Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Death is certain, but Pete is eternal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

teen witch posted:

24 Hour Poly People

E: even as someone who has been in poly relationships, 99% of poly people you don’t want to be with.

To be honest by far the worst thing I can think of about being poly is that it just sounds exhausting.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Serephina posted:

I agree that there's a lot of Pete-ness going on here, regarding self-respect, boundaries, communication, etc. But the really amazing thing about Pete was the line with Ultimatums; Pete did not issue an ultimatum like the new guy did; infact, he had that amazing line about "this is not an ultimatum, I'm leaving you". That is what takes Pete from a great guy into a Legend.

Amen.

Honestly, new guy may be becoming a Pete, last I saw in the comments, he was realizing he should probably just dump her regardless of her choice

theme park cryptid
Dec 12, 2019

Who What Now posted:

To be honest by far the worst thing I can think of about being poly is that it just sounds exhausting.

Yeah, I hear that a lot from the poly triads I know. My sister (16 at the time) was dating a boy in a LDR and then when he finally visited us they both ended up getting together with one of my sister's friends. When the LDR had to leave it was really hard for all of them and my sister ended up breaking up with LDR boyfriend. She's sworn off poly relationships ever again and says that:
a) teenagers that are already bad at communicating should not be in relationships where communicating is even more important than a couple relationship
b) LDR makes everything even harder
c) wait until you are in your mid-twenties minimum and are prepared to do a ton of relationship therapy with everyone involved

I know a few trio's in which everyone is getting along swimmingly but they all went to a ridiculous amount of relationship and communication workshops, and just invested a lot of time into making theirs rock solid.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Lucrece posted:

AITA for threatening to sue my sister because her kids broke my iPad?

a 10.5 iPad pro screen replacement is only $450 and could probably be done within a couple of days, unless these kids were really little psychos and completely destroyed it

the sister is still lovely though "yeah, i gave my animal kids your expensive stuff to play with, so what?"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

This is the lamest thing anyone has ever posted.

A D is still a pass nerdlinger.

SEE ME AFTER CLASS

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
I [26F, Mixed-Race] just realised my boyfriend [30M] is a white supremacist.

quote:

I have been dating Cory (not his real name) for a year and a half, and I recently found out I'm pregnant. I'm mixed race (half black half white) and he's white. He's a friend of a friend, and when I first met him I thought he was both hot and really nice. I was warned by one of them that he was a racist but on speaking to him I didn't detect anything like that.

When we started getting close we were cuddling and he was going through social media, I noticed that he followed accounts of certain well known people. Not naming names but the type of people who speak on race, nationalism, immigration etc. I was concerned and asked him what his own views are. He admitted that he does believe that races are different from each other, but defended it by saying that he thinks ''race mixing'' (his exact words) is a good thing. Until recently he hasn't said anything explicitly racist, though he often jokes about how if he heard me on the phone he'd think I was white (I grew up in a 90% white area so ''sound white'' according to most people). His parents are openly racist but are very welcoming and friendly towards me.

I love Cory and think he is a good man. He cooks for me all the time, surprises me with the most perfect dates and always treats me like a princess. When I found out I was pregnant, we were delighted but Cory's views are troubling. He says if we have a son, he wants to teach him to ''be a man'' because he thinks it's ''disgraceful'' the way that boys aren't being taught to ''deal with their own problems''. Worse, if we have a girl, he's said he doesn't want to encourage her to have career ambitions, and that he wants to teach her to be ''feminine'' and stress the importance of family and tradition. His opinions on things like homosexuality also make me deeply uncomfortable. Cory and I both work high paying jobs. Either of us could provide singlehanded, but Cory has continually encouraged me to give up work permanently once our baby is born and let him be ''breadwinner''. I worked hard for my career and don't want to give it all up.

I've known all of this for a while but only after I found out I was pregnant did it all start to hit me. On his last day of work before Christmas, Cory came home very drunk after having had a row with his boss (who is black). He used a word that I won't repeat on here, did an impression of his boss's accent and said that ''they (black people) all act the same''. When I reminded him that I am black, he said that ''half blacks'' are the same as whites because the ''white blood'' makes them ''act normal''. He then placed his hand on my stomach and said ''Can't wait til our little white baby is born''. I'd never been more terrified in my entire life, not because I thought he would hurt me, but because I realised that I'm in love with and about to have a baby with a racist. My child will almost certainly look white, and I'm scared of the idea that he'll erase the other part of their heritage and teach them as hateful as he is.

