Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
Might add some of my latest finds which I am in love with. Some old, some new.

Joy Wants Eternity - You Who Pretend To Sleep

Beautiful melodic postrock. Soft instrumentals, blistering crescendos and an awesome sense of dynamics. They prove that you dont need 20 minute songs to make outstanding post rock.

Try:You are the Vertical, You are the Horizon

Johnnytwentythree - JXXIII

Explosions and Yndi Halda combined with a bit of Godspeed. Epic, in every sense of the word. Proves that you can make outstanding postrock with 20 minute tracks :)

Probably my favourite album this year

Try: Ghost Soldiers

Tunturia - Maps

Tunturia manages to take a wide variety of post rock styles and meld them into something beautiful. Epic and crashing, yet quiet and introspective - much like JWE, they manage to compress everything into relatively short songs, yet still sound spacious.

Try: Cast Shadows on Clouds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

leonje posted:

Yndi Halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss

I don't know how to describe it but the EP has 4 tracks, is over an hour long and blows my mind from start to finish.

Hells yes. Post rock is ALL about Yndi Halda now that Explosions have gone away, Godspeed are MIA and Mogwai is (awesomely) Autorock.

Enjoy Eternal Bliss is everything you could want in a PR album. Best thing since sliced bread/The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place/etc.

Just get the 3 track version ;)

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

A few things I have recently discovered and think you should all listen to after you finish bitching about the new TWDY cover (which, for the record, loving rules):

Angel Eyes - ...and for A Roof A Sky Full of Stars EP
Two songs, 27 minutes of heavy epic awesomness with about 4 lines of growled vocals that perfectly complement the music.

Plus the most kickass cover seen in a while.

listen to: One

Johnnytwentythree - JXXIII
Epic is the word you are looking for. Take some later day EITS, throw in some Mogwai dynamics and some long (7, 12, 15, 20 minute) songs which flow beautifully. Very highly recommended.

listen to: Fall Of Swords

SlowlyChoking posted:

1 Mile North

hells yes. I got 1 Mile North from eMusic (oh, how I miss you eMusic) and was blown away. Black Lines is one of my favourite sample-driven postrock songs ever.

Also, I am seeing EITS next Friday night in Sydney. gently caress I cant wait. My first post rock show!

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

This is awesome :)

I'm listening to it now and I love it. I think I'm digging Two more than One, though.

yeah, (two) rocks. Especially the part around 4:30.

Makes me realise that there is a place for vocals in postrock. Or at least some agression, we cant listen to Elvium all the time :)

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

Spekkio posted:

Just saw Explosions in the Sky tonight. Has to be one of the greatest experiences of my life.

This is in Australia, so having the chance to see those guys is kind of a big deal.

I saw them in Sydney on Friday night. Awesome show. I'd listened to a bunch of their live stuff (archive.org, why are you so awesome) but the live experience was in a whole other world.

Now, if only Mono would come play.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

joelcamefalling posted:

A few things I have recently discovered and think you should all listen to after you finish bitching about the new TWDY cover (which, for the record, loving rules):

Angel Eyes - ...and for A Roof A Sky Full of Stars EP
Two songs, 27 minutes of heavy epic awesomness with about 4 lines of growled vocals that perfectly complement the music.

Plus the most kickass cover seen in a while.

listen to: One

Rise from the dead, postrock thread!

Angel Eyes, the best heavy postrock band in the drat world, have a new split out. They do one 18 minute song, and it is loving amazing.

I have had this track on repeat for about 2 weeks. Havent even listened to the other band, which is some kind of harddcore i think. If you liked their EP (which you should have), or anything heavy and kickass, it is definitely what you want.

Track it down or else.

http://www.concubinerecords.com/

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 13, 2009

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

xdirtypinkox posted:

From Fathoms is one of the most monumental albums of all time.

how the hell have i had their album sitting here all this time and never listened to it? wow.

highly recommended.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

The new Up-C Down-C etc album 'Firewolf' is out.

Silent Ballet doesnt like it too much, but I have found that their reviews have seriously missed the mark a few times lately, so that doesnt bother me too much. They have some audio up on their myspaz and webpage.

It is a departure, no two ways about it. But i am digging the sound so far.

