Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Here is where my 1991 CR500R stands now.

I have a lot planned for it, my YZ250F and the RD200 this winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Phat_Albert posted:

Holy poo poo, CR500's are loving wild animals. Have fun with that thing, even if you weighed 900lbs, that bike would still peel your face off. Be careful!

I am only 155 lbs.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Was cleaning up the shop a little bit today, and I wanted to sweep the floor, so I opted for a family photo.

5 cylinders, and not even 1000cc.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
There is NO better smell than VP C16 and Maxima 927 Castor oil coming from a smoker!

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

TheFonz posted:

You lie. I see an rd/r5 there and that has 2 cylinders. So unless one of those bikes is a 0 cylinder, then :colbert:

edit:must be a '73 rd250 or the earlier r5/ds7 since that is a drum front. BITCHES BE FRONTIN

One bike has no cylinders in it at the moment :downs:

I see no RD250, or R5/DS7 in that picture. Mine is better - it has electric start!

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

mutt2jeff posted:

Note, do not fall while riding and catch a branch with your face.

Impalement, NSFW!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ImuTpUYa-4

drat! A few inches lower and it could have been much worse.

Content:

Where my RD200 stands.
What do you think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGdiN0jab8c

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Bent footpegs make using the rear brake a little touchy. I didn't think it had the power with drum brakes to lock up the rear brake. I had the clutch completely in when slowing down.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

http://vimeo.com/20759609

Dirt is so much more badass.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Uh oh... something seems strange here

Sleeve, meet aluminum

That's gonna cost ya

Can anyone else guess what got nuked at the same time?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Zool posted:

Is it, every roller bearing in the bottom end?

Bottom end was minty, save for the oil pump. 'Guy bought the bike and the PO apparently did an oil change but forgot to tighten the block drain plug... Nuked the rockers, cam, head (aluminum journal bearings) piston, top rod journal, oil pump and timing chain guide.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

needknees posted:

CR500s are the best :buddy:

:hfive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22F4LDfM380

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
I think I may need my own project tracking thread soon...

Bikes keep following me home, and parts for said bikes keep piling up on my floor.
While I was waiting for parts to gather, I picked up this gem of a YSR50.

The engine sitting in front is from a 77 YZ80.
I have already ordered all the engine parts, shock bushings, rear shoes, replacement graphics (So tempted to do a mini R1 body and paint) new clipons and doing a 12V conversion.

Pile that in with my RD200 restomod, the girlie friend's Yamaha G7S, a KX100 to rebuild and sell and a TDR250 coming to the stable soon and I have more than enough to fill a thread. Good idea?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

NitroSpazzz posted:

Hillclimbs...always a good show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PvJBC42DuY

Never seen so many 550 2T KTMs in one place.

Why did the quad early on give up way before the rock face?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Awwwww yiss. Get to assemble and ride this tomorrow.
/poo poo cellphone pic:

Hondas have a slight olive oil smell from the crate. KTMs smell of Ikea; must be the similar build quality.

DefaultPeanut fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 22, 2013

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
You yanks get red, and us northerners get white - snow white. Get it? Good one, Honda. Black for both. Honest to god, this is a hell of a bike. For the 4 km I was able to put on it, with slippery tires, it was an absolute blast. Th engine is quieter than a sewing machine, but does lack anywhere close to the amount of power that a 1100 should make. It has a sight glass wiper for when it gets cloudy. I'm sure I'll get to hoon around on it more in the future, but for now it has to go to it's owner. Poor sap, payed out the rear end for it. - $13299 msrp + PDI and tax.

In other news; I'll be the poor owner of an RG500 next week.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Bought a thing today. Expect a thread soon.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Nerobro posted:

I am jealous on levels that are hard to describe. You've gone and bought a pile of awesome. Welcome to tuning hell. :-)

Pile of something. It has been sitting since 2002, but the fuel still smells king of like fuel and the tank is rust free. It has kickin' compression though! Tuning hell? Nah! I would take this over a rack on a KZ or CB of the same era. I'll make some videos of going through the thing so you can vicariously live through me to a time from before I was born!

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
I did some digging and found a manual for my old lovely bike.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Rime posted:

Rattled an exhaust bolt loose after about 200km. Thank Honda for making everything 10mm universal, stole one from underneath my seat that didn't appear to be used for anything and continued on my merry way.

Nice L - gotta love the GLP for that. What road / trail was that, if anywhere near Abby / Wack, let's go ride!

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
"It made a funny noise and stopped"

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
I rode a thing today. This thing:

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Unremarkable, apparently :rimshot:

For the area I was able to ride in, pretty much that. I could only ride it somewhat civil like on city streets instead of trying my hand at wearhouse parkour. Being a taller person, 6'1, the seat was the most notable low point. I had to sit behind the passenger strap to avoid having to hold myself from sliding to the tank and crush my nuts. Although, it does help the front wheel pop up in 2nd. The suspension is pretty terrible out of the box - the riding I did took me over some bumpy paved bits and you feel every one through your spine. The same bit of road feels a good bit better even on my YSR with 30wt fork oil. The clutch feels great and can be fed in slowly just as easily as being able to clutch up the front end. The 'power'plant is pretty lacking. 1st is good for almost nothing, 2nd and 3rd are very close together and 4th will (slowly) take you to around 80kph. That being said, the exhaust and intake are very small for being a 125. The CRF125, currently being made in China, has a larger exhaust head pipe and intake ID than the Grom.

That being said, once the aftermarket cranks up for these, I can see them turning into stellar little bikes with much better performance for power and suspension. In stock form, it would be a great bike for a larger downtown area with speeds under 80kph.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
How do you kill an RC8?

Ah-ha! Trick question - it will do so out of it's own volition.

This drivesdrove the oil pump. All the bits fell out the the way while the engine kept on running.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Slavvy posted:

This is the first bit of tarnish on my golden dream of owning an RC8. Please tell me this isn't common :ohdear:

The LC8 engines seem to be a bit more robust that your average KTM engine. Although, my bike carnage folder does have a higher number of KTMs in it than others. I forgot to take a picture of the metal shavings that came from the fuel pump in a brand new, out of the crate 450ECX-F when installing an oversized tank.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Linedance posted:

My friend just bought a RC8-R. I shared this picture with him.

Pity that KTM stopped including bottle openers in the tool kits.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

When did this happen? I bought a new one in 2012 and it had the bottle opener.

Maybe it's just up here in canuck land :canada:. All the '13s and '14s I have seen are sans bottle opener.
Ikea KTM must this we only drink from cans or twist offs.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Honda Collection Hall. Cool poo poo.
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.527145,140.226565&cbll=36.527145,140.226565&layer=c&cbp=1,121.45,,0,0&hl=en

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

nsaP posted:

Also lights, wheels, suspension, sprockets, and ffs a 6 speed as someone else said.

edit: Front brakes...

Yamaha has you covered

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Could always ship one down there, no? :canada:

Mine sitting dead waiting for a trailer ride home. The left emulsion tube split in half 40km into a ride.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Not to upset the lifestyle selection guide discussion, but the CTX is a loving awesome bike.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

EX250 Type R posted:

500 2t dirt bike motor into my parts ex250

VMax-4 800 into an R6. That would be a bit bonkers.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
F-13

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Two stroke masochist checking in here. You ride work on them because you want to ride them. More time spent laid up in the shed than wringing the necks out of it on the street or track. With the exception of my RD200, all of street going 2t's are oil injected with an oil light to remind you its time to not seize your engine. Mopeds and scooters don't suffer from this as much from this, but any clothing or gear will smell like oil, and be dotted with whatever is belched out the exhaust. There are fewer reasons why you would want to ride a 2t on the street than there are not. But man, those few reasons are drat fine ones.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Minkee posted:

This Yamaha RD350 was turned into a sign holder in Austin, TX. This just made me sad as I sat next to it.

It looks to be an R5 - older and bit rarer.
Maybe my RD350 will cheer you up

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

n8r posted:

Your bike has stock shocks and stock pipes, what's the matter dude you poor or something?

:effort: Getting the engine cleaned up was the next thing to do, and then would have come goodies. Not going to happen now though, a guy dropped buy and bought it as you see it.

Been spending coin on this recently. What a bitch to jet.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Click for big

I'd really like to get a small microphone to mount somewhere close to the intakes while riding.
You should probably turn up your volume
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7NKUs5oLeE

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
I made a friend today

Want that belly pan and solo cowl

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Broken stuff on a KLX300

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Basement suite = no garage. The ladyfriend even helped to unload it and get it down some steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Taking that down to the crank