Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the strongest bug?
This poll is closed.
Praying mantis 91 21.06%
🐜 71 16.44%
🦂 56 12.96%
🕷 46 10.65%
🦎 101 23.38%
Centipede 67 15.51%
Total: 432 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The cake is NOT a lie!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/samramani2/status/1517760187515514880?s=21&t=_6hBGmmPbxOhqocLpOgmUA

Russians confidently lining up their goals for phase 2, wonder why they feel this confident

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I may disapprove of your nazi ideology, but I will defend to the death your right to spread it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

https://twitter.com/samramani2/status/1517760187515514880?s=21&t=_6hBGmmPbxOhqocLpOgmUA

Russians confidently lining up their goals for phase 2, wonder why they feel this confident

It's just another loudmouth Duma deputy. I wouldn't take it as a sign of anything.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Every military has a manual for digging mass graves because the alternative is cholera.

They thoughtfully updated their procedures back in September, and it hit the news circuit at the end of the year, back when everyone still went "Oh they're absolutely not going to invade, stop being hysterical."

https://t.co/5TP9txdkMc

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-mass-burials-regulations/31619324.html?msclkid=020d1614c2d711ecab4e1825718ce2a3

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Hannibal Rex posted:

They thoughtfully updated their procedures back in September, and it hit the news circuit at the end of the year, back when everyone still went "Oh they're absolutely not going to invade, stop being hysterical."

https://t.co/5TP9txdkMc

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-mass-burials-regulations/31619324.html?msclkid=020d1614c2d711ecab4e1825718ce2a3

In our defense, we thought Russia was absolutely not going to invade because 99% of the time, the U.S. government and media's narrative on foreign invasions is a straight-up lie. It's not a perfect guiding principle, but it usually steers us just fine.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Endman posted:

I suppose you also think the area-bombing of German and Japanese cities was totally cool too?

What? gently caress no, war sucks.

Gross. Literal expression of genocidal intent.

Racism sucks

BrotherJayne has issued a correction as of 09:06 on Apr 23, 2022

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

whoever bought your avatar hosed the cadence up, shameful

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Wheeee posted:

whoever bought your avatar hosed the cadence up, shameful

Free art is free tho

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Wait the calipers being specific colors is where you draw the line on the value of phrenology?

Wouldn't properly enchanted calipers simply glow in thr close presence of an orc or goblin?

BrotherJayne has issued a correction as of 09:09 on Apr 23, 2022

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BrotherJayne posted:

Free art is free tho

Wouldn't properly enchanted calipers simply glow in thr close presence of an orc or goblin?

Uhhhh, were the calipers made by Elves in Gondolin during the First Age? No? Then I guess not, dumbass!
:goonsay:

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
And that one talking head recently pretty much admitted there was no intelligence indicating an invasion, and their plan was to gin up PR: if they invade, we were right; if they don't invade, our announcement scared them out of proceeding.

Another cool possibility is that the prediction encouraged (an ill-prepared) invasion, with zero negative consequences to those making said prediction.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Corky Romanovsky posted:

And that one talking head recently pretty much admitted there was no intelligence indicating an invasion, and their plan was to gin up PR: if they invade, we were right; if they don't invade, our announcement scared them out of proceeding.

Another cool possibility is that the prediction encouraged (an ill-prepared) invasion, with zero negative consequences to those making said prediction.

They're playing both sides, so they always come out on top.

I hear thr CIA also gives wicked ocular patdowns

BrotherJayne has issued a correction as of 09:20 on Apr 23, 2022

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

new cspam banner

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

:sickos:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

These Azov boys don't cut 'em no slack!

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

:discourse:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ardennes posted:

I would say it is still rather vague exactly how many causalities they took, they are certainly claims but much of the much of the evidence seems not very substantial in terms of veracity.

I would say it seems like Russian forces likely took the brunt of their losses during the early weeks but even then it doesn’t seem like their withdrawal from Kiev was a serious rout, we would see hundreds of soldiers paraded out like Mariupol. In addition, it does seem that they are taking a slower moving approach at this point and I am not hearing about huge losses atm either.

Yeah, this is the thing that stands out to me. There's stuff we'd be seeing (especially given how enthusiastic the Ukrainians are to show anything implying they're winning) that we're simply not, if they were actually winning substantive battles.

I can buy that the Russians are losing a bunch of people just due to fighting in urban areas with people who have a ton of rifles and anti-tank missiles, but there's nothing implying an actual coherent military force on Ukrainian's end that could make any sort of "counter-offensive." It seems like the best-case scenario for Ukraine is to just cause a lot of casualties in the occupying force (in exchange for likely higher numbers of casualties on their end), rather than actual driving out the Russians.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1516443643753680907?t=far2WZp6ZqdnMQdvooDDeg&s=19

https://twitter.com/TimothyDSnyder/status/1516546704425857025?t=Smfc45VYV9f_3Vz4rTpCAQ&s=19

12. Communist Colonialism
13. Nazi Colonialism

I am growing convinced that the end purpose of all liberal propaganda over Ukraine is to establish this as permanent mental fact: whatever misdeeds Nazis committed was merely a defensive overreaction against the greater evil of Communism, who where the first to start genocides anyway, so the Holocaust was actually done by Stalin

:nsa:

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They've been prodding and stirring as after the fall of the USSR and losing the cold war they can't really do much else. It's asymmetric warfare. Troll farms are cheap and western liberal democracies value freedom of speech highly(ish) so they are very vulnerable to it.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Galactic-brain levels of geopolitical knowledge and understanding.

quote:

I'm sure someone's done an effort post about this but why the hell are they raising loving Soviet flags if Putin wants to be a bulwark against communism

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Posting about war crimes should of course happen, such as: Reporting on crimes like Bucha massacres, deliberate bombings on civilian refuges, injuring/executing prisoners, sexual violence, civilian relocations, reporting that POWs are being made objects of public curiosity and their home addresses and family names publicized.

I see that as different than uncritically posting a POW interrogation, which would be illegal to create and publicize under US and NATO law.

If you and the team do not see it that way, fine, I will see myself out and only continue to post in other subforums’ threads where mods have rules against reposting such content.

It is your individual assumption that the interview has been posted uncritically, when the fraught part of the information value of it is about as obvious as water being wet, c.f. the OP's subsequent comment. It may very well not constitute a good post in spherical vacuum, but, posted as is, it does not break any thread or site rules under the interpretations that I'm familiar with.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

LOAC is not trivia. The nuances and their relationship to what we are witnessing is probably the most substantive thing that can be learned from this thread, but the best placed people to teach it are hectored by other posters, including you. Please do not circumscribe this topic.

Okay, you've said your piece. Move on.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Tei posted:

If Russia finds that can expand his territory with weapons. We will live in a much more unsafe world. China may start having ideas about Taiwan. We could have more and more wars around russia.

We need to stop it here and right now. If we want peace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G92z8l5vxpQ

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

I really dislike the characterization "sassing/concern trolling." You think it is pedantry- but you are misinterpreting the earnestness of people who have had formal training in LOAC and have it bound up with their professional ethic.

LOAC is not trivia. The nuances and their relationship to what we are witnessing is probably the most substantive thing that can be learned from this thread, but the best placed people to teach it are hectored by other posters, including you. Please do not circumscribe this topic.

That is a characterization of the specific poster making the specific post, who has a history of making subpar quality posts in this thread. You may disagree or dislike it from that angle as well, in which case I don't have anything to offer you.

In my opinion, the discussion on whether if rules around POW footage or similar should be expanded could be meriting. That said, the thread rules have been formed in pursuit of having a thread that is useful and enjoyable to read to learn about main events of war in Ukraine (not about LOAC), and on that account we're in a good spot already. Therefore, I'm not interested in spending my effort on this, especially when petitioned by a known shitposter.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mask off.

quote:

This would be a bad gamble to take. European countries are already in private talks over funding the majority of Ukraine’s reconstruction - and rightfully so, since, if we do it correctly, we’ll come out of it with profit even.

quote:

I have to assume this is the case as well - Ukraine has abundant natural resources in the form of both ores and arable land, and a population with a relatively high degree of technical skill and education plus a institutional history in high tech sectors such as nuclear engineering, rocketry, and precision machining that endures to the present day. I would all but guarantee you there are European and US companies that would love to get their hooks into both the resources and labor markets in Ukraine, and this would be a perfect opportunity.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Catpetter1981 posted:

They've been prodding and stirring as after the fall of the USSR and losing the cold war they can't really do much else. It's asymmetric warfare. Troll farms are cheap and western liberal democracies value freedom of speech highly(ish) so they are very vulnerable to it.

