet exist is totally bonkers. And not just for $5 - 10 like they maybe worth, but for hundreds of real life dollars.

It IS snake oil.

Don't get sucked into debating non-defined gameplay ….. the fact that they ask the amount of money that they do for "Concepts" of stuff is what is truly the scummy part of Star Citizen.

That should never be normalized.

Most people would only pay $200 - $400 totally a year for all their gaming needs.

SCSUcksDealwithit posted:

Most games do grenades like this:
Certain distance from center: Kill
Slight further radius: 60 dmg
Further: 30 dmg
even further: 10 dmg.

Its trivial to set up and is likely a default function of the FPS engine Cryengine.

CIG was so loving rushed and lazy that they never bothered to set up these things, likely so they didn't have to do supression or anything like that. Its a scam.
A toe in the blast radius = kill, at least for 2.6, I doubt they've changed it. And the radius is huge.

Beet Wagon posted:

Also, I don’t know if this is still the case, but grenades used to kill through walls which is double extra funny.

Like... how do you gently caress up default cryengine settings that bad

Beet Wagon posted:

you can fit one of the space bikes through the airlock at the space station. Space station refactor incoming

Link for people who want to actually see things:

https://gfycat.com/OrnateTameGoat

Tokamak posted:

When G0rf stops posting about twitch streamers, the thread forgets they exist.

Pixelate posted:

Store Citizer: Watch to the end, they mocapped a dude taking a leak.

Kosumo posted:

If Star Citizen was pinball it would be a unpainted table with 3 legs, one sticky flipper and a JPEG of a ball.

The only sound effect would be :gary: PAAARRRRRP

Oh, and the glass would have lots of struts running though it.

TheAgent posted:

turbulent just started hiring more people like they are about to raid molten core or something

they haven't been hiring for star citizen for around six months or so

quote:

Turbulent is looking for a gaming producer who is passionate about video games to join our Star Citizen project.

Responsibilities
• Maintain an excellent relationship with the client, representing the project and acting as an ambassador for the technical and creative teams during weekly meetings and within the community of fans
• Coordinate day-to-day operations on the mandate and ensure smooth running of the production flow in collaboration with the Producer
• Supervise the evolution of short-term projects while giving advice and recommendations to both technical and creative teams (goals, deliverables, etc.) in collaboration with the Producer, including the following tasks:
• Coordinate assets and deliverables produced by the client (Cloud Imperium Games) and the internal teams and synchronise the creation/production process along with resources, maintaining great communication with all participants while doing so
Coordinate different promotional events throughout the year (spaceship sales, spontaneous promotional offers, coupons, Gamescon special sales, communications for the marketing team, etc.)
• Identify internal and external resources needed for the project delivery
• Coordinate all activities linked to the project while ensuring a follow-up with the resources, internal as well as external during deployment, post-launches, etc.
• Participate in the definition of the client’s requirements and needs assessment in collaboration with the Producer, including cost estimates, service proposals and preparation of timelines for the different phases of the project
• Prepare monthly reports on the activities of the mandate regarding sales and other notable events
• Mitigate the risks inherent to the project and share those issues with the client
• Act as a resource person to the internal team and client through your skills, expertise of the project and technical knowledge (Zendesk support, backend tools, Mailchimp, etc…)
• Adapt quickly to manage last minutes change requests and ensure the proper follow ups with different contributors
this team has about 10 people working on it currently but in 2016 turbulent had dozens of devs with short or long term contracts working for CIG

the other "back-end" team has about a half dozen or so current employees to work with maintaining the webstore. they are hiring too

quote:

The Lead Back-end developer would be in charge of directing a team of approximately 4 developers as well as being hands on in the development of group services linking the Star Citizen game with the Star Citizen web platform developed by Turbulent. The candidate would work closely with the executive producer and CTO of Turbulent.

lol I just remembered when lando was all "its not sales, we never used the word sales, that's your word" and its right on turbulent's linkedin hiring page

like c'mon

Beet Wagon posted:

lol

"No no, don't panic. Wait for us to soften the blow first!"

Sarsapariller posted:

I had a lot of fun in pm's with some of the believers in a reddit thread back when this racing rally was first being publicized. I like to come in and ask positive questions to give them a chance to cast the game in the best possible light.

me: Wow, that's really cool looking! If I wanted to participate, what would I need to do?

backer: It is super cool! You need a game package and one of the bikes or rovers, and you need to enter here at <site or something>

me: Cool so how do you earn stuff in game, like the bikes? Do I have to fly a ship around and deliver cargo for a week first?

backer: No you just buy them here <link to store>

me: Wait, you're saying I have to pay $45 bucks for access to the game, then $60 minimum for one of the bikes? Some of these rovers cost hundreds of dollars!

backer: It's early alpha blah blah paying to support game blah blah earn in game some day blah blah

me: Oh well! So how does the race part work? Does everybody line up at the start and then go, like in the Elite game with the exploration trips? I can't find any Star Citizen videos with more than 3 or 4 people and they're usually glitchy.

backer: <anger at elite>, also we're not really sure how it will work yet, probably separate instances

me: So I won't see anyone else? How will you track progress? Is it at least persistent so if I log out and log back in my car will be in the same place? What happens if I die, should I fly back to the same place? Actually for that matter how do you even get the bikes/rovers to the starting line?

backer: Probably not, planets are really big so it's rare to see other people! Everyone is going to self report with screenshots at the waypoints. Persistence is in, if you log out in the bed of your rover you will log back in there! But... the bikes don't have beds so i guess don't log out on those. You can't fly the rovers around, they're too big, so you have to spawn on the planet or get a big cargo ship to carry you.

me: So let me make sure I'm getting all of this clear. The big race thing is actually me, spending minimum $105 dollars, up to $300 dollars if I want to be able to log out, just to drive myself around a barren wasteland for a day or more and then post screenshots to a website? And if I don't want to drive all the way to the starting line, I need to spend another $350 or beg off of someone who has? And you play this voluntarily?

backer: <FUD Derek goons etc>

Cameroon_TLPC posted:

I'd like to know where you've heard that, because that is categorically untrue.

In other, brighter news, one of our team members is finally healing up after a nasty rollerblading accident. Prepare for the pipelines to be flush with white-hot loads of content after her recovery.
https://twitter.com/PledgeTeam/status/1022935421674610688

TheAgent posted:

I absolutely know in my heart that a citizen is going to jerk off to love pledge

it's one of the reasons I had to gently caress right off from heading the project

Scruffpuff posted:

So I was playing Prey which has space and EVA better than Star Citizen (like all games ever made, or that ever will be made) and there's a guy stuck in a cargo container (oh yeah Prey has cargo containers too :lol:)

He says "help me get back into the station before I run out of air" or whatever he said. As a savvy gamer I knew that meant looking for something to "Press F to USE" on the outside of the container, and bingo, I found it.

I guess the guy inside the container failed the airlock spacesuit check when the side of the cargo container suddenly opened. He wasn't very happy with me, or at least I surmise that since it's hard to talk when you're dead.

I looted him because unlike Star Citizen this game has loot and it does things and works within the state of the game and its underlying mechanics.

Star Citizen has given me a new interest in gaming as a whole. No matter what I buy and play, it works and it's a game and for those two things alone it's something Chris Roberts can never make. The sky's the limit when you're not CIG.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

July Set 8

quote:

every part of the game is so just crap. Right now you've had nearly six years Cloud Imperium Games what are you doing? It's this game is a broken, buggy, unplayable mess, and any aspect of it; nothing really works

trucutru posted:

This video is pretty good y'all. And quite funny sometimes

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Look at this fair and balanced critique of the new feature length video.

A Commando posted:

ALL, BULLSHIT, INCORRECT and just downright TROLLING TO THE MAX. loving idiots and jokes all involved in this dross. Yes I am a citizen but NO however I am not a white knight or some other bullshit childish name you want to call me because I disagree with you. I am however sick and loving tired of having to correct loving incompetent bullshitters who think they can tell people what's what when they don't have a clue themselves. SICK AND loving TIRED of it.

quote:

I were to have played Citizen Marine with somehow having no knowledge of Star Citizen or in Cloud Imperium Games you were to tell me that Citizen Marine was a byproduct of some Rando going on to some engine’s storefront buying the fanciest looking assets he could find, slapping them together with no regard for QA, balance, functionality, or optimization, and then subsequently slapping it on the steam storefront before carpet-bombing key mailer to try to get some free and easy press I would totally believe that is the case because that is how this game feels it feels like an asset flip gone as poorly as it could have gone

I'd consider myself a bit of a fanboy for SC, and I still have a lot of hope for the project, but this poo poo is getting more and more exhausting to follow as time goes on. It's starting to feel like we're just along for the ride, watching the development of a game that's going to big for the next generation of gamers, and not necessarily for us.

I’m officially over it. I’ve argued the “you don’t know what you don’t know” on their behalf for years. To say I’m disappointed is an understatement. Grand Marshal in pledges and for the first time, I'm legitimately worried.

when the hell can we expect to reach beta much less a release. Let's be honest, this is what many backers would have been asking and vocalizing, if the original plan only had a single new profession for 2018. So you go with pie-n-the-sky and pray for miracles versus simply dealing with reality.

Your post makes me so angry I want to scream. I'm so so so sick of these things. UGH!
Never post a concern post again please. CIG are professionals, they know what they're doing way better than ANY of us, and even if they screw something up the game is in ALPHA, they have TONS of time to fix it, and even then they may not want to fix things like this so we AND they can use these tools to better test the game before its released. Nobody, not me and not they, care if you lose a few games because someone peeked around a goddamn corner to cheat IN ALPHA.

Scruffpuff posted:

I realized something that had been bugging me about the "Tier-0 Implentation" logic (which, let's face it, is actually extended to the entire game and engine, when you think about it.)

I can't think of the specific game right now, it's probably an RTS of some kind, but it starts with you building basic buildings. Let's say a straw hut. That would be the Tier-0 implementation. Then as you get more resources you "upgrade" the building and now it's made of wood. You continue upgrading and it becomes brick, then metal. That is how Star Citizen is billing its development, and what backers think is happening. "Just wait until the huts all get upgraded! Then the game will come out and be good!"

Except that's not how construction works. You don't "upgrade" a straw hut into a wooden building. None of the components that make up the substructure are transferable. You have to know you want a wood building from the get-go. Then you plan for it and build it properly. If there's a straw hut already there, it has to be torn down. Not even the materials are transferable. This is true all the way up the tier chain.

The same is true of development. The implication at CIG (because everything at CIG is implication) is that the "Tier-0 Mining" will be "upgraded" over time into more complex forms, when the baseline they've built will not support anything other than what's there. So they'll try to bend it to their will, hacking at the code until it's a Lovecraftian nightmare of code barely suitable for the task it was "upgraded" to perform.

The entire game is like this, right down to the base PTU itself - the "Tier-0" of what Star Citizen is supposed to be, that's completely unfit for purpose and will never run as well as a properly built and designed code base would have.

This entire "game" has been coded on the fly, with the only actions spurring it forward being 1) selling new poo poo, and 2) "proving" the game exists for various legal reasons. What else could they do? The game isn't even designed on a basic level - it shouldn't even be possible to start coding until you know what your game is, but that doesn't sell ships.

It's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to the collapse - once real developers start picking through the wreckage, we'll have laughs here for months, if not years.

JugbandDude posted:

I could understand the whole Tier-0 fiasco if they actually defined what the other tiers were.

Mining other materials? Different difficulty levels for advanced materials? New mining abilities?

None of that is exactly ground breaking, so they just leave their backers in suspense because there is no proper design and they have no loving clue what’s next for mining.

Scruffpuff posted:

That's one of the 3,500 giveaways that Chris Roberts is an idiot. "Tier-0" implementation of a mechanic that exists in a total vacuum. There is no economy, crafting, mining, refining, materials list, or even a single line of code that would support the underlying structure for any one of those things, let alone all of them. There is no plan, nobody has any idea what anything even is, but mining, because Elite. So here's some "shale" and point this laser and boom, mining is now "in game."

When you aim as low as CIG does, everything can technically be "in-game" at Tier-0 implementation:

- Farming? Point a light at a seed and hit "F". Tier-0.
- Inevitable consequence of piracy? Point at another commando at hit "F". Tier-0.
- Fueling? Point at the fuel port on your chariot and hit "F". Tier-0.

The only thing CIG can't do is things that require a bit more than just hitting "F". Like, for example, a flight model.

This whole loving fiasco is a giant act of game development sleight-of-hand. Chris says something will be in game, they put in a super-basic representation of that thing and say they'll build on it, and people just take it all at face value, despite the fact that CIG is incapable.

