Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

comedy break time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

MORE DEATH CULT

forced vaccines led to Japanese internment is a hot take I was not expecting from Cororna-denial land
https://twitter.com/Barnes_Law/status/1254545049242816512?s=20

It's just the flu bro
https://twitter.com/kevinduffy1929/status/1253688111357292544?s=20
https://twitter.com/JamesTodaroMD/status/1254475378795651072?s=20

also chruches are back open
https://twitter.com/TimesFreePress/status/1254485405673684992?s=20

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Spergin Morlock posted:

I would rather live in Vancouver than somewhere like Jacksonville lol

As someone who moved from Tallahassee to Vancouver there's hardly any comparison in quality of life.

Also, lol at that poster saying they have to own a car in Vancouver. Of course I've never been to Melbourne so maybe it makes Vancouver look lovely, but when your frame of reference is various Orlando exurbs, North Florida and Atlanta then Vancouver seems pretty sweet.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

The chad Sweden vs the virgin rest of the world

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

shovelbum posted:

So are we going to see 2008 recession style white collar layoffs at some point or are we just fully admitting that having a white collar job is a class marker and people can keep their wfh sinecures in a depression?

It's coming, it's just going to hit later. One of my two large clients is a medical service company that employs a ton of regular developers along with contractors like me. It's an open secret that they're planning fairly deep layoffs in 2-4 months time, and all the employees that they sent to work from home are just waiting for the other shoe to drop. You're going to see a lot of companies retain workers for now for various reasons, but expect those cuts once the economy begins to "reopen" on a wide scale.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/jherrerx/status/1254586416664735744

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

It's coming, it's just going to hit later. One of my two large clients is a medical service company that employs a ton of regular developers along with contractors like me. It's an open secret that they're planning fairly deep layoffs in 2-4 months time, and all the employees that they sent to work from home are just waiting for the other shoe to drop. You're going to see a lot of companies retain workers for now for various reasons, but expect those cuts once the economy begins to "reopen" on a wide scale.

Yeah it's basically a delayed reaction as companies starting seeing new projects and contracts dry up for white collar professional work.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Taco Duck posted:

The chad Sweden vs the virgin rest of the world

lmao how they keep on saying the uniqueness of Swedish culture means they won't get exponential growth.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Leroy Diplowski posted:

As someone who moved from Tallahassee to Vancouver there's hardly any comparison in quality of life.

Also, lol at that poster saying they have to own a car in Vancouver. Of course I've never been to Melbourne so maybe it makes Vancouver look lovely, but when your frame of reference is various Orlando exurbs, North Florida and Atlanta then Vancouver seems pretty sweet.

as a person who moved from the Phoenix area to the PNW, it's really no contest lol. yes it's more expensive but it's also much nicer in a million different ways.

Constantly LARPing
Aug 30, 2006

Helith posted:

It was a big wildfire.

Speaking of, isn't wildfire season about to start in California? How is the fuel load looking out there, are you predicted a bad season this year?

It’s pretty much the worst possible weather we could have up until now. Super dry January and February that dries out the trees and add a lot of fuel, then more rain in March that gets the grasses to grow which will dry out anyway. They’ve also cut back a ton on fire maintenance since there’s a pandemic going on. If it’s a normal dry summer it’s going to be a bad fire year. Going to own when a whole town like Paradise goes up and the residents are living in what amounts to a refugee camp while COVID is a thing.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

etalian posted:

Yeah it's basically a delayed reaction as companies starting seeing new projects and contracts dry up for white collar professional work.

Yup. Lots of companies are doing work right now that's really 6+ months old, but they're staring into an abyss going forward. It doesn't even matter if there's a return to "normal" economic activity by the end of the year, because the big black hole in the middle is going to wreck a lot of businesses and force layoffs before they can start picking up more work.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Constantly LARPing posted:

It’s pretty much the worst possible weather we could have up until now. Super dry January and February that dries out the trees and add a lot of fuel, then more rain in March that gets the grasses to grow which will dry out anyway. They’ve also cut back a ton on fire maintenance since there’s a pandemic going on. If it’s a normal dry summer it’s going to be a bad fire year. Going to own when a whole town like Paradise goes up and the residents are living in what amounts to a refugee camp while COVID is a thing.

actually, its always fire season

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Where did they get the 30% immunity number? That would be like 300,000 people who have had the virus in Stockholm and the worldometers tracker only has 6% of that in the whole country. They still need to get to 60% too for any real herd immunity, so you'd have to double the number of deaths they have at least.

That article looks like some wishful thinking.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

Yup. Lots of companies are doing work right now that's really 6+ months old, but they're staring into an abyss going forward. It doesn't even matter if there's a return to "normal" economic activity by the end of the year, because the big black hole in the middle is going to wreck a lot of businesses and force layoffs before they can start picking up more work.

Also even learn code weirdos will also get affected.

The economy crashing to Great Depression level means less server farms, less ad money and no new programming / software / IT upgrade projects. Many e-commerce companies have already started laying off employees this month.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/ajmalalami/status/1254492102328758277?s=19

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.
Just in case anyone is tempted to believe the NPR/Death Cult propaganda about Sweden's idiocy

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/yaboy_adam/status/1254416104417562625

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

etalian posted:

Also even learn code weirdos will also get affected.

The economy crashing to Great Depression level means less server farms, less ad money and no new programming / software / IT upgrade projects. Many e-commerce companies have already started laying off employees this month.

Oh yeah. I am a code weirdo, I'm just a contractor. The layoffs I'm talking about are largely computer touchers too, because those are the people I'm typically interacting with at this company. No one is going to be safe, and a lot of people who are probably feeling pretty secure right now are going to be in for a shock by the end of the year.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

E Depois do Adeus posted:

how dumb is it for someone who probably hasn't had COVID to take the NYC subway? trying to convince my friend to shell out the extra $50 for a lyft

There was a study posted a few days ago that indicated it was a truly airborne virus that survives suspended in the air for like 16 hours so good luck if you do take the subway

If someone has the link to that study itd be sweet ty

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
This chart is based on the assumption that the IFR for COVID-19 is 0.2% as extrapolated from the Santa Clara and Los Angeles antibody studies. Those studies used an antibody test which has been found by three independent validations to have a false positive rate much higher than the manufacturer's claimed rate, to the point where we cannot even be sure whether any of the positive test results are real positives or false positives. Consequently those two particular studies are pretty much garbage and this chart is garbage too.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/weedhitler/status/1254593494825316359?s=19

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Georgiacorona/status/1254591066432512000

Love those Sunday numbers

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

NPR trying to convince the libs that Sweden is a success so they feel safe opening up

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

oh we’re definitely going in this territory.

“well our doomed to fail lockdown that wasnt enforced didnt work, guess we got to sacrifice the weak! back to work!”

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Didn't they say they would not allow them to deport anymore?

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1254591094001504258

Everything is fine

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Jamsta posted:

Ah yesss

LOL, nice.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Judakel posted:

Didn't they say they would not allow them to deport anymore?

huh must have missed that email. can you forward it again and we'll touch base next week to make sure we're all on the same page before we implement during our release weekend next month?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

how does garrison think this makes trump look good

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Cabbages and Kings posted:

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

What the gently caress. Georgia just dropped from a 19% positive rate to 7.38% in two days? With no corresponding increase in number of tests? I'm calling bullshit.

The only way the red state REOPEN NOW governors are getting out of this is by faking the numbers. This is suspect af.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

He's as alive as Biden

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Gio posted:

oh we’re definitely going in this territory.

“well our doomed to fail lockdown that wasnt enforced didnt work, guess we got to sacrifice the weak! back to work!”

the right narrative is gonna be that the deaths were inevitable and the economic damage was the real harm

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

um, im p sure all the ancient rear end loving professors dying because 300 students cough on them 8 hours a day will collapse the system far quicker than simply keeping classes online will

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Lady Militant posted:

um, im p sure all the ancient rear end loving professors dying because 300 students cough on them 8 hours a day will collapse the system far quicker than simply keeping classes online will

im all the grad students salivating over those sweet tenured positions opening up

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

dantheman650 posted:

have any of you had any luck engaging with a conspiracy theorist family member? my sister lives with my mom and is basically a covid-19 denier. we got into a huge fight about it. normally I’d just ignore her but I’m worried about my mom’s safety. suggestions?

almost my entire immediate family except my 90 year old dad are all regular Fox News watchers and think it's just the flu / death numbers are inflated / the IHME model says 60 thousand deaths NBD / "we just need to get to HERD IMMUNITY" (this last one is the worst because it's from a sister who lives with me and my dad). every single one of them is in a high risk bracket for an assortment of reasons, mostly because they're all 55+.

the "herd immunity" sister who I share a house with had the option to work from home but just doesn't like to. she's a professional church lady. I'm only 50 and fairly healthy so I'm pretty sure I'm not going to die but I'm not looking forward to the next year or so.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

im all the grad students salivating over those sweet tenured positions opening up

lol if you think uni admins are going to keep fully tenured lines as opposed to adjunctifying everything

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

*starving postdocs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

nice