Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Isn't Bill Gates also really worried about "overpopulation"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Yes, North America is a low bar. I'm from the most progressive city supposedly, Vancouver, which is mega lib at best and getting significantly more fascist in time since regular people can't live there anymore. Cost of living is the same as Sydney yet many people make $5 less per hour than Australia's $19.49 minimum wage. I had to own a car in Vancouver, don't in Melbourne. In Vancouver I had no hope of retiring, in Melbourne my employer pays for my retirement on top of $10 more per hour and a month of paid vacation.

vancouver sounds like the absolute worst city in north america by far tho?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

shovelbum posted:

For cost of living definitely. It has a good reputation though, or at least used to.

Edit: you can definitely do way worse on the continent, to be fair.

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 23:34 on Apr 26, 2020

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Stairmaster posted:

i dont think that really changes anything

oh im not saying i agree with him at all. tom cotton is a racist piece of poo poo

it's more that it's noteworthy that the right wing in the us is making a concerted effort to attack scientific ties with china

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
LLKJU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

shovelbum posted:

So are we going to see 2008 recession style white collar layoffs at some point or are we just fully admitting that having a white collar job is a class marker and people can keep their wfh sinecures in a depression?

Look into your heart

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

garrison finally did a good cartoon ?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZNHD7zt1pE

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

President Madagascar has done it again!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I'm watching the original Jurassic Park on tbs

it's even better than I remember

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

shovelbum posted:

I would rather live in Vancouver than somewhere like Jacksonville lol

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

shovelbum posted:

So are we going to see 2008 recession style white collar layoffs at some point or are we just fully admitting that having a white collar job is a class marker and people can keep their wfh sinecures in a depression?

absolute yes, white collar jobs will be trashed. any company that relies on advertising is _fucked_ right now--ad spend is hugely down as every company freaks out about the short term future. this is having big knock on effects for companies that depend on ad revenue... like google, facebook, etc. google has already announced they're stopping and slowing hiring: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-15/google-to-slow-hiring-for-rest-of-2020-ceo-pichai-tells-staff that's just a start, expect them to get aggressive with 'managing out' people and maybe even layoffs after that (yes, tech companies with billions in the bank have layoffs: https://techcrunch.com/2009/01/22/sad-day-for-microsoft-5000-laid-off-earnings-and-revenues-down/--story from 2009 in the last collapse)

don't feel safe or comfortable in any job, unless it's like burying covid-19 victims

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Spergin Morlock posted:

I would rather live in Vancouver than somewhere like Jacksonville lol

well i'd be homeless in one and live great in the other so lmao

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kkBseVTUow&hd=1

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Spoondick posted:

i rented a suit from mens warehouse last year and im getting increasingly desperate emails trying to get me to buy stuff every week or so

The board for Men's Wearhouse ousted noted meme-man and owner/founder George Zimmer from his position as CEO of the company because they wanted to take it in a more profitable direction. Zimmer as CEO was a proponent of hiring post-release felons and had a "look nice land a job" sort of outlook, and at least some of the free perks offered to the employees evaporated after his departure because :capitalism:

His firing actually belongs in the schadenfreude thread, because the company after he left made a bad decision and value tanked.

How does this relate to the thread? Well, Mr. Zimmer believed in not killing his employees for an extra nickel of profit, for one.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lmao

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

shovelbum posted:

bill gates probably more or less tried to do things that he thought were good but because he is so insanely rich his unvetted fuckups became policy gospel and hosed up a bunch of schools and poo poo, which is why no one but the workers together should be that rich

yeah it's this. being a billionaire fundamentally warps a capitalist society around you. that much power is reality bending

a perfect example is the recent Netflix docuseries about him. every element of that show is influenced by its subject. from the tech policy that allows it's distribution channel to exist, to its groomed director who is basically in house PR for the Gates Foundations policy priorities. Gates and Netflix's CEO even run in the same private education VC circles. and all of this is taken uncritically and you're watching this scene with a vasoline covered lens where Gates is fumbling around on a white board drawing what he says is a toilet but looks suspiciously like a clock with all the numbers in one quarter of its face, and that's presented as a triumph of good in the world, instead of mutterings of a senile reservoir of excess capital

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

shovelbum posted:

it's coming. once call center traffic normalizes there are going to be huge layoffs.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

shovelbum posted:

I think it's going to take longer than a couple months for it to shake out.

I can only speak about my specific company but the same concepts extend to other industries. Currently I'm at a Pharma company that does elective/vanity prescriptions. Our business has never been better.

That's because

1.) All of our summer orders were placed early so suppliers could get their worthless bullshit before the pandemic set in so they can have their items on-hand and not be subject to any closures.
2.) Pharmacists did emergency overrides on apparently every prescription, so our March sales were the highest on record by far.
3.) Capital at the highest levels in the company are banking on this being over quickly (while jerking off about the march sales figures) and are investing their existing funds in new marketing / products designed to exploit the virus by pretending our current products actually do something.

There is 100% going to be another middle class bloodbath. I currently know people making grossly expensive vanity kitchen appliances at factories running 24/7, people at vitamin manufacturers going nuts on Vitamin C/Vitamin D for the virus simply because they think people will buy this stuff as they build larger and larger unsold stockpiles. My machine distributor that works all over the country has said 4 local manufacturers near us have spent six+ figures installing hand sanitizer production lines. Money is flowing everywhere in non-service industry right now.

It will just take some time for the second great depression stuff to settle in and everyone to realize that tens of millions are out of work and business/spending is not coming back for years. "Oh we aren't actually going to make money from our investment into video conferencing because of mass layoffs? What do you mean Hewlett Packard doesn't need 32,000 middle management project managers that shuffle paperwork on copiers, paper and toner?"

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
So is Trump sacking Azar?

Health Secretary Jared Kushner coming up

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

shovelbum posted:

they layoffs have already started. they're gonna keep coming. the industries being hit are mostly what white collar workers spend money on, but service industry sectors and manufacturing have white collar corporate jobs which will be affected, and there are many industries they pay that will have a downtick in income. like, disney hires hundreds of agencies, what happens when there's no movies for the next six months? those agencies dont have income. layoffs and closures.

white collar just hasn't felt the after effects.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Gripweed posted:

very much

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

RandomBlue posted:

Major Karen energy here:

Ah yesss

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

mod sassinator posted:

absolute yes, white collar jobs will be trashed. any company that relies on advertising is _fucked_ right now--ad spend is hugely down as every company freaks out about the short term future. this is having big knock on effects for companies that depend on ad revenue... like google, facebook, etc. google has already announced they're stopping and slowing hiring: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-15/google-to-slow-hiring-for-rest-of-2020-ceo-pichai-tells-staff that's just a start, expect them to get aggressive with 'managing out' people and maybe even layoffs after that (yes, tech companies with billions in the bank have layoffs: https://techcrunch.com/2009/01/22/sad-day-for-microsoft-5000-laid-off-earnings-and-revenues-down/--story from 2009 in the last collapse)

don't feel safe or comfortable in any job, unless it's like burying covid-19 victims

p much yeah. expect a lot of companies to go full skeleton crew or close outright. if you aren't someone deemed part of that future skeleton crew, be prepare to be laid off. also be prepare to be laid off anyway.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
As with many other topics, the podcast Citations Needed presents a great leftist perspective on Bill Gates and his philanthropy

https://m.soundcloud.com/citationsneeded/episode-45-the-not-so-benevolent-billionaire-bill-gates-and-western-media

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

anime was right posted:

they layoffs have already started. they're gonna keep coming. the industries being hit are mostly what white collar workers spend money on, but service industry sectors and manufacturing have white collar corporate jobs which will be affected, and there are many industries they pay that will have a downtick in income. like, disney hires hundreds of agencies, what happens when there's no movies for the next six months? those agencies dont have income. layoffs and closures.

white collar just hasn't felt the after effects.

Yeah White collar workers though they were safe but they are finding themselves also being downsized. In a recession everything gets cut from engineering to legal services since even larger companies are reducing contracts + avoiding signing new work.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/04/18/breaking-news/layoffs-and-pay-cuts-are-now-striking-more-white-collar-jobs/

quote:

First, it was bars, restaurants, hotels. And clothing stores, movie theaters, entertainment venues. And countless small businesses, from bookstores to barber shops.

Now, the record-setting flood of layoffs unleashed by the viral outbreak is extending beyond the services industries that bore the initial brunt and are still suffering most. White collar employees, ranging from software programmers and legal assistants to sales associates and some health care workers, are absorbing layoffs or salary cuts. So are workers in other occupations, like construction and real estate.

The mounting toll of job losses resulted last week in 5.2 million new applications for unemployment benefits, the Labor Department said Thursday. That raised the total number of laid-off workers in the month since the virus all but shut down the economy to 22 million — by far the worst run of U.S. job losses on record.

“There really is no industry that is immune from the effects of the outbreak,” said Daniel Zhao, senior economist at job listings website Glassdoor, said.