Star Citizen is basically stub code for a game Chris can't make.

doingitwrong posted:

The Dumbo Theory of Development

Inspired by a lifetime of films that show great things can happen if you believe in yourself but as soon as you stop believing in yourself, you lose the ability to fly, the faithful know how to see this through. If we can all keep the faith, Star Citizen will get finished. If people lose heart and hope, the project will come to an end. The chorus of doubters are an existential threat to the game ever getting off the ground.

In a way, they're not wrong. The project relies entirely on faith to continue the influx of cash which enables it to proceed. As soon as enough people give up on the project, it will come crashing to the ground. The mistake is that there is no amount of money or effort that could ever finish this project.

It's not a Dumbo situation, it's a Wile E Coyote situation.

Ohtsam posted:

I think CIG don't use agile and are in fact big users of LIMBER methodology.

Less
Integration
More
Bugs
Every
Release

MedicineHut posted:

A group of Spanish citizens tries to jam 50 players in a server. The results through the eyes of this streamer are pretty much as expected.

If you have the guts to endure the 2.5 hours of this ordeal you will see a Caterpillar exploding for no good reason with all commandos on board at around the 29 minute mark. Coordinated jump freezes, more random freezes, ursa rover ship physics breaking, more freezes and reboots etc.

Of the 2.5 hours the streamer here probably spent around 2 hours reloading or just trying to regain his position prior to the 5 or 6 crashes he had during the event.

Youtube link

I am pretty sure we will see an edited/cut version of this just with the good bits at some point.

TheAgent posted:

"Agile!" I scream with two broken wrists and a game nowhere near completion.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
This is pure gold, thanks Virtual Capitan. This shitshow makes my days brighter

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

July Set 9

What types of mods are you looking forward to?

Personally I think ship interior redesigns and swapping would be awesome. Imagine the interior of the 600i, but it's a warmly lit, intimate speakeasy. Intricate woodwork, evergreen and maroon velvet, maybe a pool table instead of a hologlobe.

Or a Captain Nemo Nautilus inspired interior with oxidized copper, bronze, rivets, general steampunk vibe.

I know as soon as modding tools are available I'm gonna take a crack at designing some cool alternate stuff.

When did they say you'd be able to adjust the interior of vehicles in an MMO exactly?

4 million dollar stretch goal: Players will be provided with modding tools for free.

Private servers are supported and will be where the bulk of modding is concentrated, but they have said in the past that if they deem a mod good enough to implement, they will implement it into the PU.

quote:

The AI doesn't work for reasons endlessly speculated about - but most folks much smarter than me seem to generally agree is something to do with CIG's co ordinate system - which is a complete mystery.

One clue did appear recently which was that JP's temp solution to trigger re-entry fx using the altitude variable only worked on one hemisphere of the planet.

This led some to speculate that the southern hemisphere of the planet was underneath the ground plane of the cryengine map.

quote:

Having a solid flight model and networking would move it in the direction of being a game.

I'd add collision detection and physics into that as well.

But they simply can't. All joking aside IFCS is and has been a huge mistake, in terms of how it feels and its network overhead.

quote:

the spaghetti limbed monstrosities that the commandos transmute into seemingly at random.

One of these guys told me there isn't any point in trying to figure it out but it certainly isn't normal for the engine to be doing stuff like that, and whilst there's a non-zero chance of them getting it working it'd take, and I quote, "ten years".

quote:

Sorry for banging on about IFCS but this is the biggest reason I think it has already failed.

Because from a purely technical perspective it has, that whole system would have to be completely undone and replaced, along with the networking.

*and they know this*

The unmentionable one has commented on IFCS too, after JP's departure saying they'd have to rip it out. I strongly agree with him on that one single point.

It's threaded into everything and it's broadcasting every bit of itself to everything else on the server and the clients.

It's an utter disaster, the most fundamental part of any game, step one, read input - is a catastrophic mess 5 years in the making.

It'll never be a playable game on that one point - and that's before you get to all the other deep technical issues.

They have yet to solve a single fundamental problem with their tech and they keep adding more assets and features into it. I don't know which will fall over first - the tech or the money.

It's a race for the killing blow between the tech, the funding and the legal problems. There's no question of a game ever coming out of it.

quote:

A non-trivial number of staff were moved to remote and a non-trivial number of temp contracts were not renewed in Jan 2018 - and there have been exits from the project all of this year, the most recent I know about being a month ago.

The only folks surprised by the dramatic bumping of this year's roadmap are those who still believe there are 500 devs.

bbchops posted:

Star Citizen is beyond adjectives.

Listen to Sean Tracey, Dave Haddock and Chris Roberts during the commentary for Squadron 42 reveal describe how you can go from looking out the window at huge in game assets aboard a fully NPC populated Idris moving in the game space, to getting into your own ship and flying to another area, getting out and zero 'G' exploring, then get back into your ship and go land on a planet with a huge AAA FPS level like you see in Deus Ex - All without a single loading screen.

Whats' coming is going to change gaming, and the way games are made. Forever. You won't be disappointed, you will be blown away, and they have A LOT MORE completed than anyone thinks.

==CIG removes limit on purchasable in-game money==

PSA: There is no longer a cap for maximum amount of purchasable UEC

The daily cap is still in place. That is all.

quote:

MASSIVELYOP: STAR CITIZEN FANS RAISE PAY-TO-WIN OBJECTIONS OVER REMOVAL OF IN-GAME CURRENCY STOCKPILING CAP

Our inbox exploded last night with Star Citizen tips, and that can mean only one thing: money shenanigans. In-game money, that is, but this is Star Citizen we’re talking about, a game where out-of-game money very much buys you in-game stuff.

Cloud Imperium has confirmed that the hard cap was removed intentionally; it wasn’t just a bug. “It seems the cap was removed when UEC melting was brought in,” CIG’s Kraiklyn told Spectrum-goers. “However, there is still a daily cap of 25k per 24 hours.”

Reddit is, predictably, torn on whether or not this is a serious pay-to-win transgression that could destroy the in-game economy and kill the game…. or just “fake outrage” perpetrated by bored haters. Some folks are in actual denial, calling the debate “FUD” and insisting there never was a cap. (There was.) Overall, the salt is strong.

I've been in this community for years and every single year, to every single month, to now every single week there is some new mindboggling decision they make.

I have said it so many times now, but whoever is in charge of the marketing at CIG does not give a single flying gently caress about PR.

Am i loving crazy in saying you shouldn't alienate, ravage and completely and utterly scorch your goddamn reputation to its core like this?

Hyping up mining for 6 months only for people to realise they're dead serious in locking it behind (and this keeps being furiously denied) A PAYWALL and a MASSIVE one at that.

"Just purchase it", "just buy a subscription", "just melt something assuming i have 200 $ worth of loving ships lying around", "just ask someone in chat .. to mine for 5min only for your inventory to fill which you then cant sell because this game is unfinished", you're so entitled, you shouldn't be bitching about this.. just wait for 3.3.

The mental gymnastics have gotten completely out of control. And i see it now. I see what people have said to me, all be it so bluntly without reasoning first which would have perhaps accelerated this process.

This place is a absolute loving cult at times - and no one can deny it.

:tif:

trucutru posted:

all this outrage from the backers only exists because the dumb fucks still believe that CIG will not sell the ships for cash after launch. Yes, they have broken every other promise they have even made but the one that would net them the most money if broken, sure!

monkeytek posted:

Putting on my paranoid angry gewnie hat:

This is a very specifically thought out action on the part of CIG. With jpeg sales flattening out, nothing on the horizon as far as released content that will fire up the ranks, they are scrambling for a new source of income.

Well guess what, here we have thousands of incredibly invested backers who while claiming it is not P2W are doing everything in their power to ensure they are the big boys at release and in doing so are ripe for "fear harvesting" What is "fear harvesting" you ask? It's playing on that primary need to be the biggest, be the best in the game. So you release very quietly that UEC now can be bought everyday, no maximum limit for each account. Whelp now everyone of those backers are going to scramble to maintain their place in the hierarchy of SC, even better they don't know how much the next guy is buying so they are constantly pushing to buy as much as they can possible afford, and in a few cases more than they can afford, in the hopes of keeping that coveted whale status.

I would go out on a ledge here and say look to increased definition of UEC needed to support the whale lifestyle. Want your capital ship to be useable from day one? Well here are all the UEC sinks needed to keep it flying, fuel (standard and premium of course) NPC's (standard and elite, of course) Jump license ( need that to be allowed in other systems because mass transfer is expensive bro!) Storage locations (want to keep it nice and safe well you need to rent a storage location, Caps are much too big for the station!)

The hilarity will be golden, thank you CIG!

monkeytek posted:

So after years of monetizing everything possible only now are people asking if this is a P2W game?

Hmm, you can buy the most powerful ships available in game, the most powerful weapons in game, but now that UEC is not capped per account haaaaaay wait a minute! :thunk:

Mr. Carlisle posted:

https://twitter.com/discolando/status/1023705108691873793
https://twitter.com/discolando/status/1023665787146448896

I love that they can get away with poo poo like this and nobody in the group that defends them will ever call them on it

Doesn't matter if it's on your lunch break, after hours, whatever - don't post you loving around from inside your offices when your game is like six years behind and going nowhere fast you fuckin' idiot

TheAgent posted:

people are loving stupid and greedy, and when their "investments" are circling the drain, they desperately try anything to prop up value for it, even when they know the end is coming

just like shroud of the avatar, the only reason anyone defends this poo poo anymore is because they don't want their items to lose value

people are trading jpgs for warframe accounts, for cryptocurrency, for half or even less its value. people are even getting refunded for 10% of their account value, if you want to hit up CIG with that request, but oh, please don't mention it because that was just the throwaway account and I still have my multiple trading accounts for sale teefuckinhee

I mean, you are always going to have the insanely rich true believers to help fund things, but they continue to lose them year after year, replaced with russian money launderers and people trying to wash crypto monies

I wonder when all this collapses, if CIG, much like Portalarium, is going to throw Turbulent under the bus for all of this

you can quickly convert from true believer to "jesus christ I need to get my goddamn money out of this loving thing, holy poo poo I guess I better loving make nice and play along so some idiot buys all my poo poo so I don't take a complete bath on my dumb decisions"

trucutru posted:

New patch hit the servers today.

quote:

Feature Updates
Technical

Adding logging to track grenade events.

Testing Focus
Toss as many grenades as possible in both Star Marine and the persistent universe.

That's it you content locusts, that's the patch.

Combat Theory posted:

Im stealing your Goon Valor, badger

Zaphod42 posted:

Any real game you could play and realize it isn't worth tens of thousands of dollars. But since star citizen isn't out yet, you can imagine it being anything you want. You can imagine its going to be the space matrix. Its not inconceivable to spend $20,000 on a complete matrix simulation of space.

Of course, they can't build a complete matrix simulation, but that's the delusion of star citizens.

you toss in $60 and then later on you hear all your SC buddies going on and on and on about their massive ships and you decide you want one too, so you buy it.

Then you feel stupid spending $360 on a videogame you can't play, but sunk cost fallacy is a motherfucker so you convince yourself if you spend $200 more it'll help CIG finally finish this game you already spent $360 on so that your $360 actually sees some return. So now you're in the hole for $560.

Zaphod42 posted:

My friends, it has often been said that Star Citizen is bad.
My friends, I like star citizen...
No, friends, I love star citizen!
I love spaceship jpgs.
I love paarp.
I love 12fps gameplay.
I love bugs and crashes and connection issues just to pick up boxes.
Sales for ships that don't exist; ships that mine, ships that farm, ships for journalists, ships that punch above their weight. I love every useless ship that CIG fantasizes.
I love mindless cultists who continue to play a fantasy that doesn't work and has never worked.
My heart leaps with joy whenever a backer is tossed high into the air and cut to pieces by being denied a refund.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Buying Chris Roberts' blood would be a service to mankind because we haven't determined if this level of failure can be transmitted via transfusion. I mean people are practically willing the man to make their dreams come true with money and time and exposure being thrown his way and somehow in spite of all of this and all the money what we have is the jankiest tech demo at about 1% or so of what was promised. Imagine what would happen if someone weaponised this level of failure. You could bring down entire countries FROM THE INSIDE.

Tokamak posted:

The game is a non-Newtonian fluid where the more you push against it, the more it resists.
Buy a bigger ship to make more cash? Now your operating costs will cancel out any increased earnings. Attempt to corner the market and make bank on high margin trade routes? The 9:1 NPC ratio will flood the market and erode all of your profit. Become a hotshot dogfighter that dominates in PvP? That 9:1 NPC ratio will gang up on you and shoot up your ride...