He passed out drunk, and I packed a bag, left a note and went to my parents. I broke down and told them everything. They were shocked, particularly my (black) dad. They said they'd put me up here as long as I needed somewhere to stay.

Cory has been calling me several times a day, saying he's sorry and that he just wants me back etc. My head is a complete mess. I still love Cory and a part of me just wants to run back to him. But I don't want my child growing up racist. If I don't go back to him I will have to leave my job, friends and home abruptly and settle back at my parents. It won't be hard to find a new job but even so it will be a huge change for my life.

What do I do?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ad090 posted:

Yikes

I don't even understand how this can happen. When this dude is straight-up telling you to your face that he has no respect for your race or your gender what can possibly compel you to stay?

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
Hardcore white supremacist who encourages race mixing to whiten the minorities up. That's... something. Glad she finally ran from this idiot, too bad he got her knocked up first.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Yikes

I don't even understand how this can happen. When this dude is straight-up telling you to your face that he has no respect for your race or your gender what can possibly compel you to stay?

Without armchair diagnosing some random person in the world with "the daddy issues," lots of people (men and women alike) instinctively crave and follow the meanest guy on the block. They like the idea of "knowing their place" and gambling that he'll never truly turn his aggression on them, and that when push comes to shove he'll be there to protect them.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I hope she puts his poo poo on blast to the world, a dude this stupid has earned it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I like the part about the parents being huge racists but nice to her.

So many red flags it was practically a rally in Berlin, 1943.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Food trucks are still not great financially. I was trying to start one in a college town and I was looking at 50k upfront.

Plus every cook I talked to wanted to do their own spin on some kind of higher end thing and didnt want to go with my plan of “selling grease to drunk college kids”

You can't learn to cook drunk people yourself? Also actual line cooks don't care what they're cooking for the most part so long as the check clears.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Guildenstern Mother posted:

You can't learn to cook drunk people yourself? Also actual line cooks don't care what they're cooking for the most part so long as the check clears.

Pretty sure that is still illegal in most states.

But on the other hand you could name your food truck the Pickled Liver so it might be worth a shot.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

MagusofStars posted:

The most notable part about this article is that the guy had all sorts of advantages - a nice stash of money, a supportive family, had a wildly generous landlord, friends/family willing to loan him money, the ability to mortgage his house for an influx of cash, staff that were cool with not being paid...and despite all that, it was still a loving disaster for every second he owned it except the brief time period immediately following the four-star review.

In Toronto they can go to an amazing cooking school at George Brown, that even has evening courses for the public - not your "learn how to make a salad in 2 hours" type.

https://coned.georgebrown.ca/courses-and-certificates/subject/culinary-arts/

The *first* course is 48 hours over 12 weeks.

quote:

Our Culinary Arts 1 course is designed to help you develop the essential culinary techniques and principles you need to be confident in the modern kitchen. Go beyond cooking from recipes as you learn indispensable knife skills, foundational sauces and cooking methods (searing, poaching, roasting and much more). Work through a range of classic dishes then move on to more advanced recipes, all under the guidance of a professional chef. Learn to use a variety of ingredients, including vegetables, eggs, beans, chicken, pork, fish and beef as you master the fundamental building blocks of key culinary techniques.

NOTE(S)

COURSE ESSENTIALS:

You will be required to have a full George Brown chef uniform, black safety shoes (non-slip and steel toe) and tools for this course. The teacher will provide details during the first class and will provide you with a bookstore voucher for a uniform package. You will need to purchase your shoes and tools separately.

I miss that place. :(

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

wheatpuppy posted:

Pretty sure that is still illegal in most states.

But on the other hand you could name your food truck the Pickled Liver so it might be worth a shot.

:cawg:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for rejecting the doll I got for Christmas?

This is a divided topic in my family. My husband and I lost our first child towards the beginning of this year. It's been very hard but it's starting to get a bit better. We went to see my husband's family for Christmas. They presented us with a gift. They got us a reborn doll that looks like our late son. A REBORN DOLL.

I'm not sure if they thought it would be a good idea or comforting, but it's among the worst things I've ever seen. I do NOT want this doll. I don't care how much they paid, it's creepy and I'm not touching it. I freaked out because it was shocking. My cultural beliefs don't really allow touching dead things and that thing looked it. We rejected it and left the doll with them. Now they're saying that we were rude and that people shouldn't reject gifts. They're spouting articles about these dolls making parents feel better.

Even if this isn't nightmare fuel and the worst thing I've seen in a while, what am I supposed to do? Treat it like a baby and put in in the nursery? I'm not doing that.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for rejecting the doll I got for Christmas?

Get dolls made to look like them, leave them in various places in their house, then kill them one by one.

Edit: obtain some carfentanil and hide it inside the bodies so it can seep out when the joints move.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Rip the head off the corpse doll and throw it at them, imo

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

ad090 posted:

he and his parents will be nice to her until they aren't. the chances he falls in with extremists that push him to be more racist and suddenly forget the "white blood and race mixing" poo poo are pretty high. i really feel sorry for her because falling in with a racist like this isn't "unfortunate" it is straight up stupid, naive, and dangerous.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Looked up reborn dolls... holy moley. Creepy as gently caress.

I did find one set up to look like a fairy though. That seems legit. "Your child is in a better place now....a wonderful land called Azeroth!"

(ps they run $80 for cheap poo poo and at least $200 for 'good')

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The_Franz posted:

a 10.5 iPad pro screen replacement is only $450 and could probably be done within a couple of days, unless these kids were really little psychos and completely destroyed it

the sister is still lovely though "yeah, i gave my animal kids your expensive stuff to play with, so what?"

His was the larger Pro, so a little more for the screen replacement - if that's all it needed. Which doesn't mater because this is bullshit, no way he didn't have a passcode on the thing. Maybe the sister knew or guessed it, but he'd have mentioned it either way.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mllaneza posted:

His was the larger Pro, so a little more for the screen replacement - if that's all it needed. Which doesn't mater because this is bullshit, no way he didn't have a passcode on the thing. Maybe the sister knew or guessed it, but he'd have mentioned it either way.

It come up in the comments saying they live alone and didn't think to have one.

Though I have half a mind that chances are it wouldn't stop the kids from breaking it anyway.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Don't people have liability insurance? If i were to break someone's $2000 toy my liablity insurance would cover that.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

NihilismNow posted:

Don't people have liability insurance? If i were to break someone's $2000 toy my liablity insurance would cover that.

...no?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Re: broken iPad: Sis needs to own up and replace/repair her brother's property. I can't believe this is even remotely in question.

My brothers and I accidentally broke a neighbor's windshield playing with rocks, Dad paid for it out of pocket the day of, and we were on water, rice, and beans/frozen veg for the next few weekends with him because he couldn't afford to put meat and milk on the table. It was an important lesson.

I bought my brother a used car but had him sign a promissory note, slapped on a new clutch, headgasket, and timing set, and he wrecked it literally TWO DAYS after I handed over the keys for driving drunk. I'd gotten $100 out of him and after 6 months of negative responses I took it to small claims and won. Of course he didn't learn poo poo because my mother bailed him out on the bill. I was loving livid (but she got some real nice gifts for the next couple of occasions). Unsurprisingly he's become an even shittier individual, having been continually bailed out by various streaks of luck and pity, but lately it's been catching up to him and he's about to serve 6 months on VoP from his DUI and Domestic Assault injunctions.

Lack of personal responsibility is one of the major problems that is rotting modern society. People need to own their mistakes, learn from them, and become a better person for it.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 29, 2019

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

NihilismNow posted:

Lol, are you serious?

Depending on whose numbers you read, somewhere between 15-20% of drivers don’t have car insurance despite it being legally required to drive in many states. And of the people that do have car insurance, around a quarter have the bare minimum state-required coverage which doesn’t even cover repair of your own vehicle in case of an accident. In another arena, renter’s insurance can often be quite cheap and many people can’t be arsed to buy it; a sizable number don’t even realize (until too late) that their owner’s insurance doesn’t cover replacement of the tenant’s belongings. In yet another arena, every time there’s a major hurricane or flood, it becomes a national story that many people didn’t purchase the rider to cover flood damage and are now hosed.

