Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Boba Pearl posted:

B e like me and weep openly for 30 minutes staring at the screen wondering how your life got to this point,w here you had gone so wrong.

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Turn on your monitor???

Boba Pearl posted:

Oh gently caress this is way easier to post with.

Marcade posted:

For you, maybe

I copied all that before I realized it was here, and by god I am not letting that effort go to waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love a good stupid juvenile back-and-forth

Screaming Idiot posted:

If you do what you love for a living, you'll learn to hate the thing you love. :smith:

The Bloop posted:

Finally burning out at the dicksucking factory?

Screaming Idiot posted:

Your mom keeps winning employee of the month and it's really ruined my morale.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

The Talmud is just explaining bits of the Torah, and then Rabbis arguing about what those mean in the margins over hundreds of years. It's got great bits about how Adam was originally non-binary, how the plague of frogs was really a singular giant frog, and about how lesbian scissoring works.

Oyak posted:

Interesting...can you expand on those two?

I always liked how the Hebrew Bible makes one of its first references to God as "Elohim," which is plural, giving rise to the idea that Judaism was polytheistic in its primordial form, and maybe some early references to multiple gods slipped through the subsequent revision process.

Loucks posted:

I, for one, would love to see Judaism’s take on scissoring.

answers

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 04:39 on Jul 18, 2022

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Tree Bucket posted:

Feeling a bit confused as to how much I can trust all these different fairy folk. Someone should do up a carefully ordered list of how untrustworthy they all are. They can call it Shifty Grades of Fey.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

JBP posted:

You seem like someone that is always striving to be unhappy and I wish you all the best in this important endeavour.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah, it's not even someone being completely deranged in a way that's amusing like the guy who thinks we can solve COVID by destroying organized religion. It's just weird serial killer vibes.

Funny Forums Quotes: Just weird serial killer vibes

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

The only thing approaching this level of awesome in the New Testament was the time Jesus built that hotrod.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

The only thing approaching this level of awesome in the New Testament was the time Jesus built that hotrod.

Horsewhipping bankers was pretty cool.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

2 Kings 9:20

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Tunicate posted:

I don't see the big deal. It's really common for sports teams to be named after a disaster that hit the area.

You've got the San Jose Earthquakes, the Chicago Fire, the Carolina Hurricanes, the New York Jets...

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ding a ding dang!!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Not the New Testament.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

rare miss from the Spin Doctors imo

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

how are plumbing things getting electricity through them

LvK posted:

someone flushed lightning again

Bad Munki posted:

You can’t capture lightning in a butthole

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Horsewhipping bankers was pretty cool.

It's worth clarifying that it wasn't moneylenders in the Temple, it was money changers. And it wasn't really about the money changing. Jews of the time were required to make animal sacrifices at certain times of year, and the animals had to be of a certain quality and value. The priests at the Temple declared that the only acceptable sacrifices were animals purchased from the Temple, as they were known to meet the requirement of quality and other animals weren't.

So far no problem, but there was also the issue of money. The priests couldn't cheat people on value - selling a bird worth 5 shekels for 10 shekels was a big no-no - but what they did instead was say that they wouldn't accept regular money. Animals purchased from the Temple had to be bought with Temple scrip, which could only be obtained from and spent in the Temple, and that scrip was not given at one for one. So you'd have to pay the priest 10 shekels to receive 5 Temple shekels that you could then give back to buy your sacrifice. They were at base charging other Jews a fee to be Jewish and lining their own pockets with it, and that's why Jesus went apeshit on them.

Incidentally, if this sounds to you like a bunch of 1st century CE rabbis invented cryptocurrency, you're not altogether wrong. Nothing really changes.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Jesus would definitely gently caress up the city of london, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Jesus would definitely gently caress up the city of london, though.

Yes, but because they're complete fuckers, not because they're moneychangers.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

temple crypto would be going to sacrifice a lamb only for it to morph into a leopard at the altar before shrinking into a halibut as the knife comes down, then a seagull nicks it

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Scalpers at the sacrifice?!?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jedit posted:

It's worth clarifying that it wasn't moneylenders in the Temple, it was money changers.

If someone had gotten to me when I was younger and said that those people who run the arcades you have to buy tokens from instead of using quarters got their asses kicked by Jesus then maybe I would have gone to church.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Lobok posted:

If someone had gotten to me when I was younger and said that those people who run the arcades you have to buy tokens from instead of using quarters got their asses kicked by Jesus then maybe I would have gone to church.