Krycek posted:

Montoya preparing to "do battle" over the internet and defend star citizen's honor, as if she were a maiden in distress and he's the knight in shining armor, will not move the needle on the progress meter. No one has told them that goons and cultist alike have precisely gently caress all influence over the final fate of star citizen. No matter how many reddit subs get brigaded or photoshopped wildlife images spew forth from the goatse end of the gayest dead comedy forum, crobberts controls his own destiny. He's got all the money and no oversight. Nothing can compromise his vision other than himself. If Star Citizen turns out poo poo, it's because Roberts' vision is poo poo.

A pretend Commando posted:

Goons from the SA forums run the refund subreddit and have been about attacking and doxxing members and developers of the Star Citizen community for several years at least -- before Derek Smart wrote his blog even -- because Chris Roberts and Ben Lesnick took away their power and gave it back to the real backers who love and respect the developers and the community of strong, independant people here; I like it here because it is not like other forums where you get big publisher shills to try and steer the narrative away from the truth of the subject which is that Derek Smart doxxed Chris Roberts kids in an attempt to sell them into pharmaceutical slavery and he and the other goons are working for big publishers and probably Shillary led death squads to come and take your freedom to pledge for video games.

mindboggling... this is not only going to be the best drat space game but the best drat game ever! its got everything you want in a game! Its like destiny, planetside, wing commander, pit stop, second life, all together in one seamless universe! This is the kind of glorious scale an extremely funded indie can make! No AAA publishers are going to approve of such a thing! hahahahaha

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Aug Set 1

"Strut" is perfectly covering ... everything? I can't see where I'm flying for the most part

How about a CIG appreciation thread? With all the nit-picking going on, let's not forget what they've accomplished so far.

I would like to show my appreciation for CIG being 4 years behind schedule, with core systems being incomplete, unscheduled, broke, or otherwise MIA (I'm looking at you flight model). Also, thanks for not even providing a roadmap for SQ42's release.

I would like to thank CR for lying to my face about the state of SQ42 (and to a smaller degree the PU) for the past four years. I truly appreciate being told that certain systems are already complete, only to find out months later that these same systems haven't even entered concept.

I would like to thank CIG for denying refunds even if those purchases were under older TOS's that allowed refunds once they went 18 months past their own set release date. Honorable mention award goes to the community for defending the company and telling me that I'm not going to get a refund, when CIG doesn't have the gumption to do the same thing (I've been waiting on a non-existent specialist to review my account for 4 months now).

Finally, I would like to show my appreciation to the community, as well. They have, by a large degree, proven themselves to be one of the most defensive groups in video games. Between the constant insults hurled at malcontents or even slightly critical backers, and the fact that this subreddit has one of the highest rates of downvotes on reddit, I couldn't have found tougher place to voice my criticism. I've never felt shunned to such a degree in any other aspect of my life.

CIG can sod off if they want any appreciation from me.

PederP posted:

Take a look at how destructible objects work in CryEngine. They're super-fidelitious, breaking at the correct point of impact and with all kinds of snazzy physics. However, there is a warning

quote:

General performance guidelines:

Keep breakable object very low poly.
Keep boolean object very low poly.
Use breakable objects sparingly in levels, for interesting/strategic gameplay situations.

Create and use Surface Type parameters to limit how often a boolean occurs.
Create and use Surface Type parameters to limit the maximum number of booleans a single object can take.
Performance can lag noticeably when multiple shooters are firing rapidly at a single breakable object, causing multiple booleans simultaneously – to avoid this lag, try not to place boolean breakable objects in an area populated with a lot of shooters.

I wonder if the watermelons are low poly? Who am I kidding - of course, they're not low poly. The Kickstarter promised polycounts better than other games by orders of magnitude. Would be a shame if CryEngine buckled under the load of those fidelitious breakable objects.

Scruffpuff posted:

"Let's put a watermelon in the game."

** Server Crashes **

"OK, let's take the watermelon out."

Game development, everyone.

G0RF posted:

Backers who expected a game after $190 million and 6 years are getting annoyed that they’re instead getting player generated sizzle reels.

quote:

if i have to hear about that 50 player crap one more time... all it shows is the lack of depth currently in the game where you have have to have 50 people group up and do nothing for an hour to have fun for about 15min then go back to nothingness. They showcase these player moment that are created by the players and yes the system created by cig make it possible but there is just no gameplay here for that type of scale that feels natural even watching the vids the people participating are kinda just there they even had to add in exploding ship to make it seem like fun but its really not.

quote:

I hate these 50 players organized stories in the ATV, reminds me of elite dangerous and all these stories of players doing stuff because they are bored as gently caress, and the devs using that to show the game has a lot of content when it doesnt.

shrach posted:

From the filed accounts for Foundry 42 Ltd. They are for the six month period 1 July 2017 to 31 December 2017. A few things I noticed with a quick browse:

1. I know it's an unpopular observation, but employee count continues to rise. Average of 318 employees in the six month period (Up from 284 in the previous six months). We know for sure now that this includes all the employees based in Germany.

2. So far it appears the Coutts loan is a genuine "payday" loan. It is disclosed as being repayable within one year. It is curious though that it amounts to under half the amount due from tax credits. If it were a genuinely good idea to take this payday loan in advance of the tax credits then it should be for the whole amount of the tax credit (It's not a good idea).

3. loving, Robert Space Industries manages to make an appearance in the professionally audited accounts.

Beet Wagon posted:

Something something... emergent gameplay

Sample_text posted:

Some people have been wondering:
What is "winning" in Star Citizen?

This:

Danknificent posted:

holy cheesy crackers nobody could possibly read those words and not want a refund

A Commando posted:

Every time I spawn a particular ship in Port Olisar, I am unable to enjoy the game for what it is. I am constantly harassed simply because of a ship I have purchased to back the game. Numerous players come around my ship within minutes of me spawning it and make attempts to get inside it. They feel they are entitled. Through chat, they make demands that I open doors. I refuse. So then they start ramming my ship. Some have even made sexual and inappropriate remarks. Some refuse to leave after being asked to do so. I have been recording the incidents on video and in each case, reporting it to CIG. If I spawn something other than the ship that I am constantly harassed in, I have no problems in game. It is pretty much an everyday occurrence. What is the point of pledging for large and expensive ships if you have to deal with in-game harassment when you spawn the ship?

TheAgent posted:

"I hate when things are deliberately locked behind a paywall."
--Chris Roberts, One from the Chairman letter, 8/03/2018

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Beet Wagon posted:

I’ve said it before and I’m sure I’ll say it again. Chris Roberts doesn’t understand even the basics of how mmos function or are balanced.

And his idiot followers are eating this poo poo up. You could explain it until you were blue in the face (trust me) but it’s only going to dawn on them when they realize the severs are empty some day in the not too distant future.

peter gabriel posted:

So I thought I'd load up the game and make a fun video.
I cannot, the game will not let me:
Play it
Have any fun

They have designed the little bit of fun there was to be had right out of the game.
So, you now walk like a loving zombie on Prozac now, the tool tips tell you to press shift to run, so I do and I do.
The thing is, what they have done is so transparent with this my eyes rolled 365 degrees in my head and moonwalked away like an Xbox 360.
They have put in more and more 'poo poo zones'
- These first started appearing years ago when the table I used to run on and jump off suddenly auto forced you to walk on it, and no where else but on that one table. This 'fixed' the issue of people jumping through the ceiling.
They now have these anti fun zones on all air locks, so you can no longer run at the doors. You are not able to move with freedom any more in multiple places and it's jarring as gently caress, as well as a SLAP IN THE FACE - it reeks of on rails console games made by EA and hand holding BULL$HIT like what evil publishers put in games.
So that sucks the fun out of that.
Then we move on to being outside. We all know that Star Citizen does not simulate anything at all but when you are outside now you get a tool tip telling you to 'monitor your oxygen levels at all times and press B to take some medicine or some bullshit' - So now you have limited time outside. I pressed B and nothing happened.
This essentially means open world dicking around is dead, you now have a fun tax slapped on that.
Then we have this new loving god awful lovely wank arse UI and how you 'interact with bullshit' - OK, so press F4 to go into 3rd person view, this is my preferred view as it really is the best way to see your commandos ultra 4K butt textures.
Now, want to OPEN A loving DOOR? Well space cadet, prepare to use your wits and training because doors no longer just open, oh no, this is the future after all. You now zombie your rear end up to the door and press F, while pressing F a very hit and miss UI pops up and your wobble your mouse at 5fps over the door handle, so now while doing this click the loving thing, go on click, click like the arsehole you are.
If this has all gone well the IMMERSION ANIMATION will open the door, and now you get to press F4 again to go back to the view you were in - every time.
This is lovely enough with doors but you want to fly a Mustang? Good luck with that, instead of being immersed in the greatest gaming experience of the century you are a twat kneeling down, pressing F, wobbling your mouse and clicking wildly at the ether hoping something, anything happens. If your man hole cover of destiny ever deigns to flop open you pop out of your preferred view, into a god awful view and all hell breaks loose until you mash F4, then guess what? PRESS F YOU BITCH AND CLICK THE loving IMMERSION LADDER - Are you having fun yet? WELL GUESS WHAT? View change out of no where. Press F4 again while totally doing the loving can can upside down and DO IT ALL AGAIN TO SIT IN A loving CHAIR.
They have killed this game dead, this is literally zero fun now.

OK, so I get in my commandos chair and IT GETS WORSE.
So now you do the press F bullshit and your chariot turns on eventually. Now then, after the usual 'Landing Gear Succsfl' welcome message you USED TO be able to hit space bar and zoom up.
Not any more motherfucker
Now you have to (while sat in the chair) press F and wobble your mouse around until you find a START CHARIOT button. This appears to do nothing.
This is as far as I got - Fuuuuuck this. The cockpit is all sort of interactive now with much F pressing going on, the UI too small to read and literally useless.
I never did take off because...

THEY HAVE NOW PUT A FUN TAX ON FLYING
So if you sit in your crap ship on the lovely grey concrete environment for too long you despawn after a warning of 'You are stationary in an active landing pad for too long you arse' warning.
So that was me, done with that poo poo, I got teleported back inside Port Olsisissrarar for loitering, my crime level went up as well, although I doubt that does anything.

I cannot express how poo poo this is now, it's not funny, it's not fun, it's shear joyless crap and you can literally see where they have designed the fun right the gently caress out of it. "People seem to be having fun running in this area and jumping around - I think if we disabled running and jumping that would solve it, also people are playing around on the landing pads, we should really take steps to KNOCK THAT OFF"

That along with 7 minutes loading screens, 12 FPS, chat still full of 'weapons not working' and other shite. It's crap.

Nyast posted:

The project is in such "open development" that nobody can tell a semi-accurate completion progress percentage of Squadron 42. Literally nobody has a clue whether they've developed 25%, 50%, 75% or 90% of the game.

Yeah, that's the state of the most open development game ever.

If you want to trigger a meltdown, just ask them that question.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Aug Set 2

G0RF posted:

The first question asked during Friday’s Q&A was “What’s your current vision for the perfect dogfighting experience in a space game?” It was the question most voted upon by the community, a fact which speaks to present widespread dissatisfactions.

Yet what made it even more incredible to hear was the preface to the question, which saw host Disco Lando stressing to Roberts that their Lead Vehicle Designer John Crewe really wanted to hear the answer to this question, too.

If the internal vision for dogfighting is still so ill-defined six years on that the Lead Vehicle Designer is also eager to hear an answer to this question, it suggests something has gone quite wrong.

Virtual Captain posted:

Let's see what Star Citizern is up to.

lol

I'm glad of it.

Tokamak posted:

"what is 'win'! what is 'win'!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a bag of money

https://giant.gfycat.com/IgnorantYearlyGalapagostortoise.webm

quote:

the roberts approach to game dev; simply dont do it

AtmaTheWanderer posted:

I remember about... 3, 4? years ago a friend called me and asked if I could come help them because they were building a brand new nearly the best money could buy PC and couldn't figure out how to make it work. If memory serves, they just had forgotten to connect the additional CPU power connector.

They were raving and gushing about how the new PC was for Star Citizen, and after we got it booted, much to my dismay, it immediately turned into "let me show you my pokemon. (ships)"

Fortunately, they had plenty of alcohol. At that time I drank and I managed to survive without letting them know how much of a sucker they were.

