Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Lots of films reference the oranges=death motif from the Godfather movies. Did the Godfather movies make it up, or did oranges have this sort of significance prior to the films, in some cultures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

The mirrors are actually windows with identical actors on the other side painstakingly mimicking the main actors.

I'm sure most people in this thread already know this, but Cameron did exactly this in a cut scene from Terminator 2 with Linda Hamilton's twin sister and a prop Arnold head.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

The Lucas posted:

Van Sant's Paranoid Park

I was watching that on TV a few days ago and was wondering why it look stretched out, even though it was an HD channel. Mystery solved.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

mackd717 posted:

should I watch Alien 3, Resurrection, AVP 1 & 2? I really, really liked Alien + Aliens, but I'm kind of getting mixed signals from the net.

Alien 3 isn't as good as the first two, but it's worth watching. Resurrection is pretty bad, and the AVP movies are terrible.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

poonchasta posted:

Thanks for the reply. I want to let my girlfriend use my account at her house if possible because she likes to watch stupid poo poo like Desperate Housewives. I just want to make sure that Netflix won't poo poo on my account for doing this. I'm still only in my free trial at the moment.

It depends on your plan. 3 DVDs at a time = 3 movies streaming at once. I only get one DVD at a time so I can only stream one movie at once.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

SkunkDuster posted:

Thanks! I never would have guessed that they were intentional.

Guess you haven't seen Fight Club.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Mister Squishy posted:

I just finished watching "M" (the 1931 film) for the first time. Did blind beggars in pre-World War II Germany really wear signs around their necks that said "BLIND", or was that just a clumsy visual device?

Same idea as something like this - though it's probable that the sign in the film was exaggerated to get the point across.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

So what was the first film to have a cross promotion with something outside of the movies?

In my life time of nearly 33 years, product tie ins are common place, from my earliest recollections of Star Wars glasses to Dispeciable Me at iHop, there have always been some cross promotion with something.

From Wikipedia...

quote:

The first notable occurrence of cross media marketing occurred in 1977 with the release of the film Saturday Night Fever and its respective soundtrack. The single "How Deep Is Your Love" by The Bee Gees was originally meant to be recorded by Yvonne Elliman for an unrelated album, but it was decided by RSO Records to have The Bee Gees record it and released in an effort to promote the film. The release of the film promoted not only the released single but the entire soundtrack.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I get the feeling he was asking more about obviously promotional stuff that has nothing to do with the film, like Limited Edition Star Wars Coca-Cola and Shrek Pancakes and IHOP and stuff like that. Soundtracks and novelizations don't seem quite as blatant.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

El Bandit posted:

A question about the ending of Shutter Island:

Did Daniels decide to put himself through the lobotomy instead of living with the knowledge of what he did?

Yep.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

bl4d3 posted:

It doesn't appear to be a supported theory at all, but at the very end of Into the Wild, when Christopher is near death and jumps into his bed, he wipes his leg with what seems to be a bloody cloth/sponge and brown/reddish liquid runs down. Do you think he opened up his veins and committed suicide? Or was it a starvation/natural death?

I haven't seen the movie in a while and don't remember that specific part, but I would think he's making GBS threads himself because of the poison berries he ate.

Edit: durrr

Toebone fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 6, 2011

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

I was looking at the new Metropolis bluray, and I was wondering just how good could a movie that is nearly 100 years old can look transferring it to HD. Do they simply take the film and digitize it, or is there clean up done during production? I've heard some old films look great, and others look like crap. I was told there was a older John Wayne film where you can see all the makeup caked on his face.

It looks pretty darn great.

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

csidle posted:

Speaking of spoilers, I had Black Swan somewhat spoiled for me, I think. I'm not sure though: I'd been waiting for this movie to come out quite some time, very excited, but before I had a chance to see it, a friend of mine - who had seen it - told me that the protagonist was delusional/had a split personality and that Nina wasn't real. I was really, really annoyed with being told this, but my friend claimed that you were supposed to know before seeing the movie. I don't recall hearing about that in the trailer though, so what, did I have the movie spoiled for me or was I supposed to know?

I'm not sure your friend was paying attention.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Schweinhund posted:

Wasn't there an alternate version of Passion of the Christ out with less gore? Not sure if it was rated differently though or at the same time.

It got a re-release a few months after its initial run with some of the gore edited out, but the MPAA still wanted to give it an R rating so Gibson released it unrated. I don't think the releases overlapped.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Encryptic posted:

Is that rapid-fire "fanning" motion (not sure if there's a real name for it) you see in just about every gunfight in a Western actually based in reality or do they just do it because it looks badass when you can plug 3 guys in as many seconds with a six-shooter? (see: the opening of Once Upon A Time In The West)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanning_(firearms)

quote:

The idea (as spread by old western films) that people in the "Old West" fanned their hammers in actual firefights with any regularity is considered a caricature. It was done in shooting shows (where trick marksmen entertained crowds with shooting tricks) and by many a curious target-practicer; but it was probably not common in actual firefights, because it doesn't lend itself to most real-life tactical situations, in terms of accuracy or cover. One longtime firearms instructor, George L. Tooley,[1] said, "Fanning is hard on the revolver, in addition to being inaccurate, and is not recommended."

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

GORDON posted:

Ok, I asked about the first instance of "Extended Disarm" about 100 pages ago, and best anyone could figure was Mel Gibson in Mad Max, Beyond Thunderdome.

Here is my followup:

What is the first film to portray a fight, and at some point a barrel/bottle of booze gets shot/broken, and our hero pauses in the middle of the fight to take a drink of the falling alcohol?

I noticed it last night in Raiders of the Lost Ark, the scene in Marion's bar in Mongolia. One of the Nazis/henchmen puts a round through a barrel of red liquid, and Marion stops fighting for a moment to have a drink by slurping it directly from the little booze waterfall. Anywhere earlier than that, in 1981?

I think Drunken Master did this in 1978.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I feel like that's a trope that goes way beyond movies, at least to the real life story of Robert Johnson (the real life version of the dude from O Brother).

The character in O Brother is Tommy Johnson, who was the original "sold his soul to the devil" guy. The story didn't begin to get associated with Robert Johnson until years after their deaths.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

CzarChasm posted:

O Brother Where Art Thou? is now going to be full of bright vibrant greens.

Interesting for you to bring that up...

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare10/o_brother_where_art_thou_.htm

:psyduck:

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

Did one of the dolphins in Life Aquatic have a name? A friend swears there was a named dolphin in that movie but gently caress if I remember anything like that

I don't think they're given names, and a quick scan of the script backs that up.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

No Gravitas posted:

Can anyone suggest a few good movies in the Magical Realism style?

I already know of Amelie and don't care for Woody Allen.

Synecdoche NY

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

One I'll always remember for some reason is from Con Air. The trailer had a scene where Nic Cage walks across the back of a bad guy stretched between two speeding trucks.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Even if you give up halfway through season 2 of Twin Peaks (it really goes downhill once you find out who killed Laura Palmer), it's worth skipping ahead to watch the last two episodes.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Mulholland Drive: The interpretation I tend to go with is that the first portion of the movie is a dream, she's living out her fantasy of being a wonderful actress, solving a mystery, the beautiful stranger falls in love with her, etc. In real life she's washed up and her lover left her for the director; in her grief she commissioned the hitman. Representations of her guilt (the blue key, the monster behind the diner, the police knocking on the apartment door) keep intruding into her dream, culminating in the Club Silencio scene and unlocking the blue box. From there on we see a whirlwind of "real-life" scenes, ending with the attack of tiny old people and suicide. Of course, you shouldn't try to explain everything in the film literally, both because Lynch doesn't work that way, and it was cobbled together from a scrapped TV pilot.

Edit: ^^^ what he said ^^^

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Rabbit Hill posted:

Hmm, I don't think Fight Club is what I was remembering, and I haven't seen the other films mentioned, although this is hilarious --

It's clearly a much more commonly used device than I was aware of. This is the Beck video that uses it (zoom-outs start around 2:50)--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa3rBVb3v4g

Did anyone mention Synecdoche, NY?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hey, if a camera tilts horizontally, like say for a Dutch angle, you might describe the camera as "rotating along the X axis" right? Like, the X axis is the roll axis?

Correct. Rotating along the Y axis would be if camera were tilting up and down.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Skwirl posted:

What's the movie were Willem Dafoe plays a cop and they do this for one scene where he's questioning the main character and it alternates between takes where Dafoe is being really friendly, then hella suspicious and accusatory? (At least I think it's Willem Dafoe).

American Psycho

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I want to know how much people pay for Metallica songs now, because watching Paradise Lost 1 recently made my jaw drop. There's like 2 albums worth of songs on it.

The West Memphis Three documentary? I believe Metallica donated the use of their songs in that case.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I think you're thinking of It's a Wonderful Life, not Miracle on 34th St.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

thehandtruck posted:

What's with PTA casting the same guy for 2 roles in There Will Be Blood? It's so odd. Like I thought maybe Eli had some sort of dual personality thing going on or metaphor but in the wiki it just said the other actor quit so they had Dano do that part as Paul too. Such a small scene, why not just have some other actor do it?

IIRC, Dano was cast as Paul originally, they shot his scenes first, then PTA liked him so much he told the original Eli actor to take a hike and made them identical twins.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Yeah, if you look at a list of "highest grossing" actors compiled by the totals of everything they've appeared in, the top spot is occupied by Frank Welker, a voice actor in the new Transformers movies as well as just about every kids movie and TV show made in the past 20 years.

Sam Jackson is #2

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Yeah, this is the list I was going by. Stan Lee is actually on there at #4, with just 23 movies under his belt (compared to 114 for Samuel L. Jackson.) Johnny Depp is at #23, and Radcliffe is all the way down at #82.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Dr_Amazing posted:

What do you call the genre of movies like Airplane, Hotshots, and the Naked Gun ? I'd call them parodies I guess, but is there a name for a comedy that has constant on screen jokes while the plot is played straight faced?

Spoof

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I've got some Night of the Hunter questions for SubG:

What, exactly, is going on with John? There's the watch, which seems to tie him to the preacher, and his late night commiserating with Lillian Gish and the apple. I can't quite figure it.

I came across an essay that talks about this a bit back when I first saw it

quote:

And the Virgin is associated with a variety of trees, the palm, the olive, the plantain. Miz Cooper tells us, “I'm a strong tree with branches for many birds.” She and John exchange apples. In many paintings of Mary she or the Child holds an apple, a sign of man’s fall and the need for redemption by her son. John gives her an apple for Christmas and she calls it, “the richest gift a body could have,” our humanity.

Rachel also gives John a watch for Christmas The men at the beginning are "doing time." The watch signifies both mortality and masculinity: “It'll be nice to have someone around the house who can give me the right time of day.” Time is our mortality, as is the apple. Miz Cooper has given John the gift of our common humanity, very different from the gift of $10,000 his father tried to give him.

http://www.asharperfocus.com/Nightof.html

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Also, the reflection on the water makes the moon look like its behind them, but they're lit from the front

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Duck and roll, timmy

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I heard he decided to take time off from major roles to raise his kids? It's not like he could be hurting for money.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

They're CG.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

ninjahedgehog posted:

Jurassic Park: Do they ever explain why the Triceratops was sick? Laura Dern assumes it's the lilacs, but when she inspects the pile of poo she doesn't find any, and the vet says it happens every six weeks. Does it have something to do with the sex-changing? Or the fact that the Brachisaurus is sick also?

The explanation was cut from the movie, but it's in the book. Triceratops (and the stegosaurus in the book) have a gizzard to help digest their food, so they need to swallow stones to help with grinding every 6 weeks or so. The triceratops was accidentally eating some of the poison berries when it would pick up new stones. There's a bit of a hint at it with Laura Dern picking up and looking at some of the stones.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I don't really remember if it's a "twist" or not, but the Silent Hill movie has a pretty bad part at the end where the protagonist meets the evil little girl or whatever and she carefully explains everything that happened in monologue over footage of the events being discussed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Yeah, astronaut story is definitely metaphorical. I'm not sold on it being him literally completing her book so much as just representing his denying and eventually accepting her death and his grief, but the meaning is pretty much the same either way. It drove me up the wall back when it first came out and all the reviews talked about how it was about reincarnation and time travel.