Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
white suburbanites will start shooting each other with their assault rifles over toilet paper justifying it as 'protecting my family in a time of crisis'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

facetoucher cat posted:

e: talking about a camping trip type thing but ugh

backpack camping should be pretty safe, i wouldn't car camp though.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Doorknob Slobber posted:

The american populace is so cowed I just don't know what they will do. There are people doing things, but nothing particularly radical at the moment. We'll see if this rent strike/general strike/debt strike takes off in any meaningful fashion. I think more than anything we will go further into corporate fascism as thats the way pretty much anyone in power currently wants to push things.

there doesn't even need to be a rent strike. they're gonna start tossing people out of their homes regardless, using cops who are getting sick backed up by troops who are also sick because the entire country is loving incompetent

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Ill Peripheral posted:

lol no poo poo. This dude was getting canned immediately. Just looking at it from a security standpoint, can't have the Commander of some of your most strategic assets publicly throw it out there that he's losing control of the situation, for the world to see. I didn't get this one.

If the people in charge gave enough of a poo poo about the crew on that ~*~strategic asset~*~ that letter wouldn't have been necessary. Honestly, if the crew of an entire aircraft carrier thinks their leaders are full of poo poo, there are worse outcomes than "they send you a letter".

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Two components of this are almost certainly:

1) longstanding distrust of the rich white male medical apparatus among the black community (which is entirely understandable considering you got so much disinformation right now from assholes all over and the long history of racism ie slavery, Tuskegee experiment).

2) Systemic socioeconomic racism in health care towards blacks. If you dig into numbers their access to treatment and medical coverage is almost certainly way lower than other racial breakdowns. I mean, come on, everyone knows black people, especially women, overexagerate their pain and don't really need pain meds :downs:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Doorknob Slobber posted:

The american populace is so cowed I just don't know what they will do. There are people doing things, but nothing particularly radical at the moment. We'll see if this rent strike/general strike/debt strike takes off in any meaningful fashion. I think more than anything we will go further into corporate fascism as thats the way pretty much anyone in power currently wants to push things.
the american populace is cowed, but not cowed enough they'll just lie down and die if they cant afford food

Serf
May 5, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

white suburbanites will start shooting each other with their assault rifles over toilet paper justifying it as 'protecting my family in a time of crisis'.

honestly shocked this hasn't happened yet. can't tell if its a good or bad thing

Serf
May 5, 2011

Woofer posted:

Trump will let 300 million people die before he lets his lifeline get cut off.

trump isn't going to be a thing

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

TwoStepBoog posted:

I don't have direct deposit with the IRS
Lmao

I only do because I did my taxes on TaxSlayer and they make you set it up.

I feel that the norm is that people do NOT have it set up but I could be wrong.

Serf
May 5, 2011

comedyblissoption posted:

the american populace is cowed, but not cowed enough they'll just lie down and die if they cant afford food

normalcy bias is a hell of a thing. never thought i'd get to see it happen in real time

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

comedyblissoption posted:

cant wait for picture cut lines in news stories under poc "looting" stores and white people "acquiring sustenance"

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Chris James 2 posted:

Klingon, Vulcan

klingons too sick or injured to fight undergo the Hegh'bat ritual suicide, i doubt these would've been counted as covid deaths considering the "died of mysterous pneumonia NOT covid!!!" reports coming out of the US

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Serf posted:

honestly shocked this hasn't happened yet. can't tell if its a good or bad thing

It hasn't gotten bad yet. Check back near the start of may

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin

Serf posted:

not really, no. poo poo gets wild when people can't secure the basic necessities of life

the government would directly lie about everything they need to in order to keep supermarkets stocked. they'd lie about the numbers, they'd lie about the safety of the stores and the supply chain, whatever they need to do. because they wouldn't need to do much themselves. all they need to do is let people get away with doing it for them. they'll cut regulations to allow for the sale of fake hand sanitizer and fake masks. whatever it takes to prevent real focused panic.

Star Phlatulence has issued a correction as of 22:46 on Apr 2, 2020

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Lessail posted:

i'm sick of all the "everything changed overnight but our company is here for you" ads

gently caress off

How about flatten the curve ads?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i didn't do direct deposit for taxes because i like depositing the physical checks :shrug:

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah i'm starting to think no one will ever get those checks lol. Three months from now there'll be some new issue about how the irs is "reviewing guidance and developing procedures" or some bs and the checks will be delayed another 6 months. Then delayed again. In the end a few people making like 70k who have extensive experience dealing with the irs may end up getting them but basically. Those checks ain't coming lol.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serf posted:

normalcy bias is a hell of a thing. never thought i'd get to see it happen in real time

right after 2016 happened and i converted i yelled at my dad that it's gunna be a big loving national security problem if nobody can afford rent, food, etc and burn the pentagon down out of anger as none of the troops left were willing to defend it because their own families were in danger. he blew me of off. guess I get the last laugh!

i really hope he doesn't die of covid-19 :(

Serf
May 5, 2011

slopJoe 2020330 posted:

the government would directly lie about everything they need to in order to keep people supermarkets stocked. they'd lie about the numbers, they'd lie about the safety of the stores and the supply chain, whatever they need to do. because they wouldn't need to do much themselves. all they need to do is let people get away with doing it for them. they'll cut regulations to allow for the sale of fake hand sanitizer and fake masks. whatever it takes to prevent real focused panic.

this assumes a base level of competence that they just don't have imo. lie all you want but if the food isn't on the shelves and people are getting evicted because their job doesn't exist anymore you can't fudge that

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Sharkie posted:

Yeah i'm starting to think no one will ever get those checks lol. Three months from now there'll be some new issue about how the irs is "reviewing guidance and developing procedures" or some bs and the checks will be delayed another 6 months. Then delayed again. In the end a few people making like 70k who have extensive experience dealing with the irs may end up getting them but basically. Those checks ain't coming lol.

no worries companies will hire people and take care of them. cant miss out on all those consumer profits

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

lmao at the degree of rot in this shithole country. Were a shining city on a hill alright its on loving fire.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Kentucky's one of only 4 states east of the mississippi with less than 1000+ cases and with over three times the population of the next largest. Thats going to go away by this weekend though, we're firmly in the middle of the ramp up.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

No, I live right next to all the backpacking places. They are crowded as poo poo. Stay the gently caress away. Stop camping. Don't do it. loving go away it's more crowded here than Venice Beach. Everyone else who has ever walked through an REI had the same idea to go camping this week or next, don't be like them.

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene

Asproigerosis posted:

Two components of this are almost certainly:

1) longstanding distrust of the rich white male medical apparatus among the black community (which is entirely understandable considering you got so much disinformation right now from assholes all over and the long history of racism ie slavery, Tuskegee experiment).

2) Systemic socioeconomic racism in health care towards blacks. If you dig into numbers their access to treatment and medical coverage is almost certainly way lower than other racial breakdowns. I mean, come on, everyone knows black people, especially women, overexagerate their pain and don't really need pain meds :downs:

how does distrust of the medical system result in more positive tests in that community? and what does #2, while true, have to do with that data?

Serf
May 5, 2011

i know its uncomfortable to be in a dying empire, but this is c-spam. we have been living for this moment

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Chard posted:

i didn't do direct deposit for taxes because i like depositing the physical checks :shrug:

i don't because i have a credit union that has basically no ATMs to deposit checks in, and mobile checking is really sluggish and awkward and i hate using it. also you get your tax returns with DD a lot faster, usually like 10 days after filing.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Dog Toothbrush posted:

haha it only kills olds, whoops
haha it only kills men, whoops
haha it only kills white people, whoops

it onlys kills unknown

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Balkanize the US

Serf
May 5, 2011

TwoStepBoog posted:

Balkanize the US

this is one of the likely scenarios

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Serf posted:

i know its uncomfortable to be in a dying empire, but this is c-spam. we have been living for this moment

It's honestly fascinating. I know it takes more that one plague to kill an empire, but America is really loving stupid so who knows

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Dog Toothbrush posted:

how does distrust of the medical system result in more positive tests in that community? and what does #2, while true, have to do with that data?

Once your lungs fill with a certain amount of fluid it's no longer a choice to go to the doctor.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

okay there is someone across the street from me clearly doing exercise naked right in front of their window

quarantine life is weird

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

TwoStepBoog posted:

Balkanize the US

Already underway

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I'm willing to bet that Trump is musing about just declaring bankruptcy for the entire federal government since that worked so well for him the numerous times he did it previously with his various businesses, and that his advisors are talking him down from it. Just close up shop and let the states figure it out.

He just wants to go back to playing golf and tweeting.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

God loving drat

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if you have not witnessed the absolute sluggish nature of grocery store service desks before HELL PANDEMIC you cannot understand the chaos that is about to go down at the Kroger even IF the checks do go out.

they're going to have to have dudes with M16's to prevent riots, and they are all going to run out of cash for covid checks 15 minutes after opening.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

if the us balkanized it be on the gop's terms cause the Democrats are cowards who won't do anything

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

U-DO Burger posted:

okay there is someone across the street from me clearly doing exercise naked right in front of their window

quarantine life is weird

You're the one looking bro. I'm just working on my quarantine 6-pack while I get some vitamin d.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

I live in Maine and have been totally isolated except this one girl I'm seeing who works from home and is pretty isolated too. Only visits me, but she isn't taking this as seriously as my CSPAM addled brain. I've got sarcoidosis, early stage, last scan showed light lung inflammation. 43 yo male, no other comorbidities. Trying to figure out a date to tell this chick to move in or buzz off lol. I think Saturday. I'm getting anxious even thinking about seeing her now, although we are both living in a rural area and have been pretty isolated (except each other) for weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

covid