I'm pretty sure that PC would now struggle to run the nightmare catastrophe this "game" is above 20FPS.

Sabreseven posted:

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/1025540620553728001

For fucks sake, it's a bartender, it's task is to serve drinks and maybe offer a few missions. It doesn't need to be bigged up with buzzwords like 'subsumption' to explain that it serves drinks, goes idle, and offers missions. It's not loving difficult CIG, give it a load of idle animations, have it serve a drink or a mission when asked, that's it, bartenders/mission givers are the most basic character in any game. gently caress, have it change it's likelyhood of giving a drink or mission based on reputation if you're going for 'clever'.

It doesn't require cutting edge AI or a reactive personality, it doesn't need 'subsumption activities' its a loving bartender, no one is going to be debating the finer points of Darwins theory of evolution or chaos theory in relation to creationism with it, Sandi's twitter drone thinks there's need to sugarcoat that CIG are spending 2 loving years getting a simple element like 'pour drink - give mission' and still are 'working on it'. And people think CIG are capable of doing actual complicated stuff? LMFAO!

A Commando posted:

Why would I give up? Everything they released so far is absolutely awesome. Everything they showed to be released in the future looked absolutely awesome. They have great talents. They have budget. They have community support. And I have patience to wait as long as it takes them to deliver this truely revolutionary game.

AtmaTheWanderer posted:

What Citizens Believe: There will be hundreds of thousands of actual NPCs being simulated in the background by the server individually acting like players and performing in-game tasks.

What Real People Actually Believe: There will be some highly exploitable algorithm that simulates the activity of NPCs based on player volume and periodically it will spawn in some dummy ships or NPCs that walk around and emote.

What Will Actually Happen: loving nothing because CIG can't even make doors work correctly 6 years into development. But at least you will be able to e-drink away your e-sorrows as the e-bartender serves you up some e-whiskey.

The Titanic posted:

Now imagine you bought a ship for $1000 but it has no LTI, and in 30 minutes you lose that ship, and now this is you, a space poor with no ship. :)

Imagine the anger posts. This is why I hope Star Citizen succeeds because the drama if it ever launches will be like nothing compared to what we have now. CIG is in a no-win situation.

Hell, I'd be happy if they just start selling ships for in game earnable cash so people can start flipping their lids sooner. :)

PederP posted:

They haven't torn out the stock network engine, which is one of the main issues. One indication is that they had/have a lot of tasks related to porting lua scripts to c++ (because lua scripted objects have some restrictions when it comes to networking, ones which are problematic in regards to performance and optimization). The fact that they were using lua scripting for these objects in the first place gives some insights into how they approach architecture and technical debt.

Scruffpuff posted:

Star Citizen: Don't Play, to Win

colonelwest posted:

This one of the most amazing and entertaining things of this whole debacle for me. Chris has been at this for 7 years and still there is no plan for even the basics of space combat in game that is supposed to be centered on spaceships pew pewing each other. If CIG just needed to a add a lot of content but had the basics of the game nailed down, it would be somewhat forgivable. But, they haven't even designed a game yet. They're just polishing art assets and hoping that the dozen or so recent college grads they have working on coding someday produce a framework they can shove it all into.

Chris has been watching the Expanse... uh oh... I see another major refactoring on the horizon.

But its still "early days" and you should consider yourself lucky that you have access to all this content in an early alpha that only has been under development for a year (or whatever amount of time that best supports my current argument).

Scruffpuff posted:

Chris thinks, unironically, that you can, and should, program full pixel-by-pixel models of everything in the game world. Just build it all. Make ships, make a planet, make a star. Make atmosphere. Make orbits, rotation, revolution, and as long as you've plugged it all in right, that planet will have seasons. Turn on gravity, and all that will work too. He thinks that the computer is capable of creating a simulation of the real world, where pixels are atoms, and art assets are reality.

Chris thinks this is how games are made. You make art assets, you make them high-res, you make them 3D, you lay physics on top, you make planets and a star, you put thrusters on the ship, and obviously all these things will work because physics is a thing and it's in his game and that's why it all just works naturally. No "tricks," commonly known to real game developers as "making a video game." Just The Matrix. Except even The Matrix was less real than what Chris wants because Neo could see the code. Chris can't even see his own rear end, despite his head being permanently stuck inside it.

I am not making this up.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Video in which Chris Roberts wonders if you can change your vector in space by rotating your body.

How the gently caress do you claim to dedicate your life to all things space sim and not understand that?

I get that zero g and orbital mechanics are not automatically intuitive to us since we spend our lives on a surface in the bottom of a gravity well, but it's not an exaggeration to say some kid who played KSP will understand space better than Chris Roberts.

TheDarkFlame posted:

Star Citizen is always dumber than I think it is.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 6, 2018

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Jesus gently caress, that first one is just mind-boggling. What a waste of everybody's time and money this whole thing is.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
gently caress everything else just give me Freespace 3 damnit

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

cosigned forever

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I wanted Starlancer 2 and instead we got Shitlancer: gently caress.

Thank you for this Thread mr.Captain, it's good to be able to keep up without having to wade through the poo poo directly.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Was there any reaction from the citizens when Warframe showed working flyable spaceships for their free-to-play space ninja game, that included almost-seamless ground-to-space transitions, enemy and friendly boarding parties, multi-crew command stations, and basically half the stuff SC has been promising for a half-decade?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Pierson posted:

Was there any reaction from the citizens when Warframe showed working flyable spaceships for their free-to-play space ninja game, that included almost-seamless ground-to-space transitions, enemy and friendly boarding parties, multi-crew command stations, and basically half the stuff SC has been promising for a half-decade?

The same reaction they use for everything. "What company X actually made is cool, but it's nothing compared to what we're going to make. Checkmate!" It's very versatile reasoning.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Yeah. as long as star citizen never comes out, it will always be cooler than things that have been released.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

August Set 3

==fantasies about digital slavery of non-believers==

Why the uninformed trolls are good.

Right now they circljerk with insane uninformed arguments...

But there will come a day...

When the game releases we will have all the game knowledge. And when they come crawling back we can use them as min wage crewmembers.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

1) The game will be hand-crafted by artisan developers to ensure that Goons are miserable and unable to enjoy the best facets of Star Citizen.

2) Goons will still play and be happily enslaved by the Citizens with their 1000$ + real-money sperg chariots, the ultimate revenge for all the FUD during the "development" process.

This is your brain on Star Citizen.

AngusPodgorny posted:

So in Star Citizen doctrine, Chris Roberts will now reward his true believers with an afterlife filled with goon slaves.

Nope, still not getting me to buy in. Last thing I need is more goons around.

colonelwest posted:

Pay to Win doesn't even do it justice though. CIG is peddling DLC spaceship macro-transactions that cost more than a AAA game with a season pass, half of which don't even exist in the game, the other half doesn't even have a flight model designed for them yet and many are missing the mechanics needed to a have a real role in the game. All of these macro-transactions gate off integral gameplay, most of which itself doesn't exist yet. It's sleaze and greed on a level unprecedented in video games.

All of theses Pay to Win discussions are wrong from the start, because they begin with the presupposition that CIG will suddenly shutoff this "pay to dream" money spigot when the game "releases", and that all of these macro-transactions are just "pledges" and "donations" like CIG is the Little Sisters of the Poor or some poo poo. In reality macro-transactions are their income, its what they use to keep their massive corporate structure afloat, service their debt, use as their personal piggy banks and for failed attempts to launch Hollywood careers.

CIG will never give up on this monetization model, because they have no other alternative than to milk their whales more and more in a downward spiral of diminishing returns. They already owe the game to everyone who will ever be interested in it. Star Citizen will always remain in some Alpha/Beta/Early Access grey area and all of the money they receive will go towards "supporting development" and an endless increase in scope. They have nothing to gain by ever calling any version of SC a final release, and Chris recently seems to be scoffing at the very notion.

Scruffpuff posted:

This is kind of an important point, and it's really hard to explain here, but I'll do my best.

If CIG is using a term that is used in actual game development, they're doing it to appear like a real game development studio. In these cases, they're using the term wrong. See: refactoring, pipeline, pre-alpha

If CIG is using a term that is NOT used in actual game development, they're doing it to appear like they're creating cutting edge technology. In reality, the technology has existed for years, if not decades, with a different name, and CIG's implementation is completely wrong and is full of errors that even the actual pioneers didn't make when they were first figuring it out. See: subsumption, tier 0, quantum linking

Oftentimes they will find a way to combine the two approaches, and use real game development terms in a way that makes them appear like they're the first people to figure out a long-solved problem. In every case, they're either using the term wrong, or mangling the underlying technology beyond recognition. See: network bind culling, serialized variables, object container streaming

Scruffpuff posted:

That's what's killing me about this. People try to be edgy and call people "sheeple" and all that other silly horseshit.

Then you see this. You see this, and you think, if certain people aren't sheep, then what the gently caress else can they possibly be described as?

When I see some kid on YouTube look at a lovely ship and say in breathless tones "Oh my God the fidelity" even though he never uttered the word before in his life, that's a sheep.

When I see yet another Reddit post parroting CIG's latest bullshit term like "Tier 0" like they're loving experts, that's a sheep.

When I read another Tweet where someone mindlessly repeats some Subsumption AI fever dream, that's a sheep.

I've never seen a company so easily manipulate a subgroup of humanity before. Even religion has escapees, and that has thousands of years of refinement behind it. CIG has these people on an adamantium leash. There has to be someone at CIG in his 80s with a doctorate in this poo poo and a lifetime of studying cult behavior. CIG tells them what to do, what to donate, and what to say, and the backers obey 100% without question. They are controlled down to the atomic level. Hand puppets have more autonomy.

The Titanic posted:

Chris Roberts thinks that he can convert an arena style game into an mmo by setting int maxPlayers = 1000000;

The issue is that he already promised this.

The difficulty is that he needs to rebuild the entire network system under the core CryEngine system.

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh my god

https://youtu.be/G42MQ1aVjlA?t=41m46s

Chris simply has no idea what he's talking about. He throws around buzzwords but he can't connect the dots. This is pretty largely wrong.

Also his wiggly hand motions are amazing, what the gently caress are you snorting Chris.

"And the final thing is, server meshing, which will.... you know..."

Hahahaha what.

Also when Chris says "then we can get the player count up to 200 or so" Lando stares into the camera like "Are you guys loving this or what? Aren't we amazing?"

No, dude, 200 players in an instance isn't impressive at all. Fix your poo poo.

==Adz Adama continues to slide into Dark Space==

TheAgent posted:

the stimpire's most influential artist

TheAgent posted:

they can't even get walking down a hallway right or opening doors correctly after 7 years, how the gently caress do these people think all this other poo poo is going to work lol

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

A game will "launch", CiG will not implode to an FBI raid after CRYTEK leaks their financials - nor will they ever make the game they have sold to you. It will be a happy bland middle - falling drastically short of anyone's expectations.

Here's the kicker: The only interesting thing which will be going on in Star Citizen is the constant and unrelenting battle of goons vs. cultists.

You need us.

We are the only thing that can provide a glimmer of entertainment with whatever hot mess eventually makes its way to STEAM. We are the bad guys, we are your motive force. We are the only group of people who can be relied upon to play this game with you, regardless of how lovely Star Citizen is. We will be there.

So carry on trying to obfuscate, deflect, and conveniently forget everything CiG is doing during the development of this rolling disaster. When the day finally comes for your autistic birthday party - we are the only kids who are going to show up.

See you in the 'verse.

It's not so bad as people make it out to be

A lot of commentators in here seem to think this is a tumultuous time in the forums/news and that there is a lot of negativity about the project currently.

Sure, I get a lot of you are new and have not been around for the full ride - but honestly. The current tempest in teacups raging around the forums these days are nothing.

Back in 2014? That was when the truly tumultous times were. Forum wars blazed across the ethernets over this game. There were EPIC battles waged for the future direction of the game at that time and the struggles and rhetoric? Titanic.

Those were the days (sigh).

These days? The trolls for sure seem to be stuck in the past and have not really changed their arguements since 2014, but then they were never the most imaginitive lot to begin with.

Back in the day when titans ranged through the forums and the battles truly raged? That was truly a tumultuous time.

big nipples big life posted:

haha "4 years ago, you know, the original release date, was real bad but today, 4 years later when we still are no closer to having a game, are the good times."

Scruffpuff posted:

So if their "in-game" currency is available to buy in limitless quantities from their store, how can anyone reasonably place a value on it?

Here's an example of what I mean. In World of Warcraft, you can buy gold through the store. Now since the game exists, and gold exists, and stuff in the auction house and other places are purchased with gold, it's relatively easy to decide if the gold is worth your money. Perhaps there's a rare mount up for sale, and you can drop $30 or something and get it, and that gold would otherwise take months to accumulate. You might feel that's a worthy tradeoff. Whereas if the $30 of gold barely buys you a healing potion, you'd say "gently caress that" and abstain. The economy, the game, the relative values of time and items can be calculated and you can make an educated decision.

Constrast CIG:

- No design for the game beyond vague notions of "a space game"
- Nonfunctioning models they're calling "ships" with no functions
- No design for functionality beyond bad flight
- No codebase for functionality beyond bad flight
- No design for any in-game systems
- No game loop
- No plans for in-game economy
- No value conversions for in-game currency to in-game items
- No "time to achieve" for in-game items to use for relative comparison

This is nothing more than blind hope purchasing. Buy "in-game" currency with an unknown value, that will be used on unknown items, at an unknown time, at an unknown price, to save an unknown amount of effort.

WTF is this poo poo?

Colostomy Bag posted:

New patch...

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/4/thread/star-citizen-alpha-3-2-2-live-846694-patch-notes

Important part:

Star Marine
Removed watermelons from Echo 11 due their destruction causing a client crash.

Scruffpuff posted:

First shotguns crashed the server. Now watermelons.

There's a lesson here but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Ok so there's like 5 studios working on this game now and every patch seems smaller and less significant

The amount of wasted time with people standing around waiting for final approval on the smallest most insignificant poo poo must be hilarious

Like an entire studio must be burning hours each day just waiting for Roberts to mumble about what pixel needs changed then they're off to crunch all night into the next day

Daztek posted:

https://www.altchar.com/games-news/573632/chris-roberts-defends-uec-cap-removal-in-star-citizen

quote:

Yet, for some reason the game has PvP, which inherently has a clearly defined win-state. This may have slipped the CEO's mind since odds are high that a lot of his brainpower is devoted to the more pressing matter of perpetual monetization.
:drat:

https://gamingbolt.com/star-citizens-chris-roberts-on-communitys-pay-to-win-concerns-you-win-by-having-fun

:allears:

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 8, 2018

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

August Set 4

Scruffpuff posted:

https://twitter.com/squadron_42/status/1027657941145608193

Here's another top-notch bullshit post from CIG whose sole purpose is to mislead the public about the state of the project through implication.

"Our very own Captain MacLaren!"

Wait a second there, Fraud Bear. You don't get to claim an actress who was paid millions of dollars that you stole to get motion capture done that has not yet been placed in a game you have not yet made "our very own." You have nothing of your "very own." You have made nothing and done nothing. Absolutely none of her talent nor accomplishments have rubbed off on you, or been tied to you, in any way whatsoever.

Your "success by association" poo poo is getting pretty loving old now.

boviscopophobic posted:

So, uhhh

Someone else may now own over 11% of CIG UK? :eyepop: :popeye:

Tokamak posted:

ship rental prices looking good

Contingency posted:

Wow, looks like they added a 0 to the end. Conveniently, subscribers get plenty of REC.

A Commando posted:

I can’t defend this game anymore.

SC seemed cool at first but now it looks like it’s going to be empty as all hell. The few areas they fleshed out have taken years to still not complete so how are they expecting to dish out hundreds of space stations and cities etc? I will always be a Roberts fan but I will never preorder a product from him. It’s not that he is a scam artist. Honestly if he was he would have just released the game as is and fired his whole team in order to take the money and run. Funding for SC is very low these days so reall guys this isn’t a scam.....it’s just a guy who aimed way too high and now is being buried in quick sand and can’t find a way out. Really sad to see this as such a respected man in the industry has now tarnished his reputation. This was my dream game....he really let me down. I’m not disappointed for the $100 I invested years ago. I’m disappointed because after all these years I now accept that I will never get that Wing Commander successor I dreamed of since high school.

TheAgent posted:

So in the last few months, you've lost:
Senior Cinematic Animator (Frankfurt)
Associate Gameplay Engineer (LA)
Producer (LA)
Animator (UK)
Animator (UK)
Producer (UK)
Senior 3D Animator (Frankfurt)
Senior Character Artist (UK)
and like a bunch more people (several dozen) but I'm not going to sit here and type out all their poo poo gently caress that

Colostomy Bag posted:

What about the barista? :ohdear:

TheAgent posted:

https://teststudiosblog.wordpress.com/2016/04/06/first-blog-post/
whoever decided to draft this forgot to turn of geolocation settings from where it was posted

Posted From:
3999 Mission Blvd, San Diego, CA 92109
https://catamaranresort.com/san-diego-resorts/directions-to-beach-hotel

April 6th 2016 was a wednesday. someone was having a nice spa day, I'm sure lol
actually this is really weird -- this is the only post from "ieyehaveyou" on wordpress. but those images uploaded still have data associated with them.

backers, this is the kind of poo poo you are giving your money to. so whoever wrote this studio report can have a nice fuckin paid "work destination" vacation at a $300 a night spa resort right on the fuckin beach

lol, keep pledging more

the info points to none other than Nehkara himself, who at the time would have been working with INN, which was created by Jake DiMare/Wolf Larsen, who worked with Swafford etc etc etc. no idea if Nehkara wrote this up or if it was Jake/Wolf or someone else, but it deffo looks like someone at the ol INN was helping write up the studio reports for Crobbear n Co. maybe they got the information leaked to them and were going to post it privately...no idea. but whoever it was was doin it in loving style, that's for sure

Sillybones posted:

TLDR: Walking around in completely boring and empty test level. Somehow more interesting than anything else I have seen from SC.

Dooguk posted:

Some "Never been done before" stuff right there. :)

TheAgent posted:

my fav was also watching that one AtV where they showed the dude working on NPCs and questgivers, and he's like "yeah see so when the player isn't around it puts the NPC into a tpose and then despawns the NPC" and I'm sitting there going WTF IN AN MMO WTF lol

like getting that poo poo to work in an MMO with a thousand player instance limit is just lol

lolllllllllllllllllllll

Quavers posted:

Hot leak action :siren:

Dat texture fidelity and FPS tho :eyepop:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I sexually identify as 0.9 FPS

Colostomy Bag posted:

This looks like Blade Runner with an intern at the helm.

TheAgent posted:

is that really 7 million polys

lol

just need to add in some five or six million poly ships with fog and weather effects and it'll run at 60fps sometime in the 2030s

trucutru posted:

So, from time to time I like to grab a brand new computer to do this search:

It has never failed to be funny.

The pay to win one is new. Good job CIG!

I got thrown out by my wife because I am so depressed I can’t do anything. So I sit alone in my mothers apartment (she’s gone for 6 months) amongst an ever growing pile of garbage and pizza boxes, playing video games for 14 hours a day because I can’t do anything else without wanting to die.
Got a job though, starts today, actually getting ready to leave right now.
Wish me luck

TheAgent posted:

this years citcon is running them almost a quarter of a million dollars just in facility rental fees

I'm hearing they are probably spending $1m+ for this and they can't even sell out of loving tickets lol

Scruffpuff posted:

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1029087515565846528

Another series of lies buried under implication.

"We're giving away another RSI Apollo!"
Giving away - Implies value of gifted item, and generosity of the gifter. Neither is true. Item has no value, does not exist, and game does not exist. Since it exists as only a JPEG, it costs RSI nothing to "give it away."
another - Embeds historical lesson for those who might not have been following - implies this is not the first "giveaway" therefore RSI's generosity is established as a historical trend.
RSI Apollo - More masturbatory self-referential rhetoric pretending this non-game has "lore" such as in-game manufacturers who make ships. None of this exists.

That's a lot of bullshit to pack into 6 words, even for a liar and fraud like Chris Roberts.

Nicholas posted:

#HeardOnTheApollo

The Apollo doesn't exist in the game. No one has been "on" one. There are no players or NPCS staffing one. There is no medical gameplay.

The Saddest Robot posted:

LFM, need epic janitor, 1200+ ilvl mop only

Zaphod42 posted:

Its difficult to enumerate the level of delusion here.

https://twitter.com/Boneitis/status/1028738555055665153

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

:siren: Hot Legal Action Update :siren:

MedicineHut posted:

CONCLUSION
In light of the foregoing, the Court GRANTS in part and DENIES in part the MTD as follows:

1. The MTD is DENIED insofar as it seeks dismissal of all causes of action alleged against Defendant RSI;

2. The MTD is GRANTED insofar as it seeks dismissal of the aspect of Plaintiff’s cause of action for breach that is based on section 2.1.2’s “exclusive” grant to embed CryEngine in the Game;

3. The MTD is DENIED insofar as the request to dismiss the cause of action for breach of contract is premised on California Civil Code section 1655’s implied condition and on section 6.1.4 of the GLA, and insofar as Plaintiff’s claim for breach is predicated on CryEngine’s allegedly unauthorized use in Squadron 42;

4. The MTD is DENIED with respect to Plaintiff’s cause of action for copyright infringement;

5. The MTD’s request that the Court dismiss Plaintiff’s prayers for relief is DENIED with respect to monetary damages, injunctive relief, and statutory damages and attorney’s fees, and GRANTED with respect to punitive damages;

6. The MTD’s alternative request that the Court strike allegations in paragraph 15 of the FAC is DENIED.

Crytek is granted leave to file an amended complaint that cures the deficiencies discussed in this Order, or alert Defendants and the Court of its intent not to file an amended pleading, within 21 days from the date of this Order. Defendants shall file their response within 21 days from the filing and service of the amended complaint. The Court will schedule a Rule 16 Scheduling Conference once the pleadings are finalized.

IT IS SO ORDERED.

Agony Aunt posted:

Interesting parts:

I wonder how intentional that was by CIG/RSI (considering they are effectively the same entity, if not the same legal entity) and what impact this has both on the case and how the judge views the case. Will the judge be thinking "Not binding then" or "these guys are shifty as hell"

Its noted that SQ42 was advertised as being sold as a separate game... interesting.

Oh, there is a nice bit later on where we get into the whole business about Lumberyard as well where its described as being a different engine.

Ah ha, here we go, page 6 - defendants request for dismissal: Defendants advance the theory that RSI is not a party to the GLA... but RSI signed it....

And the next page we have it, the court finds that RSI is a party to the contract due to the signature. Therefore no other arguments relating to this part need to be considered.

1:0 to Crytek

Looks like the cultists got it right on the exclusivity part though. The court interprets it as CIG are not forced to use CryEngine and are not excluded from using other engines. Therefore, in this case, exclusivity means they have the right to use it, not obliged.

Ok, so we are at 1:1 here.

Quick part on the display of logo, this one goes to Crytek, MTD denied on this point.

2:1 to Crytek.

Not clear to the court yet whether CryEngine was used in SQ42 (of course it was) but it determines that SQ42 is a separate entity, therefore MTD denied on this point.

3:1 to Crytek.

Claims for damages as part of the MTD..... and after a long discussion about the law and precendent, MTD on this point is denied.

4:1 to Crytek.

Copyright infringement - MTD, denied.

5:1 to Crytek

Prayer for relief, which comes in part. Monetary damages, denied; injunctive relief, denied; statutory damages and attorney fees, denied; punative damages, Granted! That's plus 3 for Crytek, plus 1 for CIG. Arguably though, that last one is a biggie.

Anyway the scores on the doors:

9:2 to Crytek

Request to Strike by CIG, denied.

10:2 to Crytek.

Crytek can now file an amendment that addresses the deficiencies in the claim OR alert the defendents they will go with this as it stands. They have 21 days to do this.

EDIT: Anyone want to go back and check out that lawyer dude on youtube and his analysis and see how it matches up (or doesn't).... what was his name? Leonard Snart? Hmm... sounds like Captain Cold or something.

Jack the Lad posted:

Maybe Chris Roberts is playing 11D chess with Crytek and they've just given him the perfect excuse to scrap Squadron 42.

"It would have been amazing, what a shame that Crytek's lawsuit means we can never release it."

Bayonnefrog posted:

The MTD was granted on two of the biggest points: the "exclusive" argument that Crytek was making PLUS no punitive damages.

That takes a lot of the sting away. So now Crytek will have to in on the copyright argument and at most will just get $$ for what the original deal was for which big picture isn't that much? Can someone post it? Win for CIG I would say

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

quote:

RSI is a Party to the Contract

Defendants argue that because RSI did not sign the GLA, and the GLA and Amendment
define the “parties” as Crytek and CIG, RSI is not a party to the GLA. Thus, say Defendants, the
Court should dismiss the breach claims as alleged against RSI. In response, Crytek points to the
fact that RSI signed the ToC, and also argues that RSI’s other conduct—including publishing the
Press Release and Bugsmashers video series, and distributing and marketing Star Citizen with and
without display of Crytek’s trademark and copyright notices—amounts to the manifestation of
acceptance of the GLA. The Court first considers whether RSI’s signature on the ToC makes it a
party to the GLA.

The goal of contract interpretation is to determine and enforce the parties’ mutual intent at
the time the contract was formed.

Here, the contractual language at issue is clear, and RSI’s signature to the ToC indicates
that RSI was a party to the GLA.

So the old "why are you suing us?" defense didn't work?

dsmart on twitter posted:

A key part of the "exclusivity" section that some people (apparently even Internet lawyers) are missing/ignoring is the judge's notes at the bottom of p11.

Now take a look at what section 2.4 of the GLA (Game License Agreement) says:

The GLA has not expired and is still contractually valid until otherwise terminated (+ 2 yrs). CIG was NOT allowed to switch to a competing engine.
This is why the judge made those notes because she wanted to point out that even the denial of 2.1.2 on its merits, has no relevance to the big picture because there is already a much larger breach

TheAgent posted:

wonder how skadden will deal with the punitive and exclusivity responses

the weird thing is even without punitive damages, crytek could still ask for tens of millions or that production halt until their codebase is purged of cryengine code

like yeah, the punitive damages thing is awesome because then you can take a percentage of funds from the company or even shareholders to say "you did bad," but proving that there's punitive reasons in a case like this is still a hard sell to a jury (in almost any case, actually) unless you have mountains of evidence that basically confesses the evil scheme and all the assholes in it

We can only hope the lawyers involved on both sides are fans and end up spending at least some of their disposable income back on ships.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 15, 2018

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Well poo poo, 2/12 is more complete than SC, so I imagine the Citizens will be over the moon!

I'm surprised by no punative damages. Though I imagine the fees plus $$$ for discovery-forensics will be bad enough.

Hell, who are we kidding, CIG will go bust before this thing completes.

lofi fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 16, 2018

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
drat nice writeup of the legal action.

Probably more like 10/4 to crytek due to no punitive damages being a big loss.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

El Grillo posted:

drat nice writeup of the legal action.

Probably more like 10/4 to crytek due to no punitive damages being a big loss.

You've still got statutory damages on copyright infringment and breach of contract, and I wouldn't entirely count out Skadden attempting to use discovery to proved intent, or otherwise argue that there was an attempt to damage Crytek. It's weak, but Skadden aren't first year students.

Likewise the exclusivity thing isn't entirely done, depending on how they appeal.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Virtual Captain posted:

:v: posted:

We can only hope the lawyers involved on both sides are fans and end up spending at least some of their disposable income back on ships.

This is beautiful :>.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

August Set 5

Jobbo_Fett posted:

http://staging.imperialnews.network/2016/07/reverse-the-verse-episode-104-summary/

Reverse the verse 104 (July 2016): Disco tells the world that Tyler has played every SQ 42 mission because hes ex-QA.

I know when I'm beat. What you said in the previous comment really hit home now that I've had a chance to think about it. I've been depressed for several years feeling that the world is a scam (from taxes wiping out what little I made to the way society is set up for the grind).

Star Citizen was my last (now misguided) hope of something. Just a dream video game I thought but after considering what you've said and shown I feel like even this was a scam. My whole life was a scam.

I am sorry for my comments here throughout the years and I am going to be leaving this game and community until release.

This has been for the better as now I feel there really is nothing left for me here. Everything I own fits in half a car and any chance for a happy life for me ends here also. I've known things were very wrong with me for a while but looking back and combining it with what you've said I understand my problems are extremely severe. I'm too old for any kind of life comeback. Just a 40 year old loser living with his elderly parents with no future or hope of a decent life that I used to once have.

On Friday I will be deleting this account. Again sincerest apologies for the chaos I've caused. Thank you for helping me realise that even here I was severely wrong.

Breetai posted:

Starloop really is the first time that we've seen a True Believer publicly come to the realization that all of this is a scam in real time and react this way, and it throws into stark relief the argument that one goon (Beer) had with Sandi about their culpability in regards to the mental health of their fans. Yes, there's going to be lots of fans who rage against Goons and lots of fans who keep dreaming and lots of fans who turn on Crobberts when this falls over, but there's also the subset who see this as their only chance at meaningful existence and who will genuinely need suicide counseling when this is done.

quote:

1:27:00 'This is where I get nervous we're four years in, this is should have all been hashed out probably. For somebody who is I mean always always on top of everything, [Chris] does not let any poo poo go. For him to kind of make out as if like the team hosed up; I'm like "Dude you are running the poo poo so you should have known all this stuff!" I'm sorry I'm gonna have to call him out! You are running this poo poo, this is four years down the line you know what's going on, you don't let anybody sign a piece of paper or do anything without your say-so. So sorry this is all on you!'

2:56:00 those accounts are gonna grow exponentially when the game is in beta, when it's in final, even before that. So they are set for funding if their main income is concept sales which people who want the game to succeed will continue to pay them [for]. New backers is where their funding is gonna come from. There's no financial difficulties with Star Citizen and I can pretty much guarantee that without having any idea myself but you can see clearly they're fine

A Commando posted:

tbh i feel like the creators of star citizen dont ever want to finish the game, the constant change of focus and constant updates for things they've updated 10 times already.. it seems like their vision is not a finished product but endlessly updating an unfinished game
i think we have to give them the extra 2years max for squad42 and 4 for the MMO. after that im sorry they dont have a leg to stand on
if we are here in that time in alpha.. yeah im def out
and will be selling my ships..

If anything, it's become increasingly apparent that they can accomplish the things that they are touting, because they are steadily releasing them and at an accelerating pace.

The Titanic posted:

7 years of production:

- AI ships fly in circles, doing basic "come at me bro" attacks endlessly

- AI pedestrians walk on paths, often get stuck

- AI combat troops don't work. No idea when they will actually be in the game. :shrug:

- To improve FPS, AI characters have been removed from the actual game

Before I used to be able to get into my ship before the game would break and fling me into space. However, tonight I logged in and I have to say that CIG has really outdone themselves this time. Not only did I randomly die in the spawn room instantly for no reason, I couldn't even summon my ship to the landing pads.

This level of jank and bugginess after 6 years is quite unparalleled, and I think we should all take a moment to appreciate what CIG has accomplished here.

Sickening posted:

Remember when this game was on the verge of running out of money? Any day now!

You all underestimated the profitability of selling a game that can’t exist.

Zaphod42 posted:

"Its possible I set too high of expectations"

"right now I can't even get off the station!"

"you didn't see it, but he had to take off and fly THROUGH another ship to get out of there!"

THESE ARE THE DEVELOPERS

Engine blown off but still works! ~FIDELITY~

EightAce posted:

Right now the current standing on the Crytek lawsuit is being viewed as a small victory internally. Obviously its not great but it could have been so much worse. Most of the resources and effort is now focused on sq42. There is a game there and it looks fantastic ......but its about as much fun as having root canal surgery and it plays like poo poo. 2020 is the new internal deadline and if it gets missed then even Chris has conceded that its all over. I have no doubt that various internet warlords will say this is horse poo poo and CIG have a matter of days left and all the money is gone and everyone's going to prison etc but the fact is , something is getting released come hell or high water and it will be spectacularly rubbish.

A Commando posted:

shame cig will never take action against any of [the goons or Derek Smart]

Beet Wagon posted:

Patiently waiting for CIG to take action against me for *checks notes* not thinking their video game is very good.

==AtV has been about 10 mins long for about a month now==
AtV (Around the Verse) is CIG’s main “What we are up to” video series and was cut to about 6-10 mins a week a while ago, previously 30-60 mins I think. CIG also has ‘community subscribers’ where you pay some amount of money a month which supposedly only goes to paying for video content.

A Commando posted:

im glad i stopped my sub and i feel for other people who sub. i used to sub for video content so while the new bonuses they have added is nice i dont give a poo poo being how short atv is now. up the content to 30 mins ffs

What new gameplay mechanics would you like to see ASAP?

i think it would be erotic gameplay for RPing

it would involve two players doing stuff of a sexual nature. A lot can be done with this, like bj's, anal penetration, oral etc. Basically any orifice can be penetrated. With or without consent. This would create opportunities for romantic and erotic game play. But also more in depth criminal erotic game play.

The taboo subject of romantic and criminal erotic gameplay

So this has been talked about extensively within this community; the implementation of erotic gameplay. Romantic and criminal. This would increase the immersion within the PU exponentially. Being able to get married to another player or be a renegade hunting for prey. People with avenger stalker's could imprison people who are choosing criminal erotic gameplay aspects etc. How and when should this be implemented?

Othin posted:

Mods please change my username to Criminal Erotic Gameplay

Hiding in a dark corner. Lust is on his mind. Anything can happen.

G0RF posted:

“Star Citizen: Hiding in a dark corner. Lust is on his mind. Anything can happen*.”

*Provided it doesn’t involve :females:. We still haven’t put them in the game yet.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 18, 2018

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
This is Chris's Vietnam

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Amarcarts posted:

This is Chris's Vietnam

Makes sense. I'm sure multiple Lesnicks would fall like dominoes.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

August Set 6

Scruffpuff posted:

It's not really accurate to say that the networking is broken, or the performance is bad, or the game is buggy, etc. - because in reality, there isn't enough code here for that to be true. Nothing is planned - they're still just tossing assets out there.

The network infrastructure isn't hosed, because nobody at CIG has any idea what it is or isn't doing. More than that, they don't even really know what the plan is for the game. Is the networking adequate? Nobody even knows what it does now, much less what they'll need it to do.

Same thing with performance - the engine is a giant question mark that nobody understands. Is it working? Is it not? Does it need tweaks? A rebuild? Design a game and start coding it and they could tell you, but as it stands, nobody loving knows.

Bugs? Bullshit - there's not a single bug in Star Citizen and there never has been. For a game to have a "bug" there has to be a state to compare it against - a known and documented feature that you can contrast and say "it should work like this" and when it doesn't, that's a bug. Star Citizen is a shitload of art assets tossed sideways into a model viewer that occasionally sends packets that may or may not pertain to anything happening anywhere to systems that it may or may not need to send them to. There is no design, no feature set, no gameplay loop, and no expected behavior because they haven't even put in a loving physics or dogfighting game in their spaceship pew pew game yet.

Even when CIG says something negative about itself, never forget the underlying goal is to lie and steal money. Their show called "Bugsmashers" is a perfect example. It makes them look self-deprecating and relatable, but in reality it's implying that the game is so far along into development that it's reached the bug-fixing phase. The game is not yet designed. They're just tossing together any code that will make an image of a ship show up on your monitor and occasionally move.

What CIG has isn't even code. They have not designed a game here - they threw together model viewers, camera hacks, and all kinds of bullshit to give the backers the illusion that they're playing a video game, but it's all smoke and mirrors in the worst way possible. Nothing about this project isn't pure bullshit.

Wise Learned Man posted:

I don't know what's dumber: That they have a guy making up a fake progress report every week, or that they have a guy who literally walks over to a guy working on guns and asks how much he's done in the past week, and gets the response "uh, three percent."

Scruffpuff posted:

When I was a kid I had a toy car that went in a straight line. If it hit an obstacle, it stopped, backed up a while turning 90 degrees, then went forward again. It repeated this endlessly - go forward until you hit something, backup while turning, move forward until you hit something. It was a pointless toy for children who aren't terribly bright.

Star Citizen is also a pointless toy for children who aren't terribly bright, but that's not the analogy I'm making. Their development mirrors that toy's design. They move forward until they hit a wall.

"Ships aren't fun to fly!" "gently caress it start on planets."

"Planets are hot poo poo and bugged and boring!" "gently caress it work on Star Marine."

"Star Marine is pure sewage - it's worse than the first FPS ever made!" "gently caress it work on quest givers."

"Quest givers are poo poo and can't even sit still! Also we have no quests!" "gently caress it, work on procedural eggs."

This is CIG's development path in a nutshell. Attempt, fail, change course. Each time they change course, they further break the earlier poo poo, so when they finally circle back around to earlier failures, all the work has to start over. Presiding over this hot mess is a hunchbacked, drooling moron with half his toupee sticking out of the rear end he keeps his head stored in for the majority of the time.

Star Citizen isn't dead. It's stillborn.

PederP posted:

But there's a very specific reason for the project being about keeping up appearances while raking in crowdfunding and pre-orders: The product they're claiming to make cannot be made. Even if the funding had been given to the best developers in the world with the best leadership at the helm, it could not be made. If they'd sold a project with a smaller, more feasible, scope, they would not have reached the current level of funding.

I think that's a very important lesson from this whole debacle, and a recurring theme with many crowdfunded projects: They're built on the deception that progress has already been made and they're promising something that cannot be made. This gives them access to the market for this speculative product, and right from the start sets the project up to dissapointment and anger the backers (when the real product inevitably differs from what was promised) - or to simply drag along as a masquerade until a plausible collapse can be fabricated (or an actual one happens).

It is also worth noticing that simulation, procedural content and/or AI are usually cornerstones of these fabricated games. All are easy to fake as in-development, all promise a paradigm-shift in gameplay experience, and present difficult promises to see through for many gamers. They're all noticably absent from the AAA titles with their high production values but shallow technology - thus creating a perfect opportunity to exploit the disillusion which is strong among some gamers.

Star Citizen and its ilk appeals to gamers who are like the Man in Black from West World - addicted to gaming and virtual worlds, but craving a deeper experience than what's being offered. They want a game with moving parts inside the space ships - not just fake polygon ships, they want NPCs who aren't just scripted to tell a story but with actual agency and existence, they want multi-player experiences with consequence and forced realism - fellow players need to be part of the game, not just fellow visitors to the theme park. But the irony is that many of these gamers are flawed and broken individuals, who would probably not capable of functioning in, or even enjoying, an actual virtual world.

This is not the last time we'll see a crowdfunded game promising ground-breaking technology and "real" games. There's a huge demand for these games - a demand strong enough to make many gamers forget how Radiant AI, Black & White, No Man's Sky, Horizons - to name just a few - turned out as parodies what was promised.

Some Star Citizen backers just wanted an iterative improvement on the sci-fi sandbox and/or spaceship-pew-pew genres. But this group alone doesn't have the spending power that the crowdfunding opportunists need - so they turn to the Men in Black. The original crowdfunding pitch for Star Citizen was full of signs that this was the case. Anyone claiming the pitch was ok, and it was the scope creep and mismanagement which have led to the current fiasco, needs to go read the pitch again. The drama and failure was inevitable.

I called this when I read the pitch for the first time. Derek Smart is on record as claiming it could be done. Those who kept clear of backing this outcalled the Warlord. I have no doubt this knowledge haunts him. He was once a backer. He fell for the scam. Out-witted by a Crobear, he thirst for revenge and is forever doomed to tweet his rage into the virtual void. Drawn to such a powerful source of nerd-rage, the virtual Cacodemons, hiding their true names behind monikers such as "Maht Daymun" and "minus 5 IQ Derek", grow ever stronger - tainted heralds of the end times, where the lost souls of gamers languish in unfidelitious console gaming hell. Will the Eudaemonic goons be able to save the day through lols and revealing the sickening truths? I hope so, the doggos and cattes deserve a better internet tomorrow.

tuo posted:

Backer: Hello, I would like to register a refund!
CIG: ...
B: Hello, RSI?"
C: What do you mean 'RSI'?
B: I'm sorry, I have a cold. I'm here to register a refund!
C: We're closing for space court action
B: Never mind that, sir. I'm here to complain about this spacesim that I pledged for eight years ago from these fourteen companies!
C: Oh yes, the...uh <waves hands>...quadrupled A spacesim....what's uh...what's wrong with it?
B: I'll tell you what's wrong with it. It's an unreleased broken piece of poo poo...that's what's wrong with it.
C: No, no....it's....uh....in Pre-Alpha
B: Look, buddy, I know an unreleased broken piece of poo poo when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.
C: No no, it's not broken, it's....refactoring. Best drat space sim ever, that Star Citizen, beautiful fidelity!
B: The fidelity does nothing. It's broken beyond belief!
C: Nononono...no, NO! It's refactoring.
B: All right then, if it's refactoring, I'll pull a new update.
(klicks update in launcher)
B: HELLO UPDATE! I'VE GOT SOME CASH TO PLEDGE, LITTLE UPDATE! HELLO UPDATE, RELEASE!!!!
(CIG loads up CitizenCon trailer)
C: There, emergent gameplay!
B: No, that's not emergent gameplay. That's an on rails bullshot trailer!
C: It's not!
B: Yes it it is! (stops video at exactly the right moments to show the cuts between sections)
B: (loads actuall PU, tries to get into ship, clips through floor and dies)
B: Now that's what I call a broken, unreleased game
C: No...no....you don't have enough RAM and no SSD!
B: NOT ENOUGH RAM AND NO SSD?
C: Yeah! Your computer can't play it. BDSSE easily break if they don't get enough RAM.
B: Now look, buddy, I've had enough of this. This game is definitely broken and dead. And when I pledged for it eight years ago, you told me that it's total lack of gameplay was due to the pipelines not beeing in place yet.
C: Well....it's....it's ah <waves hand>....probably taking a bit longer than we expected
B: TAKING A BIT LONGER THAN YOU EXPECTED? WHAT KIND OF TALK IS THAT? Look, why didn't you meet a single deadline from the very moment you started work on this?
C: The BDSSE needs pipelines. It's quadruple-A. The fidelity is amazing
B: Look, I took the liberty of examining this game when I got the right tools, and I discovered that the only reason why we can move around is that everything is underwater, and that even the procgen stuff is actually not procgen, and you simply hide the loading screens with transmition effects!
C: Well, of course we hide the loading and put everything underwater. Else we would be finished with the PU before Squadron42 is ready!
B: Buddy, this game wouldn't be finished if you put four billion dollars into it. It's demised!
C: No, it's refactoring!
B: It's not refactoring, it's passed on! This game is no more. It has ceased to progress. It's outdated and ready for the uninstall button. This is a broken game! It's a turd. Bereft of gameplay, it rests in poo poo! If you hadn't released bullshot on-rails trailers for six years and collected money from idiots, the game would already be forgotten.
C: Well, we better refund it then....
C: Tell you a secret....I never wanted to be a game developer. I wanted to be a hollywood director....

Scruffpuff posted:

Backers seem to have a habit of stating things they have no knowledge of with full confidence that they're right. The thing is, I can play that game too. Example: "Star Citizen is poo poo." The difference is that I'm right and they're not.

no_recall posted:

Whats more engaging is the fact that Citizens do not want to know what happened to their money. And better yet discovery thereof will damage CIG! I don't understand the reasoning and logic behind this train of thought. If they wish obscurity from the company which they place their trust in by giving money, I am unsure how knowing the details of spent monies will in fact damage the reputation of the company, rather it should bolster the trust of backers (to back more). But in this case its CIG.

There's always more, its always worse.

Scruffpuff posted:

"See that crater? You can fit all of Skyrim in that crater."

That quote still loving demolishes me. Chris Roberts, Visionary, doesn't understand the difference between "content" and "size." That's like taking someone to the Sahara Desert, pointing to a giant swath of loving deadly nothing, and saying "You can fit, like, 100 Disney Worlds, right there."

quote:

“I reckon they could finish off most of the tech with dodgy fixes that cause long time bugs”
:ironicat:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

==Crytek updates their filing==

Daztek posted:

:siren: Leagle Beagle Document Update :siren:

SECOND AMENDED COMPLAINT against Defendants Cloud Imperium Games Corp., Roberts Space Industries Corp amending Complaint (Attorney Civil Case Opening)1 , Amended Complaint/Petition18 , filed by plaintiff Crytek GmbH(Pak, James)
http://docdro.id/X4V4AC9

NOTICE of Filing SECOND Amended Complaint And Suggestion That Rule 16 Conference Be Convened filed by plaintiff Crytek GmbH.(Pak, James)
http://docdro.id/Btqzzhy

Some fun stuff:

Tokamak posted:

*loads up /r/sc to find yet another lawsuit post*

CryRekt again :cawg:

Scruffpuff posted:

Many here believe that discovery will not be public, therefore our LOLs will be limited. To them I say: have you even been following this debacle? CIG is the uncontested champion of unforced errors. Can you imagine the kind of poo poo that's going to happen if discovery proceeds? We'll see daily patches as they scrub stolen art assets that still have the watermarks. We'll see constant code changes and frequent last-moment TOS changes. We'll be able to reverse-engineer, purely from observing CIG's panic-stricken actions, exactly what discovery is turning up.

That is the path of most humor.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I don't see why anyone, especially that youtuber law guy, is getting so worked up about this. This is simply a decision on the motion to dismiss and no critical evidence has yet been provided and the judge is basically just looking at this to see if there is any merit. Once they go to court, CIG will wipe the floor with Skadden and Skadden will have to give CIG 100 billion dollars for wasting their time and stopping work/progress on Star Citizen and Squadron 42.

Scruffpuff posted:

with Chris Roberts "heading" the project, they had a practically limitless well of errors to draw from. Chris is interesting because he can fail in any direction. If this is what takes CIG down, it's both funny and sad, because this kind of thing could take any company down. CIG still had years of very special failures ahead of it.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Skadden: How's it going with that MTD ruling response Arps?

Arps: *quickly minimizes window on computer screen* Ahh..... good......good - we have a good shot at invoking the other clause as the basis for....

Skadden: What was that?

Arps: .....What was what?

Skadden: On your computer screen, what was that?

Arps: Oh nothing, just some research.

Skadden: *Takes mouse and opens window* ......Researching the price of spaceships?

Arps: Look Skadden, this game... this game is going to be the best drat space sim ever. Do you know that they'll have a fully procedural cocktail crafting system?! People from all over the 'verse will come and hang out in my spaceship to get a taste of the cocktails I've made! Look at this crater, you can fit like three Skyrims in there!

Skadden: *Smiling, he puts his hand on Arps's shoulder* I know Arps. I know. I bought an Idris yesterday.

Arps: Wow, does it come with LTI?

Skadden: New money baby!

*They both fist bump*

PederP posted:

I would be extremely surprised if they aren't still using CryEngine. This includes CryEngine tools (editor, server binaries, asset format converters/exporters) and source code. Looking at the various videos, the logfiles, the distributed game client files - everything I've seen points at the Lumberyard switch being a sham. Having this exposed would have disastrous consequences - one could say it would be the ELE.

Also, come to think of it, wouldn't this theory being true mean that CIG lied in the motion to dismiss?

==CIG responds==

Daztek posted:

http://docdro.id/N0hyv2e

Pls no discovery, pls, judge, DO SOMETHING

quote:

Defendants Cloud Imperium Games Corp. and Roberts Space Industries Corp.
(collectively, “Defendants”) oppose Plaintiff Crytek GMBH’s (“Crytek”) “suggestion”
to modify the Court’s order
regarding the timing of a Scheduling Conference. Crytek
buries its suggestion in a “Notice of Filing of Second Amended Complaint” that lacks
any basis under the FRCP, the Local Rules, or the Court’s Standing Order.

The Court’s August 14 order on Defendants’ motion to dismiss Crytek’s First
Amended Complaint (the “Order”) provided a clear, sound decision, on a matter
squarely within the Court’s discretion, to schedule a Rule 16 Scheduling Conference
after the pleadings are finalized. (Dkt. 38, at p. 22.) Crytek’s “suggestion” that the
Court immediately convene a Rule 16 conference or, alternatively, “simply . . . direct[]”
the parties “to proceed with discovery now” directly challenges the Court’s Order. In
essence, Crytek is asking the Court to reconsider its Order. This is improper.
To the
extent Crytek seeks relief from the Court’s Order, it may do so by filing a noticed
motion pursuant to FRCP 60 and providing the necessary evidence to establish good
cause for such relief.

Crytek filed its Second Amended Complaint yesterday, on August 16, 2018. As
Crytek acknowledges, Defendants may elect to file a motion to dismiss Crytek’s new
claim added to the Second Amended Complaint.
Because the outcome of that motion
could again significantly impact the scope of discovery, the Court’s decision to
schedule a Rule 16 Schedule Conference once the pleadings are finalized was sound
and should not be disturbed.

The Court should reject Crytek’s improper attempt to circumvent the rules of this
Court and not deviate from its sound determination to issue the Scheduling Order after
the pleadings in this case are settled.

Loxbourne posted:

CIG's defence so far has been consistently to pound the table and bellow HOW DARE YOU. They're still doing it (HOW DARE YOU APPLY FOR DISCOVERY TO BEGIN BEFORE WE'VE APPLIED FOR ANOTHER MOTION TO DISMISS YOUR NEW PLEADINGS). They'll do it all the way, because it boosts Ortwin's ego.

Alchenar posted:

"You don't sue your clients"

Apparently all of commercial law is an illusion because no business would sue someone they had a contract with.

The past 4 years were weak but the 4 coming ones are so far the most exciting we will ever witness

I've sent the judge in the Crytek case a letter informing her about how SC is not just a regular game and how she should ensure that the case does not proceed any further unless she wants to harm innovation. I suggest everyone does the same.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Oh my god, these fuckin' snowflakes. "Our project is too innovative/important to have the law apply"

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
That letter is even better than the AMD letter

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Oh wow, how long before the death threats start hitting the judge? :magical:

e: It's about ethics in video game law

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

August Set 7

Nyast posted:

CIG changed CryEngine so much ( 60-70% ) that it's now a completely different engine ( StarEngine ).

.. but it only took a day or two to switch from CryEngine to Lumberyard !

Nope, don't see a contradiction here. Who knew switching 60-70% of an engine was so easy ?

(For those that are less tech-savy, the point I'm making here is common sense: the more heavily modified an engine is, the harder the switch/merge to another engine is. If it really took a few days to switch to LY, then it necessarily implies the amount of modification to CryEngine was low, maybe less than 10% ).

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I like the narrative that CryTek needs CiGs modified code.

CryTek have been regularly doing performance passes on Hunt:Showdown roughly every other patch. (The others being content/balance updates) Since the early alpha my FPS has about doubled and holds strong at 60 basically always. Oh and the game looks prettier than Star Citizen.

But no, these people must be so incompetent at their own engine that there's some nugget in CiG's tangled mess of code that they need to get a hold of, so they hire one of the most expensive law firms in the country to sue them on false pretenses. If that's not true, then CiG may actually have done something wrong, which is not possible.

Grubby Hobo posted:

This is what keeps me from thinking that the Commandos are just people who want the game they were promised, and are imbued with a larger-than-usual amount of hope.

If you can look at the current state of Star Citizen, and imagine that there is amazing tech there that Crytek is drooling to get their hands on, then you are in some place I cannot even conceive.

Hint: "Make that 32 bit variable 64 bit" is not amazing tech.

The Titanic posted:

Part of the fun of "assuming Chris Roberts is using my money on the game" is not finding out how the money has actually been spent. The reality is something people are very actively trying to avoid (along with CIG), because it will move aside one of the many curtains of mystery and faith.

When you know something, you're almost mentally bound as a human being to take some kind of action. Once they know "this guy is literally burning my money" it will be not only harder for them to spend money, but equally hard to get other people to buy in. Not knowing gives people this ability to assume, and when you know the outcome, sometimes you just don't want to know.

It's like the grossly sick person saying "I'll be fine" when people try to get them to go to the doctor. Knowing what they have means they have it. All the way up until they are told this thing, they don't technically have anything and they fool themselves into believing everything is about to get better if they just wait a little longer.

colonelwest posted:

I think Chris' real ambition was to use SC to relaunch his Hollywood career. The only thing he's ever seemed to have wanted since the Wing Commander days is to be a Hollywood director, and he is stuck in the old video game industry mindset that movies are a superior medium to video games. You can see this in endless interviews where he waxes poetically of his days directing the WC movie, and how it would have been a masterpiece if only he had more time. It's why he set up shop in LA, an area so expensive that even giant publishers like EA have moved most of their operations elsewhere. It's also why he went on an obscene spending spree on mocaping A list actors. He thought by hobnobbing with Hollywood elite from the comfort of a flashy corporate headquarters he would get back into their good graces after being run out of town in the late 2000's.

The game could be outsourced with little effort or oversight and it would all just build itself. He had been disconnected from the game industry for so long that he actually believed that the technology existed to create games that verged on being full fledged virtual worlds, but lazy big publishers were holding this back. All that was needed was his vision.

But it all failed, Hollywood still remembered him as a unscrupulous moron who ran a production company into the ground and screwed people out of money. The A list actors and others he worked with for the mocaping, cashed their paychecks and then stopped returning his calls. So now he is stuck actually being in charge of producing a game, a position he never wanted and is supremely unqualified for. But his ego won't let him admit defeat or even scale back the scope of the game. Despite all of the money grubbing, what he want most of all is to be hailed as a creative genius and Star Citizen is his last real chance at this. I think that Chris still wants to release a game, and is desperate to salvage something of his reputation. Star Citizen is a scam, but its not a purpose built one, it evolved into a scam due to equal parts greed, incompetence and a toxic and codependent community.

Crytek Says CIG Must Give Them Credit. A Star Citizen Lawsuit Update

It's a shame that CryTek feels the need to be this petty. I feel like it's pretty obvious that they are trying for an easy payday off a former customer with this frivilous lawsuit. Any potential customer of theirs in the future is going to have to look at this case and decide if it's worth the risk of doing business with CryTek.

Wise Learned Man posted:

90 points. That post got 90 loving points. Yes, CryTek is being "petty" by asking for the contract CIG signed to be honored. They're looking for an "easy payday" by hiring one of the top-billing law firms in the world. It's especially egregious that they would dare to trouble a "former customer" (Vertisce has surely read the contract and has seen proof that CIG previously fulfilled all the requirements necessary to be released from it) with this "frivilous" [sic] suit. :psyduck:

This bodes well for Star Citizen.

no_recall posted:

YOUTUBE: Calling All Devs - Weapons at Rest

Welcome to another week of lovely stuff over skype!

Eddie Hilditch, Global Environment Lead - poor dude is working while he's sick. WTF CIG!
Q: When ArcCorp gets added, will be see the "Aaron Halo" some gateway that sits between ArcCorp and Stanton?
A: No. Also waiting for tech to arrive for asteriods. Not being developed at the same time.

Jon Crewe, Pipeline dude.
Q: How can ships hover? Suspension of belief failed. Thrusters too powerful.
A: Maneuvering thrusters are very powerful for various purposes. We have plans to sort them out.

Q: With planets and bodies of water in 3.3, will we see atmospheric ships and aquatic this year?
A: No, not planning or designing, this year. Means, NOT RIGHT NOW. No plans in MOTIONS RIGHT NOW. Lots of cool and exciting possibilities but nothing written for it yet.

Jonny Javevicius, Senior Systems Designer
Q: Will there be weapon rest character positions to help prevent provoking attacks when provoking each other (lol the griefing possibilities)
A: So, uh... thats something we can actually definitely do. [ insert bullshit here ] Thats something we want to put in as well. Role play option, holstered but not. We want to get this in for AI. Get rid of green zones. Want to know how the guards are reacting toward you, this will give you an indication on how the area reacts toward you.

Lol another week of nothing burger.

Wise Learned Man posted:

2019 is definitely gonna be Star Citizen's year. Definitely.

G0RF posted:

TWO NEW GLASSDOOR REVIEWS

REVIEW #1

“...they literally do not know what they are supposed to be having us produce.”

quote:

CONS

For software devs

1. Low pay imo
2. The crunch is real, constant, and often ends up being purposeless.
3. Management does not actually know what product is being made. I don't mean that in a "they are dumb" sense. Most middle management I worked with are actually effective and fair to employees. I mean that they literally do not know what they are supposed to be having us produce. It makes it hard to work on "your piece" so to speak.
4. Theres a serious braindrain effect here.

For Fans

1. Much of what the upper management has said in a 10 for the chair man, presentations etc is not really realistic for the game in my opinion
2. Be nicer to your fellow fans. Their like/dislike of the game by any one fan/detractor will not affect the game's outcome.
3. The team wants to give you a great game, they (as I am gone) need your support more than ever before.
4. Marketing is often created by a separate company. Be aware of this and adjust your expectations accordingly. The new medical ship is a perfect example. The team are handed a ship concept and must create a game around it.

REVIEW #2

“The organisation is ridiculous and you can be working on the same thing for a year or two and see it being restarted for the 4 th time because they don't really know what they want.”

quote:

PROS
+ Impressive project that could definitely become a benchmark in the industry.

CONS
- Unfortunately a lot of those talented people fled the place with the very same outlook on the company.
- The organisation is ridiculous and you can be working on the same thing for a year or two and see it being restarted for the 4 th time because they don't really know what they want. It happened many time to me that my work had to please my lead then the person above him and finally Chris Roberts himself. Sometime Chris would be happy about it and then suddenly decide it wasn't what he wanted.
- Moral of the team is really low
- Management has a close look on everything you do and monitors it really closely knowing every time you are not doing what you are supposed to and sending a mail to the whole team about it in a very aggressive way. You will feel like you are at school sometime, which truly isn't great and everybody hope they stopped with those kind of mails.
- A lot of juniors have been made seniors in 3 years or less with not even a single title shipped simply because, a lot of the seniority left the company.
- Incredibly stressful with some inconsistent deadlines coming out of nowhere with work having to be a made in a month or so for a video presentation, requiring people to crunch incredible hours and coming on the weekend to work.
- Salaries seems high but when you realize you are working 9h minimum each day, it isn't that good at all.

Advice to Management
Be more understanding that game making is a very creative process and requires a bit of freedom and less control over what people do or don't. everybody I know worked hard and sometime still get put back in place simply because they were seen on youtube for a minute or two . It creates an environment where everybody is looking over their shoulder stressed of being caught not working for a minute. even when those same people keep their deadlines, do overtime and come to work on weekends.

Sabreseven posted:

Sexual preference: Children

(Sorry but that's the first thing that creepy loving face made me think of it, and I did giggle, hard)

I invested ~$2.7k into the development of Star Citizen, and I don't regret a single penny.

I'm one of those players who simply won't have the time to work towards any significant ship in game. I work a lot and after commuting, I'll have one hour in the night to play before going to bed.

~2.7k may seem like much, but I don't see what else I should give it out for. You say holiday maybe? That's 1.5k a week including flight, accommodation and food. The hotel usually is filthy, doesn't look like on the pictures and you booked "sea view" but you can only see a glimpse of it at the horizon. Honestly, holiday means stress and frustration, at least to me. I much rather invest that money into the game I was wishing for since I was a child.

Honestly, I can't think of anything more worthy to spend my hard earned money on than the development of SC.

It makes me angry when game media looks down upon us. We have our reasons and are able to make our own decisions.
Thank you very much.

I can’t help but stare at the writing on the wall in awe and wonder how other’s can’t see it. I’m not even trying to be a troll or anything right now, I’m just voicing my genuine point of view, and the fact that I’m legitimately worried that voicing these concerns will get crazy amounts of hate thrown at me from this sub is indicative of even further issues... but I digress.
We are, what, 6 years into this game now? We really don’t have even 1/10th of what we were supposed to have had long ago. Where is Sq42? AI is broken. The flight model is just arbitrarily changed at whim (and worse each time at that). How on earth are they supposed to accomplish a way of getting more than maybe 30 people in an instance? Big capital ship battles will never occur. Just manning a single large ship will require like one third of available players per instance. Now they’re selling ships that are supposed to be able to literally BUILD BASES ON MOONS? And selling LAND? That’s pretty much when I had my “Come to Jesus” moment that this whole project has gone off the rails. There’s not a chance this gets done. It’s just so brutally obvious in my opinion and I’m $600+ in, yet what I’m seeing is indefensible. Not to mention how much the people of this sub will just roll over as CR takes them for a ride. If the outlook for Star Citizen as it is now was what was pitched from the start probably 80% of you would’ve hard passed.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
What's with the Astroboy pictures? Who's making those?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Terminally Bored posted:

What's with the Astroboy pictures? Who's making those?

That's AdzAdama, a seemingly true believer who expresses his adulation for Star Citizen through modern art; however the increasingly frequent depiction of Astro Boy/Mighty Atom (Adam~Atom I guess) and his inner conflict/outward expression of doubt perhaps signals a negative shift in the artist's attitudes toward the project as a whole

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

The dude with the beard holding beers has amazing beard hair. That is all.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Mario death mask posted:

That's AdzAdama, a seemingly true believer who expresses his adulation for Star Citizen through modern art; however the increasingly frequent depiction of Astro Boy/Mighty Atom (Adam~Atom I guess) and his inner conflict/outward expression of doubt perhaps signals a negative shift in the artist's attitudes toward the project as a whole

Does he post those on Spectrum? And if so, what kind of reaction is he getting from the people there?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Was I dreaming or was there a 'free' weekend for Star Citizen last weekend? Was there any fallout from that?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Phrosphor posted:

Was I dreaming or was there a 'free' weekend for Star Citizen last weekend? Was there any fallout from that?

It's this weekend. I think today is the last day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Trilobite posted:

Does he post those on Spectrum?

I can't believe I didn't see how much sense this name makes before now.