The idea that everybody has a stand-alone liability coverage policy that would cover damage like that is patently absurd.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

MagusofStars posted:

Lol, are you serious?

Depending on whose numbers you read, somewhere between 15-20% of drivers don’t have car insurance despite it being legally required to drive in many states. And of the people that do have car insurance, around a quarter have the bare minimum state-required coverage which doesn’t even cover repair of your own vehicle in case of an accident. In another arena, renter’s insurance can often be quite cheap and many people can’t be arsed to buy it; a sizable number don’t even realize (until too late) that their owner’s insurance doesn’t cover replacement of the tenant’s belongings. In yet another arena, every time there’s a major hurricane or flood, it becomes a national story that many people didn’t purchase the rider to cover flood damage and are now hosed.

The idea that everybody has a stand-alone liability coverage policy that would cover damage like that is patently absurd.

I think my home owner's insurance actually covers a lot of minor liability things but I'm not entirely certain. I'd have to haul it out and check.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Beach Bum posted:

I think my home owner's insurance actually covers a lot of minor liability things but I'm not entirely certain. I'd have to haul it out and check.
Depending on your policy, it actually might, the liability clause on home insurance is often surprisingly open-ended...but (1) it’s very policy specific what’s covered and (2) even if it does, it may not be worth it for a $2k iPad after considering the deductible and impact on future rates.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

MagusofStars posted:

Not to reference the thread title but it's pretty common here. It's typically like $2-4 a month so not many people don't have it. Appearently this is not a thing everywhere. Highly recommend getting the $3 insurance policy so minor incidents don't change into family destroying feuds.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah in Europe it’s very normal to just pay €6 or so a month so you’re insured against like 1M worth of damages to people/property.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Looks like those remedial literacy courses aren't going so well, but keep trying, Squashing Machine

The guillotine poo poo is obnoxious at best and being thrown out for increasingly inconsequential and petty things. Nobody cares how much you want to kill people

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The millions of insurance is for things like floods. The personal property part of the insurance tends to be much more constrained and lovely, like up to $1000 and you pay $500, and have a rate increase.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

NihilismNow posted:

Not to reference the thread title but it's pretty common here. It's typically like $2-4 a month so not many people don't have it. Appearently this is not a thing everywhere. Highly recommend getting the $3 insurance policy so minor incidents don't change into family destroying feuds.

please knock Mom! posted:

Yeah in Europe it’s very normal to just pay €6 or so a month so you're insured against like 1M worth of damages to people/property.
Ah, very interesting and I apologize for the earlier snark; didn't realize that (as usual) the US was the strange weirdness here.

From a US perspective and standalone liability policies not linked with a specific highly valuable item (e.g., house, automobile, watercraft) are fairly rare. Such policies do exist and upper-middle/upper-class Americans often do buy them, but given how many Americans either can't afford or don't bother to buy other basic forms of insurance, it's a definite minority.

In the story if it's real, there's no way an American mother of three who barely/doesn't have the savings to handle buying an iPad is shelling out for liability insurance.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

house of the dad posted:

The guillotine poo poo is obnoxious at best and being thrown out for increasingly inconsequential and petty things. Nobody cares how much you want to kill people

Shut up landlord

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
AITA for not letting my girlfriend use my stuff after she broke my guitar and computer out of anger?
My girlfriend and I have been dating for 3 years now. A year and a half in or so, she was using my laptop to check email, and it wouldn’t load or something, and she had gotten fired that day so she punched the screen. It broke.

I can forgive that, I’ve done some dumbass things out of anger before.

Now today, she was over at my house. I have a guitar, I don’t play it but it was my grand dads so I keep it around. She plays the guitar so was just fiddling with it, she does that sometimes, strumming a few chords. A string snapped (I think, I heard a loud twangy noise), and she slammed it on the ground. That broke too. That was a step too far for me.

I told her she can’t use any of my stuff anymore, no borrowing the computer, no using my pens, nothing. She said that I was emotionally isolating her. I thought that was sort of silly but she broke down crying and now I feel bad.