There's a reason the main people telling you about Jesus are also people who are absolutely not going to tell you anything about capitalism being bad

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Karate Bastard posted:

Scalpers at the sacrifice?!?
Boon God!?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a reason the main people telling you about Jesus are also people who are absolutely not going to tell you anything about capitalism being bad

You like Megazords and Mega Man, we know you'll love our mega church!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:ghitler: loving FRAUD IN THE COUPONS FORUM!!! gently caress!!! :ghitler:

abstraxion posted:

Or try it, and create a virtual credit card number authorized only for $40. God I love that feature.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That place is a madhouse. Every day I go in to check for videogame deals, I kiss my wife and kids goodbye as if it may be the last time.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Captain Hygiene posted:

That place is a madhouse. Every day I go in to check for videogame deals, I kiss my wife and kids goodbye as if it may be the last time.

It truly is a den of inequity

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Platystemon posted:

Not the New Testament.

True but it is applicable.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

haveblue posted:

anime con carne

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Dick lockpicking as a skill.

Kesper North posted:

You just have to align the tumblrs

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

is pepsi ok posted:

Ft. Lauderdale could have been such an amazing city if it had been planned around the intercoastal waterways. It's official nickname is literally "The Venice of America".

But instead the only thing that got built on the intercoastal was big mansions for rich people, and everything else got shoved into downtown which has zero public transportation. Now after 10 years of only building mixed use luxury condos it's an overcrowded nightmare with a failing sewer system.

And yeah yeah sea level rise is gonna wreck everything anyway but in a hypothetical non-captialist hellworld Ft. Lauderdale could have been a beautiful and sustainable community based around boat access.

Born in Bexhill posted:

anything that is referred to as “the X of America” should promptly be destroyed

for an example please refer to the former “Stonehenge of America”

Ghost Leviathan posted:

'United States'

Checks out

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I know this isn’t the PYF tweet thread but I have to believe these fictional tweets were inspired by the “Muslims in the moon” and “Trump and the Orb” posts that get quoted here every so often.

https://twitter.com/dustinkcouch/status/1549558177208963073?s=21&t=RPsWEclbIW2UMDWcf50q0A

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

what's a driver?

eschaton posted:

a miserable pile of I/Os

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:aatrek: Literally laughing out loud at your bullshit. :aatrek:

Goldwarf posted:

This thread can't be loving serious. I've seen a lot of hilarious/pathetic goon poo poo, but this takes the cake, the pie, the oven, and half the house.

Literally laughing out loud.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

EorayMel posted:

:aatrek: Literally laughing out loud at your bullshit. :aatrek:

Unban this man

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sure why not bring back the guy banned for sexism in 2011.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jedit posted:

It's worth clarifying that it wasn't moneylenders in the Temple, it was money changers. And it wasn't really about the money changing. Jews of the time were required to make animal sacrifices at certain times of year, and the animals had to be of a certain quality and value. The priests at the Temple declared that the only acceptable sacrifices were animals purchased from the Temple, as they were known to meet the requirement of quality and other animals weren't.

So far no problem, but there was also the issue of money. The priests couldn't cheat people on value - selling a bird worth 5 shekels for 10 shekels was a big no-no - but what they did instead was say that they wouldn't accept regular money. Animals purchased from the Temple had to be bought with Temple scrip, which could only be obtained from and spent in the Temple, and that scrip was not given at one for one. So you'd have to pay the priest 10 shekels to receive 5 Temple shekels that you could then give back to buy your sacrifice. They were at base charging other Jews a fee to be Jewish and lining their own pockets with it, and that's why Jesus went apeshit on them.

Incidentally, if this sounds to you like a bunch of 1st century CE rabbis invented cryptocurrency, you're not altogether wrong. Nothing really changes.

Well, today I learned. Thank you.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
"God made this rule but I found a loophole because I'm smarter than god" is basically

1. What every religious person in history has done

2. Demonstrates exactly how dumb religion is

3. If god was real he'd be pretty loving mad at the insane blasphemy of you thinking you can outsmart him. Like doing buttsex to keep your virginity because you think you're smarter than God is WAY WORSE of a sin than the pre-marital sex would have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Judaism’s “God has a deep appreciation of rules-lawyering” is a valid solution to the problem. :colbert: