Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Paying a monthly fee for multiplayer access in TYOOL 2022 is loving bonkers, I can't believe people still have to pay for that poo poo. And a bunch of games have all of the F2P cruft on top of being a full price game lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
i can't believe xbox and playstation still charge you to use your own internet connection

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Mario Maker 2 is probably the most bang for your buck on the Switch, but yeah it's insane how you still have to pay a monthly fee just to let the console talk to your ISP

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Ehh I "get" it if it's basically a central hosting server like psn or switch online. I don't necessarily like it but you gotta upkeep the poo poo and you have no way of knowing how much traffic will be riding on it. Though I wouldn't pay for it myself because I understand things like "router forwarding" and "how to look up your own ip address."

Not really sure how Valve manages to offer it for free but they do.

but lol that nintendo charges for animal crossing because that game literally uses old school peer-to-peer netplay

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Fur20 posted:

Ehh I "get" it if it's basically a central hosting server like psn or switch online. I don't necessarily like it but you gotta upkeep the poo poo and you have no way of knowing how much traffic will be riding on it. Though I wouldn't pay for it myself because I understand things like "router forwarding" and "how to look up your own ip address."

but lol that nintendo charges for animal crossing because that game literally uses old school peer-to-peer netplay

i dunno but lemme tell you that i got this ancient console called a "PC" that has been doing free multiplayer forever

like Sony and microsoft aren't ripping you off like every huge loving tech company in the world lmao

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

My unpopular opinion: sometimes you gotta pay for stuff :shrug:

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Nintendo is pretty reasonable with the online fees compared to others. My guess is they make their money through system, game and dlc sales .

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

neato burrito posted:

paying for products and services is cool

paying for rent-seeking "we put an arbitrary block on the hardware to stop you from doing something you could otherwise do" sucks rear end
same as the loving heated seat subscription in bmws

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

paying for products and services is cool

paying for rent-seeking "we put an arbitrary block on the hardware to stop you from doing something you could otherwise do" sucks rear end
same as the loving heated seat subscription in bmws

Lol wut

itry
Aug 23, 2019

neato burrito posted:

Now we just need to agree on which stuff.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fur20 posted:

Valve offers it for free because free multiplayer servers draw you into the digital storefront, this is why free multiplayer servers have been ubiquitous on PC since the 1990s, even the Microsoft Internet Gaming Zone (which existed long before Steam) operated on this premise and was free except for very specific titles (MMOs).

Sony used to offer a free multiplayer tier, if you paid then you'd get free games but it wasn't mandatory for multiplayer. Did that change?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The Switch has more worthwhile exclusives than the PS5 and whatever stupid name the new Xbox has combined. Seriously there’s nothing worth getting on either that you can’t get on another console like the 4 or bone. Maaaaybe the Demons Souls remake but I hesitate to count it since it’s 1 for 1 just the game you can get on your PS3.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

OG Battle.net was interesting because I don't think that it had a store per se, but it did run banner ads that linked to a web store where you could buy games and merch. I distinctly remember seeing ads for Diablo 2 while hanging around looking for Brood War custom map settings games. I remember you could also buy Lost Vikings and the Warcraft 2 Battlechest

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fur20 posted:

They offer it for free because they’re printing infinite money from their cut of all sales through Steam.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

QuarkJets posted:

Valve offers it for free because free multiplayer servers draw you into the digital storefront, this is why free multiplayer servers have been ubiquitous on PC since the 1990s, even the Microsoft Internet Gaming Zone (which existed long before Steam) operated on this premise and was free except for very specific titles (MMOs).

Sony used to offer a free multiplayer tier, if you paid then you'd get free games but it wasn't mandatory for multiplayer. Did that change?

That was just on the ps3, maybe psp? Now the only online games you can do without a ps+ account are f2p stuff or something that has its own subscriptions (and thus servers) like ff14.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Harrow posted:

They offer it for free because they’re printing infinite money from their cut of all sales through Steam.

They offer it for free because it's not even their hardware in the first place. If I play FFXIV through steam I am playing on Square Enix's servers, not Valve's.

If I play FFXIV on ps4 I am still playing on Square Enix's servers, not Sony's... but Sony controls the device I'm using so I still have to pay them just to stop them from blocking my connection. They aren't creating any value in that interaction, they're just extracting money because they are in a unique position to do so and you can't go to anyone else. That's rent-seeking.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
There are plenty of game devs that would happily offer their own free servers, or at least let you set up your own hosting. Console online subscription services are a hilariously blatant scam when it comes to using them to access online play, though admittedly PSN often has some pretty good free/discount offerings that come along with it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

They offer it for free because it's not even their hardware in the first place. If I play FFXIV through steam I am playing on Square Enix's servers, not Valve's.

If I play FFXIV on ps4 I am still playing on Square Enix's servers, not Sony's... but Sony controls the device I'm using so I still have to pay them just to stop them from blocking my connection. They aren't creating any value in that interaction, they're just extracting money because they are in a unique position to do so and you can't go to anyone else. That's rent-seeking.

Valve do host some multiplayer games on their servers, though I think that's a relatively recent thing.

But also I had no idea you had to have PS+ to play FFXIV on Playstation, that's some serious bullshit.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Setting up your own hosting as a player is the way to do it, but traditional peer-to-peer is cumbersome for the end user and can result in a loss of sales if multiplayer is a selling point for your game :shepface: Which is the beauty of the Steam overlay, because (when it works, which hasn't been reliable since they updated the in game chat feature) as long as the dev has set it up correctly to receive the info from the overlay's interface, you can make your game autofill the info it needs to do p2p. Of course, if your end users need to forward ports, you could still be up poo poo creek anyway.

And therein is the benefit of paid services for consoles: they do punch-through on port forwarding. And you or me? We cut our teeth on figuring it out, we were motivated. This is :bahgawd: but seriously, people these days don't know how to port forward and they can't be bothered to learn something that takes all of sixty seconds to teach. The result is, developers lose more sales because end users are unwilling to become educated, and maybe you even take a bad review because babby cant open port 7777.

Setting up your own server as a small studio or an independent dev is a great way to hemmorage money out of every orifice. Photon and Unity literally charge individual developers who use their netplay solutions, billed per individual player hour; both solutions were originally designed to support peer-to-peer play and both deliberately stripped this option out to force you to pay them more money. That's the real scam, my friends

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
You don't have to port forward poo poo with UPNP enabled which is like 10 year old tech. Routers have that pre-enabled by default.

But the console tax is real. You get server hosting, but it's like 10x the price it should be without the option to host your own poo poo. You're paying for the most expensive games to host even if all you want to play is stardew valley with a friend.

That's capitalist communism for ya!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

galagazombie posted:

The Switch has more worthwhile exclusives than the PS5 and whatever stupid name the new Xbox has combined. Seriously there’s nothing worth getting on either that you can’t get on another console like the 4 or bone. Maaaaybe the Demons Souls remake but I hesitate to count it since it’s 1 for 1 just the game you can get on your PS3.

This is because the PS5 is backwards compatible with the PS4. But let's just be fair and say PS4/PS5 is generally the same thing. And now the PS systems have way more exclusives than the switch which has a crappy pay for backwards emulation service with a bunch of stuff I could run on my cell phone.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Nat hole punching is a valuable service but not an expensive one, it's literally like <10 packets per multiplayer game and that's it, and they're all super lightweight with no data except ports and ip addresses.

They spend 100x more bandwidth and server time downloading the ads to display on your homescreen than they'll possibly spend on hole punching.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Harrow posted:

Valve do host some multiplayer games on their servers, though I think that's a relatively recent thing.

But also I had no idea you had to have PS+ to play FFXIV on Playstation, that's some serious bullshit.

You don't.

Donno what rockstar's excuse is, though. Pretty sure you need ps+ for that, and they don't seem to have any trouble hosting servers for the pc versions and footing the bill there. Maybe it's a psn requirement to use their servers unless you have your own and do cross-server play or monetize your game beyond psn downloads or something. Who knows.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Harrow posted:

Agreed it should be easy for everyone to oplay FFXIV it's a fun game

I played a catboy

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

QuarkJets posted:

Paying a monthly fee for multiplayer access in TYOOL 2022 is loving bonkers, I can't believe people still have to pay for that poo poo. And a bunch of games have all of the F2P cruft on top of being a full price game lol

Turns out AAA games can't cost sixty bucks forever regardless of inflation.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

MassiveSky posted:

Turns out AAA games can't cost sixty bucks forever regardless of inflation.

True. They should come down in price.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

did you play a catboy?

I played a catboy

It was fun. I played a catboy

Final Fantasy XIV was pretty good I played a catboy

I liked FFXIV a lot

I played a catboy

It's good though. I played a catboy

FF14 was cool I played a catboy

It was fun I played a catboy

I liked 14

I played a catboy.

Agreed it should be easy for everyone to oplay FFXIV it's a fun game

I played a catboy

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

PC games are great because of all the cheaters, hacks and bots, its awesome. Port forwarding kicks rear end, i can't believe kids nowadays don't know how to forward their ports, i'm thinking about making a tiktok to teach them about port forwarding

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Maybe you're just bad at video games, you ever consider that?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I have no idea what port forwarding even means or does. I was always mad when I had to

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
William Henry Hairytaint played a catboy in Final Fantasy 14.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I think it's sickening that people who play MMORPGs are allowed to interact with the general populace. I say this as someone who has played many MMORPGs. They all suck. They are bad games and honestly you're bad person if you enjoy them.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Duck and Cover posted:

They all suck. They are bad games and honestly you're bad person if you enjoy them.

Sincerely,

A DOTA player

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

Waltzing Along posted:

The last great Zelda was Link Between Worlds. Before that it was Wind Waker. And now we've gone back 20 years.

The other 5 Zeldas during that time period are all either bad or disappointing.

maybe another year until the contiguous every gamer opinion equals this but, agreedo.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
It's been over five years since BoTW came out, that year is never going to come because the game owned.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Meme Poker Party posted:

Sincerely,

A DOTA player

Dota is a videogame I'm not sure I can say the same for MMORPGS. If you gave me Raid Shadow Legends, and FF14 I'm not sure which one I'd want to "play" more.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DOTA players on today's internet have the same status that furries had on the 1990s internet. They're the butt of every joke and probably don't deserve all of the mockery that is brought down on them by their own weirdly toxic actions, and in 30 years or so most people will be like "yeah they're weird but I guess I can tolerate them" and then Pixar will make a movie about a little girl who magically transforms into a DOTA player sometimes and all of her friends think it's super cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I will never tolerate dotaists