Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Even if all Chris Roberts says about pay to win is true* …. why would you let people start buying in game money before the game even has a release date?

It can only be greed. …. due to Chris inability to project manage and/or be a modem game developer ……. and his need to be a big shot Hollywood porches driver.

* It's not, it's so out of touch with gamers it's another joke on top of Star Citizen.

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Aug 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

TheSickeningTruth
Jul 22, 2018

Some people even pay a monthly tithe, supposed to allow the making of AtVs and other youtuberies.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

The Saddest Robot posted:

Ah, so they've just started doing the prep work for Object Container Streaming? They haven't even started on it?

Why the surprise ? They're pulling that poo poo over and over and over and nobody notices. Think about tier-zero mining. They started on it last january despite being originally announced for the 3.0 jesus patch more than 2 years ago.

This is their strategy: always make it look like some cool new feature is around the corner ( "Answer the Call.." ) when in reality it isn't even started yet.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Let's see what Star Citizern is up to.

lol good

Virtual Captain posted:

That's one thing I love about Star Citizer. Get bored of laughing at [x] this week? Spin the wheel and laugh at [y]2 because there's practically no limit the facets of failure at going on with CIG and the backers.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 5, 2018

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

peter gabriel posted:

I cannot express how poo poo this is now, it's not funny, it's not fun, it's shear joyless crap and you can literally see where they have designed the fun right the gently caress out of it. "People seem to be having fun running in this area and jumping around - I think if we disabled running and jumping that would solve it, also people are playing around on the landing pads, we should really take steps to KNOCK THAT OFF"

This is what you have wrought, PGabz. You embarrassed them so much (and they were so incapable of doing anything else about it) that they've gone through the game just to stop people like you from making it look bad and ruining their immersion.

Congratulations. You were enough of a thread to Star Citizen's funding stream that actual SC devs were tasked with blocking your shenanigans. Backer money was spent to stop you embarrassing CIG further. Be proud; that puts you in a very elite category with Beer and Derek themselves.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

He looks like he’s Elon Musk’s disabled brother

I laughed, then i felt really bad.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

For all my low effort jokes I've never been to that site before. I only know of them what I've seen posted in memes and crap that need to feature something insanely corny yet strangely sexual.

Take a monocle.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

peter gabriel posted:

So I thought I'd load up the game and make a fun video.
I cannot, the game will not let me:
Play it
Have any fun

They have designed the little bit of fun there was to be had right out of the game.
So, you now walk like a loving zombie on Prozac now, the tool tips (they have added a lot of these) tell you to press shift to run, so I do and I do.
The thing is, what they have done is so transparent with this my eyes rolled 365 degrees in my head and moonwalked away like an Xbox 360.
They have put in more and more 'poo poo zones' - These first started appearing years ago when the table I used to run on and jump off suddenly auto forced you to walk on it, and no where else but on that one table. This 'fixed' the issue of people jumping through the ceiling.
They now have these anti fun zones on all air locks, so you can no longer run at the doors. You are not able to move with freedom any more in multiple places and it's jarring as gently caress, as well as a SLAP IN THE FACE - it reeks of on rails console games made by EA and hand holding BULL$HIT like what evil publishers put in games.
So that sucks the fun out of that.
Then we move on to being outside. We all know that Star Citizen does not simulate anything at all but when you are outside now you get a tool tip telling you to 'monitor your oxygen levels at all times and press B to take some medicine or some bullshit' - So now you have limited time outside. I pressed B and nothing happened.
This essentially means open world dicking around is dead, you now have a fun tax slapped on that.
Then we have this new loving god awful lovely wank arse UI and how you 'interact with bullshit' - OK, so press F4 to go into 3rd person view, this is my preferred view as it really is the best way to see your commandos ultra 4K butt textures.
Now, want to OPEN A loving DOOR? Well space cadet, prepare to use your wits and training because doors no longer just open, oh no, this is the future after all. You now zombie your rear end up to the door and press F, while pressing F a very hit and miss UI pops up and your wobble your mouse at 5fps over the door handle, so now while doing this click the loving thing, go on click, click like the arsehole you are.
If this has all gone well the IMMERSION ANIMATION will open the door, and now you get to press F4 again to go back to the view you were in - every time.
This is lovely enough with doors but you want to fly a Mustang? Good luck with that, instead of being immersed in the greatest gaming experience of the century you are a twat kneeling down, pressing F, wobbling your mouse and clicking wildly at the ether hoping something, anything happens. If your man hole cover of destiny ever deigns to flop open you pop out of your preferred view, into a god awful view and all hell breaks loose until you mash F4, then guess what? PRESS F YOU BITCH AND CLICK THE loving IMMERSION LADDER - Are you having fun yet? WELL GUESS WHAT? View change out of no where. Press F4 again while totally doing the loving can can upside down and DO IT ALL AGAIN TO SIT IN A loving CHAIR.
They have killed this game dead, this is literally zero fun now.

