Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Boba Pearl posted:

Actually it's incredibly cursed and a book of dead names.

It's a named list of dead people, i.e., an ancient obituary page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:fedora: Musician's Lounge › Everyone's a musician. [THREAD OF THE DECADE] :fedora:

Operator posted:

You know what? You are pissing me off. Not you ML goons in particular, but the group you belong to. Amateur musicians.

There are way too many of you, too many make it through the loophole and get to release mediocre albums in an already oversaturated market.

Life is too short to listen to 100 bands for each genuinly innovative and talented one. It's like a 50 page menu at a restaurant where 90% of the dishes are absolute poo poo.

So are amateur musicians to blame for this? Yeah, you are. About 90% percent of you are mediocre, and have nothing to contribute to the world of music. It is time for aspiring musicians to start realizing this and let music be a hobby instead of making GBS threads around your crappy demo wasting everyones time.

For some reason, being a musician is very trendy these days. You learn to play guitar to be cool. And as soon as you are able to string a couple of chords together, sing a simple cliched melody along to it with some lyrics about emo love, SUDDENLY YOU CAN BE A SUPERSTAR!

no. Fact is, I believe just about anyone can achieve at least mediocrity if they put enough effort into it. You are in no way unique.

It is getting nearly impossible to follow the general music scene these days, it feels like every day you hear about 5 new bands, each with their own magazine article hyping them beyond all good decency. Yet they are all pathetically mediocre. And maybe one of them isn't, but you couldn't give them enough time to realize it, because you had to spend time hearing the other 4 crap bands.

And stop fueling the fire friends and relatives! Sometimes, 'that was kinda cool' suffices when compared with 'WOW YOU SHOULD GET A RECORD DEAL!' when Jimmy auditions his 'AWESOME DEMO' for you.

To conclude: More amateur musicians should come to grips with the fact that their music should never leave their homestudios.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

:d: 1 year later the OP then had a groundbreaking thread being confused about the purpose of fruits in D&D :d:

Operator posted:

As most of you know, just about everything in nature serves some sort of purpose. Be it sharp teeth to tear flesh, colorful plumes to attract mates or bright colors to attract bees for pollination. Nothing is random in nature, all beings have been sculpted into its current form through millions of years of carefully perfecting its abilities and characteristics.

But sometimes, some of the traits certain lifeforms have developed through evolution just blows me away to the point where I almost choose not to believe it, and that it must have been masterminded by some sentient entity.

Take for example an apple. Exactly what purpose do apples, or any other fruit for that matter, serve? I can tell you right now that trees don't grow apples to be cool and score some cred with the herbivores. The concept of fruit is one of the most unbelievable (to me at least) feats of evolution: Fruit contain seeds, which the tree needs to spread around if it wants to procreate. The idea is that animals will eat the fruit, digest the fruit and pass the seeds along with feces to serve as the perfect source of fertilization. As you know, most plant seeds have hardened shells to protect them from the terrible things your digestive system tries to do with it and will therefore pass through your system undigested.

The complexity and ingenuity of this system is more than enough to really baffle the mind, but we look at this from a biased perspective. We are experts at complex systems. How the gently caress does a stupid plant come up with this masterplan?

You will learn that this system of distributing seeds is the result of countless years of evolution, but that just doesn't satisfy my need to understand this properly.

1. How did the plants first get the idea? Plants can't see and they are not aware of animals around them. How did plants get the idea to use these mobile herbivores to use as seed distributors when they lack the abilty to be aware of them, see them or hear them?

2. Even if we assume the first question can be answered, there is still a second mystery to this. How did the plants know that seeds needed hardened shells to survive passing through the digestive systems of animals? Exactly how do plants know that animals have acid in their stomachs? It's not like the seeds could report back to the plant and let it know after trying to pass through it? How does the plant even know that it would pass the seed? Plants don't poo poo so I'd assume it doesn't know much about that?

When I consider these amazing traits of evolution it isn't hard for me to understand how ID supporters think - that some unknown sentient entity at some unknown level or dimension is guiding the hand of evolution.

This can also be applied to the origin of life. There are many theories and no one have been anywhere close to empirically proving any of them. No one has been able to recreate the creation of life. From what I know, amino acids combine to form proteins which is the main component for life. Scientists seem to agree that amino acids were around long before we believe life originated, so somehow amino acids combined to create proteins. But the thing is, that amino acids need to combine in very complex and specific sequences to correctly form a protein. I've heard it said that the odds of them combining correctly by chance is equivalent to winning the national lottery 10,000 times in a row. The fact is we really don't know how life originated, we only have unproven theories none of which even have any scientific consensus.

If you see in that light it's easy to see how some people choose to believe that something somewhere engineered life as we know it and sparked it.

I am in no way an ID supporter, but I do not completely discard the idea.

But these are just a laymans loose thoughts really, can anyone here with knowledge or interesting insights about this subject share their thoughts on this..?

And was also used as ammo against OP in helldump when helldump was a thing I guess :v:

The Plant Guy posted:

I can't even consider how a loving plant is able to think up these grand schemes. It must be an "intelligent designer", right guys ;)

ps the designer is god, but dont' tell teh liberals

EorayMel has a new favorite as of 19:30 on Aug 30, 2021

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Marcade posted:

Saw someone in FF14 named "Lovecraft's Cat" and I had to simultaneously laugh and cringe.

Were they the catboy race and what color was their fur. Did they commit, is my question

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

wizzardstaff posted:

Hi Meli-Shipak,

Just circling back on the status of the irrigation project. Per my previous tablet, it seems like we're consistently running a little low on water levels for the sesame fields. Going forward, could we schedule a weekly meeting to touch base and keep everyone in the loop? Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Ibbi-Ilabrat

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

projecthalaxy posted:

Were they the catboy race and what color was their fur. Did they commit, is my question

Elezen. However, there are 13 Lovecraft's Cat(s) in FF14 according to the online character search. One Lovecraft's Catgirl.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

A Jupiter posted:

*continues to munch on piss-soaked cheerios*

*slurping on spoonfuls of piss and cheerios again and again*

ugn

* grips the bowl with both hands and chugs the cheerio-infused piss*

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah but then you get transphobe deadites running around.

I thought they were already.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

no this isn't the Furry Forum Quotes thread

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Samovar posted:

I thought they were already.

mainly she just hangs out in her Scottish castle these days

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

more like Army of Dorkness

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Martman posted:

no this isn't the Furry Forum Quotes thread

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I got very confused and thought you were talking about Enya, and was wondering if she had done anything noteworthy since her anal sex ad.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

I got very confused and thought you were talking about Enya, and was wondering if she had done anything noteworthy since her anal sex ad.

Wait what's that now

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

RFC2324 posted:

Who did what?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Did...did anal sex need an ad?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Robobot posted:

Did...did anal sex need an ad?

surely you've heard of backdoor advertising

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

About a decade ago, I guess, Enya ran an ad looking for someone to come shag her, and a willingness to engage in anal was mentioned. It was scrubbed from the internet, tho I was able to find an article a few years ago.

Pretty sure it was Enya. How many insanely rich, insanely reclusive women are there in Ireland/Scotland?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

RFC2324 posted:

About a decade ago, I guess, Enya ran an ad looking for someone to come shag her, and a willingness to engage in anal was mentioned. It was scrubbed from the internet, tho I was able to find an article a few years ago.

Pretty sure it was Enya. How many insanely rich, insanely reclusive women are there in Ireland/Scotland?
You're thinking of Sinead O'Connor

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

RFC2324 posted:

What the gently caress

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
all up Enya rear end

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Splicer posted:

You're thinking of Sinead O'Connor

My bad!

It was the other one.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

My bad!

It was the other one.

Well then I suppose I can stop searching for Enya's email address

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

For anyone curious but unwilling to google 'sinead anal'

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_941808

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Ha, remember when Sinead O'Connor was famous? That was a crazy time.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Robobot posted:

Ha, remember when Sinead O'Connor was famous? That was a crazy time.

She got cancelled because she tore up a picture of the pope. Truly, a trailblazer in cancel culture.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

She got cancelled because she tore up a picture of the pope. Truly, a trailblazer in cancel culture.
She said a bunch of stuff that turned out to be very true about 5 years before people were willing to hear it.

About child abuse and misogyny and the culpability of the Church in both, not about her looking for a sex partner

Splicer has a new favorite as of 17:05 on Aug 31, 2021

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Sinead O'Connor is cool as hell and I hope some stud blows out her Sinead O'ring, namaste

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Didnt she convert to Islam in the last few years or did i hallucinate that?

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Splicer posted:

She said a bunch of stuff that turned out to be very true about 5 years before people were willing to hear it.

About child abuse and misogyny and the culpability of the Church in both, not about her looking for a sex partner

She's also cool about anal sex

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Skulk Hogan posted:

Didnt she convert to Islam in the last few years or did i hallucinate that?

interesting, happened in 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

OPAONI posted:

She's also cool about anal sex

Anyone got Sludge Tank’s contact info I think we’ve got one hell of a missed connection here

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Arivia posted:

Anyone got Sludge Tank’s contact info I think we’ve got one hell of a missed connection here

By his own admission his spooge makes people sick on contact. Especially with anal.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

RFC2324 posted:

Empty Sandwich posted:

all up Enya rear end

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah we saw that. it was like six posts ago

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
My favourite part of all of this is I thought I was in the post your white whale thread and RFC2324's white whale was "That article about Enya looking to get calm.jpged"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Splicer posted:

My favourite part of all of this is I thought I was in the post your white whale thread and RFC2324's white whale was "That article about Enya looking to get calm.jpged"

:discourse:

thread confusion at its finest

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

click through for mildly disturbing context:

nut posted:

drat, this guy is totally nuts

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rockman Reserve posted:

click through for mildly disturbing context:

Pot meet kettle.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Path Dot Com posted:

So I was on the internet as usual last night and I came across the shittiest loving website ever. They are trying to be the next myspace and everything about it sucks. Anyways, my friends are members on sa and they just sit here all day and read threads instead of actually going out, and thats why i signed up here even though this is probably going to be my only post ever. My friend works for the website in some lovely shed downtown and I want to gently caress with him. They have this stupid thing on the site where you can send pictures from your phone to the site and it posts it automatically- no one checks them and I don't think they can delete them. Can I get some help with people sending offensive poo poo to their site?? The site is path.com don't expect anything great there.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Dabir posted:

No admin has come out strongly in favour of this, several are against it, the closest your summary gets to reality is a couple going "I don't care one way or the other. is piss upsetting people?"

The actual problem being discussed is serial pissflooders flooding the station with piss every round and several alternative solutions have already come up, like making pissing damage your kidneys, having piss cause stains instead of puddles that contribute to the fluid system, reducing the amount one person can piss etc. But I guess it's hard to turn that into an "admins are DELETING FUN game dead now" hate-on for the benefit of people who don't play the game any more.