Employee discussions of layoffs on Glassdoor have jumped 47% among information technology firms and 64% in finance, Zhao said. Such discussions have nearly doubled among workers in health care. That’s no longer surprising: Many doctors’ offices and other health providers have cut back on nonessential procedures, and some are shedding jobs.

The software company Toast, which works with the restaurant industry, last week cut half its workforce — 1,300 people — citing a dizzying drop in restaurant sales. Yelp, the customer review site, cut 1,000 jobs. Groupon, the online discount company, shed 2,800.

Layoffs jumped by nearly 40,000 in Texas earlier this month, the government’s report said, fueled partly by job losses in a category that includes data processing and online publishing companies. In Maine, job cuts swept through employers in the professional and scientific fields, which includes architectural and engineering companies. Healthcare workers and administrative support staff lost jobs in Tennessee.

Some law firms have felt compelled to shrink their staffs, too. One victim was Fern Weinbaum, who was furloughed last month from her job as a legal secretary at a small law firm in Manhattan. Weinbaum, 68, still hasn’t received her unemployment benefits, which she is counting on to help pay her monthly rent of $1,100.

“I am very anxious, I need the money,” she said. “It’s very frustrating.”

The grim figures on layoffs, furloughs and salary cuts point to a U.S. economy that is tumbling into what appears to be a calamitous recession, the worst in decades. The nation’s output could shrink by roughly 10.5% before it starts to rebound, according to Ryan Sweet, an economist at Moody’s Analytics. That would be more than double the contraction that occurred during the 2008-2009 recession, which was the worst downturn since the Great Depression of the 1930s.

All businesses deemed nonessential have been closed in nearly every state. Some economists say the unemployment rate could reach as high as 20% in April, which would be the highest rate since the Depression. By comparison, unemployment never topped 10% during the Great Recession.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article241555986.html

quote:

Nick Castillo had just begun a job as a sales manager at an equipment distributor in South Florida. His salary was $70,000 a year plus commissions.

“Working there was fantastic,” said Castillo, 31, who also holds an MBA. “The bosses, the ownership group, everyone.”

As bad as things were getting in the outside world, Castillo says, the layoff notice he received two weeks ago was still unexpected. “I was very surprised, sad, maybe a little angry,” he said. “I have a 3-year-old son and a mortgage...I had thought sales were okay.”

Castillo is among the tens of thousands Florida workers who are now without a job. But while much of the focus from the current economic crisis has been on the decimated retail and hospitality industries, white-collar workers like Jimenez are also facing layoffs.

“Just as we saw with the 2008 Recession, job losses will cut across most industry sectors and occupations,” said Ned Murray, associate director of FIU’s Perez Metropolitan Center, in an email. “While many occupations in these sectors are low wage, these are big industry sectors employing many professionals as well.”

While-collar workers — in sales, technology, administration and other jobs — now comprise about 54 percent of the U.S. economy, or about 80 million positions, according to a Washington Post analysis.

“The impact of white collar layoffs should be less severe than consumer facing service sector jobs, but given how much economic output and consumer spending are falling right now, it is very unlikely that white collar employment makes it through this crisis unscathed,” said Abbey Omodunbi, an economist with The PNC Financial Services Grocup, in an email. “So I’d expect fewer but still some job losses. The longer the crisis goes on the more job losses and the wider they will be spread among different categories of employment.”

And while such workers may be less economically vulnerable in the short run, they typically contribute a greater share to the overall economy than blue-collar workers. When those higher-paid jobs are eliminated, consumer spending takes a hit.

Among those caught in that wider net is Lisa Wright, 56, who worked as a software consultant on a temporary contract for one of Miami’s largest hospitality companies. Wright and hundreds of other contractors were laid off en masse via a web conference call.

The news came as a shock given the scale of the project she had been working on. She considers herself luckier than many others: She supports only herself, and says she has enough of a financial cushion to get her through the short-term.

She is optimistic that her experience should allow her to pick up new work—although she said one local company that she had planned to interview with canceled the appointment at the last minute, saying it was pausing its planned project.

“There’s so much uncertainty, in all businesses,” she said. She declined to state her earnings but said she was operating at a senior level.

To retain her cash, she accepted offers to defer payments on her new house in Broward as well as a car payment. And she fears that if the crisis drags on, she will have to dip into her retirement funds.

Mark Muro, senior fellow and policy director at think-tank Brookings Institution’s Metropolitan Policy Program, warns that the labor market may not pick up even after the immediate crisis passes. That’s because technology adoption accelerates in business down-cycles, he said. “It’s almost an [economic] law,” he said.

And with the advent of artificial technology, an increasing number of white collar professions — like human resources, marketing, and finance — likely are going to be replaced by software, he said.

“This is going to be a major assault on the bottom line of companies, who are then going to find that technology is much cheaper than people,” Muro said.

Kristen Elle Solorzano, a public relations professional, was laid off from an all-inclusive hotel chain where she was earning $43,000 per year. She started at the company in January, pitching stories to journalists and managing social media.

“Due to the coronavirus, the company has lost millions of dollars and decided to let go of 50% of the staff, myself included,” said Solorzano, 24.

She quickly took to social media to ask around about jobs, describing her skills on Facebook groups, which include a degree from the University of Florida and a certificate from Harvard. More than 50 people replied to one of her posts with messages like “If I hear of anything I’ll let you know. Chin up!” There were also replies about openings at a hearing aid company and at the City of Miami; a link to Chewy’s jobs page, to Disney’s Work from Home program and a few suggestions to apply to Instacart, which hires people to shop for and deliver groceries. One person posted the contact details of a lawyer that’s helping people recoup lost wages.

And there were a few “I’ll contact you. I’m looking for someone” type of replies.

But more than 10 days after her post, Solorzano still hasn’t found work. And she has other worries to think about, too:

“I have three young step sisters, which I help support, as well as my dad and step-mom. I’m looking for contract work, freelance jobs in marketing and social media — anything in my field. The problem is that nobody is hiring right now.”

Castillo, the sales manager, considers himself lucky: His wife works as a nurse, so there is still money coming in to help support their three-year-old son.

But he also they also have a $2,000 mortgage to pay. Castillo estimates he can get by for two more weeks.

He would not want to take government assistance, but he’s already applied for unemployment, and doubts he’ll be able to find a job before the first check comes in.

etalian has issued a correction as of 23:59 on Apr 26, 2020

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

just hang people in harnesses, way more efficient. You can take out the floor of the plane and let them poop and piss into the stratosphere

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

they are touching rear end

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

seattle plague rat posted:

wow okay

im not a chud

no but rlly i had no idea and couldnt tell from the vid. its just a weird dude talking about making video games

altho now that u mention it its very xtian bootstrappy

gotta look up his chud creds now

i love oddworld and was really sad when i saw who lorne lanning follows on twitter

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The riots aren't going to start until the people who were laid-off realize they won't be able to find new jobs once the virus is gone because companies realized they make more profits without them.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Homeless Friend posted:

just hang people in harnesses, way more efficient. You can take out the floor of the plane and let them poop and piss into the stratosphere

there's a ton of unused space on the wings too

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

shovelbum posted:

Probably.

The virus itself isn't anywhere near being stopped outside of a handful of countries that acted early and/or competently. That means there's several months more of the current situation in badly affected countries.

The longer it goes on, the less chance of the 'temporarily' closed businesses reopening at the other end. It might be mostly small businesses copping the brunt of it but this is a massive hit and the effects will ripple throughout the economy. A competent economic response might've seen these small businesses get financial support to see them through but all reports seem to suggest the support package was mostly given to grifters so lol

Why a lot of big layoffs haven't happened already is due to the early pronouncement that this would be a short, sharp V shaped event that we'd wear and then business would resume uninterrupted on the other side. People are still clinging to that idea and it's implications even though any hope of the V shaped recovery are long gone. Once that realisation hits home I think you'll see a lot of people getting sacked.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
All afternoon and evening has been sirens to the hospital. More than "normal"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Giga Gaia posted:

it does and it owns. best movie about either of those poo poo heads. it also shows how they stole all their gui poo poo from xerox and dos from that nerd in an arizona shed or w/e
idk who that second imaginary person is supposed to be but i'm sure the guy who wrote dos is really torn up about making enough money in microsoft's early years to retire at 40 and play with robots

have you considered maybe reading a nonfiction book instead of relying on hollywood films that make things up

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Gripweed posted:

Only in Africa and South America.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
lmaoing at the dumb binches who think indoor cats can spontaneously get covid

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

FAUXTON posted:

lmaoing at the dumb binches who think indoor cats can spontaneously get covid
wish they would

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bill Gates is bad because 1) he made his money doing anti-competitive stuff, and 2) the ultrawealthy should be taxed into oblivion and not forgiven just because they slowly use their money for charitable causes to feel self-important on their own terms when they feel like it throughout their life.

However, Bill Gates isn't bad because the specific charitable causes he is using his money for are bad in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Gazpacho posted:

wish they would