OK, so I get in my commandos chair and IT GETS WORSE.
So now you do the press F bullshit and your chariot turns on eventually. Now then, after the usual 'Landing Gear Succsfl' welcome message you USED TO be able to hit space bar and zoom up.
Not any more motherfucker
Now you have to (while sat in the chair) press F and wobble your mouse around until you find a START CHARIOT button. This appears to do nothing.
This is as far as I got - Fuuuuuck this. The cockpit is all sort of interactive now with much F pressing going on, the UI too small to read and literally useless.
I never did take off because...

THEY HAVE NOW PUT A FUN TAX ON FLYING
So if you sit in your crap ship on the lovely grey concrete environment for too long you despawn after a warning of 'You are stationary in an active landing pad for too long you arse' warning.
So that was me, done with that poo poo, I got teleported back inside Port Olsisissrarar for loitering, my crime level went up as well, although I doubt that does anything.

I cannot express how poo poo this is now, it's not funny, it's not fun, it's shear joyless crap and you can literally see where they have designed the fun right the gently caress out of it. "People seem to be having fun running in this area and jumping around - I think if we disabled running and jumping that would solve it, also people are playing around on the landing pads, we should really take steps to KNOCK THAT OFF"

That along with 7 minutes loading screens, 12 FPS, chat still full of 'weapons not working' and other shite. It's crap, if anyone is on the fence about buying this just to see how bad it is, don't - Instead get off the fence and stare at it for an hour, it's more fun.

I'm sure that creating random zones in which you cannot sprint, jump, or croutch is a good solution to a glitchy character movement system that will scale well across dozens of systems.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Better idea than repairing the movement system in the FPS engine CIG managed to break, that's for sure.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

That was 1956. Khrushchev died in 1971 and was out of power by 1964.

I am shame.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

To communicate where CIG has determined you can't do anything but walk lest your character start clipping through the world geometry, "CAUTION: WET FLOOR" signs will start popping up everywhere. On the tables. In the Olisar airlocks. Atop each ship.

Bug Report 456633479908822: Sand dunes on Xi'an buffer world Globglob launches jogging characters into orbit

"Easy, wet floo--uh, 'wildlife area'."

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

binge watching the great British baking show

It’s part of an entire covert British intelligence project to introduce America to bread that isn’t just ‘Italian’.

A companion show, ‘Sausage Party’, was apparently badly researched.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mu77ley posted:

Come on! This place isn't that bad...

We make Mos Eisley look like Disneyland.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

French bread is a thing in the states

Wonder bread from the Amazonian home island, too

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

peter gabriel posted:

So I thought I'd load up the game and make a fun video.
I cannot, the game will not let me:
Play it
Have any fun

They have designed the little bit of fun there was to be had right out of the game.
So, you now walk like a loving zombie on Prozac now, the tool tips (they have added a lot of these) tell you to press shift to run, so I do and I do.
The thing is, what they have done is so transparent with this my eyes rolled 365 degrees in my head and moonwalked away like an Xbox 360.
They have put in more and more 'poo poo zones' - These first started appearing years ago when the table I used to run on and jump off suddenly auto forced you to walk on it, and no where else but on that one table. This 'fixed' the issue of people jumping through the ceiling.
They now have these anti fun zones on all air locks, so you can no longer run at the doors. You are not able to move with freedom any more in multiple places and it's jarring as gently caress, as well as a SLAP IN THE FACE - it reeks of on rails console games made by EA and hand holding BULL$HIT like what evil publishers put in games.
So that sucks the fun out of that.
Then we move on to being outside. We all know that Star Citizen does not simulate anything at all but when you are outside now you get a tool tip telling you to 'monitor your oxygen levels at all times and press B to take some medicine or some bullshit' - So now you have limited time outside. I pressed B and nothing happened.
This essentially means open world dicking around is dead, you now have a fun tax slapped on that.
Then we have this new loving god awful lovely wank arse UI and how you 'interact with bullshit' - OK, so press F4 to go into 3rd person view, this is my preferred view as it really is the best way to see your commandos ultra 4K butt textures.
Now, want to OPEN A loving DOOR? Well space cadet, prepare to use your wits and training because doors no longer just open, oh no, this is the future after all. You now zombie your rear end up to the door and press F, while pressing F a very hit and miss UI pops up and your wobble your mouse at 5fps over the door handle, so now while doing this click the loving thing, go on click, click like the arsehole you are.
If this has all gone well the IMMERSION ANIMATION will open the door, and now you get to press F4 again to go back to the view you were in - every time.
This is lovely enough with doors but you want to fly a Mustang? Good luck with that, instead of being immersed in the greatest gaming experience of the century you are a twat kneeling down, pressing F, wobbling your mouse and clicking wildly at the ether hoping something, anything happens. If your man hole cover of destiny ever deigns to flop open you pop out of your preferred view, into a god awful view and all hell breaks loose until you mash F4, then guess what? PRESS F YOU BITCH AND CLICK THE loving IMMERSION LADDER - Are you having fun yet? WELL GUESS WHAT? View change out of no where. Press F4 again while totally doing the loving can can upside down and DO IT ALL AGAIN TO SIT IN A loving CHAIR.
They have killed this game dead, this is literally zero fun now.

OK, so I get in my commandos chair and IT GETS WORSE.
So now you do the press F bullshit and your chariot turns on eventually. Now then, after the usual 'Landing Gear Succsfl' welcome message you USED TO be able to hit space bar and zoom up.
Not any more motherfucker
Now you have to (while sat in the chair) press F and wobble your mouse around until you find a START CHARIOT button. This appears to do nothing.
This is as far as I got - Fuuuuuck this. The cockpit is all sort of interactive now with much F pressing going on, the UI too small to read and literally useless.
I never did take off because...

THEY HAVE NOW PUT A FUN TAX ON FLYING
So if you sit in your crap ship on the lovely grey concrete environment for too long you despawn after a warning of 'You are stationary in an active landing pad for too long you arse' warning.
So that was me, done with that poo poo, I got teleported back inside Port Olsisissrarar for loitering, my crime level went up as well, although I doubt that does anything.

That along with 7 minutes loading screens, 12 FPS, chat still full of 'weapons not working' and other shite. It's crap, if anyone is on the fence about buying this just to see how bad it is, don't - Instead get off the fence and stare at it for an hour, it's more fun.

Thank you.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

intardnation posted:

it is so open they have 2 different trackers. One for the public and one internal.

The most open development ever needs two sets of books.

I guess we could start adding an asterisk to the ‘this roadmap is drawn from our internal tracking systems’.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
The new narrative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkGlgIlZAp4&t=575s

BoredGamer posted:

It's not this super competitive Overwatch game that is... that can be pay to win, it is a much more roleplay larger gameplay experience. That it's supposed to be an adventure for everyone and they can do whatever they want to do; some people are gonna be playing this like Second Life in space.

I suppose if you want a capital ship join an org, and the organization system in Star Citizen I think is key for a lot of people's enjoyment - crewing manpower, being actually skilled at doing a particular job - these are all important tenets of the game and everyone's gonna be probably more skilled of certain areas than others.

The 1v1 mentality of play to win isn't as applicable in Star Citizen it isn't about owning a ship.

BoredGamer doesn't understand gamers. Shocking revelation I know.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

I thought it was called freedom bread now?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Quavers posted:

The new narrative:

"They can do whatever they want to do"

This is the core promise, and the core lie, of star citizen. The idea that the game will let you do anything. And of course by definition that is impossible.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
It'll let you do anything you want.

Unless you want to run or jump near a door.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quavers posted:

The new narrative:

And yet people screamed ED was pay to win with Horizons and even... wait for it.... that some backers got to start with a Cobra Mk3 instead of a Sidewinder! *shock*

Ok, there is a point with Horizons to some extent, engineering does add power and it is especially important in PvP. My hope here is that FD wrap Horizons into the base game with 4.0 and it will put that issue to rest.

But i wonder how many SC fans screamed ED was pay to win with Horizons... i'm sure i've seen a post or two like that on the Steam forums on those occasions where a SC acolyte started a thread to promote SC.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

Ironically, "Lifetime Insurance," the thing that they said over and over again barely even mattered, is the wrench stuck in the gears that makes Star Citizen pay to win. The simple fact that you can pay for something that is impossible for you to lose is what shoots the "But but but EVE has pleeeeeeex" line in the foot.

also, congrats on having thought more about MMO economies in one post than Chris Roberts has in six years.

Eve has been chewing up and spitting out the RMT kids for years. It’s actually better now plex exists, because the first bit; creating a mark, is legal now. A couple of alliances had whales at the center, but they’d usually be riddled with agents and arc out the instant that the fun stopped. The funnier ones would try to create metagames out of nothing. Sure, you can spend a billion on a ratting carrier, but a marginal gang of battleships could gently caress it up.

Teamwork is OP in most MMOs that allow for assymetry. Experience counts for a lot. _knowing_ what you can do is important.

Paramemetic posted:

To be fair, you could have somebody’s eye out with horseplay.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/94l5m7/star_citizens_chris_roberts_downplays_currency/e3n6fj6/
someone one reddit transcripted

Question: "What is your current vision for the perfect dogfight experience?"

quote:

Yeah, yeah, I mean, that's, that's obviously a one-word answer, there. :laughs:

Uh..., so, what we have right now isn't, uh, what I'm happy with, uh, so we are, actually, uh, bit of a spoiler alert, working on, uh, some stuff, skunkworks things I'm doing to, uh, address some of the issues, uh, that I have currently with what we're doing. It - This is always a difficult one because everyone has slightly different, uh, opinions or visions of it. Uh, A lot of stuff has been informed by things like Star Wars, which is basically taking World War II aerodynamic, uh, maneuvers and having them happen in space. Uh, a-and I've alwa-, y'know, when we started- started star citizen, Now, I kind of, sort of pitched this idea of having it physically... better, like we have newtonian mechanics and everything sort of operates inside that, and it does in the current system too. I know a lot of people feel like it doesn't, but that's mostly because in a lot of ships in the current system, the amount of, uhm, force that can be exerted by any of the thrusters is huge. So, y'know, when any one of your maneuvering thrusters can exert 6 g's of thrust, then, it means, y'know, basically, hanging around in an atmosphere doesn't really matter, your gravity doesn't, you don't, y'know, you can go left, right, up, down, whatever. Uhm, so, I actually feel like we..., uh, uhm, over...powered the maneuvering, and you always do a differ-, you do a balance between this, because if you have, ah, more realistic forces from, say, your maneuvering thrusters, ah, it means that, it all- y'know... you will move a turn slower. So, I mean, there's a tv show - I think there's quite a lot of people have watched, called The Expanse, that actually does a good job of being real science about it, uh, and I wouldn't say that I want to go all that way about it, because, y'know, at a certain sort of speed, you'd, you'd take forever to turn around, and all the rest of the stuff. But if you watch The Expanse, it does a good job of sort of showing the realities of it, and would - and also gives you a good idea why, for instance, you'd want to keep your velocity low when doing, like, radical maneuvering in a, in a dogfight, because, yknow, if you want to... change your heading by 180 degrees, and you're going, y'know, too fast, the amount of g's that would take on the human body is, is, y'know, is life-threatening, basically. Uhm. So, what I really want is I wanna have the dogfighting work within the parameters of proper physics; I want to bring back, uh, the, uh, the, uh, the balance on the ships in terms of not overpowering the thrusters, 'cause... there's all these different, y'know, people want their six degrees of freedom, and they want to be able to strafe up and down, and do this, and they wanna be... so everyone- all - what I feel has happened in the past is everyone's had all these competing things they want to see, they wanna see their WWII style dogfighting, and all the rest - and so there's, there's been too much of it sort of coming in and, to, to fix one thing for this one particular sort of point of view has sort of stomped on some other stuff, and I feel like everything's become a sort of a mishmash, and everything's become a bit too overpowered, and so what I want to move towards is, uh, more distinct personalities on the ships, and I don't want ships to be so powerful they can adjust their course as quickly as they currently do, uh, but we don't wanna go too far in the other direction cause otherwise people will be, like, "uh, I turn, and I'm still going this way and I slide forever," and that's super-frustrating, too, so it's a balance. And I also want to make sure that the, uh, the- the, uh, sort of, allocation of your power - uhm, y'know, whether you're sort-of overpowering your thrusters has an affect on it's sort-of heat output, and also whether that thruster may misfire or not, or, uh, if you get your thrusters damaged, could also affect your ability to maneuver, and all that's not particularly done or simulated very well, so we've been working, uh, for a while on the sort of new version of IFCS that works inside the new item system, which is all fully sort of multi-threaded, batched and everything. Uh, it's not ready to deploy yet, it's sort of what I'm hinting at that we'll be showing... perhaps we'll show a preview at CitizenCon, but, uh, we'll see, uh, but it's on our schedule for the end of the year, uhm, and, uh, it has a sort of full-over holistic design, as far as this goes, to deliver something that's closer to what I like, which is basically, I want trade-offs, I want pro and cons to doing certain things, so, uh, you could potentially overpower your thruster to be able to exert a bit more force to be able to turn a bit quicker, but if you're doing that, you're uhm, y'know, potentially overheating it, which could potentially cause it to, uh, well, definitely wear more, and could potentially cause it to misfire, so, there's a balance, uhm. There's a model, that, uh, that, uhm, you know, it's sort of, ah, there's, ah, there's a couple of sort of modern, uh, current? sort of plasma thruster designs, uh, so that's kind of what we're doing, where the idea would be, that, :phone rings: ah! you know, my phone! Uff! How did that happen. Sorry. I thought I put it on silent, sorry guys! Uhm, anyway, so the idea is that, uhm, you basically would, uh, you know, you need power, and you need a sort of, uh... matter, which would be...uhm, y'know, whatever, hydrogen, or, argon, or whatever, that you would then turn into plasma and then you would eject by magnetizing it as fast as possible out, so therefore, your sort of power..., y'know, input, or power that you can pull to your thrusters helps the amount you can thrust, and then also whatever you're storing as your raw matter that you ionize and eject. Ah, so we're, we're sort of running on all that stuff, ah, so it'll be much, ah, I think... it will, it will, it will... hopefully have a lot of nuance, and a lot of trade-off and balance, ah, and, but of course, on the basic level, we'll want to make the simple ifcs handling within certain parameters easy for someone that's just getting in and playing the game, but if you're a, y'know, you're an expert, you're pushing it, you're learning how to fly, I think oyu'll be sort of fine tuning your uhm your power output and thrusters, and balancing them by running them as you go along, in a, uh, in a manner that could, y'know, potentially give you that little bit of an edge in a dogfight. So, that's kind of, uh, that's what we're going for. Talkeda bout a lot of this in the past, I sort of feel like the current system, aah, y'know, never really delivered that, because it sort of, uh, was trying to do too many things, and it was also very designer-driven in terms of, uh, y'know, the designer would, "Ok, I want it to go...roll or rotate or strage at this rate," and then the algorithm figured out "oh, well then you need this much thrust." And then you'd look at it, and you'd go, "there's no way that this ship should really exert this amount of thrust through one of these maneuvering thrusters, it, that's ridiculous, you couldn't do that on something this size." And so my big, uhhhh, sort of direction is being, look, we need to make sure that we're realistic on our masses, we're realistic on the amount of power or, or.. thrust, impulses, we can deliver on our ship to move around, ah, y'know, within a balnace so it's not, like, fully like the expanse, cause that's, <?? unintelligble?>> not be quite fun, but, but walking the line between kind of where it has been which I feel is too overpowered, and something that's more realistic, but underneath it's all underpinned fully by physics, and the physics system itself is going through a major refactor, uhm, which is still a few releases away, but, again we're refactoring a bunch of stuff under the hood on the physics, for better performance, better scalability on the server, and out on the client, aah, and uh, and uh, we're looking at a different rigid-body uh, simulation, uh, that's going to be more reliable, uh, than the, uh, the old one. So, I think all these things added together, ultimately, will provide a, uh, a much better experience.

So there you are, tht's my one-word answer.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

Wonder bread from the Amazonian home island, too

Yes, the output of the bakery is usually the least offensive, but down at the other end of the supermarket is the aisle of bread that has a shelf life measured in weeks, and baked goods that will last for months.

It is literally an affront to gluten and gluten related products.

We will not rest until theAgent is refusing gravy on his biscuits.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

And yet people screamed ED was pay to win with Horizons and even... wait for it.... that some backers got to start with a Cobra Mk3 instead of a Sidewinder! *shock*

Ok, there is a point with Horizons to some extent, engineering does add power and it is especially important in PvP. My hope here is that FD wrap Horizons into the base game with 4.0 and it will put that issue to rest.

But i wonder how many SC fans screamed ED was pay to win with Horizons... i'm sure i've seen a post or two like that on the Steam forums on those occasions where a SC acolyte started a thread to promote SC.

Elite Dangerous IS Pay2Win: Red ship skins can be bought, and everyone knows da red wuns go fasta. Czechmate

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Here's a reddit thread filled with all sorts of "stuff" but leans on the "SC is great" in face of P2W. Some quality gems in there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/94qlio/a_day_in_the_life_of_p2w_scum/

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Paramemetic posted:

Goons are the only people who want to do this.

loving goons. With their unimmersive third person point of view and their loving table jumping and running in shops and running in airlocks and trying to fly a ship in the wrong spacesuit and sitting on a landing pad instead of taking off and shooting their loving weapons in safe spaces. STOP THAT. STOP THAT AT ONCE AND LET PEOPLE WIN BY HAVING FUN.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Now this is amazing

reddit posted:

Hi everyone,

I am one of the loathed P2W citizens who has numerous ships and just recently gained a bunch of starting UEC due to melting items that are no longer featured in the game.

Yesterday I worked for 14 hours, I played Star Citizen for 1 hour. In that time I recovered a black box from a crashed ship, I loaned out a Rover to a new player, I picked up and deployed a beacon, got into my ships bed and logged off.

Two days ago I worked for 14 hours, I played Star Citizen for 1.5 hours. In that time I was flying around in an Avenger Titan, completed an investigation and then asked if anyone had a 600i I could have a look at. A scumbag PayToWin player politely obliged and turned up in his 600i, we proceeded to spend the next hour flying around planets at low altitude enjoying the view and then seeing if we could fit my rover inside the ship.

Last week I jumped in my Starfarer Gemini, I had been to Levski to pick up the Rover and wanted to test how well it stayed in place in the hold. A player piloted Gladius popped in and started shooting at me, I set a jump point but got destroyed before I could go anywhere. What confused me most is that I had clearly PayedToWin, I mean A $340 ship vs a $90 ship, I am surprised that the Gladius didn't just explode after it saw the price of my ship. It must have been a bug.

