Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yea, something along the lines of this: http://blip.tv/mn-original/chris-faust-6190686

6x17 120 film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

Sea by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

HP5+ at 1600 is still good.

I was out shooting this sunday, around the lake, and saw the same type of person - standing on a board and paddling. Wtf is this type of sport I don;t even know

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

So I really kind of want to dick around with a Hasselblad Xpan. Seems pretty cool, and it takes away form the pain of photomerging.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yea, on Keh they go for $1900 for the kit. Plus 6x9 is on 120 film, that's a huge plus.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

maxmars posted:

Basically forensics.

Speaking of film, I'm on my way to deplete my second mix of chemicals for C-41 development, I'm really diving into it.

Dusk over Via Giardini di maxmars70, su Flickr

Only, I wish the Digibase kit instructions weren't so awful. I am preparing a step by step how to doc with pix, if anyone's interested I'll publish it here (in this thread?).

This is great. How hard is doing C-41 home development compared to BW?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

pootiebigwang posted:

Thanks for the info guys, here's some gently caress ups from the roll I mangled.

Lessons learned, next roll will be better.

Yeesh, finger on the trigger + loaded bullets. You must really trust your friend not to sneeze! ha.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Captain Postal posted:

Seconding recommending these. Mine is loving brilliant and I will never go back to the stock canon holder (8800F)

I like the betterscanning holders but I found one thing - with some rolls, they're out of shape enough so that they sag down (imagine a slight U shape). I found that putting the film right on the glass and topping it with the betterscanning ANR glass flattens it out without loss of detail. If anything, the photo looked better since it was flatter.

(V500 btw)

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

So in that case you're not even using the glass holder?

I am using the glass piece without the plastic holder, it keeps the film flat. I guess Epson's DOF is good enough to catch the film right against the glass as well as at the height of the betterscanning holder.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

I shot some expired 1600 fuji super HG film. At 1200.

It was still underexposed :negative:

1600superhg043.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

This turned out pretty good I think.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

I made a box to scan film using my OM-D instead of borrowing my sisters scanner, and I dunno. seems a bit better (or maybe i'm just not cranking contrast to 100 anymore) , but I really need a better way of holding the negatives or something.

Scanner (epson 4490)

img011.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

OM-D + cut up flat rate box with a flash shoved in the back:

P3160075-Edit.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

e. Made a better setup using 2 pieces of glass from some picture frames I wasn't using. Have to be careful to avoid newton rings (the gaff tape + shooting glossy side down seems to work though). There's a flash sitting on the floor pointed straight up at the glass table.

I'm liking the results though (although I think I went a little far with the levels and curves onthis shot)

P3160089-Edit.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

I'm doing this too, as soon as I get a macro lens and a light table (I sold my flash). The photos look much better.

I wonder how easy it would be to stitch a medium format shot.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Good point, I've heard good stuff about photomerge.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

I used photomerge to stitch this together from 3 120 scans, just letting photoshop handle all the settings. Painfully easy to do.

Open Cut by MrDespair, on Flickr

I clicked on the photo to fav it, and I already had. Good thing I upgraded my POS computer so it can handle 3 120 scans hopefully.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

E: too much effort

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 11, 2013

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Did any other Toronto goons to go the photography fair this sunday?

I usually go there to load up on expired film because it's cheap, but this time (and the last) I think they're raising the prices a bit too much for 5+ year old film. $3 a roll or $4 a roll of "pro" films, where it used to be $2 a roll for whatever. The $4 rolls were some Ilford Delta 100 - this is nearing the non-expired price of about $5.

I still got some film though cause why not

2 boxes of Fuji NPH400 (exp. 2003), 1 box of TriX Pan (I push it to 640 with great results), 4 rolls of Delta 100 (exp. 2005), 1 roll (the only roll) of HP5. Total was $65-ish

I walked around some tables and noticed a good condition mju:ii and I thought sweet I can finally replace my broken one, but then I though crap he will probably over charge me. He was selling it for $25 but the rear window was missing so I got the price down to 10. Put some electrical tape over it and I'm good to go!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I've been really wanting to get a Rollei 35, they're just so cheap (25) that I can't justify not getting one. How's the quality of that little lens?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

voodoorootbeer posted:

I have the 2.8 Sonnar version and it does the job.

Untitled by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Now that I have a rangefinder that actually lets me see focus though, it's on permanent pocket camera duty with Tri-X pushed to 1600.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/voodoorootbeer/tags/rollei35s/

That's a sharp lens. I like it.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Where are you seeing them for this cheap?
They're well over €150 on eBay where I am.

When I went to the photo fair here in Toronto last week. They seemed in top notch shape. Not every table was that price, but that is the lowest I saw.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

VomitOnLino hit the nail on the head.

Why discredit one technique over another merely because that is the way _you_ do it? As a community, we must embrace the differences/shortcomings of all processes and all artistic outputs - there are a million ways to create a million visions, pick one.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yea the colour on these is great, very pleasing to the eye.

The second one especially so, the light hits everything perfectly.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 27, 2013

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

What do you guys reckon is an okay amount of time to have exposed but undeveloped rolls kept in the fridge? I have like four 1 month old 120 rolls and like six 2 year old 135 rolls that I need to stop hoarding.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Good stuff. I'm pretty curious what I have on the older rolls, its almost like opening presents. I'll develop them as soon as I move to the apartment in a week.

And a new apartment means I can finally set up my dorkroom.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Ha, some rolls I've shot are from a camera I haven't even seen the results of yet. I wonder if it leaks...

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Is there anything that Portra can't do? I've seen it be processed and shot all kinds of ways, it's pretty great.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I believe so.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yea I would be disappointed. However lab scans are know to be poo poo, unless it's a pro lab. And when it's a pro lab, you will pay accordingly.

Speaking of scans, I just bought a light table to use as a part of my new scanning process - lightable + macro lens.
I expect each MF "scan" to be 2 digital full frames, good enough for prints and a poo poo ton better than my V500 scans.

A couple of quick contact sheets

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

A 5 pack of Protra 400 (120) comes out to $45ish here in Toronto :( And when you throw the development on top of it..

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Sweet, I'll buy from there!

Edit: 400 shot at 3200 and pushed only 1 stop? I've been underestimating portra.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 21, 2013

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I feel the same way - v500 has no trouble scanning slides and most of the time little post work is needed to make them look presentable.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Another option is buying a macro lens for your DSLR.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

That sounds pretty neat though.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Looking at all the cool camera swag you people got it makes me sad that all I got was 2 rolls of portra

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

If it ain't light-leakin, it ain't lomo

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

8th-snype posted:

Squish it between big art books. That way to art seeps down into them.

And here I was thinking that art osmosis was an urban myth :(

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

For what it's worth, the first shot is the better one anyway.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

So is this a bad scan or did the lab do a lovely job? I converted to BW and turned the highlights way down on the curve, the markings are more visible that way. The colours look very distorted when seen with a normal tone curve

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Spedman posted:

I just picked up a Epson 4990 for $40, pretty drat pleased with that, all night 8x10 scans here we come.

How do you guarantee the flatness of the sheet? Do you put it flat against the glass? Wouldn't that give you newton rings?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I'm amazed that this is still making the rounds. It's a solid tutorial.
That was one of my first MF photos

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Speaking of prints, how do you guys frame them? Or do you frame them at all?
What style frames? How heavy are they? I have lovely apartment walls, so I can't hang anything too heavy.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yes, I'm so down (to participate :effort:)

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Spedman posted:

Here is a French dude in Beijing who buys old discarded negatives by the kilo, and has made a project out of everyday photos taken by Chinese between 1985-2005. My favourite parts are the buying bags of film, and the Chinese guy scanning 18000 negatives a month on his little Canon scanner hooked up to a beige box with a little CRT:

http://vimeo.com/40689438

And a theres a photographic celebrity appearance at the end.

I was seeing his images all over the new Yorker Instagram. The video is very nicely done, and pretty interesting.

Edit: those are intense eyebrows.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

PushingKingston posted:

I forgot about Acros. Yeah, that's a good medium format B&W but I rarely shoot B&W so I've got a box half used still just hanging in the freezer.

This is just a painful reminder that Toronto Image Works stopped doing E6 a few months ago and now I have to send it to Montreal.

Did they stop doing E6 in any format or just large?

I have a couple of undeveloped MF e6 in the fridge somewhere :(