Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've been looking for a fun car for a while and just realized how cheap the 135i is now. Did the N55 fix enough of the N54's problems to limit my search to 2011+ cars? They're obviously more money, but I've seen plenty with low enough miles for <$25k. I know about some of the repair issues, but I was originally looking at 996TT's before I changed some life plans, so those aren't a huge concern unless I'm going to be dropping a bunch of money to replace blown turbos or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

fknlo posted:

I've been looking for a fun car for a while and just realized how cheap the 135i is now. Did the N55 fix enough of the N54's problems to limit my search to 2011+ cars? They're obviously more money, but I've seen plenty with low enough miles for <$25k. I know about some of the repair issues, but I was originally looking at 996TT's before I changed some life plans, so those aren't a huge concern unless I'm going to be dropping a bunch of money to replace blown turbos or something.

Anyone have anything for me on this? I'm trying to do some research, but a lot of the info seems to be several years old. The N54 is/was much better for tuning at the cost of general reliability? A 2010 seems to be the best bet? The N55 seems to have less tuning options available, maybe, and also doesn't respond quite as well to mods? A 2011 seems to be the best bet here? I've got a friend that's big into BMW's but I haven't had a chance to pick his brain at all.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Crustashio posted:

On that very topic, a friend had a PPI done on a 135i today.

:lol:

I was gonna ask if a PPI would be recommended.

Kind of interested in this car and this car. Gonna try to test drive the only local one tomorrow to see how I like it. 2013 DCT car so it's not one I'd actually buy.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Drove that 135i today. It was fun, but I just feel so detached when driving an auto. Definitely still interested, gonna have to get my hands on a manual. Doing a little more research, there's a JB4 tune for all the model years, so that concern looks like it's out the window.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

What year was it? I'd never get the actual auto but the DCT is pretty fun. if I had to do it all over again, I'd go for a manual though. I just really like the sound the car makes when shifting with the DCT. In normal mode it sounds pretty awesome. In sport mode, it shifts so fast the engine can't get the revs down fast enough so the transmission drags it down and makes a kind of grunting noise.

It was a 2012, so it had the DCT. I'm sure it's something I could get used to, but it always feels weird to me to drive an auto in a performance oriented car.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

jink posted:

DCT was only in US market for 135is and 335is. Regular 135 and 335 did NOT arrive with the DCT. In other countries DCT was an option. :)

I'm pretty sure the 135i got the DCT in the 2010 or 2011 model year in the US.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Test drove a manual 135is a couple days ago, I liked it much better than the DCT car I drove. It's an is so it's going to be more than I want to spend on a 135, but I'm definitely a fan.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've been lazily shopping 135i's for a while now but after a really nice sounding e46 m3 drove past my house the other day I've started looking at those again too. It's pretty amazing to see $40k differences in list prices on the same car. Even 996TT's weren't that stupid. I'm also going to track down and murder every mother fucker that lists the SMG as a manual. This will apparently be incredibly time consuming so I may have to quit my job. Wish me luck.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Alarbus posted:

That's a cause I would contribute to. And also dealer listings that list DCT as manual. gently caress that. Flappy paddles are not manual!

It was definitely something I'd noticed in 135i listings, but nowhere near on the level of m3's. And it seems that at least 80% of the m3's I'm seeing are SMG. The rest are some combination of retarded price, super high miles, various degrees of clapped outness, etc...

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Crustashio posted:

The best thing about e46 smgs is that they actually can be converted to manual and it's not super complicated if you know a tech (or can program). I'm just waiting for the day someone puts one up for sale with a failed SMG pump...

Way more :effort: than I want to deal with.

I've got a friend that has a couple e46 m3's that's going to keep an eye out for me, so that will be some help. My favorite things that I've seen so far include some dealer in Ohio apparently buying every manual m3 they can get their hands on and then putting them up at retarded prices and then the one I found on m3forum that includes pictures on a gravel road where it looks like the guy is blasting it around a curve. That will bring the buyers in :allears:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

EAG? yeah, gently caress those guys.

I think we were bitchin about them a couple of pages ago for loving up e90 manual wagon prices.

Yeah, them. They have one listed at $75k :lol:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ormy posted:

SMGs are great, most of the hate comes from people who have never owned or never will own one.

I don't want one because of personal preference. That's really it. If I found a good enough deal on one where I thought doing the 6 speed conversion would be worth it I'd buy one. That's about it though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Does it seem like E90 M3 prices are going up or am I just imagining things? Maybe as I get closer to purchasing a car my requirements get a little crazy (manual, sedan, 09+, preferably less than 45k mi) and that drives the price up.

Separate but related, is it insanity to own an E9x M3 without a warranty or is it typical BMW forums garbage where a few vocal people drown out a majority of owners that have few issues?

How do you and I keep ending up looking at basically the same poo poo? I'd probably be on the E90 train too but I don't want to spend that much at the moment.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

mechaet posted:

I've handed 15K in cash to someone before for an M3. As long as proper precautions are taken, it's every bit as no-hassle as the $1500 transaction.

I'd be ok with doing this, but I'm not showing up for a test drive with that money in hand.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

But yes, the E9x M3 is so perfect in so many ways.

I haven't exactly been looking at E46's very long, but since it would seem that EAG has the non-molested manual market locked the gently caress up, the E9x is looking better and better. It looks like $30-35k can get you cars with similar mileage in similar condition.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I have a buddy that bought an e46 M3 with 32k miles for $26k last year. At the time I thought he was insane paying that much but now it's looking like a bargain.

For reference, this and this seem to be the bottom end of the clean, stock manuals offered by EAG. $5k or so less and I'd be pretty drat interested. Which is probably still more than what they paid for them. Any time a clean car gets posted on any of the forums there's inevitably an "In before EAG" post. So you have to be on top of listings and get lucky to snatch up something before they get to it. Might be able to get stuff that's only locally listed on smaller craigslist cities?

There are a decent number of E9x M3's within a couple thousand dollars of those 2 cars with similar mileage. Hell, a good number of the E9x cars EAG has are listed lower than their E46's. Probably just another car I should have started looking for a couple years ago :(

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Should I buy this instead of an M3?
:heysexy:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

My hopes and dreams shattered again!

Yesterday I went to a lovely WE'LL FINANCE YOU REGARDLESS OF CREDIT lot that just got a 2003 M3 in. It was an SMG but I still wanted to take it out for a test drive. I got them to tell me they'd replaced the engine on it between them repeatedly asking me how I planned on paying for the car. They weren't at all interested in letting me drive it.

What's the deal with M3's and rebuilt/salvage titles? There seem to be a ton of them.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I'm so conflicted now.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
gently caress me. Really clean Dinan M3 popped up on craigslist today with decent miles at a really good price. Sent the guy a message pretty much immediately. Apparently not fast enough. An "out of state collector" got to him before I did. I told him if it's EAG he needs to tell them to pound sand and just sell it to me. Hopefully I don't see it on their site in the next few weeks :( . Told him to let me know if the deal falls through or becomes a hassle since I'm interested.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

dumbest holiday ever

Every day is April 1 for EAG!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Moxie Omen posted:

gently caress everything about enthusiast auto

They apparently recently got their hands on an E46 M3 with 500 miles on it. People are expecting them to list it in the $90-100k range.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Ran across This beautiful machine in my E46 search.

:circlefap:

I want it

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

23k into an actual e46m3 would still be a better car.

Don't care, that thing is looks really well done and hot as gently caress

e: and the prices for clean E36's have been going up as well.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 7, 2016

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

NitroSpazzz posted:

but the build quality was lacking especially for the price.