She won’t talk to me now. Did I go over board here?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Power Khan posted:

AITA for not letting my girlfriend use my stuff after she broke my guitar and computer out of anger?
My girlfriend and I have been dating for 3 years now. A year and a half in or so, she was using my laptop to check email, and it wouldn’t load or something, and she had gotten fired that day so she punched the screen. It broke.

I can forgive that, I’ve done some dumbass things out of anger before.

Now today, she was over at my house. I have a guitar, I don’t play it but it was my grand dads so I keep it around. She plays the guitar so was just fiddling with it, she does that sometimes, strumming a few chords. A string snapped (I think, I heard a loud twangy noise), and she slammed it on the ground. That broke too. That was a step too far for me.

I told her she can’t use any of my stuff anymore, no borrowing the computer, no using my pens, nothing. She said that I was emotionally isolating her. I thought that was sort of silly but she broke down crying and now I feel bad.

She won’t talk to me now. Did I go over board here?

Jesus, I would have shown her the door after the laptop thing, how is he at all concerned he went overboard?

I know, I know, it’s because abusive people are excellent at making it feel like your fault, but it’s still just baffling to read.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Teenagers with anger issues shouldn’t be dating. Where is that girl’s parents?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling my partner she is a millennial?

AITA for not letting it go and sending her all the examples?

Generations are identified and named by whoever writes an article that resonates best with the general populace and/or gets the most traction.

Age grouping is largely a tool for marketing/advertising data management and sales tactics.

In conclusion that is why you can call anyone a boomer especially this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
My (F21) boyfriend (M19) moved in with his second girlfriend and they now wear matching promise rings.

quote:

To preface this, I’m in an open poly-relationship with my boyfriend. I myself don’t care for having sex outside of our relationship and I’m not poly myself, but I knew he was when we got together. And I’m fine with it for the most part, we had rules and guidelines and well, communication never really seemed an issue between us. We knew each other for two years before getting together and we texted and talked every day for hours about everything. Our standing rules were checking in before having ONS and naturally telling when getting into a new relationship.

Not long after we got together my boyfriend told me that he’s texting with a girl (platonically) and he would like to meet her someday and asked if I was okay with them getting coffee together and stiff like that. I was totally fine with that, I’ve made quite a few online friends myself I wouldn’t want to miss. I’ve joked not to kiss her (as he is quite flirtatious) and to tell me if the girl is who she claimed she was. (I was raised to not trust internet strangers... so...)

They hit it off and my boyfriend was excited and sent a selfie of the two of them in the café, all was well. Fast forward a few months and he becomes more and more distant and when I ask what is between the two of them he waves it off and says they’re just friends. I make an effort to get to know her and then she calls him her boyfriend on social media. Which is news to me. I confront my boyfriend and he waves it off again, saying that it’s just a lables thing and that they were just flirting. He claims they had never kissed.

Another few months later I find out that they’re moving in together and that they’ve been dating since they met for the first time. I’m not even that surprised, just hurt as I’ve been lied to for ages at that point.

My boyfriend tells me that he still loves me and he loves both of us and they’re only moving in together as convenience. He never asked me to do that or even told me himself. Things become even more distant and boyfriend still treats our relationship like everything is fine and when I ask for more communication about everything and that I feel left out he didn’t want me to feel bad about the two of them so he kept quiet about it and actively lied? At this point I’m pretty upset and distance myself.

Fast forward again to a week ago when they exchanged “promise rings” on their one year anniversary. His girlfriend said that she plans to marry him on social media. Not sure if that’s just a joking thing as we’re all still young and in no way to be financially stable enough to marry.

I want to break up with him but we have trouble even scheduling a meet up nowadays and I don’t want to break up over text. And I’m scared it’s somehow my fault and that I gave some bone that might him keep those secrets. After all we agreed on this open poly relationship and i know this isn’t cheating.

So I’m uncertain what to tell him when he asks why I want to break up? That I can’t handle such a relationship after all? I feel really stupid and some part of him still loves him. I introduced him to my family and I wanted to plan my future with him, but it seems he doesn’t feel the same anymore? On the other hand he still says he loves me. I’m sorry this is a bit all over the place, I’ve tried to let everything sink in to react calmly, but it doesn’t work.