Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

incredibull posted:

Put a real mechanical oil pressure gauge to it before you decide that you have a mechanical problem and not an electrical problem. You can just buy a cheap one and temporarily pull the pressure switch if you don't want to fully install it.

I am supporting this move, the failure mode of the Oil Pressure sensor is to peg it at high 80, but most 4.0s keep around 75 PSI pressure at idle, at least among the XJ owners on the XJList I polled

incredibull posted:

Cork gaskets are a waste of time, every time. Get the torque even slightly wrong or uneven and they're permanently deformed. As far as valve cover gaskets go, I'll always spend the extra money on Fel-Pro Permadry or equivalent, and most of the steel-reinforced sets can be reused. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Cork is CRAP. Also I always throw some blue instant gasket on there as well, really helps seal up spots where the gasket doesn't seal completely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

PBCrunch posted:

Dana 35 is lame. Does this XJ have ABS brakes?

I'll agree they are lame, but they are cheap and you can find them everywhere, so sometimes if you carry spares they are not that bad

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Wamsutta posted:

Anyone had the 4wd Part Time dash indicator light go out on their XJ? On my 1996 it used to light up relaibly, but now only does occasionally (4wd Part Time is definitely engaging). Since it didn't just flat-out stop working one day, I'm thinking it's the switch in the transfer case, so I'm going to crawl under later and make sure the connection's good. I just had the dash bezel off yesterday to install Sirius, so I hope it's not the bulb.

I've had XJs I've worked on where either the plug disconnected on the transfer case or the bulb has burned out

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sharp_angus posted:

In my '95 XJ, I found cutting a small notch on one side of the bezel at the steering column helps make things way a bit easier. If you do it right, the 2 piece cover that goes over the steering column covers it almost entirely.

I think mine got hung up on a hex-head screw/bolt on the back left side of the column (holds in the switch for the turn signal from the looks of things), so I cut the notch to clear that on a straight pull towards me.

I usually put a crack right over the center of the steering column so that I can slightly flex the dash cover to get it off easier

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

grnberet2b posted:

This one's yellow up to the point that it goes bare:

There is a code saying that the Crankshaft (or Camshaft) is misaligned, so I'm wondering if it might somehow go to the crankshaft position sensor on the transmission in that area, or even be related.

That is your CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) it should be on the rear of the engine by the bellhousing on the drivers side

Click here for the full 1024x738 image.

If it is the Camshaft Position Sensor its on the distributor on the passenger side of the engine

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 23, 2011

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

brickswereshat posted:

I think I've got Death Wobble. Everyone I've read has said it happens post-lift, but my XJ is stock height. Am I incorrect in assuming that it's uncommon, but not impossible to get DW in a non-lifted XJ?

Deathwobble affected pretty much every Cherokee, but fear not! It can be fixed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I seem to recall there is a 5.0 liter stroker engine built out of a 4.0 block you can buy crate style

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shubs posted:

I thought a transfer case lowering kit was the go-to solution for death wobble.

Its a problem with the steering.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kibblesnbits posted:

Well, an '05 Liberty is hardly the same flesh and blood as an XJ, you know...

What travesty is this?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So apparently the new Turbodiesel Grand Cherokees are out, because I saw a brand new one yesterday with a Diesel tag on the back.

Now Fiat powered!

I wish they'd resurrect the XJ...this luxury vehicle crap is making me sad.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 7, 2012

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

commissargribb posted:

that's pretty loving cool.

A JEEP... with decent fuel economy? What has this world come to?

It was meant to be. Makes me wish the Renault/VM XJ had become more common

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

shookwell posted:

not after you put the supercharger in

I wish I could find the CRD version of the old Grand Cherokee.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Love the new thread title, makes me miss my XJ

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Chef Bromden posted:

So I noticed some coolant leaking from the top of the radiator on my 95 SE.

It's leaking all around between the top of the core and the top piece. Googling seems to suggest it's a common problem and easy enough to just replace the radiator My question is what kind of replacement radiator should I get? There seems to be a lot of debate about the number of rows and what material to get, but I don't know anyone on those forums so I don't know whose opinion to trust. The one thing that people seem to agree on is to avoid the plastic tank, as that seems to be what caused the problem in the first place.

Yep, lovely plastic radiator end caps got you.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

And lo, Judas did ask: Why did you not make a diesel option?

And god did smite him.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Slow is Fast posted:

Kastein and I have probably talked about putting a different head on a 4.0 block and deisel conversions at some point or other.

I did a couple XJ to diesel conversions. Really REALLY want to get some metalworking tools and mod an XJ head to make a diesel 4.0.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

The conclusion I came to is that it would require a custom head ($$$$$$$) custom injection pump drive gearing ($$$$$) and would probably turn the pistons into shrapnel or crush the rods/rod bearings if they weren't redesigned from scratch for high compression diesel operation.

I mean, obviously. But drat, I can dream...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sandbagger SA posted:

What's the deal with the 2.1 Renault diesel? Are they built with unobtanium? Are they awful? Did someone buy them all and hide them in a warehouse somewhere in Nevada?

Yes.

Only 500 made it to the US, most of them trashed because of the issues with the Renault parts. I found one.

After a headgasket, and a timing belt directly from France and a few replace rockers, I got it running. Its pretty gutless, and the IDI head does not really allow you to do injector mods to increase fueling.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 21, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Good. It'll keep the Landys from infesting the garage.

Every time another Jeep approaches my driveway, it sees the piss stains from the TDI and gets wary.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

What smuggery rights do I get for having a diesel 3-axle mega-CJ8? :smug:

(yes it's still broken)

All the smuggery rights....

...even if it doesn't work.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Too big of a lift kit?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

:colbert: Needs a Turbodiesel.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

:perfect:

Reminds me of that Indian produced clone of the CJ2. Then again, that thing was awful.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sandbagger SA posted:

WELP.

It happened.

I decided to drive the MJ back to my apartment in Kittery last night. I had finally got the radio fixed and the heater working. The weather was fantastic and it seemed like everything was going great.

I got to 5 minutes of where I was going and smoke started pouring out of the heater box. I pulled over and keyed off immediately. Soon fire was shooting out of my heater on the passenger side next to the core.

The heater box was packed solid with about 4 lbs of rodent nest material. Cloth, scraps of paper and bits of plastic. It was kindling and the heater box went up like match paper. The fire was out of control before long.

The fire took a dumpy old laptop, a tool box with some Ryobi power tools, my 9mm handgun (luckily unloaded in a case behind the driver's seat) all of my Comanche specific manuals and my favorite jacket. :smith:

by the time the fire trucks got to the scene it was a column of smoke and flames.

I guess I'm in the market for another truck.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
On the plus side, this motivated me to buy fire extinguishers for all my cars.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So, I might be looking at an XJ for a fun project. Kind of want to do a Mercedes diesel conversion, because underpowered diesels make me happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DAT RAM posted:

Here's a place to start

https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/cto/5730698295.html

I get why he got rid of the 4x4 drive train but come on, this is Florida. There's 2wd XJ's all over the drat place and they sell for next to nothing.

Its no fun if I have to ditch the 4x4.