This would obviously be my main concern on something like that, especially since I'd have to do the fly out and look thing too. Just going off that list of stuff from the ad it seems like there was good thought and planning involved, so that alone puts it ahead of at least 85% of cars modified in that fashion. I'm still rock hard mildly interested after a night of sleep so I'm gonna shoot the guy a message and hope he has pictures of the build and stuff. I briefly googled a bit last night to see if I could find a build thread anywhere but didn't come across one. Didn't exactly dig very deep though. Everything looks clean enough in pictures and I've always wanted to visit San Francisco anyway :v:

fknlo fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 7, 2016

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

T-Square posted:

Well poo poo. You may have just influenced a bad decision. I inquired about a $12k ZHP this morning, and my friend is trying to offload his M to make room for his growing Datsun collection. I went "Har har, I'll give ya 12 for it." He said make that 12.5 and it's yours.

If you don't buy it let me know ;)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This interior is making my loins tingle. My second car was an '84 528e and I loved it to its literal death. I want to make poor financial decisions.

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/2799855

drat that thing is clean.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'd try to buy this 2002 instead

Still over a day left so the price might go up, but it has been pretty steady for a few days.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://imgur.com/gallery/rZtcz

I'll just leave that here :circlefap:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cobalt60 posted:

jesus it's like an anti-chrome sentiment thesis

It went for twenty four thousand dollars.

:psypop:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

They are a S2000 with too much power and a nice interior

And the price tag to match those improvements. Especially since they're one of the cars that EAG targets.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
What was up until recently the only BMW dealer in KC pretty much only stocks xdrive automatic cars. If you want a manual or RWD you're either ordering it or just poo poo out of luck. So 99% of people shopping for a BMW are going to end up in that combo whether it was their initial preference or not.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

It is a bummer. It's really something that once you see the signs, it's just a matter of time. Prices I've seen are in the $2k - $3k range for the job.

The best part is that there have been multiple failures by people who get every oil change analyzed with nothing out of the ordinary showing. It's one of the reasons my friend told me to focus on '03'5+ cars when I was looking at M3's.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
A 2002tii just went for SEVENTY ONE THOUSAND UNITED STATES DOLLARS on BaT. :wow:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

250hp isn't happening with the F20,

Nah, it's doable without forced induction, you're just not getting it with easy bolt ons.

Go here for all your NA F20/22 needs

fknlo fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 23, 2016

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

I guess I should have clarified there, since the K24 can do that NA. :)

Like I said, so can the F20. It's just not as easy to get. 230-240whp is doable with a tune and bolt-ons. More than that is still possible NA, you're just gonna have to break open the engine and toss some money at it to get it. If he's just looking for 250 at the crank then it would probably be the way easier to go unless the RWD conversions for the K series are similar price/effort. If they are the K would definitely be the better option.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

edit:

why settle with AWD when i have 3 months to find a replacement for the tdi?

this looks promising:

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/5681780220.html

Only downside is that it's an M56 pzev motor.

I've been throwing around some BMW wagons too, but having to replace the entire cooling system on a monthly basis is a pretty big hit on my reliability requirement for a DD.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

If that article was "BMWs are poo poo" I'd sort of agree. When I think of what's gone wrong on my car, bad ECU, bad transmission, wastegate actuator, charge pipe exploded. Everything around the engine goes bad but the engine itself has always been fine.

The stuff outside of the block that is required for the engine to run is generally lumped into "the engine" in regards to things like that article. So your car would be a perfect example of what that article is talking about.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I saw an M2 at a cars and coffee last week. It looked more ungainly in person than in pictures. Something about the proportions of the entire rear third of the car is just off. I'd still totally take one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

mindphlux posted:

sooooooooooooooo

who wants to sell me their 2-3 year old pristine manual 328 or 335, with technology package, black grey or white, preferably with wood trim interior?

the searchstruggle is real

Searching for manual BMW's is massively infuriating because everyone lists their SMG or DSG car as a "manual".