Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Netherlands/adjacent goons: I'm looking for some advice on BMW car hunting, specifically E92 M3s. I moved here a few months ago for work and I've searched around a bit on places like marktplaatz.nl, and the selection is pretty limited. Any guidance for bringing a car across from Germany? Are there any import places that specialize in doing this? Is it worth the hassle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Combat Theory posted:

Mobile.de

Yes it is. Importing cars from EU country to EU country is also fairly easy and you get preferential conditions as an export customer. Be aware though you won't get any used car warranty (which is mandatory in Germany for the German market)

You'll have to inform yourself about any import taxes specific to EU car imports. You only have to pay VAT once, but make sure to pay in the correct country.

I'll check that site out, thanks for the advice!

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Count me in also for TIS access, if it is still available - PMs open

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

I recently completed a maintenance task that I'd put off for far too long - replacing leaking differential seals. I followed this guide and it was detailed enough, although I was completely unable to get the pinion nut off without an impact wrench - so now I have an impact wrench. Kinda wish I had it at the start of the job rather than waiting for it to arrive halfway through however!

I replaced all three seals for peace of mind. The job took me a fair while as it was my first time really getting under this car, but apart from that it was very doable.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Voltage posted:

Next step is to slap in the Turner undertray, I went to put it on, but needed a reverse torx bit to undo the old one...

Nice! This reminded me that I need to replace my factory undertray (E92 M3) after too many scrapes on speed bumps. Would you recommend Turner undertrays in general?

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Saw the latest model M4 Competition in the flesh today - it looks much better in person, even the snout. The bonnet styling for the M flows cleaner into that big honker, for sure

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

When I test drove the DCT and manual back to back, the DCT was clearly faster (and a chunk more expensive) but I really missed the feel and interaction of a manual. Not that the E92 manual is great or anything - it has a long throw and it doesn't feel that precise - but I ultimately went manual over DCT. Do short shift kits help improve the feel at all?

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

I took the E92 M3 to the Nürburgring for the first time last week, and while overall the car performed well, I experienced some pretty bad shuddering from the front under braking. It's not something that I've noticed during street or highway driving, apart from some very minor vibrations at over 100km/h. The car is standard apart from an exhaust. Where might this be coming from? The usual suspects seem to be warped rotors and/or uneven pad deposits, but I'm also considering the wheel balancing, wheel bearings, and suspension bushings.

Also there was some incredible hardware at the Ring - a load of E92, E46, and other M3s in a variety of track/race preps; various 911s; at least one McLaren; a couple of SLSs, the list goes on. A lot of inspiration!

I'm planning to hit the Ring more often in the E92 but driving 4 hours each way in the same car that's being used on the track means compromising on the fitout and running the risk of being stranded after a failure. Am I crazy for looking at a F15 X5 30d for towing the E92 + trailer, plus serving as a commute/errand workhorse? Second-gen Cayennes are also an option, and they have higher towing capacity compared to the F15.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Alarbus posted:

How new/worn are the tires? That's usually been my problem.

They're 1mm off the markers so they're coming due for a refresh, and I'm not sure how old they are off the top of my head. I'm on the factory staggered 19" wheels but I'd look to switch to either a 18" or 19" square setup once the current tyres are finished.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

I didn't take many pictures in the paddock, but this car really stood out to me - made me nostalgic for the John Player black and gold M3s that used to run in Australian touring cars.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

Sounds excellent, got any video while lapping?

Both my partner and friend were in the car (along with luggage etc) and I'm pretty sure that one of them recorded at least one lap, I'll get a hold of it. I don't think I managed a BTG under 10min in 4 attempts, unfamiliarity with the track and keeping the speed reasonable on the straights had a lot to do with that.

SlapActionJackson posted:

It is almost certainly pad deposits, especially if you're on OE pads and have never have the brakes up to track temp before.

Good to know, I'll start there! From what I can read online, either re-bedding the current pads or swapping in some aggressive track pads are the most suitable ways to scrub pad deposits off. Any other tips?

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

Are you allowed to just go to the track and drive it whenever or what?

Pretty much every day it's open from 5 - 7 or so, 25 euros per lap, just don't crash otherwise it gets expensive fast

What surprised me was that you can get 15min sessions on the GP track for 35 euros, at pretty much the same times

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

I finally got around to fitting a Turner Motorsports front undertray (to replace the busted factory tray) as well as a new underdrive pulley and Eventuri air filter kit on the E92 M3, and of course I break the nipple on the upper radiator hose so it's time to hunt for a spare parts supplier here in NL/EU. https://www.schmiedmann.nl/ is the one I normally use but they're coming up empty for the part number (11537838214). Is anyone else here in the EU and know any reputable OEM/OEM equivalent BMW parts suppliers?

edit: Looks like https://www.autodoc.nl has non-OEM replacement parts so that should work.

Also I discovered that one of the previous owners must have run into a low rock or bollard as the oil cooler is badly bent inwards, along with the aircon condenser. The factory undertray has clearly been repaired as well. The power steering cooler, radiator support and radiator itself look fine so it can't have been that hard, and I'm not seeing any evidence of leakage from the cooler nor had excessive oil loss over the last few years. However - is it worth replacing it with an aftermarket item if I'm planning some light track work and extensive autobahn driving?

Bjork Bjowlob fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 22, 2023

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

TheBacon posted:

No comment other than I think the eventuri products are extremely sexy, pics pls!

Will do! I didn't spring for the airbox lid/cover however, even though it looks incredible. Their carbon manifold is extremely deluxe as well

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Hitting 100k miles in an E92 M3 is really just like hitting 40 as an adult, drat. Just one thing failing right after another

So far I've replaced: throttle actuators, water pump + various seals, oil/power steering/transmission coolers and radiator (oil cooler was badly bent but not leaking, radiator beat up, the other two were upgrades), underdrive pulley + belts, front undertray, couple underbody trim bits, prob some other things I'm not remembering.

100kms after finally buttoning all of that back up - the belt tensioners are probably cooked (power steering belt slipping), one or more wheel speed sensors could be faulty, and one of the throttle actuators is failing AGAIN christ

I replaced the factory actuators with Evolve Automotive uprated units so that this failure would be less likely to happen in the future (plus they come with lifetime warranty), so it's a real pain to have to pull them out again so soon and send them back over to the UK so they can be replaced.

Bjork Bjowlob fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 10, 2023

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Yeah even though it's hurting my wallet currently I wouldn't want to trade in the e92 for anything else really, except maybe a 997.2 GT3 but I'd have to win the lotto for one of those. It absolutely helps that I do most of the work myself, saves a chunk on labour and I can swear at the car for stress release.

Since I have to put the M3 up on stands and dig into it anyway - are there any major 100k mile items that should be addressed? Spark plugs, injectors, misc sensors, etc?

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Fortunately one of the previous owners replaced them already with evidence in ther service records - although I hear that they can fail again after a certain amount of time. I've been taking oil samples every change but I haven't gotten off my rear end and sent them to be analysed yet, so that's next on the list.

Alarbus posted:

Plugs and check all the coolant hoses for deterioration/age, and definitely find some place to just do the rod bearings.

I've replaced all the coolant hoses in the front, the only ones I haven't are the ones running behind the engine - I screwed up reading the parts diagrams and ordered the hoses for a DCT model whereas mine's a manual and doesn't have the heat exchanger at the back. I'll order fresh plugs - is there any need to gap them down before installing? Something I always had to do on previous (albeit turbo) cars.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

After dealing with fatigued alloy threads pulling out on 25+ year old Nissan's, I thought that moving to the comparatively modern and young E92 would mean at least 10 years before I'd have to perform the sacred rites and pray before torquing up any bolt seated in the block or head.

But no, today the bottom bolt on the power steering belt tensioner pulled the thread out way short of the target torque. After performing a short-lived surrender cobra, I checked the part diagram again and fortunately it turns out that the thread is in a small removable mount rather than the block itself! But of course, the engine has to be lifted up a few cm (or the subframe dropped accordingly) to allow the mounting bolts to be extracted.

Time to replace the engine mounts as well I guess, as it requires most of the same work.

A quick sense check - according to this thread the torque for the belt tensioner mounting bolts is 40Nm which seems slightly high for an M8 bolt into alloy. The thread quotes the standard torque for the bolt type from the TIS rather than a specific torque. Does this figure sound right?

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

glyph posted:

Which engine? e: clicked the link.

PM me your email and I can invite you to new tis for access, which will mean the links in that thread will still work.

Yes I should have clarified that it's a S65. Thanks for the offer - PM incoming!

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

After a long road trip with the window down, the roof liner in my E92 M3 has now fully come loose. In a previous life it was evidently owned by a smoker (who had frequent smoking passengers) so the damage was already done and it was just a matter of time.

Any guidance on fixing this? Do I have to use new fabric, or can the original fabric be salvaged and reused?

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

MY INEVITABLE DEBT posted:

friend just got a 2020 m8 and let me drive it. easily the most powerful thing ive ever been in. just absolutely preposterous. cant wait to be able to afford an m for myself.

tbh the thing should be illegal but wowie it's a lotta fun

Username/post combo

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Fellow E9X M3 owners - how graunchy are your rear diffs at low speed? I've been noticing more and more noise coming from the back during tight low-speed turns and was wondering if it was a sign that the diff is wearing out. It's specifically worse with a small amount of throttle applied, but it's present with no throttle as well.

Also, I have an issue with the power steering that is driving me nuts. I'm running the Turner pulley kit which comes with its own belts, and ever since installing it I've experienced very bad belt slippage for a period after starting the car. It's not just the noise that's an issue, it's very obvious that the PS system pressure drops significantly at the same time and the wheels don't turn. Once the system is warm the issue goes away and I haven't experienced any steering problems so far during spirited mountain driving, but I'm concerned that at some point in the future the belt will slip during hard cornering (i.e. when the pressure demand is highest) and put me into a tree/wall/canal.

Clearly the belt tension is a problem, however I've replaced the belt tensioners and I'm still experiencing the problem. I'm not used to 'auto' belt tensioners - on older cars I'd just crank the adjustment a bit further until the slipping stops, but I don't think the S65 has any such manual adjustment capability.

What I'm left with at the moment is either the belt that came with the kit was wrong, or the pump itself has a fault, or there's some other fault with the steering rack, and/or I screwed up the installation. My car is a 09/2007 build and I requested the correct Turner kit i.e. with the PS belt going 'over' the pulley rather than under.

Any ideas on either problem?

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Is it a sort of “click” you hear when you first get going?

The diff noise is more of a gravelly scraping/tumbling, and it's only during tight turns, nothing when travelling straight. It's almost like the diff is locking and dragging the inside wheel rather than letting it rotate, but a bit more metallic.

The belt noise is the classic high-pitched squealing.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

I'll throw in another rec for Apex particularly wrt brake clearance vs size, and also their customer service is great. I ordered a set shipped to the EU, UPS hosed it up and sent it back to the States for some dumb reason or another and Apex were on top of it the whole way and just shipped it out again no worries.

UPS can die in a fire though

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Elite Taco posted:

I've decided to track prep the dang e91.

Gonna put the e82 brakes on and errything.

Hell yeah, post progress pics! How does the e82 retrofit compare to the f80 retrofit? I was considering the f80 front brakes but was put off by needing the knuckles etc plus basically requiring 19" wheels, so I went with Stoptech 4-pots on sale. Do you need to go up to 19" wheels (or specific 18") for the e82 brakes?

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

I've stuck with the recommended Castrol 10w-60 for my E92 M3 whenever I've done my own oil changes. My mechanic uses Kroon Emperol at the same weight. But now I'm finding out there's people using the thinner 0w-40 weight - are there any benefits to this?

