Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

NPR had a 'how to act when you return to the office' segment a few days ago and they were saying "don't be a downer", eg don't talk about covid or being sick. lmao

if you didnt return to the office more pissed off and dour than when you left it you have problems that you need to work out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

CIDRAP: Evolving peak SARS-CoV-2 loads relative to symptom onset may influence home-test timing

The New Normal: Delayed Peak SARS-CoV-2 Viral Loads Relative to Symptom Onset and Implications for COVID-19 Testing Programs

Figured this is useful information for people to know to calibrate their decision making process on testing:

“Median SARS-CoV-2 viral loads, as measured by polymerase chain reaction cycle threshold (Ct) and antigen concentrations, rose from symptom onset, peaking on the fourth or fifth day of symptoms. Estimated rapid antigen test sensitivity was 30.0% to 60.0% on the first day, 59.2% to 74.8% on the third, and 80.0% to 93.3% on the fourth.”

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Is that my doctor

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/NIH/status/1707416897371996233

the common cold also probably does this, or else our leaders would be concerned

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

DominoKitten posted:

CIDRAP: Evolving peak SARS-CoV-2 loads relative to symptom onset may influence home-test timing

The New Normal: Delayed Peak SARS-CoV-2 Viral Loads Relative to Symptom Onset and Implications for COVID-19 Testing Programs

Figured this is useful information for people to know to calibrate their decision making process on testing:

“Median SARS-CoV-2 viral loads, as measured by polymerase chain reaction cycle threshold (Ct) and antigen concentrations, rose from symptom onset, peaking on the fourth or fifth day of symptoms. Estimated rapid antigen test sensitivity was 30.0% to 60.0% on the first day, 59.2% to 74.8% on the third, and 80.0% to 93.3% on the fourth.”

sensitivity being barely better than a coinflip until at least the third day of symptoms is truly loving abysmal

edit: don't get me wrong, i'm really glad we have the antigen tests, and used properly with these diagnostic statistics in mind they'd be incredibly effective tools. But that's not how they're being used and we don't have access to them to use them properly unless we pay out the rear end out of pocket

SixteenShells has issued a correction as of 17:29 on Sep 29, 2023

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

SixteenShells posted:

sensitivity being barely better than a coinflip until at least the third day of symptoms is truly loving abysmal

Add on to the stupid gatekeeping of Paxlovid and people's relentless honesty just mean folks aren't going to be getting their treatment in time

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

NeonPunk posted:

Add on to the stupid gatekeeping of Paxlovid and people's relentless honesty just mean folks aren't going to be getting their treatment in time

yeah it's very :ironicat: that the accuracy of RATs only reaches a reasonable level right around the time people are no longer eligible for pax according to the largely arbitrary criteria assigned lmao

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

also incredible given that the messaging has been "well if you're worried just test and if you test negative you don't have covid and it's perfectly safe to go visit your grandmother in the cancer ward of the old folks home and give her a big kiss and then stop at applebees for dinner, also you get like two free tests ever so make sure you use them as sparingly as possible! wouldn't want to waste them testing repeatedly across multiple days!"

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Kid woke up with a sore throat and big old lymph nodes. Hopefully it's just strep!

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

my axillary lymph nodes are still swollen 3 days after the vaccine. i always get it in my left deltoid, but the right lymph node felt left out and enlarged a little out of sympathy.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Strep Vote posted:

Kid woke up with a sore throat and big old lymph nodes. Hopefully it's just strep!

PANDAS is short for Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal Infections. A child may be diagnosed with PANDAS when:

Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), tic disorder, or both suddenly appear following a streptococcal (strep) infection, such as strep throat or scarlet fever.
The symptoms of OCD or tic symptoms suddenly become worse following a strep infection.
The symptoms are usually dramatic, happen “overnight and out of the blue,” and can include motor or vocal tics or both and obsessions, compulsions, or both. In addition to these symptoms, children may become moody or irritable, experience anxiety attacks, or show concerns about separating from parents or loved ones.

What causes PANDAS?

Strep bacteria are very ancient organisms that survive in the human host by hiding from the immune system as long as possible. They hide themselves by putting molecules on their cell wall so that they look nearly identical to molecules found on the child’s heart, joints, skin, and brain tissues. This hiding is called “molecular mimicry” and allows the strep bacteria to evade detection for a long time.

However, the molecules on the strep bacteria are eventually recognized as foreign to the body and the child’s immune system reacts to the molecules by producing antibodies. Because of the molecular mimicry by the bacteria, the immune system reacts not only to the strep molecules but also to the human host molecules that were mimicked; antibodies “attack” the mimicked molecules in the child’s own tissues. These antibodies that react to both the molecules on the strep bacteria and to similar molecules found on other parts of the body are an example of “cross-reactive” antibodies.
Studies at the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) and elsewhere have shown that some cross-reactive antibodies target the brain—causing OCD, tics, and the other neuropsychiatric symptoms of PANDAS.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

coworker today legitimately blamed his dry cough on "all this beef stew I've been eating".

OK MAN

aw poo poo I made a beef stew last weekend. anyone know the incubation period for stew cough?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

hailthefish posted:

yeah it's very :ironicat: that the accuracy of RATs only reaches a reasonable level right around the time people are no longer eligible for pax according to the largely arbitrary criteria assigned lmao

it's almost like there's been years of selective evolution pressure with specific thresholds

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

an owls casket posted:

aw poo poo I made a beef stew last weekend. anyone know the incubation period for stew cough?

usually it stews for about two and a half hours

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.

an owls casket posted:

this is the best kind of constructed reality, the one where you just make up whatever reason to explain ever increasing pain and sickness

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Ah yes, this must be the variant soup I've been hearing about

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
something something alex jones chili something something did you hear covid causes memory loss something something

i forget how it goes

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Chili only makes you forget the names of your children, this is Food Science

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pingui posted:

Leana Wen smartly suggesting isolation guidelines should be made into a decision tree to alleviate confusion :shepface:

Taking it from 2 categories of your own disease course, to a subjective evaluation of the people you will be interacting with's relative risk, is sure to make things less confusing.

Archived link: https://archive.li/MfYHl

Newly chronically ill leopard face eater suddenly concerned about leopards eating certain faces

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

woke up and puked again. hope it’s just the new juice

Baddog
May 12, 2001

RandolphCarter posted:

uhhhhhh

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

wow an article from three years ago, weird that someone would.................................................. oh :eng99:

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

RandolphCarter posted:

Sounds like fluffy bunnies' reactions. My third moderna gave me such bad gas I nearly ruptured something before propitious expellation. Pfizer triggered 9 months of reactive arthritis on the injection side. So I gotta hold out for novavax or nothing at this point. What's that? It's not approved? Guess I'll die.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Can't stop thinking about this.

all of the high risk people forced to live like hermits or die: not societal disruption apparently

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

just opened up my aptitude metrix box.

jesus, this seems lux.

hope my insurance will pay for it like they have been with luciras. if not, i guess $30/test is cheaper than PCRs and the results are available way faster, but it'll very much have to be a high stakes situation sort of thing.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Tried out the metrix reader today! worked pretty seamlessly.

My sister in law came over, had her spit in the sample tube. removed the reagent cover, snapped it in, plugged in the reader and it took the full 30 minutes to come out negative. we chatted with masks on until it popped green. Slid the little reagent sample thing out, tossed it. put the reader away. easy peasy. highly recommend a++

Its a very easy to understand and consumer friendly design.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Sorry, you're on your own

euphronius posted:

wens solution seems to be you are on your own, good luck

lmao as if we ever get as much as the bolded parts

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Insanite posted:

just opened up my aptitude metrix box.

jesus, this seems lux.

hope my insurance will pay for it like they have been with luciras. if not, i guess $30/test is cheaper than PCRs and the results are available way faster, but it'll very much have to be a high stakes situation sort of thing.

I'll record the next Cue test I run. It's like a PCR test designed by Steve Jobs. I feel bougie every time I take one.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Parity warning posted:

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Strep Vote posted:

Sounds like fluffy bunnies' reactions. My third moderna gave me such bad gas I nearly ruptured something before propitious expellation. Pfizer triggered 9 months of reactive arthritis on the injection side. So I gotta hold out for novavax or nothing at this point. What's that? It's not approved? Guess I'll die.

Another win for “it’s like the flu” - there is no communication on potential side effects, even though they definitely seem more intense.

I have a little bit of muscle soreness across my body at +2 days but sounds like I got off pretty easy. I did look for what Pfizer reported for reactogenicity and didn’t look like they measured that? Moderna did thou and said it’s “the same or lower” than their bivalent so :shrug: I just have to tell myself it’s better than getting COVID and if I end up with an ultra rare side effect then it was more likely to happen when I probably get Rona’d in like 2 months.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Finally got a Pfizer just now! :woop:

I now can see why there isn't enough doses going out at all. They stopped using vials and they're all coming in pre-filled single use syringes. Kinda a bit fancier now, I assumed that we were still doing the vials

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

NeonPunk posted:

I now can see why there isn't enough doses going out at all. They stopped using vials and they're all coming in pre-filled single use syringes. Kinda a bit fancier now, I assumed that we were still doing the vials

i feel like swapping to a single-use-device would allow you to charge more money per dose, which is necessary to counteract revenue loss due to declining vaccine and booster uptake

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Zugzwang posted:

"integer overflow" is not an encouraging answer to the question of how much SARS-CoV-2 RNA is in my local wastewater

covid is over, but also endemic, so it's not surprising there is a divide by zero in there somewhere

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

NeonPunk posted:

As far as I recall, those are limited edition. Most doses are still in vials.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Insanite posted:

Ok, this sounds bad.

quote:

In the study, researchers focused on older people with fatty buildup, known as atherosclerotic plaque, who died from COVID-19. However, because the researchers found the virus infects and replicates in the arteries no matter the levels of plaque, the findings could have broader implications for anybody who gets COVID-19.

But are we absolutely certain it isn't lockdowns infecting and replicating in the arteries??

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Parity warning posted:

Yeah it's more like, "You're on your own. You're welcome!"

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Pingui posted:

As far as I recall, those are limited edition. Most doses are still in vials.

*Collector's Edtion

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Insanite posted:

It takes too much time to go through all of these covid stat bonuses. How about to simplify things, we just keep a list of things COVID can't do, and just assume everything else is happening.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

....invest in VBI Vaccines...?

seriously, if they're not straight up lying about Phase 1 then they did it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

mdemone posted:

....invest in VBI Vaccines...?

seriously, if they're not straight up lying about Phase 1 then they did it

I made multiple stock purchases during the pandemic expecting things like logic and reason to make me money. They did not.