Now I have been led to believe that I am a massive scumbag who will actively go out of my way to ruin the game for others due to this UEC and owning multiple ships. I've backed a fair amount because I want this project to succeed, I've also gifted a good few ships to friends because I want them to enjoy it too. (UGHHH GiftToWin Scumbags Amirite?).

Backer info

2,066,323 people have joined Star Citizen. (Not necessarily backed)

$191,448,234 in funding

If each of these backers had only purchased a basic MUSTANG ALPHA/AURORA STARTER PACK ($45)

$92,984,535 in funding

$98,463,699 less

If each of these backers had purchased the combo pack after the price hike and at current price point ($65)$134,310,995

$57,137,239 less in funding

So people paying to win has accounted for between 1/2 and 1/3 of the games total funding.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr Fronts posted:

Goons are the only people who want to do this.

loving goons. With their unimmersive third person point of view and their loving table jumping and running in shops and running in airlocks and trying to fly a ship in the wrong spacesuit and sitting on a landing pad instead of taking off and shooting their loving weapons in safe spaces. STOP THAT. STOP THAT AT ONCE AND LET PEOPLE WIN BY HAVING FUN.

I just wanna dance.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quavers posted:

Elite Dangerous IS Pay2Win: Red ship skins can be bought, and everyone knows da red wuns go fasta. Czechmate

Ah, but the midnight black skins were freebies, and black skins make you invisible. Checkmate goonie!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

"what is 'win'! what is 'win'!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a bag of money

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

I was persecuted by I guess mildly suggesting these people are not normal, talking about Star Citizen is tricky stuff

I can only imagine how many reports the mods get.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Agony Aunt posted:

Oh god, SidAlpha who usually is quite balanced gives a great one liner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfSNO2vUPz4

"Basically CIG are full of poo poo"

I think this is a rather good example of how the cultists turn otherwise impartial people anti-CIG.

If the cultists had just accepted his earlier video and hadn't given the death threats and rage, my guess is he would have moved on from SC and focused on other things. Now SidAlpha is going all in on the commentry of SC's development.

No idea why youtube gave me this but SidAlpha v2016 telling Beer to "POST THE EMAIL HEADERS U FAKER!" made me lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA6_eKahQo0&t=1769s

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Zaphod42 posted:

Now this is amazing

Oh keep reading that thread.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Oh keep reading that thread.

(Adding this write up so I can easily find it because it’s great!)

/StarCitizen - A Day in the Life of P2W Scum

Gilded.

The most interesting parts in reply are the discussions about the skepticism and hostility now obvious in the /Games subreddit — which used to eat CIG’s hype garbage up and beg for seconds.

quote:

Your mistake is believing that r/games is where average people voice their opinions. Nope, it's a congregation of hypocritical homebound toxic neckbearded windbag incels who will bitch and moan but at the end of the day go out and buy their hated game anyway.

:lol:

/Games is concerned enough about civility that even some of my own interactions have been deleted by mods for being slightly too snarky to a Defense Force guy, and I’m about as polite as SC critics get.

Contempt for garbage monetization practices isn’t toxicity, Lurkers, it’s mainstream gamer common sense in 2018. Chris chose the low road, everybody sees it, and the only way forward is lower still. It feels like progress to you but to the average gamer who values their time and money more than you, Star Citizen looks like a P2W con job in Development hell being led by a scam artist, and those who defend what can’t be defended look like cultists.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/94l5m7/star_citizens_chris_roberts_downplays_currency/e3mzt8g

Nyast fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 5, 2018

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Virtual Captain posted:

No idea why youtube gave me this but SidAlpha v2016 telling Beer to "POST THE EMAIL HEADERS U FAKER!" made me lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA6_eKahQo0&t=1769s

I CAN READ THE HEADERS

ITS PART OF MY JOB TO DECIPHER THAT poo poo

ITS NOT EVEN THAT HARD TO DO

okay like you can google header information and find it out

(what the christ)