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

My E92 M3 only gets Liqui-Moly RaceTech GT1 10w60, my mechanic is an extremely OCD Porsche/BMW dude so I listen to his recommendations for what the right stuff to use is.

It doesn't take very long for the S65 to get to temperature and thinner oil up front does nothing to get the LSD ready to be romped upon, so from my experience it is smart to always let it warm up for 2-3 minutes before you even move and don't rev past 3-4k until you've driven a few miles. Can't see any real benefit to using thinner oil.

I'm pretty sure that lead spike is from a race fuel additive I used for a track weekend at Thermal in the spring of 2019.

Damnit that reminds me that I have to send oil samples off for analysis. I've taken samples from the last three changes, just never got to sending them off. Is there a point where the samples 'go off'? I'm assuming the metal content can't evaporate, but perhaps the oil consistency changes such that the sample is not really representable of the engine condition.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

I need some help figuring out what's going on with the power steering system in my E92 M3. I posted a while ago about issues with the belt squealing after installing an ECS pulley, even after replacing the belt tensioner. I put up with this for a while but recently dove back in to diagnose it.

The car is a 2007/09 build, so the following should be true (as long as the engine is original):

• The PS belt is single sided, with a factory length of 1067 (ECS kit is 1035)
  • The idler pulley is offset
  • The PS pump runs clockwise
  • The PS belt runs over the pump pulley and under the idler pulley

After pulling off the idler, belt, and PS pump pulley (destroying the weak lovely nylon pulley in the process), as well as checking the old belt, I found the following:

• PS belt is single sided with length 1067
  • Idler pulley is centred, not offset (see pic)
  • PS pump looks to have part number 228304102, which as far as I can tell corresponds to an early-build clockwise pump (see pic)

So my best guess is that one of the previous owners installed a later-model idler pulley for some godamn reason, and the belt tension issue was only exposed after I swapped in the ECS main pulley and shorter belt. Before doing the swap I didn't notice any belt slipping. Or the engine was swapped with a later model, but they kept the original PS pump and belt (why?!). Or something even less likely.

At the moment I think the most sensible approach is to swap the idler pulley for an offset version. However, the offset pulley is keyed on the engine side from what I can tell in pics and the current pulley mount does not look compatible with this (see pic). Is this pulley mount swappable or is it part of the engine block?

edit: posting on mobile so I'm not sure if the below are loving up the tables

edit2: A bit more research shows that the idler pulley mount is part of the oil filter housing, and if I want to go back to the offset pulley I also need the compatible oil filter housing (part number 11427838275).

Current pulley

Current PS pump label (number is a bit hard to read)

Current pulley mount

Bjork Bjowlob fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 21, 2024

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Do any 2008+ E9X M3 owners here have the Dinan pulley kit installed? If so, could you check what the AC/PS belt length is? Some owners have said it's a 6DPK1070 (link to discussion, makes it the same as the Turner kit), however after asking Dinan directly they say it's a 6DPK1050. I'm curious whether their design was changed recently, or perhaps the shorter belt is easier to source, not sure.

Bjork Bjowlob fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 8, 2024

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

I went white for the E92 as I think the white contrasts the carbon roof etc really well. I'm eyeballing F82 M4s now though and I think some variant of blue is near the top of the list there

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Absolutely if I'm buying a new G series M4 it's going to be in a loud colour - gotta hide the pignose somehow

My local BMW dealer had a 50 year anniversary M4 in red and it looked incredible in person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

Do any 2008+ E9X M3 owners here have the Dinan pulley kit installed? If so, could you check what the AC/PS belt length is? Some owners have said it's a 6DPK1070 (link to discussion, makes it the same as the Turner kit), however after asking Dinan directly they say it's a 6DPK1050. I'm curious whether their design was changed recently, or perhaps the shorter belt is easier to source, not sure.

Answering this for posterity - the replacement PS/AC belt ECS Tuning sent was a 6DPK1070 (on the second attempt, the first time they sent a completely different belt for some flavour of Nissan)