Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I think the Rhodes is the ultimate "I play for free and get paid to haul gear" piece out there. I used to play in a band with a guy who had a 73 with the matching powered speaker cab, and gently caress that thing.

I'd still love to have one to stick in my basement, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Noise Machine posted:

Girlfriend saw we were doing errands right by a Guitar Center. She suggest I go in and try a few acoustic guitars since I've never had a real one. (I had an ovation for about 2-3 years, it wasn't a real acoustic...) about an hour later I walk out of the store with this:

I love my LXM so much. Cheap, loud, decent low end, and since it's basically all plastic you don't need to worry about banging it around at the beach or whatever.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Radiapathy posted:

Just arrived today: Four interfaces and a passive DI.

You'll need the DI if you plan on plugging a guitar into the 2i2. The instrument setting on it is totally hosed.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It works OK for me ... with the gain turned right down. I've certainly read that for guitars with active pups it's basically impossible to plug in directly without attenuation, so yes.

My Ibanez has pretty hot passive Dimarzios, and my basses are all active. All of them destroy the input in Instrument with it all the way down, and sound like poo poo in Line. I'm sending it back. (But getting a 6i6 to replace it.)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

RetardedRobots posted:

Six is probably the ideal number of basses. Seven is really heading into a disturbing place.

poo poo. The junky ABG I leave at a bandmate's house for rehearsals doesn't count, does it?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

First and last of 2014:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Hammer Floyd posted:

What is it? That looks shiny and pretty...

Baer Valkyrie. It's a little different take on a bass amp - a very flat, studio style preamp & EQ mated to a gigantic Class AB power amp with a tiny little 12AX7 tube power amp (output transformer and everything) in between the two. With the tube section out it's like listening to your bass plugged into a top dollar studio board, but with it in you can go from "great tube DI box" to "V4B with volume dimed." Best bass amp I've ever played by a pretty large margin.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

Just got off the phone with Roger Baer. A ML112 should be arriving next week.

They're the best. They're the goddamn best.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

signalnoise posted:

I went over to my dad's house for guitar talk the other week and when I was showing off a new bag of mine, he commented that the shoulder strap would make a really good guitar strap. It's this one: http://www.tombihn.com/accessories/TB0505.html

Curved, fabric-backed neoprene designed for the weight of luggage. I managed to make this:

It works very very well, he was totally right.

Nice, looks very similar to the Comfort Strapp which is all I use nowadays.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

I have my grievances with Gibson and Fender, but I'd never turn to China.

Well, that's why Squier exists.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

OhDearGodNo posted:

I have the v7v8 but they've always seemed a little quiet to me. Then again they might need a little adjusting.

I have a pair of these which I pulled out of my RGA121 that anyone can have for cost of shipping, FWIW. PM me. I thought they were okay for stock OEM pickups, but obviously the Crunch Lab / Liquifire I replaced them with are a substantial upgrade.

Sockington posted:

Sometimes it's worth less than the sum of it's parts. A simple used VM or CV Squier would be a way better platform, fwiw. Probably snag one for $200 and have WAY less to do.

I went through three or four SX basses before trying a Squier ("I'm just getting a cheap beater, what difference does it make?") and the difference in quality is RIDICULOUS. It needed pickups and the tuners are pretty heavy, but otherwise it feels significantly closer to an MIM or MIJ Fender than an SX. The body routes look like they were done using a router and not a chisel. There's conductive paint, copper tape and nice clean wiring everywhere. The stock P pickup even had cloth wire! The bridge is a substantial, solid piece. The pots are good, the neck pocket is tight, and all the screws were screwed in at a right angle to the body instead of put in by hand by a drunk person. The thing tuned up and played nice right out of the box. Just a massive improvement.

iostream.h posted:

AxeFx is the new Bitcoin for the TGP set.

Every single guitar player I know that's purchased one - and we're talking real, gigging, in demand guys in a big city, not BluesDad's or forum dwellers - has sold off all their other gear shortly afterwards. It's a total game changer for some people.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Southern Heel posted:

I swear, if I had to pick a guitar spec out of thing air I would choose:

Yeah, that hardtail, dual HB superstrat thing is MY JAM. I have an RGA121 with Liquifire/Crunch Labs in it and I'll never part with it. It's my favorite guitar of all time.

Sockington posted:

Traded off a free-to-me Bullet Strat for an interface.

:dance:

Now sell it and buy a 6i6. The gain staging for instruments is all hosed up on the 2i2.

umalt posted:

Counterpoint, Sonic Blue Charvel San Dimas.

If I could get that or something similar with a hardtail bridge then I'd have a new favorite guitar.

My guitar player has one of these in white that's been attacked by a blowtorch with one Super Distortion and a Floyd. It rules.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Sockington posted:

But what about just mic'ing a guitar cabinet (all I indented to do)?

That should be okay, actually. The 1/4" inputs clip, even when down all the way, when you plug any instrument into them directly. Switch to line level and it's too quiet, thin, yet still clips somehow. It's really bad.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I really dig how my RGA121's switch is wired. Neck full, neck parallel, both full, inside coils, bridge full. It'd be nice to have soloed single coil tones, though.

I don't know why, as I really don't need it, but I'm starting to think about getting one of the RG's with a pickguard, maybe with a maple board, and converting to three single-coils.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

muike posted:

I feel kinda iffy on buying import guitars new other than from South Korean places since their collective bargaining thing

Same here (and I consider SK and Japan to be a substantially higher tier vs. China, Indonesia, Vietnam, etc,) although I have an easier time rationalizing purchasing cheaper stuff from China. The conditions for the worker on the $250 guitar and $1000 guitar are probably identical, but I can sympathize more with a company moving a product overseas and cutting costs substantially vs. moving it overseas, keeping the price the same and pocketing the difference.

At least any guitar no matter where it was made or what it is can ostensibly be used to create art. Why the gently caress do people pay $500 for the exact same mass market, commodity Made In China Coach handbag everyone else has?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Smash it Smash hit posted:

same, finally content with my gear and no more "itches".

It feels good, doesn't it? I went all of 2014 only buying some pickups for my p-bass and a 12-Step midi controller.

I don't know if 2015 is going to be the same. I still don't really need anything, but Baer is coming out with a sick looking tube DI box and I probably should buy it.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I have a strict "No Twins" policy in every band that I'm in.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

gently caress that's a good deal.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I purchased that book a long time ago on good recs from people and I just...I don't know how to practice it. It seems really aligned towards piano players and I'm just not sure how to wrap my head around it in a way that translates into notes coming out of my bass.

(I was a jazz perf major in school so it's not like I'm a total trainwreck either.)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm a little :swoon: for Ibanez hardtails not gonna lie! I would riff the heck out on that.

Cute snake btw

I still wouldn't trade my old RGA121 for anything else out there. Ibanez hardtails are the poo poo.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Dirt posted:

I think I love Ibanez guitars now.

welcome to the cool kid club

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Got a cool new Ibanez Talman!

I guess you can only get this color combo at Guitar Center, otherwise it's just Red and Seafoam Green. Sounds like a Tele, plays like a cross between an Ibanez and a Fender. It's small and very light. Needed some fret end attention like all factory instruments do, and I'll be getting a set of Nordstrand NVT A3 pickups put in ASAP, but it's so nice. Makes me play substantially differently than my RGA121 which was the point.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

What's bad about short scale? I've got small hands and not-great wingspan, so I generally figure a SS would be better.

(I also feel like a dork asking all these questions when I may just go and blow my music stuff budget on some drums or more guitar effects.)

Scale length has a pretty drastic effect on tone. It's not better or worse, but it's pretty different.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Hi Talman TFB buddy! Since I got mine and put JBE Danny Gattons in it, it's the only guitar I've been playing. It's addictive!

I just got some goodies for mine in the mail today!

I basically bought this guitar specifically to have something to put this set of pickups in. They're glorious.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

If you buy a Peavey, but you didn't buy it out of the back of a VW van in a parking lot, do you truly own it?

After trying as hard as I could to find a combo amp that does everything the 6505+ 112 does without actually being the 6505+ 112 I gave in to my destiny.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Warcabbit posted:

Wait. How cheap? Cause if it's even close to $300, then the answer is Squier Classic Vibe.

Or Talman. The Talman is so good.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

This is fun.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Ibanez guitars Best guitars.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I wonder if the Helix will ever get integrated wireless like the new Spider V's did. Maybe when they eventually come out with a Helix amp?

My buddy has an AxeFX II with MFC and an AX8, but just going Helix would be just as powerful as the AxeFX and more portable than the AX8 (as you need external expression pedals.)

I'm actually going to get a new Spider V setup (with FBV3 and G10 wireless) to replace my 6505+ and pedalboard. Post-Yamaha Line6 is doing a lot of really nice stuff.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

massive spider posted:

Just went and bankrupted myself

hell fuckin yeah

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Stop buying Gibsons.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The extra $100 for a set of top-shelf pickups makes more of a difference than paying $100 to improve literally any other part of a guitar.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Literally Elvis posted:

Today I got my dream rig

I don't know what to do with myself now (other than sell the Mark V 25 above it)

My long-time guitarist friend & collaborator had this rig back in the day, with two 4x12's plus a twin reverb for cleans. It was loving stupid, but sounded rad.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I love the Hipshot locking tuners, personally. I have a set on my RG and the combination of the staggered post height + angled headstock makes for a really sleek setup. I love Hipshot hardware overall, though.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Yeah, gently caress Gibson forever.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The Science Goy posted:

In terms of replacing bass pickups, you really can't go wrong with Nordstrand. Both of my other basses are loaded with Nords (Big Splits and a MM) and they're great.

Agreed. Everything I own has them at this point.

The Science Goy posted:

It's called a single cut, instead of a more traditional double cut where the upper bout has more material removed by the fretboard. The neck joins with the body in the same manner as a double cut bass - there's just no gap between the neck and the upper bout. The trussrod is the same as any other bass.

It balances and plays just like any other bass - maybe even better balanced, since the strap on the upper bout is located close to the neck, there is absolutely no neck dive. It's super comfortable to play standing, or sitting on the thigh.

The single-cut thing first started on neck-through basses, and continuing to glue the body wing up the neck helps to keep it flat and stable.

On a bolt-on single cut, unless there's a screw going into the side of the neck from the upper bout it's mostly for looks and ergonomics, but there should also be a little change in how the strings and body interact due to the extra material in the neck pocket. The majority of singlecuts aim around the 12th fret for the connection point and can get the strap pin a little closer to the neck than a doublecut bass, which definitely helps balance.

(My next build is going to be a singlecut 6. Ash neck, walnut body w/ alder tone block, sinker redwood top, richlite fingerboard, Nordstrand dual blades.)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Antigua loving rules

I don't want or need an "actual" jazz bass, but when I get one anyways it's gonna be Antigua

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Bazanga posted:

Decided it was time to upgrade. Everything.

Mesa Mark Five 35
Mesa 2x12 Recto Cab
Ibanez Prestige RG652LWF in Anvil Gray

Closeup of the guitar:

Upgraded from an Indonesian Jackson and a Fender Mustang III. Yeps. It loving rips.

HELL FUCKIN YEAH

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

gently caress yes that's awesome, offset tele owners need a gang tag!

I sat here for two hours last night just noodling on mine, so comfy

I love my Talman, too! I put Nordstrand NVT A3 pickups in it and it's great. My only regret is that they came out with a non-Prestige three-pickup Nashville model like two months after I bought it.

I may just get a Prestige one down the road and move the pickups over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

THEY'RE SO GOOD