Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Hixson posted:

You can buy spare parts for the SOTAR at USA Airbrush Supply. Ive hosed mine up with my idiot hands several times and have had to replace stuff.

If you send it in for a service they’ll deep clean, fix and replace any worn out parts for pretty much the cost of parts and shipping, it’s great. I mail mine in once a year or so and I don’t think I’ve been billed more than $20 whenever I’ve done it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Cool I've dropped them an email just waiting on a reply.

Depends on how much it'll cost with shipping to and from the UK, it may not be too much more to just get a new brush

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

gilljoy posted:

Cool I've dropped them an email just waiting on a reply.

Depends on how much it'll cost with shipping to and from the UK, it may not be too much more to just get a new brush

Barwells Bodyworks are the UK distributors and they do most things.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
XXXposting :siren:

I'm so happy with how this guy is turning out. Can't wait to "finish" him tomorrow night and start adding some friends.

E: I also think this is the most metal thing I've ever painted.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

JBP posted:

I'm so happy with how this guy is turning out. Can't wait to "finish" him tomorrow night and start adding some friends.

That is a very masterchief visor, it's sick.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Harvey Mantaco posted:

That is a very masterchief visor, it's sick.

That's his skin, not a gold visor :ssh:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Painted 10 more Dryads today to bump them up to 20 (got 10 more to do), and the first 5 of the the Eternal Guard unit (bottom right).

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

God drat dude i fuckin love them

you don't do commissions do you?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So I want to do blue roses for the base for the Sister Superior and I want the layer paint to be Baharroth Blue just to make them pop like crazy. What would be a good process for that? Would a white base, green wash, Baharroth and then a white edge highlight work or am I completely off my rocker?

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Crosspostin

Mr Teatime posted:

I finished painting a thing, real happy with how it came out. I think i've finally nailed down how I want to paint the rest of my death guard. Feedback always welcome!

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Mr Teatime posted:

Crosspostin

Love the corroded copper effect. I might just be a sucker for that though.

That’s a fine-looking drone.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Crosspostin' because remember this guy?

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Well, it's coming along.

Lil' Nuggles First Day at War was a fun idea I had while browsing on Hoard O' Bits (thanks for the recommendation!) and it was so silly I couldn't not do it. So as he stands he's a combination of Ork shootas, plague marines, chaos marines, blight kings and whatever kit the silly Nurglings come from. Right now he feels a little bland up top but I suppose I could sculpt some cables or something coming out the back of his head. I also clipped off the weird extra spike on the end of the bolter and replaced it with a bell.

The bolter itself is what happens when you get the fun idea to use the split fly head halves from the Blightking set and have to figure out a way to make it look good. I like to think it came out looking nice and John Blanche-y.

Also I am very down for Death Guard model schemes with bright accents and that radioactive green verdigris on that drone look noice, Mr. Teatime. How did you achieve those colors for the brass, plating and the greens? That's pretty close to what I wanted to do when I started painting again (oh godddd).

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 16, 2019

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Cross-post:

Just finished my Lord Commissar with Power Fist. This guy was a lot of fun to paint; these old metal models have a lot of character.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
10/10 would get never surrendered again

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

JBP posted:

This is gorgeous. I absolutely love how you’ve done that shade of purple. The transitions are so subtle and effective! Can’t wait to see the finished product!

I’m so close to being done with this first squad of Salamanders but I can’t find my cork to do the lava bases I wanna do :v:

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Endman posted:

Cross-post:

Just finished my Lord Commissar with Power Fist. This guy was a lot of fun to paint; these old metal models have a lot of character.

It must be a bitch to turn the page.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Beffer posted:

It must be a bitch to turn the page.

It probably has a self-turn thing like the Orange Catholic Bible Yueh gave Paul before they left for Arrakis?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Schadenboner posted:

It probably has a self-turn thing like the Orange Catholic Bible Yueh gave Paul before they left for Arrakis?

He has hundreds of servitors and cherubs with books pre turned to each page.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Cross-postin' Rhino Primaris:

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Crosspostin' because remember this guy?

Also I am very down for Death Guard model schemes with bright accents and that radioactive green verdigris on that drone look noice, Mr. Teatime. How did you achieve those colors for the brass, plating and the greens? That's pretty close to what I wanted to do when I started painting again (oh godddd).

Armour is vallejo aged white washed with ak light rust which is cleaned off again.
Brass is scale 75 decayed metal, agrax wash and then a light drybrush of scale 75 victorian brass.
The verdigriss is abteiling 502 turquoise lights oil paint.

further crossposting

Mr Teatime posted:

At the risk of spamming the thread with my crap, I just wrapped up some more death guard in the same scheme as the drone. Definately sold on the scheme for the rest of the army.

Biologus Putrifier

Foul Blightspawn

Work in progress contemptor

Mr Teatime fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 16, 2019

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Mr Teatime posted:

further crossposting

Super cool Death Guard, man. The chipping on the contemptor looks great!

I finally took an army shot of my Word Bearers/Daemons:

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
So I finally decided to paint something, so I grabbed a few contrast paints and the wraithbone primer spray and did this for my first effort in painting:

It’s an old pewter Ravener that I got for dirt cheap, so I figure I’d use it as a test. I kinda like the scheme, but my lovely brush control made it turn out bad overall. How do I paint the tiny details like the eyes and the under flesh, because goddamn that’s where things went horribly wrong. Also the poor lighting isn’t doing it any favors.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I really need to pick up the DG half of that Dark Imperium set off of ebay before it gets expensive.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
For small details brace your arm against something and go at it with something thin and form, if you press a soft brush tip to hard it'll spread out in a mess.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Got some Warmahordes models done.

Journeyman Warcaster:

Stormcaller:

Family shot with the 2 Stormcallers I just did flanking the one I did a year ago. I feel like it's progress:

Nemo:

Please forgive my garbage photography.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Finished a guy

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Looks aces

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Hixson posted:

Super cool Death Guard, man. The chipping on the contemptor looks great!

I finally took an army shot of my Word Bearers/Daemons:

Thanks! The contemptor was what prompted my questions about chipping medium, good thing its death guard otherwise that crazing on the white might have driven me mad. I guess I'll have to experiment with different brands, that was done with Vallejo and I have some AK stuff I've yet to try 🤔

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I'm looking to strip the paint off a mini without hurting the superglue or polystyrene bits attached to it. (It's for Gaslands, which owns if you have not seen it.) I saw the suggestions of Simple Green, but looking at their website they have many different products. I assume they mean the generic All Purpose Cleaner?

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I really need to pick up the DG half of that Dark Imperium set off of ebay before it gets expensive.

DM me. I don’t want or need my DG half.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

I'm looking to strip the paint off a mini without hurting the superglue or polystyrene bits attached to it. (It's for Gaslands, which owns if you have not seen it.) I saw the suggestions of Simple Green, but looking at their website they have many different products. I assume they mean the generic All Purpose Cleaner?

Simple Green Pro HD is aluminum safe which might matter with items for more kit-boxy games like Gaslands. Although dunking superglue into any water solution for a long period can weaken its integrity.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

So I tried to try to get non-lovely photos of these guys. Taken outside on a cloudy day, with a camera where I can actually manually mess with the F-stops, shutter speed, and ISO somewhat.

Miniature photography is hard.

I know many of ya'll have lightboxes, but I see some photos here that are awesome with no lightboxes at all. Is there a secret I'm missing or do I just need to try harder?

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Which rosemary and co brushes is it people recommend again?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

gilljoy posted:

Which rosemary and co brushes is it people recommend again?

Series 33. There is the "Workbench Warriors" brush set though:
https://www.rosemaryandco.com/gift-sets/workbench-warrior-set

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I got some grots done, right now I am on track to finish my back log just in time for new marines. :v:

gilljoy
May 3, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

Series 33. There is the "Workbench Warriors" brush set though:
https://www.rosemaryandco.com/gift-sets/workbench-warrior-set

That seems like a very good price. I need to replace some brushes so thats a good shout thank you

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

TotalHell posted:

I know many of ya'll have lightboxes, but I see some photos here that are awesome with no lightboxes at all. Is there a secret I'm missing or do I just need to try harder?

It's really easy to make a lovely lightbox with a spare cardboard box, some printer paper and the same lights you use(or should be using) for painting.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

TotalHell posted:

A lightbox is just a very simple way to diffuse the light coming at your figure. You can get the same effect by diffusing the lights themselves, with diffusing covers, or even just diffusing the flash on the camera. Back in my early camera days, I diffused the light from the pop-up camera flash with a styrofoam cup placed over the flash. I diffuse the lights on my current setup with the cheap white cloth from the fabric store, and mount it over the lights with needlepoint hoops from the same place. Hell, you could diffuse lights with a piece of white paper held up in front of the light.

Wanna go even cheaper than that? Wait until you get an overcast day, take your pics outside with instant cloud-diffused sunlight.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Magnetic North posted:

Is it the original paint of the car or acrylic paint you have added that you are trying to strip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

X-postin from the 40k thread.

Cooked Auto posted:

Finished the Sister Superior model this week. (Also forgot to take a lightbox picture of the backside. :doh:)
The amount of fine detail kinda tripped me over because I'm really bad a extreme edge highlighting so all the lines ended up a bit too thick to my taste even with careful cleaning attempts afterwards.
If I were to do a another Sisters model I might just try to drybrush the armor to pick out all the details.

Also the face is a bit of a hack job even if the results look pretty good at a distance.
I do need to get a better pot of white though.