He is risen! It's an Easter miracle

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

lol catpetter's back, yay!

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ardennes posted:

That is how most armies work: usually it is up to the other side to collect the bodies and return them with their tags. If the Ukrainians have the bodies of 7000 Russian soldiers they would almost certainly have plenty of visual evidence and the data would have caught up by now.

Anyway, it is much less about trying to extol one side or the other but actually boiling down what happened for the sake of more useful discussion and historical necessity. I think the first phase was indeed sloppy and unworkable but at the same time direct comparisons with the Winter War seem really off (especially since the intensity of combat was focused on a few key points).

It's abundantly clear you're not picking sides FWIW.
My understanding is that is not the usual practice in western militaries. These aren't the best sources and I can't speak to their accuracy but they illustrate the difference I'm talking about.

https://schoolresources.militaryfamilies.psu.edu/resources/view/casualty-statuses-types-and-categories-2/
"Deceased: A casualty status applicable to a person who is either known to have died, determined to have died on the basis of conclusive evidence, or declared to be dead on the basis of a presumptive finding of death. The recovery of remains is not a prerequisite to determining or declaring a person deceased."

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/04/06/private-pivovarov-is-on-assignment-how-russia-hides-its-military-casualties-a77247
"Bodies must be identified in order for soldiers to be declared as killed in action. “Witness statements or body parts are not sufficient,” said Anton Scherbak, a lawyer for human rights organization Soldiers' Mothers of St. Petersburg. “If a body can’t be identified, they do DNA testing.”

But soldiers who have not yet been identified as deceased do not automatically fall into the category of missing. Bodies not returned to Russia, unidentifiable or buried in Ukraine are also not included in the list of those who were killed in action, lawyer Anastasia Burakova told The Moscow Times. "

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

ahh, that's the stuff

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Catpetter1981 posted:

Okay, you've said your piece. Move on.

Lol CommieGIR is such a pathetic piece of poo poo

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

do quite enjoy yankees naming their toys in the stupid way most possible, it just has to be phoenix ghost, maybe the next upgrade will be called the eagle phoenix ghost III extreme

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Jel Shaker posted:

do quite enjoy yankees naming their toys in the stupid way most possible, it just has to be phoenix ghost, maybe the next upgrade will be called the eagle phoenix ghost III extreme

frankly it's better than Option 2, which is naming them after Native American tribes they've exterminated

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

tomb of the unknown shitposter

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jel Shaker posted:

They should start naming covid variants like that

"I caught the ENDYMION EXCALIBUR strain!"

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As much as we are knocking German policy, a reminder that UK policy could easily have been very different:
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1517787770021896193
https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/f/now-let-us-talk-peace

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Catpetter1981 posted:

As much as we are knocking German policy, a reminder that UK policy could easily have been very different:
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1517787770021896193
https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/f/now-let-us-talk-peace

poo poo like this is why we've had 12 years of tory government and there's no end in sight.

Give people a choice between a scumbag and a coward most of them will vote for the scumbag every time.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Every untrained conscript requires mostly the same logistics train as a fully trained professional soldier and poo poo can go very bad very fast for a government if they just hand everyone guns and throw them into a meatgrinder.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Catpetter1981 posted:

Every untrained conscript requires mostly the same logistics train as a fully trained professional soldier and poo poo can go very bad very fast for a government if they just hand everyone guns and throw them into a meatgrinder.

On an unrelated note:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraines-zelenskiy-calls-citizens-fight-promises-weapons-2022-02-24/

KYIV, Feb 24 (Reuters) - Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy on Thursday called on all citizens who were ready to defend the country from Russian forces to come forward, saying Kyiv would issue weapons to everyone who wants them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

crazy bug with the forums upgrade, seeing only posts from other threads here