(also, I read today that Blueneck have a new album out early next year. If you havent listened to Scars of the Midwest.... you should)

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 25, 2009

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

Mono is playing Sydney on the 5th of December.

I am going to see Mono on the 5th of December.

MONO.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

HEY MAN TV ON PC posted:

Recently I've gotten interested in hearing more post-rock after a friend introduced me to Paatos. Any beginner recommendations?

I always take these questions as an opportunity to push Yndi Halda, Mono,Johnnytwentythree and Angel Eyes

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Name a better, more cohesive post-rock album that's come out this year, besides Hymn To The Immortal Wind by Mono because that's a given.

There isnt one, although Blueneck came close

Anyways, Mono live was one of the most incredible shows I have ever seen. They are loud.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I saw Mono, they were amazing, and anyone who doesnt like them is a dirty hippie communist pedophile.

Also, I took my girlfriend because all my friends like Ke$ha. Did the same with EITS on Valentines Day (!). And she loved it. And I didnt look like a loner. So, easy solution for you goons that have girlfriends.

Both of you.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

Lawnie posted:

Anyone know where I can find the Mogwai/gently caress Buttons split where Mogwai covers "Colours Move" and the gently caress Buttons cover "Mogwai Fear Satan?" Because those are 2 awesome songs and I'd love to find that. I'd be willing to pay quite a bit for the vinyl, and an mp3 copy would be equally awesome.

You dont have PMs - email addy?

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

*note* I could be really late to the party. I dont know.

If you are looking for something at the heavier end of the spectrum, with some occasional screamed vocals (a la Angel Eyes or Kehlvin), you may or may not like Shels. Or *shels. Or whatever the hell they call themselves lately. Gotta warn you of occasional sung vocals, which work well with it. But its the straight instrumental tracks that are the real winners.

Kind of like a postrock Poison The Well, I guess.

Anyways, http://www.myspace.com/shels should give you a pretty good idea of their sound. The Conference of the Birds, Indian 2 Sea of the Dying Down, wingsfortheirsmiles 1/2 , Water are all pretty kickass, in my opinion.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 7, 2010

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

New Angel Eyes is out.

New Angel Eyes is good.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

Rhgr posted:

Waiting on that and the new Gifts From Enola (which I haven't heard yet either) to arrive from The Mylene Sheath, never has a package been more anticapated :ohdear:

I couldnt wait (shipping to Australia takes around 843 years), so to tide me over til it arrives, I got the mp3s from Amazon.

<-- postrock junkie

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

Sir Xiphos posted:

Whoever rec'd The Ascent Of Everest - How Lonely Sits The City, deserves a medal.

They should get an award based solely on A Threnody for sampling one of my favourite speeches ever.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

Bagpuss posted:

[edit: ^^^ wow that's some good stuff!]

+1

Great find.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

sisonpyh posted:

Up-C Down-C Left-C Right-C ABC + Start (McDoomish

UpC are criminally underrated. ...And the battle is won is a brilliant album that has never really left my rotation. You cant listen to 'Shallows' and *not* rock out.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

thehustler posted:

New UpCDownC was awful.

Firewolf? Yeah.

They just finished mastering the new one though, so hopefully its a step back towards Embers.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

ICA posted:

...three bands.

World's End Girlfriend, who I dont like (and is a very weird guy), but his collab with Mono was brilliant.

Also, Envy are awesome.

That's all I got.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

Dear post-rock thread,

http://www.industriesoftheblindmusic.com/

(or stream it from their FB page, http://www.facebook.com/industriesoftheblind?sk=app_2405167945 )

That is all.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jan 11, 2012

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

Like Godspeed?
Like dark, raspy-voiced spoken word poetry over gorgeous instrumentals?

You now like Heinali and Matt Finney.

http://heinaliandmattfinney.bandcamp.com/album/town-line

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

ulvir posted:

Is there a decent website out there where I can stay up to date on new releases and so forth? Till now this thread has pretty much been my only source.

I like The Silent Ballet, even if around 20% of their reviews are retarded and they can't make a decent RSS feed. And their new website is weird.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

slowdave posted:

Yndi Halda or Explosions in the Sky probably.

That's silly. You're silly.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I have a question for all you Post Rock people, what is the worst post rock song/album/band you've heard? Post rock has an insanely high good:bad ratio, so I'm wondering what you lot think bad post rock sounds like.

I think it's more a case that 'bad' = 'boring', and so if its just dull then you don't remember it. Hence, you get a skewed perception of the good:bad ratio :)

Anyhoo, leaving out random one-man-bands I 'discovered' on bandcamp and sticking to known names, I nominate late-era Pelican and it's lovely drumming, and middle-era ASMZ with Efrim's lovely whining.

Also, I can't loving stand The Samuel Jackson 5. But that's just me.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

TWDY never really clicked for me at first - I liked Young Mountain, but if I reached for it on the shelf, I'd see The Earth Is Not.. and grab that instead.

Then I watched this hipsterish video on Vimeo and it all clicked.
https://vimeo.com/23114063

Also, for all the Tunnel Blanket hate, Little Smoke is a kickass track.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

Won tickets to see Godspeed tonight.

Pretty excited.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Also, I Am Waiting For You Last Summer is incredible.

This. All their stuff is on bandcamp and totally worth it. The self titled is the standout imo.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 14, 2013

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

nomapple posted:

Listen to Light Bearer.

They've got their new album available as "pay what you want" on bandcamp, and play amazing post-rock/metal in the vein of Isis, Cult of Luna and Envy. I can't recommend this album highly enough. Conceptually it's based upon His Dark Materials, Paradise Lost, and the Book of Genesis. The whole thing rules.

Seconding this. I've had it on repeat for like two weeks now, outstanding.

Also, their album synopsis and the thoughts behind each track are fascinating:
http://lightbearerband.wordpress.com/silver-tongue/

a very small excerpt:
Silver Tongue is an allegorical story about the archetypal woman and the fantastical Judeo-Christian notion of original sin. In the same way Pullman deconstructed the biblical story of the Fall of Man, reversing its original premise to make a statement about the role of Eve that contradicts the misogynist sentiment pertaining to the Old Testament, we, too, attempted to rewrite this story to turn it into an extended metaphor for the emancipatory struggle of women and, ultimately, all of humanity against the inhuman regime of a false god whom, ironically, humans have created in the first place.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

chunkles posted:

Seriously I had a look and I can't figure out where to recommend you should start.

The correct answer is Young Team.

To be more specific, the correct answer is Mogwai Fear Satan.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

Jan posted:

I've been hung up on Soundtracks for the Blind, and in particular The Sound is a track that will definitely reach the GY!BE/early Mogwai post-rock lovers out there.

The version of The Sound on Swans are Dead is incredible.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

Laura is outstanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CFDh6z9sE8

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 24, 2013

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

fujifisher posted:

That second track that was ripped from the Godspeed tape ("Dadmomdaddy") sounds a LOT like Efrim Menuck singing, so I have very high hopes that this tape is the real deal.

It has Efrim singing? Hopefully the guy smashed it, burned the remains, vaporised the ashes and then salted the earth.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

And the two Seminar albums from Old Man Gloom.

Which is pretty much just Isis. But anyways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqrvOKVCYEo

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

'Young Team' is actually called 'Mogwai Young Team'. Mind blown.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Hardcore Will Never Die was really boring after the first listen so hopefully this is an improvement.

You're Lionel Ritchie.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

nomapple posted:

So where on earth do I start with Mogwai?

Fire up Spotify.
If you like the first, listen to the second.
If you like both, buy the cd. But buy Young Team anyway, because it's objectively awesome.

Mogwai Fear Satan/Like Herod
Auto Rock/We're No Here
Kids Will Be Skeletons/Stop Coming To My House
The Precipice/I Love You, I'm Going To Blow Up Your School
You're Lionel Ritchie/Letters to the Metro
Punk Rock/Cody
2 Rights Make 1 Wrong/Nothing, Because Rock Action Is The Worst (which sounds suspiciously like a Mogwai song title)

(Remurdered/Hexon Bogon)

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

What are some heavy rockers I can add to my stable?

Throwing out Angel Eyes, because they were awesome and my favorite heavy post rock band.

Vincent - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pq52_KU3Eo
Two - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmBKdwTDsxA